inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quiz From The Heart (quiz closed, remaining answers given, bookmistress wins)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/14/12 at 9:13 pm

Scores:

bookmistress4ever-18

lorac61469-3

whistledog-2

*Ash*-1

gibbo-1

nally-3.5

snozberries-1

Henk-11.5

Karen-3.5

Since it's Valentine's Day, and having been through two heart procedures, I figured that I would have this little quiz. All answers have the word "Heart" in them. No limits.

1. I'll see you on the street some other time. (Straight From The Heart-Bryan Adams) bookmistress4ever

2. I'm under your spell like a man in a trance. (Unchain My Heart-Ray Charles) Henk/bookmistress4ever

3. Oh you gotta fire and it's burnin' in the rain. (Heartbeat-The Fray) lorac61469

4. Dear when you smiled at me, I heard a melody.(Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart-The Trammps or Judy Garland) Henk/Karen

5. The Blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art. (Hint: Like #1, by a Canadian artist/band) (Closer To The Heart-Rush) /bookmistress4ever

6. There's a hollow sound in this empty room. (Still Right Here In My Heart-Pure Prairie League)

7. 'cause I can't speak, I'm looking at you. (Heart Attack-Olivia Newton-John)

8. Don't leave me here with these tears. (Unbreak My Heart-Toni Braxton) bookmistress4ever

9. I don't need another lonely night to dry my tears. (Edge of a Broken Heart-Vixen) bookmistress4ever/nally

10. Is it East versus West or Man versus Man. (Burning Heart-Survivor) bookmistress4ever

11. Turn around Bright Eyes. (Total Eclipse of the Heart-Bonnie Tyler) snozberries

12.  You will hate that I never gave more to you. (Half of My Heart-John Mayer)

13. Cut myself on angel hair and baby's breath. (Heart Shaped Box-Nirvana) Henk

14. Drowning me in your promises, better left unsaid. (Heartbreaker-Pat Benatar) nally

15. Your father must have been a real stone cutter. (Artificial Heart-Chirrelle) bookmistress4ever

16. When the one you love's in love with someone else. (My Heart Can't Tell You No-Rod Stewart) *Ash*

17.  I learned to live half alive. (Jar of Hearts-Christina Perri) lorac61469

18.  I just thought I'd write a song. (Hearts-Marty Balin) bookmistress4ever

19.  If I asked you to scratch my back, could you manage that? (Stereo Hearts-Gym Class Heroes) lorac61469

20.  If you can survive 'til one hundred and five. (Young At Heart-Frank Sinatra) bookmistress4ever

21.  Pictures pass before my eyes. (Heartbeat, It's A Lovebeat-The DeFranco Family) whistledog

22.  How can love survive in such a graceless age? (The Heart Of The Matter-Don Henley) gibbo

23. Here I am down in Kingstown again. (Hungry Heart-Bruce Springsteen) bookmistress4ever

24. They're just dreamers killing time. (Hot Rod Hearts-Robbie DePree) whistledog

25. 'Cause sometimes the world ain't kind. (Heartlight-Neil Diamond) bookmistress4ever

26. There was a time when I believed that you belonged to me. (Cold Cold Heart-Hank Williams) /bookmistress4ever

Subject: Re: Quiz From The Heart

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/12 at 10:05 pm

11 total eclipse of the heart Bonnie tyler

Great quiz I just suck at song lyrics  :D

Written By: wildcard on 02/14/12 at 10:15 pm

Don't recognize any now if I know the songs.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/14/12 at 11:43 pm

11 total eclipse of the heart Bonnie tyler

Great quiz I just suck at song lyrics  :D

You got one of the easy ones, snoz.  ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/15/12 at 1:13 am

2. I'm under your spell like a man in a trance.

But you know damn well that I don't stand a chance...Please...
Unchain My Heart - Joe Cocker. 8)

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/12 at 9:15 am

#21 is Heartbeat (It's A Lovebeat) by The DeFranco Family, one of Canada's finest exports
#24 is 'Hot Rod Hearts' by Robbie Dupree. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/15/12 at 9:36 am

#3 Heartbeat by The Fray
#19 Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes?
#17 Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri

I'd like to give the credit to my children for making me sit through hours of listening to 94.9, the only radio station in our area that plays the same set of songs over and over and over and... ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/15/12 at 10:31 am

Dang it!  Carol beat me to 17 and 19!  >:(  ;)

16 is "My Heart Can't Tell You No" by Rod Stewart.

Written By: nally on 02/15/12 at 11:50 am

14 is "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar.

There's at least one or two of 'em that look vaguely familiar, but I can't quite place them. So this is all I got for now.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/15/12 at 9:13 pm

You got the song right, Henk. :)  But I need the original artist.  :-\\

But you know damn well that I don't stand a chance...Please...
Unchain My Heart - Joe Cocker. 8)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/15/12 at 9:15 pm

#21 is Heartbeat (It's A Lovebeat) by The DeFranco Family, one of Canada's finest exports
#24 is 'Hot Rod Hearts' by Robbie Dupree.

