inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MUSIC Q&A: VOLUME 2 <GAME OVER>

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/09 at 10:07 pm

LIMIT = 0

Like the previous quiz, guesses are guesses whether they are right or wrong.  Right guesses give you a point.  Wrong guesses cost you a guess, causing the answer to be revealed, and no points can be collected on that question.  All questions are worth 1 point each and half guesses do not count.  Either you are right or you are wrong; You have only 3 chances, so guess wisely ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCORING:  Guesses given (Total score)

oBobi - 3 (3) | Frank - 3 (3) | Gibbo - 3 (2) | Henk - 6 (6) | Indy Gent - 2 (2) | karen - 3 (3) | loki 13 - 3 (2) | maddog - 6 (6) | Paul - 8 | Philip Eno - 3 (3)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 1:  BAND HISTORY

01 | Fill in the missing information from this chart (I made this chart by the way.  Cool, eh? lol)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/whistledog/Genesis1.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/whistledog/Genesis2.jpg

ANSWERS REVEALED:
A - Steve Hackett
B - Peter Gabriel
C - Paul Carrack
D - Mike Rutherford
E - Mike + the Mechanics

02 | Which member of Duran Duran never had a hit song (credited as a solo artist) outside of Duran Duran?
A - Nick Rhodes CORRECT!
B - Simon LeBon
C - Andy Taylor
D - John Taylor

03 | Before topping the chart with 'Ghostbusters' in 1984, Ray Parker Jr. already had many hits to his credit.  Surprisingly, there are some people who don't know this.  He started his success as lead singer for an R&B Group and hit the Top 20 in many countries with their first single.  What was the band, what was the song and what year was it out?
Raydio - Jack and Jill (1978)

04 | Who holds the record as the most successful duo in the history of recorded music? Daryl Hall and John Oates

PART 2:  BAND SPIN-OFFS

05 | Big Country The Skids
06 | Big Audio Dynamite The Clash
07 | Wax (UK) 10cc
08 | Pepsi & Shirlie Wham!
09 | Heaven 17 The Human League
10 | New Order Joy Divison
11 | Bow Wow Wow Adam and the Ants

PART 3:  SOUNDTRACK

12 | What were the only two James Bond films of the 80s to have a chart single as well as the title song to the film.  What were the songs and who performed them?
THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - Title song by A-ha; Where Has Everybody Gone? - The Pretenders
LICENSE TO KILL - Title song by Gladys Knight; If You Asked Me To - Patti Labelle

13 | What was the only James Bond film of the 80s that didn't have a chart hit with the title song to the film?
Never Say Never Again

14 | The 1985 hit 'Heaven' by Bryan Adams was originally recorded for a motion picture.  What was it? A Night in Heaven

15 | In 1974, this 1954 hit re-charted in the USA due to it's use as the theme song to a TV series.  What was the song, who performed it, and what was the show? Bill Haley and His Comets from the TV series 'Happy Days'

16 | Originally a minor US hit in 1980, an episode of the sitcom Family Ties would re-popularize this song making it a Top 20 hit in the mid 80s.  What was the song, and who performed it? At This Moment - Billy Vera and the Beaters

17 | The theme song to the short-lived 1979 sitcom 'Angie' was a smash hit.  What was it called, and who sang it? Different Worlds - Maureen McGovern

PART 4:  ONE HIT WONDERS - COUNTRY SPECIFIC

18 | This Australian band, known for many hits in their homeland was a one hit wonder in both the UK and Canada, with different songs (Live it Up, 1987 - UK | Too Many Times, 1982 - Canada)
Mental As Anything

19 | This popular Dutch singer had many hits in his homeland.  Despite just missing the Top 40, he was a one hit wonder in Canada with the song 'No More Boleros' in 1989
Gerard Joling

20 | In the Top 40, Tom Cochrane was a one hit wonder in America with 'Life is A Highway' in 1992.  Prior to this song, he was well-known in his native Canada as lead singer for what band?
Red Rider

21 | Which British band had only 1 Top 40 hit in the UK?  How many Top 40 hits in the UK did the others have?
A - Wang Chung CORRECT!
B - The Outfield No hits in the UK Top 75
C - The Fixx No UK Top 40 hits

22 | This 1988 song was a lone Top 40 hit in the UK for this artist.  It originally began as a jingle for Coca-Cola and in 2006, re-entered the UK Top 40 in a dance remix form First Time - Robin Beck

