inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rate these movies that we watched in Film class

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/01/04 at 12:42 pm

ok, rate these movies that I watched in film class this year.......comments always welcome

North by Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959)
Nanook of the North (Flaherty, 1922)
A trip to the moon (Melies, 1902)
The Wizard of Oz (Flemming, 1939)
The Great Train Robbery (Porter, 1903)
Lonedale Operator (Griffith, 1911)
Meet me in St. Louis (Minnelli, 1944)
Rebel without a cause (Ray, 1954)
Appocalypse now (Coppola, 1979)
The Graduate (Nicols, 1970)
The Battleship Potemkin (Odessa Steps sequence) (Eisenstein, 1925)
Sunset Boulevard (Wilder, 1950)
Breathless (Goddard, 1960)
Goodfellas (Scorsesse, 1993)
Touch of Evil (Welles, 1955)
Shadow of a doubt (Hitchcock, 1943)
The Birds (Hitchcock, 1963)
Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge (????..1963?)
Shane (Stevens, 1953)
Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
Do the RIght thing (Lee, 1989)
Daniel (Lumet, 1985)

who did make Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge?  I know ROd Sterling used it as the last episode of the Twilight ZOne (though he changed it around a bit)......shoot...Ill have to look this up

Subject: Re: Rate these movies that we watched in Film class

Written By: elodie on 05/07/04 at 7:59 am

I graduated from film school in 1999... but most of these films I saw on my own.

North by Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959) - Cary Grant is lovely, but this movie bored me. I had to watch it for school.

A trip to the moon (Melies, 1902) - Loved this! It's so camp (especially now, what with special effects and all) it's hard not to like!

The Wizard of Oz (Flemming, 1939) - I grew up on this movie. For years I was terrified of flying monkeys. I wasn't impressed with the colour, even way back when.

The Great Train Robbery (Porter, 1903) - Short, but sweet. I liked the random dancing =)

Rebel without a cause (Ray, 1954) - It's really a shame James Dean died so young, he could have been a really, really great actor, and a huge movie star. There's something so sad about his acting, even back before he died people could see it.

Appocalypse now (Coppola, 1979) - Great movie. Even greater when you watch "Heart of Darkness: The Making of a Jerk," which is his wife's recounting of the making of the movie, and all the disasters that went along with it.

The Graduate (Nicols, 1970) - This is a classic, for a number of reasons, least of all for, "Plastics, Benjamin." Anne Bancroft was never more stunning (in my opinion) then when she was Mrs. Robinson.

The Battleship Potemkin (Odessa Steps sequence) (Eisenstein, 1925) - I only remember this film for the steps, which were amazing.

Goodfellas (Scorsesse, 1993) - this was so violent, I was too uncomfortable to enjoy it.

The Birds (Hitchcock, 1963) - While 'Psycho' remains one of his most recognizeable films, this one will always be my favourite of his. To this day I still shudder whenever I see a large flock.

Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941) - one of my favourite movies of all time (to date, since time hasn't ended). I loved Welles in this, he was charming and creepy at the same time.

Do the RIght thing (Lee, 1989) - I had to sit through this in school, but I'm glad I did. I don't care for Spike Lee, or his movies. This is the only one of his I've seen that I didn't hate.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/07/04 at 1:23 pm

The Wizard Of Oz (Flemming, 1939)  A classic! 5
Rebel Without A Cause (Ray, 1954)  I haven't seen this in years, but as I recall it was pretty good.  I'll give it a 4.
Appocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)  4
The Graduate (Nicols, 1970)  If this is the same film with Dustin Hoffman, then I believe it was released in 1967.  I give it a 5.
Shane (Stevens, 1953)  This is a western, right?  I'll give it a 3.5

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/07/04 at 5:11 pm

North by Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959)-5
Nanook of the North (Flaherty, 1922)-3 (would have been a 5 without the narration)
A trip to the moon (Melies, 1902)- ???
The Wizard of Oz (Flemming, 1939)-4.75
The Great Train Robbery (Porter, 1903)- ???
Lonedale Operator (Griffith, 1911) ???
Meet me in St. Louis (Minnelli, 1944)-3
Rebel without a cause (Ray, 1954)-Haven't seen it.
Appocalypse now (Coppola, 1979)-3
The Graduate (Nicols, 1970)-4
The Battleship Potemkin (Odessa Steps sequence) (Eisenstein, 1925)-Nope
Sunset Boulevard (Wilder, 1950)-Nope
Breathless (Goddard, 1960)-Nope
Goodfellas (Scorsesse, 1993)-3.25
Touch of Evil (Welles, 1955)-nope
Shadow of a doubt (Hitchcock, 1943)-nope
The Birds (Hitchcock, 1963)-4
Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge (?..1963?)-nope
Shane (Stevens, 1953)-nope
Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)-3
Do the RIght thing (Lee, 1989)-2
Daniel (Lumet, 1985)-nope

