inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rate these alternative/grunge style bands

Written By: Red Ant on 05/02/05 at 11:26 pm

Explain any choice you pick as I am curious as to what people think of alternative/grunge in general from the late 80s to early 90s. You can pick 2 bands as favorites. If you wish just leave a rating 1 through 10 on the bands overall. 1=suck 10=awesome.

1: Nirvana
2: Alice in Chains
3: Pearl Jam
4: Stone Temple Pilots
5: Red Hot Chili Peppers
6: Faith No More
7: Smashing Pumpkins
8: Soundgarden
9: Other

Subject: Re: Rate these alternative/grunge style bands

Written By: Red Ant on 05/03/05 at 1:45 am

Don't be afraid to disagree with me.

Explain any choice you pick as I am curious as to what people think of alternative/grunge in general from the late 80s to early 90s. You can pick 2 bands as favorites. If you wish just leave a rating 1 through 10 on the bands overall. 1=suck 10=awesome.

I will kick it off. Aside from 2 Unplugged CD's I have I have never heard any of these bands live and will never get the chance now. :\'(

1: Nirvana 8 -They kicked off Grunge music but alot of the songs are too short, repetitive or not understandable ( hence Weird Al's Cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" ). I do not have any of thier pre-Nevermind releases. Unplugged was awesome though as well as much of Nevermind and In Utero ( Incesticide is very average ).

2: Alice in Chains 10- Layne's voice makes this my favorite band along with Jerry's voice, guitar and songwriting talents ( I have lost my voice trying to sing like Layne does ). Sean Kinney is a good drummer as well. Only Mike Starr/Inez were average. Out of the 9 AIC CD's I have ( some bootlegs too ) there are maybe only 15 songs I dislike ( most from pre-Facelift releases and about 4 tracks from "Tripod" ). DIRT was probably the best alternative CD ever made ( yes, depressing and drug riddled but still...). Unplugged was great too. I have a few of thier live recordings and they are awesome. I must say that Jerry Cantrell's "Boggy Depot" is horrible though. Getting "Degradation Trip" soon though ( I hope that isn't a waste of nearly $20 ).

3: Pearl Jam 7.5- I liked most of "Ten" and "Vs". Eddie Vetter has many of the same mumbly low-key vocals as Kurt does. When you hear "Jeremy" for the 9 hundreth time on the radio it makes you not like them. Same with AIC's "Man In The Box". Play something else PLEASE!!
EDIT: As a parodist, I will say that they are they hardest band here for me to parody personally.

4: Stone Temple Pilots 8- Most of their songs are faster paced and a good band while they lasted. My wifes favorite alt.era song is "$ex Type Thing". I have only heard one "Velvet Revolver" song and was not impressed.

5: Red Hot Chili Peppers 6- Not really impressed that much with Anthony Kiedis but Flea is a great bassist. I have heard of them being compared to Faith No More which makes me want to vomit. Atleast they are still around as far as I know.

6: Faith No More 10- This entire band is bizarre. I have only "The Real Thing" and "Angel Dust" ( and have heard a few songs after like "Last Cup of Sorrow" with vocalist Mike Patton). Only weak link here is guitarist Jim Martin who is minimalisitc. Mike Patton was/is still doing side projects with many other bands ( Like Mr. Bungle ) and probably has the best range here. He also can sound like many other artists ( their cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" is awesome ) and sings about everything in nearly every style. Roddy Bottum is excellent on keyboard. They tie with Alice in Chains as my favorite band of this era.

7: Smashing Pumpkins 3- Billy Corgan sounds whiny instead of angry. I heard enough of their first CD to not want to get another.

8: Soundgarden 9.5- Chris Cornell has as good as range as Mike Patton, just lower in the scale. Kim Thayil is a great guitarist as well. They get docked from me for many average songs and many songs that I cannot stand such as "Spoonman" ( proabably the only grunge song I ever change the radio to when I hear it, that and STP's "Dead and Bloated" ). I do like Chris Cornell's " Sunshower".

9: Other- Honorable mention for one other band as well: Drain STH, an all girl band from Stockholm Sweden who debued in the late 90s. I only have "Freaks of Nature" and some of the songs are mediocre but they blow a hole in Hole. ;D

I am more biased towards the vocalists of the alternative/grunge bands because I like to sing along with them.