23 | The Jam were a legendary UK Punk Band with many hits around the world.  Despite no hits in the US Hot 100, they were one hit wonders in Canada with what song?
A - Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
B - Town Called Malice CORRECT!
C - Beat Surrender
D - That's Entertainment

24 | The lone chart single in North America for this British band was a Top 40 hit in both Canada and the States.  They were the only artists of the 80s to have a Top 40 hit in North America with a song from an album that were both self-titled. Living in A Box

PART 5:  ALBUM TITLES
25 | The Lexicon of Love ABC
26 | Waking Up With the House on Fire Culture Club
27 | Love Beach Emerson, Lake and Palmer
28 | Make it Big Wham!
29 | Construction Time Again Depeche Mode
30 | I Say, I Say, I Say Erasure
31 | "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player" Elton John
32 | One of These Nights The Eagles
33 | Rockin' All Over the World Status Quo
34 | Willy and the Poor Boys Creedence Clearwater Revival
35 | "Hello, I Must Be Going!" Phil Collins

PART 6:  GO DUTCH

36 | Internationally, who was the most successful Dutch dance group during the 90s? 2 Unlimited
37 | This Dutch dance group reached the UK Top 40 twice in 2006, both with covers/samples of the 80s classics 'Somebody's Watching Me' and 'Super Freak' Beatfreakz
38 | This Dutch group holds the record for having the longest song title to reach the US Chart during the 80s Stars on 45 with their infamous single 'Medley: "Intro" / "Venus" / "Sugar Sugar" / "No Reply" / "I'll Be Back" / "Drive My Car" / "Do You Want to Know a Secret" / "We Can Work It Out" / "I Should Have Known Better" / "Nowhere Man" / "You're Going to Lose That Girl" / "Stars on 45'
39 | This Dutch group had a popular dance hit in th 80s with the song 'Say Yeah', which was also a UK Top 20 hit The Limit
40 | A yodel of a hit during the 1970s.  The artist and song title all rhyme Focus - Hocus Pocus

Subject: Re: MUSIC Q&A: VOLUME 2

Written By: gibbo on 05/28/09 at 10:22 pm

Part1
Question 3.  Band: radio  Song: Jack and Jill Year: 1978/79 ?...... I'll go with 1978.

Question 4 Simon and Garfunkel

Part3

Question 17  Different Worlds - Maureen McGovern (I was reading about this exact thing on this very forum a couple of weeks ago).

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/09 at 10:29 pm

Question 3.  Band: radio  Song: Jack and Jill Year: 1978/79 ?...... I'll go with 1978.

Question4 Simon and Garfunkel

#3 is correct. 
#4 is a good guess, but incorrect.  Answer revealed:  Daryl Hall and John Oates

You have 1 guess left :)

Written By: gibbo on 05/28/09 at 10:30 pm

#3 is correct. 

While you were posting I edited my original post and added another answer.... ;)

Written By: gibbo on 05/28/09 at 10:33 pm

#3 is correct. 

Who would have thought that H&O were more successful!  ;D  Great duo though. S&G would have had more hits but maybe more people could afford CD's etc by the time H&O came along...  What do you think?

Written By: Bobo on 05/28/09 at 10:41 pm

21: A, Wang Chung, only had one top 40 UK hit. Neither of the other two bands had a single top 40 hit.
28: Make it Big was by Wham!
37: These two awesome cuts were the only two UK top 40 hits for the Beatfreakz.

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/09 at 10:42 pm

Who would have thought that H&O were more successful!  ;D  Great duo though. S&G would have had more hits but maybe more people could afford CD's etc by the time H&O came along...  What do you think?

Had Paul Simon not gone solo and they'd have stayed together as a group, I think they would have given H&O strong competition, but with other strong contenders including Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, they wouldn't have had a chance.  I am actually surprised the Pet Shop Boys do not hold this record (Though if you take North America out of the equation, they probably do)

Your other answer is correct giving you a current final total of 2 points :)

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/09 at 10:44 pm

21: A, Wang Chung, only had one top 40 UK hit. Neither of the other two bands had a single top 40 hit.
28: Make it Big was by Wham!
37: These two awesome cuts were the only two UK top 40 hits for the Beatfreakz.