BTW, Nanook was the only one I saw at a school, period. ;)

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/07/04 at 9:04 pm

I was worried no one had seen any of these movies....Im adding another...I just did a paper on CHinatown (Polanski, 1974) and so Im adding it

North by Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959)  classic Hitchcock, but the airplane sequence was poorly edited....you can tell which shots were rear projection, and which were shot in a studio, and which were a model etc
Nanook of the North (Flaherty, 1922)  Ok, I know it has historical importance...but its so boring!!!!!!! 
A trip to the moon (Melies, 1902)  an incredably important piece of movie history thats laughable by todays standards....its put on like a stage performance, but with the camera stopping to do the trick photography that Melies invented...the Smashing Pumkins' Tonite Tonite video was based on this
The Wizard of Oz (Flemming, 1939)  yeah classic, but kiddie stuff....and boring as well.....the best part of this is how it took 4 directors, and more or less four different directing styles, and use of black and white and color for the land of Oz...why did they screne this one? lol
The Great Train Robbery (Porter, 1903)  First edited film, first close up, first use of panning and the Z axis and rear projection and oh so much, including color....yes, color...via crayon on certain objects (like a dress and and explosion) still laughable by todays standards because mostly of bad acting....other than that, before its time
Lonedale Operator (Griffith, 1911)  DW Griffith was the most important filmmaker ever...he more or less invented the real closeup...and eyeline matchup and title screnes etc.....not his quintessential work (thats probably Birth of a nation or Intolerance), but still interesting..kind of an update of Great Train robbery
Meet me in St. Louis (Minnelli, 1944) HATED IT!!!!!!!!  Oh Lord did I hate it!  there was one scene in this piece of garbage movie that I actully found interesting, and thats when the little kid goes to throw dirt in the German guys face....I felt that was brilliantly directed...other than that, this movie was complete garbage.......
Rebel without a cause (Ray, 1954)  incredable movie......James Dean was a true legend....I always wonder though, why on the cover does he have a leather jacket and motorcycle, but in the movie he doesnt have them at all...in fact, he's the complete opposite of that character ...I recommend this to all
Appocalypse now (Coppola, 1979)  old favorite of mine.....extraordinary movie
The Graduate (Nicols, 1967) another incredable movie.....fantastic direction and script and acting...fantastic movie...I recommend this to everyone....oh, and it is 67, I messed up
The Battleship Potemkin (Odessa Steps sequence) (Eisenstein, 1925)  we only watched the Odessa Steps sequence....one of the most important sequences in movie history...use of Soviet Montage....and of course this scene was remade in the steps scene with the caraige in the Untouchables
Sunset Boulevard (Wilder, 1950)  not a flawless movie, but a good one...Billy Wilder's second best Film Noir.....the ending makes it all worth it....a few parts that were kinda boring
Breathless (Goddard, 1960)  a true directors movie....Goddard uses jump cuts and the such to make film history..brilliantly directed..I wish it was a French film..when I have to read subtitles, I always miss something in direction
Goodfellas (Scorsesse, 1993)  another old favorite....great movie
Touch of Evil (Welles, 1955)  the first scene is one of the greatest opening scenes in movie history.....it goes on for somewhere around 7 minutes without cutting....its all the same take.....no cuts.....you have to see it..if just for that scene
Shadow of a doubt (Hitchcock, 1943)  egh..its Hitchcock, its good....he's done better.....nothing outragously special...its a good movie, not great
The Birds (Hitchcock, 1963) a Hitchcock classic that makes use of Soviet Montage
Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge (?..1963?) personally, I would have filmed it differently...but I still got to give credit to the way its done....very interesting short film that everyone should check out if they can (but not in its Twilight Zone version.......see it without the naration!)
Shane (Stevens, 1953)  Hated it....I read the book too.,...hated that too.......such a bad movie...IMO of course....I cant stand it
Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)  One of the greatest movies ever....The opening scene!  the OPENING SCENE!!!!!!!  The window is in the same spot in every shot as we move closer...including the reflection.....the snowglobe breaking...he shots the reflection in it...brilliant!!!!! and the scene where his second wife takes the poison, and Welles defies physics and produces a scene where the foreground and background are in perfect focus, but not the middle ground (of course I know how he did it, but its still briliiant!)
Do the RIght thing (Lee, 1989)  OVERRATED!  there, I said it...its overrated..granted its got its moments...Lee does some great filming in it...but its just so overrated a movie.....I have many problems with it.....
Daniel (Lumet, 1985)  one of Lumet's worst...and this includes the Wiz.......Sydney Lumet has done so much better films (12 angry men, Dog day afternoon, the Verdict), why did he do this one?  It stinks....ok, its a fictionalized tale of the Rosenbergs.....and hes saying that the Children are like the Parents.....it just doesnt work....
Chinatown (Polanski, 1974)  AMAZING FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@    Brilliant movie.....isolation and corruption go hand in hand...the area of Chinatown is parelleled to Noah Cross which, in my opinion is also parelleled to Jake Gatsby in the Great Gatsby...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE!  More than all the others