PS- DON'T BE SHY TO RATE!! I WILL NOT FLAME YOU IF YOU THINK THE SMASHING PUMPKINS RULE AND ALICE IN CHAINS SUCKS!!!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/05/05 at 7:05 am

Warning: The following opinions are that of the poster and do not reflect the opinions of anyone else. If you have a problem with anything the poster has said, bite me.

Nirvana (8 ) - I like them, although alot of their songs do not make sense. They were the ones to really kick off grunge, starting in 1989 and making it big in 1991 with Nevermind.

Alice in Chains (9 ) - I need to get more into these guys. From what I have heard, these guys are great, both unplugged and on CD.

Pearl Jam (6 ) - Ten was awesome, Vs. was OK, and maybe 1 or 2 songs from their other albums. Strangely enough they are still around. For me they finished around 1995.

Stone Temple Pilots (8 ) - Again another great band, slightly underrated. Velvet Revolver is a bad attemp to be STP as far as I'm concerned.

Red Hot Chili Peppers (6 ) - A few years ago I would have rated them a 10. But after listening to thwir terrible By The Way album and anything post Blood Sugar S*x Magik, my thoughts have changed.

Faith No More (20 ) - One word: FANTASTIC!

Smashing Pumpkins (5 ) - Billy's voice gets kinda irritating after a while. It just seems a bit whiny to be grunge/alt rock. Maybe he should form an Emo band and do concerts with Simple Plan and Blink 182.

Soundgarden (8 ) - Again another great band, slightly underrated. Audioslave is a bad attemp to be Soundgarden as far as I'm concerned.

Other - Mother Love Bone (7 ) - The band that actually started grunge rock. Quite different from the above, and might take a while to get into, but they do infact rock.

Written By: chaka on 05/05/05 at 7:47 am

NIRVANA:(9) I love Nirvana,their best album being the Unplugged one as Kurt's voice is so haunting and I still get chills down my spine when I listen to "The Man Who Sold The World".If you don't have this album,GET IT NOW!!!You won't regret it.Bleach is pretty underrated,I like pretty much all of the tracks except for "paper cuts".that song just gives me a headache.Nevermind,the most popular album isn't their best album at all.It's far too polished but it's still great to listen to.I downloaded some songs from the "With The Lights Out" collection,"Even In His Youth" and "Here She Comes Now" are great."In Utero" is a pretty good album too,"R*pe Me" is therapy when you're really,really angry at somebody!!"Incesticide" has got a few cover songs from a very much unknown band,The Vaselines."Son Of A Gun" is fantastic!
Yep,Nirvana were great;RIP Kurt.

ALICE IN CHAINS:(8.5) How can you not like AIC???Dirt is a great album and the Unplugged one is really breathtaking.My favorite track on that album is "Over Now"."Down In A Hole" is a haunting song and "Nutshell" is also beautiful.AIC have also got alot of angry songs like "Dam That River","Again","Them Bones" and "Bleed The Freak".All fantastic songs!

PEARL JAM(8.5):Another great band.I love Eddie Vedders voice.My favourite song must be "Nothingman",it's so sad...
Ten is a great album but yes,you do get sick of "Jeremy" or "Alive" just as you get sick of Nirvanas SLTS even though the songs are really good."Yellow Ledbetter" is another great song,so is "Porch",...

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS:(7.5) Yet another fantasic band.Their album "Core" is great.My favourite songs are "Plush","Wicked Gaden","Vasoline",...

RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS(4):I don't like them that much,their best song for me is "Under The Bridge"

FAITH NO MORE(?):Don't know this band,I'll check them out at some point.

SMASHING PUMPKINS(3):I can't listen to Billy Corgans voice!!It's sounds as though he's singing through his nose.
The only song I find acceptabe is "Tonight,Tonight".Still,I can only listen to it once a month..

SOUNDGARDEN:(9)I love Soundgarden!!Chris Cornell's voice is unmistakable!!Fantastic."Superunknown" is a great album,so is "Badmotorfinger".Favorite songs:"Burden In My Hand","Searching With My Good Eye Closed","Rusty Cage","Outshined","Superunknown","Pretty Noose","Like Suicide" and so many more...GREAT BAND
I was really annoyed when they split up.Haven't got Chris Cornells solo album "Euphoria Morning",I did download some songs from it...they're ok but it just isn't Soundgarden."Seasons" is my favorite song from Chris.
Soundgarden are VERY underrated!!!