These are all correct answers.  3 for 3 :)

Written By: Bobo on 05/28/09 at 10:45 pm

These are all correct answers.  3 for 3 :)

Incidentally "Make It Big" was also a Beach Boys song I was listening to five minutes ago, so that nearly threw me completely off-line. :D

Written By: gibbo on 05/28/09 at 10:57 pm

Had Paul Simon not gone solo and they'd have stayed together as a group, I think they would have given H&O strong competition, but with other strong contenders including Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, they wouldn't have had a chance.  I am actually surprised the Pet Shop Boys do not hold this record (Though if you take North America out of the equation, they probably do)

Your other answer is correct giving you a current final total of 2 points :)

Thanks...and great quiz ..... of course, I got in early with some of the easier answers. I didn't even know that The Pet Shop Boys were a duo!  :o

Written By: loki 13 on 05/28/09 at 11:11 pm

Jason , another great one. I have to get these in before someone beats me to it.  ;D

Part 1 - A.....Steve Hackett?

27....Love Beach......Emerson Lake And Palmer? ( A contractoral obligation album but I like it anyway.  ;D )

31....Elton John?

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/09 at 11:43 pm

Jason , another great one. I have to get these in before someone beats me to it.  ;D

Part 1 - A.....Steve Hackett?

27....Love Beach......Emerson Lake And Palmer? ( A contractoral obligation album but I like it anyway.  ;D )

31....Elton John?

#27 and #31 are correct.  Unfortunately #1 is only partially correct, and as you gave a partial answer, no points for that one :(  The full answer will be revealed in the quiz

You got a current final total of 2 points :)

Written By: Frank on 05/29/09 at 12:45 am

16: At this moment ~ Billy Vera & the beaters
34: Creedence clearwater revival
35: Phil Collins

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/09 at 12:50 am

16: At this moment ~ Billy Vera & the beaters
34: Creedence clearwater revival
35: Phil Collins

3 for 3 Frank :)

Written By: Frank on 05/29/09 at 12:58 am

3 for 3 Frank :)

It makes it easy when I had about 1/2 the albums on that list.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/09 at 1:28 am

#12. The Living Daylights ~ A-ha
#13. Never Say Never Again

Written By: Henk on 05/29/09 at 1:31 am

Here's three from me:

#18:  Mental As Anything
#19:  Gerard Joling
#20:  Red Rider

Got a few more up my sleeve, but let's see how it goes.

Written By: Henk on 05/29/09 at 1:32 am

Now that you've answered it, I can reveal that I was thinking Octopussy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/09 at 1:49 am

Now that you've answered it, I can reveal that I was thinking Octopussy.
Octopussy had "All Time High" sung by Rita Coolidge.

Written By: Henk on 05/29/09 at 2:06 am

Octopussy had "All Time High" sung by Rita Coolidge.

Ah, you're right. I misread the question.

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/09 at 10:59 am

#12. The Living Daylights ~ A-ha

#13 is correct.  The title song performed by Lani Hall never charted

I am going to give you the point for #12 even though you didn't name the other song because I just realized I made an error in the question.  From the soundtrack of 'The Living Daylights', 'Where Has Everybody Gone?' by The Pretenders was a US Rock hit.  At the time, I was only looking at mainstream charts.  The answer I originally had was from 'License to Kill'.  The title song by Gladys Knight and 'If You Asked Me To' by Patti Labelle were both hits

You have 1 guess left Phil :)

Here's three from me:

#18:  Mental As Anything
#19:  Gerard Joling
#20:  Red Rider

Got a few more up my sleeve, but let's see how it goes.

4 for 3 Henk :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/09 at 11:06 am

#13 is correct.  The title song performed by Lani Hall never charted

I am going to give you the point for #12 even though you didn't name the other song because I just realized I made an error in the question.  From the soundtrack of 'The Living Daylights', 'Where Has Everybody Gone?' by The Pretenders was a US Rock hit.  At the time, I was only looking at mainstream charts.  The answer I originally had was from 'License to Kill'.  The title song by Gladys Knight and 'If You Asked Me To' by Patti Labelle were both hits

You have 1 guess left Phil :)

Thanks.

Is #33 Status Quo

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/09 at 11:18 am

Thanks.

Is #33 Status Quo

#33 is Status Quo yes.  This gives you 3 for 3 :)

Written By: Paul on 05/29/09 at 1:56 pm

Hi Jason...excellent stuff again and I'll take the bottom three (before Henk gets in again!  ;))

#38. Stars On 45 had the entire track list of their Beatles medley listed as the title of their American #1 record, for whatever reason, possibly something to do with copyright...