Correct on all,  whistledog.  :) :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/15/12 at 9:16 pm

#3 Heartbeat by The Fray
#19 Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes?
#17 Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri

I'd like to give the credit to my children for making me sit through hours of listening to 94.9, the only radio station in our area that plays the same set of songs over and over and over and... ;D

Correct on all, lorac. :) :) :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/15/12 at 9:17 pm

Dang it!  Carol beat me to 17 and 19!  >:(  ;)

16 is "My Heart Can't Tell You No" by Rod Stewart.

Correct, ash. :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/15/12 at 9:18 pm

Good evening, nally. You are correct. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/15/12 at 10:37 pm

1. Stop draggin' my heart around - Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks?

20. Young at heart by ummm... Dean Martin maybe or Frank Sinatra... not sure who did it now.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/15/12 at 10:45 pm

23. Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen (Although I think the lyric is "Kingston (NJ)"  This is one of those famous misheard lyrics.

Written By: Henk on 02/16/12 at 3:04 am

You got the song right, Henk. :)  But I need the original artist.  :-\\

Well, I only know the Joe Cocker version. :-\\ Guess I should've realized it was a cover. :-[

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/16/12 at 6:17 pm

23. Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen (Although I think the lyric is "Kingston (NJ)"  This is one of those famous misheard lyrics.

According to the lyrics pages, the place that he is referring to is Kingstown, which is the capital of the country of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. But Bruce might have meant Kingston, which would make sense since he is from New Jersey.

BTW, bookmistress, you are correct. ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/16/12 at 6:22 pm

1. Stop draggin' my heart around - Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks?

20. Young at heart by ummm... Dean Martin maybe or Frank Sinatra... not sure who did it now.

Good guess on #1. but incorrect. :(

20. is correct, and is by Ol' Blue Eyes himself. :)

Written By: gibbo on 02/16/12 at 8:25 pm

#22 Heart of the Matter - Don Henley

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/16/12 at 9:44 pm

#22 Heart of the Matter - Don Henley

Correct, gibbo. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/16/12 at 9:59 pm

6. Unbreak my heart - Toni Braxton?

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/18/12 at 3:51 pm

Sorry, incorrect, but that answer can be found somewhere else on this quiz.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/18/12 at 4:03 pm

Then maybe it is 8.?

Also, 10 was driving me nuts, I KNOW this one, but couldn't remember what it was.  It was from Rocky 5, by Survivor - Burning Heart.

Subject: Re: Quiz From The Heart (Now No Limits)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/18/12 at 4:05 pm

7. might be Cyndi Lauper - Change of heart

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/18/12 at 4:13 pm

6. Foolish Heart by Steve Perry?

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/18/12 at 5:49 pm

Then maybe it is 8.?

Also, 10 was driving me nuts, I KNOW this one, but couldn't remember what it was.  It was from Rocky 5, by Survivor - Burning Heart.

Yes it is 8.  ;)

Sorry, 6 and 7 are both incorrect.  :( :(
10. is also correct. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/20/12 at 2:06 am

1. is driving me nuts, I can hear the sound of the lyric but can't get to the chorus where the title is usually said... 

Subject: Re: Quiz From The Heart (All remaining answers worth 5 bonus points)

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/10/12 at 1:08 pm

Since this quiz has come to a standstill, all remaining (completely unanswered) answers are now worth 5 bonus points. That means a completely correct answer (both artist and title correct) is worth 6 total points, and half-correct answers are worth 3.5 points. Since the title of  #2 has already been answered, the correct artist is worth 3.5 points, unless Henk answers, then he gets all 6 points credit for answering both. Good luck, Penguins. ;)

Written By: Henk on 03/10/12 at 5:04 pm

Took me some time, but I think I recognize one more...

#4. Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart

Now I only know the Trammps version, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/10/12 at 8:40 pm

Took me some time, but I think I recognize one more...

#4. Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart

Now I only know the Trammps version, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

Right on both counts, Henk. I'm looking for a different artist. :) :)

Subject: Re: Quiz From The Heart (All remaining answers worth 6 points)

Written By: karen on 03/11/12 at 8:53 am

#4 Judu Garland.  Or is that a totaly different song I'm getting muddled with

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/11/12 at 7:46 pm

#4 Judu Garland.  Or is that a totaly different song I'm getting muddled with

Correct. :)

Written By: Henk on 03/12/12 at 3:39 am

If you are looking for the original artist, it's not Judy Garland. :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/13/12 at 12:29 am

If you are looking for the original artist, it's not Judy Garland. :-\\

I am looking for Judy Garland, beacuse I do not know who the original artist is. She is the only one I remember singing this song.