Other:Mad Season,Mother Love Bone,Temple Of The Dog and Hole.All of these bands are great,check them out

Written By: Step-chan on 05/05/05 at 12:17 pm

I voted on Nirvana and other. But I'll also give a description on what I think of the others.
I won't give number ratings since taste is personal and I myself feel that numbers aren't really as important than saying what I think(especially since I don't have much of some of the other bands music).

Nirvana: I own alot of this bands songs, the main albums, 4(soon to be 5) bootlegs, singles and the WTLO box set. The song that really got me into Nirvana was "Drain You". I do agree with Red Ant that Nirvana were repetitive, and Good Red Shirt that their songs don't make any sense(That's actually one of the things I like about their songs). Kurt had said that his songs were a big pile contradictions, and I agree. But I think they are good contradictions.

Alice In Chains: I like some of their songs, right now I own the Facelift CD and I do plan on getting some more of them. The songs I like the most of theirs are "Would?", "Man In The Box", "Rooster", "Down In A Hole", and "We Die young". Once I get some more of their CDs, I'll see what else I like. Definitely a very cool and dark band.

Pearl Jam: I'm not a very big Pearl Jam fan. I do like some of their songs, mainly on the Ten album and a few off of VS I think it was. You can tell that I haven't spent much time listening to Pearl Jam, as I'm not too familiar with their later albums.

Stone Temple Pilots: I like alot of songs off their Core album, as well as some from a few of their other albums(I think the other songs I like are on the Vatican album, I can't remember the whole title right now). I remember that they were compared to Pearl Jam early on, which I find to be funny because I don't think that they sound like Pearl Jam(unless they were comparing Scott Weilands's voice to Eddie Vedders, which are similar but not the same).

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Not a that big of a fan of the Chili Pepper's. I do like a couple of songs here and there of theirs, namely "Under the Bridge" and "Suck my kiss".

Faith No More: Don't own any of their albums. I have heard some of their songs though. But not in a while. So I can't really comment on them(I'm trying to remember that one song that got played alot on the radio and on MTV when they still played music videos).

Smashing Pumpkins: Not a fan. Don't care for their music. 'Nuff said.

Soundgarden: I really love their Bad Motor Finger Album, and some of their songs off of Superunknown. My Favorites in general are "Outshined", "Rusty Cage", "Slaves and Bulldozers", "Jesus Christ Pose", "New Damage", "Black Hole Sun" and "Fell on Black Days".
I'll have to go and get Bad Motor Finger again(I used to own it) as well as listen to some their other stuff.

Others: I own The Breeders(Last Splash), L7(Bricks are heavy), and I've been wanting to check out The Melvins and Sonic Youth(I've heard at least one of their songs, but it's been awhile. I think their name is Sonic Youth).

Written By: Step-chan on 05/05/05 at 12:33 pm

Yeah, Bleach is underated. I really like "Negative Creep", "Swap Meet", "About a Girl" and "Floyd the Barber". Nevermind is somewhat overrated, but is still good(the song "Smells like teen spirit" is the only song on it that I don't care for, one way or the other). I like alot of songs on "Incesticide", especially "Beeswax" and "Mexican Seafood"(If you've ever seen the lyrics for this song, you know that their gross). In Utero is very good, With my favovites being "Frances Farmer will have her revenge on Seatle", "Pennyroyal Tea" and "Milk it". The only album I don't own yet is the Unplugged one, which has my favorite Meat Puppets song on it, "Oh me".

Written By: Chrisrj on 05/05/05 at 10:20 pm

1: Nirvana 5
2: Alice in Chains 4
3: Pearl Jam 5
4: Stone Temple Pilots 5(noone's voted for them yet!)
5: Red Hot Chili Peppers 5
6: Faith No More 4
7: Smashing Pumpkins 4
8: Soundgarden 5
9: Other:  Oleander had a song in 1999 called "Why I'm Here"(3), which sounds a lot like gunge/alternative IMO, which I think is cool.  If you can find it, give it a shot.  Thought I'd mention.

It's all out of 5 points, not 10.

Couldn't decide, but I went for Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

As for this lady's opinion:
FAITH NO MORE(?):Don't know this band,I'll check them out at some point.