According to the official chart book it's just listed as 'Medley'...we did the decent thing as used their US group name as the title!  ;)

#39. is 'The Limit'...they also had a couple of pretty good 'bubbling under' songs too!
#40. 'Hocus Pocus' by Focus
        (No truth in the rumour that Smokie were planning to cover 'Hokey Cokey')

Written By: loki 13 on 05/29/09 at 5:44 pm

#27 and #31 are correct.  Unfortunately #1 is only partially correct, and as you gave a partial answer, no points for that one :(  The full answer will be revealed in the quiz

You got a current final total of 2 points :)

That's what I get for posting when I should've been in bed,  :-[

I wasn't sure how I should answer the chart, I didn't know if I should guess them all (for the record I could have) or just choose one. I chose wrong,
oh well, live and learn.

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/09 at 7:21 pm

Hi Jason...excellent stuff again and I'll take the bottom three (before Henk gets in again!  ;))

#38. Stars On 45 had the entire track list of their Beatles medley listed as the title of their American #1 record, for whatever reason, possibly something to do with copyright...

According to the official chart book it's just listed as 'Medley'...we did the decent thing as used their US group name as the title!  ;)

#39. is 'The Limit'...they also had a couple of pretty good 'bubbling under' songs too!
#40. 'Hocus Pocus' by Focus
        (No truth in the rumour that Smokie were planning to cover 'Hokey Cokey')

All these are correct Paul :)

And the odd thing was that was the only Stars on 45 song that did that.  Their next US hit was simply titled 'Medley II'.  What's even more odd is that 'Medley I' is often referred to as the Beatles medley which is incorrect as the song also contains 'Venus' and 'Sugar Sugar'

That's what I get for posting when I should've been in bed,  :-[

I wasn't sure how I should answer the chart, I didn't know if I should guess them all (for the record I could have) or just choose one. I chose wrong,
oh well, live and learn.

That's OK.  I almost put with that question that it was only worth 1 point, so all 5 responses counted under 1 guess lol

For the next quiz, I may throw in a few more charts like that

Written By: karen on 05/29/09 at 8:52 pm

8 Wham
10 Joy Division
25 ABC

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/09 at 9:04 pm

8 Wham
10 Joy Division
25 ABC

All of those are correct karen :)

I wasn't sure if anyone was gonna get the Pepsi and Shirlie one.  They were only background singers in Wham! and never really got notice until they went off on their own

Written By: karen on 05/29/09 at 9:26 pm

All of those are correct karen :)

I wasn't sure if anyone was gonna get the Pepsi and Shirlie one.  They were only background singers in Wham! and never really got notice until they went off on their own

I remember them in Wham Rap (I think thats what its called) and Bad Boys

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/09 at 8:38 am

I remember them in Wham Rap (I think thats what its called) and Bad Boys

They did have a prominent onscreen appearances in both those videos.  They can also be seen in close-ups in 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go'

Subject: Re: MUSIC Q&A: VOLUME 2 <LIMIT NOW 5>

Written By: Henk on 06/01/09 at 2:41 am

Two more? Okay...

7. Andrew Gold and Graham Gouldman of Wax were originally members of 10CC.
11. The male members of Bow Wow Wow were originally the Ants (to Adam and the Ants), and David Barbarossa later joined the ranks of Republica.

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/09 at 6:07 am

Two more? Okay...

7. Andrew Gold and Graham Gouldman of Wax were originally members of 10CC.
11. The male members of Bow Wow Wow were originally the Ants (to Adam and the Ants), and David Barbarossa later joined the ranks of Republica.

These are correct :)

Written By: maddog on 06/01/09 at 6:07 pm

Hi Jason

PART 2: BAND SPIN-OFFS

You're right in my era here with 05, 06 and 09:

#05 Big Country was a spin-off from Scottish punk band The Skids, featuring the late Stuart Adamson on guitar
#06 Big Audio Dynamite was the Mick Jones' spin-off band after the breakup of The Clash
#09 Heaven 17 was an spin-off from the early trio incarnation of The Human League, when Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh left Phil Oakey behind to recruit new members into their most popular early 80s form

As for my other 2 guesses:

#29 Construction Time Again was an early Depeche Mode album

#30 I Say, I Say, I Say was an Erasure album (produced by Martyn Ware, formerly of Heaven 17 and The Human League....I can see you don't just throw these quizzes together randomly Jason  ;))

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/09 at 7:17 pm

Hi Jason

PART 2: BAND SPIN-OFFS

You're right in my era here with 05, 06 and 09:

#05 Big Country was a spin-off from Scottish punk band The Skids, featuring the late Stuart Adamson on guitar
#06 Big Audio Dynamite was the Mick Jones' spin-off band after the breakup of The Clash
#09 Heaven 17 was an spin-off from the early trio incarnation of The Human League, when Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh left Phil Oakey behind to recruit new members into their most popular early 80s form