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 06/03/04 at 2:55 pm

"incident at Owl Creek Bridge," as it is also known,  was made by the French production companies, Filmcritic and Films du Centuar. The director was Robert Enrico. He was also the writer, basing the short film on a story by Ambrose Bierce. Actually, I think it was a 1962 production.

As for the rest, while I will not go to the trouble to rate all those that I have seen, of the 22 films listed, I have seen twelve of them, including "Incident at Owl Creek Bridge," and liking ten of the twelve I have seen, including "Incident at Owl Creek Bridge."

The only objection I have to the films listed, is that they are all fairly welll known. As always, in such cases, I'd like to see the more obscure get some notice.

Written By: zcrito on 06/17/04 at 8:28 pm

You must have been busy in that class. I took a film class once and all we saw was about 8 films.

1.bad - 5.great. ns = not seen

North by Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959) - 3
Nanook of the North (Flaherty, 1922) - 3 (I saw this one probably 16 years ago. I read that it started an interest in Eskimos and things were being named after them (like, Eskimo pies) when it was showing in the 1920s)
A trip to the moon (Melies, 1902) - 3
The Wizard of Oz (Flemming, 1939) - 3 (with or without Pink Floyd playing?)
The Great Train Robbery (Porter, 1903) - ns
Lonedale Operator (Griffith, 1911) - ns (Griffith's first feature? I always thought his "Intolerance" was a great silent movie - one of the best even)
Meet me in St. Louis (Minnelli, 1944) - ns (Is this the one with the "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" song?)
Rebel without a cause (Ray, 1954) - 2 (trivia: the woman who plays Jerry Seinfeld's mother was JD's girlfiend before he died)
Appocalypse now (Coppola, 1979) - 1 (There's a 13-part documentary made in 1983, "Vietnam: A Television History" that does a much better job "telling" me about that war)
The Graduate (Nicols, 1970) - 4 (1970? It's a '60s movie, man!)
The Battleship Potemkin (Odessa Steps sequence) (Eisenstein, 1925) - 3 (Seen this movie once. Hopefully not again. For an Eisenstein silent "Strike" is much, much better)
Sunset Boulevard (Wilder, 1950) - 4 (I like Billy Wilder and William Holden)
Breathless (Goddard, 1960) - ns (Godard is hard to find. I'd like to see this one and "Bande a part")
Goodfellas (Scorsesse, 1993) - 2 (I was never a Scorsese fan)
Touch of Evil (Welles, 1955) - 2 (I like all of Orson's stuff, but I never really cared for this one)
Shadow of a doubt (Hitchcock, 1943) - ns
The Birds (Hitchcock, 1963) - 1 (I never cared for this one. Too depressing)
Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge (?..1963?) - ns
Shane (Stevens, 1953) - 4
Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941) - 5 (A great '40s movie)
Do the RIght thing (Lee, 1989) - 3
Daniel (Lumet, 1985) - ns

:) ;)

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/18/04 at 7:58 pm

Lonedale Operator (Griffith, 1911) - ns (Griffith's first feature? I always thought his "Intolerance" was a great silent movie - one of the best even)
Meet me in St. Louis (Minnelli, 1944) - ns (Is this the one with the "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" song?)

no, I dont think its Griffith's first, but its an early one

and yes, it unfortunatly is the one with have yourself a merry little christmas

Subject: Rate these movies that we watched in Film class

Written By: Dude111 on 11/13/22 at 7:10 am

From the list I have only seen

The Wizard of Oz (Flemming, 1939) - A+
The Birds (Hitchcock, 1963) - A

I have Wizard of Oz on its first 1980 VHS release and its goregous!!

Check for new replies or respond here...