Might I suggest Epic, Falling to Pieces, and Midlife Crisis to start.  Maybe they'll ring a few bells?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/06/05 at 12:33 pm

1: Nirvana....8
2. Alice in Chains...6
3: Pearl Jam...10
4: Stone Temple Pilots...10
5: Red Hot Chili Peppers...10
6: Faith No More...6
7: Smashing Pumpkins...9.5
8: Soundgarden...9.5
9: Other Hole...8

Tanya

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/06/05 at 12:36 pm

NO

Written By: chaka on 05/17/05 at 5:33 pm

The only album I don't own yet is the Unplugged one, which has my favorite Meat Puppets song on it, "Oh me".

You MUST get that album!!!!!
Promise you won't be disappointed,each song is a masterpiece;magic

Written By: Step-chan on 05/18/05 at 12:15 pm

You MUST get that album!!!!!
Promise you won't be disappointed,each song is a masterpiece;magic

I'm going to get the CD version of STP Core, I'll go on look for "Unplugged" as well. I'll be able to afford it and I really want that cover of "Oh me"(I have actually seen the broadcast of Unplugged, which doesn't show that song or "Something in the way").

8)

Written By: chaka on 05/18/05 at 1:36 pm

^ I'm happy for you ;)
The album's worth every single penny!!

Written By: Step-chan on 05/21/05 at 3:14 pm

I own it now and have listened to some of it. Especially "Oh me". I'll be listening to it all the way through shortly and I have a parody idea for "Oh me" as well.

Written By: chaka on 05/24/05 at 7:53 am

I own it now and have listened to some of it.

GOOD NEWS!!
You'll be hooked on that album;I can assure you that

Written By: _adam_ on 06/15/05 at 4:52 am

Red hot chili peppers-my favorite alternative band.
Also like Faith no more and Living colour.
Other are boring

Written By: TC1970 on 06/21/05 at 6:21 am

Don't be afraid to disagree with me.

I will kick it off. Aside from 2 Unplugged Cd's I have I have never heard any of these bands live and will never get the chance now. :\'(

1: Nirvana 8 -They kicked off Grunge music but a lot of the songs are too short, repetitive or not understandable ( hence Weird Al's Cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" ). I do not have any of their pre-Nevermind releases. Unplugged was awesome though as well as much of Nevermind and In Utero ( Incesticide is very average ).

2: Alice in Chains 10- Layne's voice makes this my favorite band along with Jerry's voice, guitar and songwriting talents ( I have lost my voice trying to sing like Layne does ). Sean Kinney is a good drummer as well. Only Mike Starr/Inez were average. Out of the 9 AIC CD's I have ( some bootlegs too ) there are maybe only 15 songs I dislike ( most from pre-Facelift releases and about 4 tracks from "Tripod" ). DIRT was probably the best alternative CD ever made ( yes, depressing and drug riddled but still...). Unplugged was great too. I have a few of thier live recordings and they are awesome. I must say that Jerry Cantrell's "Boggy Depot" is horrible though. Getting "Degradation Trip" soon though ( I hope that isn't a waste of nearly $20 ).

3: Pearl Jam 7.5- I liked most of "Ten" and "Vs". Eddie Vetter has many of the same mumbly low-key vocals as Kurt does. When you hear "Jeremy" for the 9 hundreth time on the radio it makes you not like them. Same with AIC's "Man In The Box". Play something else PLEASE!!
EDIT: As a parodist, I will say that they are they hardest band here for me to parody personally.

4: Stone Temple Pilots 8- Most of their songs are faster paced and a good band while they lasted. My wifes favorite alt.era song is "$ex Type Thing". I have only heard one "Velvet Revolver" song and was not impressed.

5: Red Hot Chili Peppers 6- Not really impressed that much with Anthony Kiedis but Flea is a great bassist. I have heard of them being compared to Faith No More which makes me want to vomit. Atleast they are still around as far as I know.

6: Faith No More 10- This entire band is bizarre. I have only "The Real Thing" and "Angel Dust" ( and have heard a few songs after like "Last Cup of Sorrow" with vocalist Mike Patton). Only weak link here is guitarist Jim Martin who is minimalisitc. Mike Patton was/is still doing side projects with many other bands ( Like Mr. Bungle ) and probably has the best range here. He also can sound like many other artists ( their cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" is awesome ) and sings about everything in nearly every style. Roddy Bottum is excellent on keyboard. They tie with Alice in Chains as my favorite band of this era.