Written By: Henk on 03/13/12 at 1:28 am

I am looking for Judy Garland, beacuse I do not know who the original artist is. She is the only one I remember singing this song.

Fair enough. Your quiz, your rules, I suppose.
I was only asking because you are looking for the original artist on #2. That seemed a bit inconsistent IMO. But hey - it's your quiz, and I'm not here to start an argument. :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/15/12 at 9:28 pm

Fair enough. Your quiz, your rules, I suppose.
I was only asking because you are looking for the original artist on #2. That seemed a bit inconsistent IMO. But hey - it's your quiz, and I'm not here to start an argument. :)

I apologize if I was a bit anal. Since Frank did sing it before Judy did, I'll give you credit for 6 points and Karen still gets her 3.5, just to be fair.

Written By: Henk on 03/16/12 at 3:38 am

I apologize if I was a bit anal. Since Frank did sing it before Judy did, I'll give you credit for 6 points and Karen still gets her 3.5, just to be fair.

OK, this is getting confusing.

I never mentioned Frank. I only mentioned The Trammps. After that, I cheated did a google search to find out who the original artist was and provided you with a link. So I don't think I deserve any points at all.
Of course you're free to do as you please. Like I said: it is YOUR quiz, so I'll go by YOUR rules.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/17/12 at 3:08 pm

OK, this is getting confusing.

I never mentioned Frank. I only mentioned The Trammps. After that, I cheated did a google search to find out who the original artist was and provided you with a link. So I don't think I deserve any points at all.
Of course you're free to do as you please. Like I said: it is YOUR quiz, so I'll go by YOUR rules.

Sorry, I guess I thought you said it was Frank. :-[  I just googled the Trammps, so you still get the points).

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/08/12 at 8:38 pm

Should I just give out the rest of the answers or delete the quiz altogether, since I've already sabotaged my own lyrics quiz? I didn't realize how unpopular these short quizzes (at least mine) have gotten and the movie guessing quizzes have taken over. I will still leave this quiz open until there is a reply of some kind. Again I apologize to anyone I have confused or angered with my previous attempt to correct an earlier mistake.

Written By: Henk on 05/08/12 at 11:54 pm

Should I just give out the rest of the answers or delete the quiz altogether, since I've already sabotaged my own lyrics quiz? I didn't realize how unpopular these short quizzes (at least mine) have gotten and the movie guessing quizzes have taken over. I will still leave this quiz open until there is a reply of some kind. Again I apologize to anyone I have confused or angered with my previous attempt to correct an earlier mistake.

Please don't delete.

It's just that I don't recognize any of the remaining songs. :( Maybe you could post some hints?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/09/12 at 12:22 am

No, don't take it personally.  I, too, do not know any of the others, although I've been trying to come up with something

Subject: Re: Quiz From The Heart (with hints, new #9, whole answers still worth 5 pts.)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/13/12 at 10:47 pm

Bumped up with hints. If you're still stuck, please ask for more.

Subject: Re: Quiz From The Heart (with hints, new #9, whole answers still worth 5 pts.)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/14/12 at 1:38 am

6. Band might be Looking Glass?

Written By: Henk on 05/14/12 at 5:33 am

1. I'll see you on the street some other time. (Hint: The artist is Canadian and Bonnie Tyler did a cover.)

I'm stumped on this one. The only two Bonnie Tyler songs I can think of are It's A Heartache and Total Eclipse Of The Heart, but both were original recordings. So this must be a song I'm not at all familiar with.

5. The Blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art. (Hint: Like #1, by a Canadian artist/band)

Hmm. That could still be a lot of artists/bands.

6. There's a hollow sound in this empty room. (The title of this band's other hit was a girl's name.)

Sorry, that didn't help me much. Not your fault.

7. 'cause I can't speak, I'm looking at you. (By an Aussie singer, the song was released as a single only and came right after her biggest hit.)

I really oughta know the singer. I must've used her songs in my own quizzes, but I can't think of her name right now. :-Helen Shapiro! But I don't know the song.

9. I don't need another lonely night to dry my tears. (By an all-female rock band.)

Heart? ??? 4 Non Blondes? :-\\  Those are the only two I can think of right now.

12. You will hate that I never gave more to you. ( I am looking for the male singer, but Taylor Swift did a cover.)

Wait... didn't she have a song My Heart Belongs To You? Or am I totally making things up here?

13. Cut myself on angel hair and baby's breath. (Two-words: Kurt Cobain)

Oh, so it's a Nirvana song. Is it Heart Shaped Box..?  :-\\

15. Your father must have been a real stone cutter. (By a female singer who's biggest hit was redone and made a hit by Robert Palmer.)

18.  I just thought I'd write a song. (The singer used to be with Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship, but was not with Starship.)

No, sorry...drawing a blank on these two.