As for my other 2 guesses:

#29 Construction Time Again was an early Depeche Mode album

#30 I Say, I Say, I Say was an Erasure album (produced by Martyn Ware, formerly of Heaven 17 and The Human League....I can see you don't just throw these quizzes together randomly Jason  ;))

All of these are correct Graham :)

Mick Jones was fired from The Clash before their breakup.  He was brefiy a member of General Public (he played guitar on their massive North American hit 'Tenderness') before forming Big Audio Dynamite in 1984, one year before Strummer released 'Cut the Crap', which would become the final Clash album.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/02/09 at 5:22 pm

14. A Night In Heaven
15. "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley and His Comets from "Happy Days".

Subject: Re: MUSIC Q&A: VOLUME 2 <LIMIT REMOVED>

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/09 at 7:40 pm

14. A Night In Heaven
15. "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley and His Comets from "Happy Days".

Those are correct Jonathan :)

With 7 questions left, I have removed the limit.  It is still anyone's game.  Who will be the victor?

Written By: maddog on 06/03/09 at 3:47 am

#26 "Waking Up With The House On Fire" is an old album by Culture Club.

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/09 at 6:20 am

#26 "Waking Up With The House On Fire" is an old album by Culture Club.

This is correct :)

Written By: Paul on 06/03/09 at 6:56 am

Hi again Jason...

#22. The woefully insipid 'First Time' - Robin Beck
#32. (Can't believe no-one's nabbed this!) The Eagles

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/09 at 6:58 am

Hi again Jason...

Never liked that record for it knock Enya of the number slot.

Written By: maddog on 06/03/09 at 7:27 am

I'll also take a wild stab that #36 could have been The Venga Boys?

Written By: Henk on 06/03/09 at 1:07 pm

You could be right. Either them, or 2 Unlimited - but strictly speaking, 2 Unlimited was a Belgian production.

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/09 at 7:08 pm

Hi again Jason...

#32. (Can't believe no-one's nabbed this!) The Eagles

Both of those are correct!  I am actually susprised no one got The Eagles either.  When I made the quiz, I was sure it would be one of the first ones to go lol

That is a very good guess, one which I originally would have thought was the right answer also ...

You could be right. Either them, or 2 Unlimited - but strictly speaking, 2 Unlimited was a Belgian production.

... but it is 2 Unlimited.  The producers were Belgian yes, but the name itself was formed in Amsterdam, and both Ray and Anita are from NL. 

Interestingly enough, though both Vengaboys and 2 Unlimited had major success almost everywhere, they both remained one hit wonders in the US (according to the Top 40; Based on the whole US Top 100, both groups were two hit wonders).

Written By: Paul on 06/04/09 at 2:40 pm

Total guess on #2. - I know the Taylors had solo excusions (which didn't do much!) which leaves the other pair...so I'll plump for Nick Rhodes...

Another total guess on #23. - good songs as they were, I can't see the Canucks being enthralled by the slices of British underbelly that was 'Tube Station' and 'Entertainment'...so I'll go for the more commercial of the remaining pair...'A Town Called Malice'

#24. Living In A Box

Subject: Re: MUSIC Q&A: VOLUME 2 <GAME OVER>

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/09 at 7:17 pm

Total guess on #2. - I know the Taylors had solo excusions (which didn't do much!) which leaves the other pair...so I'll plump for Nick Rhodes...

Another total guess on #23. - good songs as they were, I can't see the Canucks being enthralled by the slices of British underbelly that was 'Tube Station' and 'Entertainment'...so I'll go for the more commercial of the remaining pair...'A Town Called Malice'.

#24. Living In A Box

#2 is correct, it was Nick Rhodes.  Andy Taylor had a US Top 40 in 1986 with 'Take it Easy'.  John Taylor had a 1986 Top 40 with 'I Do What I Do' and in remix form, Simon LeBon appeared with Dutch DJ Ferry Corsten on the barely UK Top 40 hit 'Fire' in 2004 (which was more or less just a looped sample of Duran Duran's miniscule 1990 hit 'Serious')

#23 is also correct, it was 'A Town Called Malice'.  In 1982, it became The Jam's only chart single in Canada, and was Paul Weller's only entry into the Canadian Top 40.  He did almost do it again in 1983 with 'Long Hot Summer', but it stalled at #41 (both 'Big Log' by Robert Plant and 'Superstar' by Lydia Murdock' prevented it from reaching #40)

#24 is indeed Living in A Box

And with this, you have 8 points crowning you Champion.  Congratulations Paul! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...