7: Smashing Pumpkins 3- Billy Corgan sounds whiny instead of angry. I heard enough of their first CD to not want to get another.

8: Soundgarden 9.5- Chris Cornell has as good as range as Mike Patton, just lower in the scale. Kim Thayil is a great guitarist as well. They get docked from me for many average songs and many songs that I cannot stand such as "Spoonman" ( proabably the only grunge song I ever change the radio to when I hear it, that and STP's "Dead and Bloated" ). I do like Chris Cornell's " Sunshower".

9: Other- Honorable mention for one other band as well: Drain STH, an all girl band from Stockholm Sweden who debued in the late 90s. I only have "Freaks of Nature" and some of the songs are mediocre but they blow a hole in Hole. ;D

I am more biased towards the vocalists of the alternative/grunge bands because I like to sing along with them.

PS- DON'T BE SHY TO RATE!! I WILL NOT FLAME YOU IF YOU THINK THE SMASHING PUMPKINS RULE AND ALICE IN CHAINS SUCKS!!!!

I am not one to type out a bunch of words on bands. Or analyze them.  Here is the best I can do.

Boogie Depot rocked!( shame on you! lol)  Jerry Cantrell created some awesome songs on there. Cut You In- totally rocked. I have Degradation Trip. If you want a copy, i can burn it and send it to ya. That CD totally rocks too.  :P

As for Nirvana. . I only heard a few of their songs. I could be wrong but I think they only became so popular because Kurt Cobain died. I don't feel bad for anyone who took their own life. ( IMO)

AIC- I may be biased because I am a huge fan.  The lyrics created were thought provoking and they chemistry between Layne and Jerry can not be compared. Of all the Cd's I like the one made from MTV unplugged or Sap. best. As for Dirt, I am not too fond of that CD. I think it is too "dark" and sloooowwww...  They sound best when their songs are heavy.

Pearl Jam- were ok but they got to be predictable. Eddie Vedder came across as having this huge ego. Always with the poor me 'tude.

STP- had some awesome songs. I like Scott Weiland voice but his drug abuse will be his downfall. Velvet Revolver, IMO, is a time bomb waiting to explode. I give them a year or so.

RHCP- From he songs I heard, they have some real talent. It seems they try different types of music. That keeps them fresh. I don't particularly like them though.  :P

Smashing Pumpkins- blah!

Soundgarden- CC has one of the best voices ever. I liked the songs I heard. Not enough to buy to CD. lol

Written By: Tam on 06/24/05 at 12:34 am

Ummm...

My two favourite are Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots.
I say this because they totally remind me of my sister for it was them that she constantly listened to.... driving me crazy!!
(And I miss my sister a lot!)

:)

Written By: Red Ant on 06/30/05 at 11:11 pm

Smashing Pumpkins (5 ) - Billy's voice gets kinda irritating after a while. It just seems a bit whiny to be grunge/alt rock. Maybe he should form an Emo band and do concerts with Simple Plan and Blink 182.

HAHAHAHA!!

SMASHING PUMPKINS(3):I can't listen to Billy Corgans voice!!It's sounds as though he's singing through his nose.

You MUST have been reading my mind as this was nearly identical to what I typed before I posted the original thread.

from Step-chan

Smashing Pumpkins: Not a fan. Don't care for their music. 'Nuff said

Me either. 'Nuff said.

from TC1970

Smashing Pumpkins- blah!

Yep.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/01/05 at 3:05 am

Nirvana: I like Nirvana a lot even though I don't have many of their songs, my favorites are About A Girl (the first song I ever heard of theirs ^_^), Smells Like Teen Spirit and Heart-Shaped Box.

Alice In Chains: They're O.K., my brother and sister REALLY like them, the only song I like of theirs is "Them Bones" it's not half as slow as the others.

Pearl Jam: The only song I ever heard by Pearl Jam was "Jeremy" I liked it a lot but it's not at all enough to say I'm a fan.

Stone Temple Pilots: Never heard any of their songs.  :-\\

Red Hot Chili Peppers: I like the The Zephyr Song but that's about it and all I've heard by them.

Faith No More: Never heard their music either.

Smashing Pumpkins: I love the song "Disarm" and I like "Today" but once again not enough to say I'm a fan.