25. 'Cause sometimes the world ain't kind. (The singer was written about a big screen extra-terrestrial)

I'm confused about the hint.

26. There was a time when I believed that you belonged to me.
(This is an old country song by one of the greatest vocalists in histroy, and was covered by Norah Jones.)

Johnny Cash? ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/14/12 at 2:17 pm

18, Hearts? by Martin Balin?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/14/12 at 2:19 pm

25. Turn on your Heartlight? by uhhh... Neil Diamond or um... that other dude.  :-\\

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/14/12 at 2:21 pm

9. The Go-go's or the Bangals?

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/12 at 7:54 pm

I'm stumped on this one. The only two Bonnie Tyler songs I can think of are It's A Heartache and Total Eclipse Of The Heart, but both were original recordings. So this must be a song I'm not at all familiar with.

Hmm. That could still be a lot of artists/bands.

Sorry, that didn't help me much. Not your fault.

I really oughta know the singer. I must've used her songs in my own quizzes, but I can't think of her name right now. :-Helen Shapiro! But I don't know the song.

Heart? ??? 4 Non Blondes? :-\\  Those are the only two I can think of right now.

Wait... didn't she have a song My Heart Belongs To You? Or am I totally making things up here?

Oh, so it's a Nirvana song. Is it Heart Shaped Box..?  :-\\

No, sorry...drawing a blank on these two.

I'm confused about the hint.

Johnny Cash? ???

Right on #13. :)

Wrong on everything else.  :( (I will try to come up with better hints.)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/12 at 7:55 pm

18, Hearts? by Martin Balin?

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/12 at 7:56 pm

25. Turn on your Heartlight? by uhhh... Neil Diamond or um... that other dude.  :-\\

Neil Diamond is correct, and so is Heartlight. :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/12 at 8:04 pm

9. The Go-go's or the Bangals?

Sorry, neither are correct. :(

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/12 at 8:16 pm

Some additions to hints.

Written By: nally on 05/18/12 at 8:19 pm

The band for #9 must be Vixen (I don't know of any band called Donner or Comet or Rudolph...), but I don't know the song title.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/12 at 8:55 pm

The band for #9 must be Vixen (I don't know of any band called Donner or Comet or Rudolph...), but I don't know the song title.

Correct on artist, nally. 2.5 for you. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/18/12 at 9:33 pm

1. Straight from the heart - Bryan Adams

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/18/12 at 9:35 pm

2. Ray Charles, maybe?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/18/12 at 9:37 pm

9. Edge of a broken heart?  (I think they did that one...)  :-\\

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/18/12 at 9:39 pm

15. Cherise?  lol guessing on a title... Fake Heart, or artificial heart, or uh... robot heart?  :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/18/12 at 9:41 pm

26.  Random Guess because my friend just made a cover of this song on youtube... Your Cheatin' Heart - Hank Williams?

Written By: Henk on 05/19/12 at 4:57 am

Did I really type Helen Shapiro for #7? :-Reddy, but I'm beginning to think it's not her either.
Instead I'll try Kylie Minogue.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/19/12 at 3:22 pm

26.  Random Guess because my friend just made a cover of this song on youtube... Your Cheatin' Heart - Hank Williams?

Good guess on the title, but incorrect. I'll give you credit for Hank Williams. :) (Think temperature for title)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/19/12 at 3:24 pm

Did I really type Helen Shapiro for #7? :-Reddy, but I'm beginning to think it's not her either.
Instead I'll try Kylie Minogue.

All good guesses, all incorrect. (think movie musicals)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/19/12 at 4:22 pm

5. Rush?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/21/12 at 1:24 am

2. Ray Charles, maybe?

9. Edge of a broken heart?  (I think they did that one...)  :-\\

15. Cherise?  lol guessing on a title... Fake Heart, or artificial heart, or uh... robot heart?  :D

1. Straight from the heart - Bryan Adams

Sorry, I got confused by this statement:

Does that mean none of my guesses are correct as well?  :)

Written By: Henk on 05/22/12 at 5:33 am

Sorry, but I'm out of guesses. :(

...And then I gave in and googled the remaining lyrics. :-[ Can't say as I've ever heard of the remaining songs. :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/24/12 at 6:16 pm

5. Rush?

Correct, 2.5

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/24/12 at 6:21 pm

Sorry, I got confused by this statement:
Does that mean none of my guesses are correct as well?  :)

It means that all of those are correct, I just forgot to read your post. :) # 15 is actually Chirrelle, but I'l give it to you so I can put this quiz to bed.

Written By: Henk on 05/28/12 at 1:58 am

It means that all of those are correct, I just forgot to read your post. :) # 15 is actually Chirrelle, but I'l give it to you so I can put this quiz to bed.

Thanks for the quiz. It was fun playing, even though I don't know half of the songs. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...