Soundgarden: I have to say, I absolutely HATE "Black Hole Sun" my brother sings it to me all the time and I'm still in awe as to how that song became so popular. x_x I've heard a couple of their other songs and think I liked them but it was so long ago I forget.  :-[

Written By: Red Ant on 07/18/05 at 7:46 pm

Nirvana: I like Nirvana a lot even though I don't have many of their songs, my favorites are About A Girl (the first song I ever heard of theirs ^_^), Smells Like Teen Spirit and Heart-Shaped Box.

Three good choices and "About A Girl" on Unplugged is very good.

Alice In Chains: They're O.K., my brother and sister REALLY like them, the only song I like of theirs is "Them Bones" it's not half as slow as the others.

Them Bones is fast and dark whereas many of their other songs are slow and dark. Might I recommend "Sunshine" from Facelift.

Pearl Jam: The only song I ever heard by Pearl Jam was "Jeremy" I liked it a lot but it's not at all enough to say I'm a fan.

Pearl Jam has many good tracks from "Ten" and "Vs".

Stone Temple Pilots: Never heard any of their songs.  :-\\

Go buy "Core". Now. ;D

Red Hot Chili Peppers: I like the The Zephyr Song but that's about it and all I've heard by them.

RHCP earlier stuff is good.

Faith No More: Never heard their music either.

*GASP*. If I had the money I'd buy everyone who has said that "The Real Thing" and "Angel Dust". 2 very good and bizarre CDs.

Smashing Pumpkins: I love the song "Disarm" and I like "Today" but once again not enough to say I'm a fan.

Not a fan either.

Soundgarden: I have to say, I absolutely HATE "Black Hole Sun" my brother sings it to me all the time and I'm still in awe as to how that song became so popular. x_x I've heard a couple of their other songs and think I liked them but it was so long ago I forget.  :-[

The video was weird is why I suppose it became big.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/20/05 at 12:37 am

I picked Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers, mostly because they are the only ones I know much of. Nirvana is a good band, I agree with Red Ant, but Red Hot Chili Peppers I disagree with Red Ant. Their early stuff is pretty boring and uninspiring, but I loved their last two albums and what seems to be their genre from now on. They have beautiful and melodious songs now. What happened? I have no idea...

Written By: Red Ant on 08/20/05 at 1:16 am

I picked Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers, mostly because they are the only ones I know much of. Nirvana is a good band, I agree with Red Ant, but Red Hot Chili Peppers I disagree with Red Ant. Their early stuff is pretty boring and uninspiring, but I loved their last two albums and what seems to be their genre from now on. They have beautiful and melodious songs now. What happened? I have no idea...

I originally gave RHCP a 6, but I'd give them a 7 now that I have "Greatest Hits". Not sure what I'd consider old vs new, but "Give It Away", "Breaking The Girl", "My Friends", "Higher Ground" are good, so is "Californication". I didn't miss the exclusion of "Love Rollercoaster" though and "Under The Bridge" has been worn out from massive airplay in my area. You'd think that was the ONLY song they ever made.

Also while I have much respect for Jerry Cantrell, both of his solo Albums are disappointing if you expected anything like Alice in Chains. Maybe I will get used to them, I didn't like "Man In The Box" when it first came out either.

I just got one of the Audioslave CDs so I'll see how that goes......

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/20/05 at 1:46 am

I originally gave RHCP a 6, but I'd give them a 7 now that I have "Greatest Hits". Not sure what I'd consider old vs new, but "Give It Away", "Breaking The Girl", "My Friends", "Higher Ground" are good, so is "Californication". I didn't miss the exclusion of "Love Rollercoaster" though and "Under The Bridge" has been worn out from massive airplay in my area. You'd think that was the ONLY song they ever made.

Also while I have much respect for Jerry Cantrell, both of his solo Albums are disappointing if you expected anything like Alice in Chains. Maybe I will get used to them, I didn't like "Man In The Box" when it first came out either.

I just got one of the Audioslave CDs so I'll see how that goes......

RHCP I think also made another album with their newer sound that I'm not aware of? Because I was talking about Californiacation and by the way... neither of which has My Friends, which is another good one.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/20/05 at 2:18 am

"By The Way" is track 8 on "Greatest Hits". "My Friends" is track 11 and came out on the "One Hot Minute" CD (1995), the only other RCHP CD I currently own. I recall getting that CD quite a while back, being disappointed and not getting another until a month ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...