inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Greatest All Time Musicians

Written By: alyceclover on 10/18/05 at 9:08 am

These are high rated Billboard popular artists, but what do you think?

Subject: Re: Greatest All Time Musicians

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/05 at 11:17 am

I'd have to go with Elvis.  I like more songs by him than the other artists in the poll :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/18/05 at 12:44 pm

out of the given selections...I chose the Beatles.

Erin :)

Written By: micah on 10/19/05 at 5:48 pm

The one and only Beatles. No one comes close.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/05 at 11:29 pm

I pick Stevie Wonder for the following reasons:

1. Unlike the Beatles, he didn't stop making music in the sixties (the band disbanded therefore, it's not fair to call them all time because they only had one period of time for their music - not including solo stuff b/c it's solo)

2. He, unlike the Beatles or Elvis, appeals to more groups of people where the previous two have cliques.

3. He's been performing since he was a child (sorry, the others, with the exception of Michael Jackson) can't claim that.

4. He plays multiple instruments (self-taught).

5. He managed to rise despite his loss of sight. Seriously, I cannot fathom the others doing so.

6. He's still relevant. Everyone else is still living in greatest hitsville (except Madonna, who is desperately trying to seek another re-invention).

7. He was the only one to get a national holiday (Martin Luther King Day) on US books.

8. He owns his music (I wish I could say the same for MJ, but he could've sold them for cash).

9. He's the only one to win an Oscar for Best Song (I Just Called To Say I Love You) and more grammys than any of these icons combined. I believe Paul won one for "Live and Let Die" but that's with Wings, not the Beatles.

10. He's managed to have original music in more than 4 decades (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and now) without a band to back him up.

There are other reasons, but I'm tired from work! LOL

Written By: alyceclover on 10/21/05 at 11:37 pm

I pick Stevie Wonder for the following reasons:

1. Unlike the Beatles, he didn't stop making music in the sixties (the band disbanded therefore, it's not fair to call them all time because they only had one period of time for their music - not including solo stuff b/c it's solo)

2. He, unlike the Beatles or Elvis, appeals to more groups of people where the previous two have cliques.

3. He's been performing since he was a child (sorry, the others, with the exception of Michael Jackson) can't claim that.

4. He plays multiple instruments (self-taught).

5. He managed to rise despite his loss of sight. Seriously, I cannot fathom the others doing so.

6. He's still relevant. Everyone else is still living in greatest hitsville (except Madonna, who is desperately trying to seek another re-invention).

7. He was the only one to get a national holiday (Martin Luther King Day) on US books.

8. He owns his music (I wish I could say the same for MJ, but he could've sold them for cash).

9. He's the only one to win an Oscar for Best Song (I Just Called To Say I Love You) and more grammys than any of these icons combined. I believe Paul won one for "Live and Let Die" but that's with Wings, not the Beatles.

10. He's managed to have original music in more than 4 decades (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and now) without a band to back him up.

There are other reasons, but I'm tired from work! LOL
didn't know he did that #7....went to a MLK parade/picnic one year...saw Thelma Houston & Rolls Royce, among others...for Free!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/22/05 at 12:05 am

^Yup, on his "Hotter than July" album in 1980, he wrote the song "Happy Birthday to You" for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. That helped his campaign with other leaders to create legislation for the holiday.

Written By: caligula on 10/22/05 at 5:59 am

went with the Beatles even though Tanya1976 made me think with her valid points about Stevie Wonder

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/22/05 at 11:44 am

With these choices, I had to pick The Beatles!  :)

Written By: Tia on 10/22/05 at 12:08 pm

somebody should vote for madonna just so she gets a vote and doesn't feel all bad.

not me, though. gotta go with the big, bad beatles.

Written By: NaughtyGirl on 10/22/05 at 6:01 pm

Stevie Wonder. Tanya1976 made some very valid points. Besides, it's become so cliche to say the Beatles. When you ask those that say so why, the answers never varies "Because they were" and "Their songs were great". It never changes.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/24/05 at 6:01 pm

Of these selections I chose Stevie Wonder because:
Madonna and Michael Jackson are performers, Elvis,
though very popular,depended too much on other
peoples' lyrics and finally the Beatles,don't get me
wrong ,I like the Beatles but they are,in my opinion,
very over rated.

Written By: cs on 10/28/05 at 12:17 pm

OUt of these choices, clearly Stevie Wonder.  The others are not what I consider musicians.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/29/05 at 6:36 pm

I chose The Beatles first and neither consider my choice to be 'cliche' or 'clique'  ::)  Sheesh  ;D

I put Elvis second even though he bored me crapless

Stevie third - nothing to do with sightlessness

Jackson fourth

Madonna fifth - because I remain to be convinced - how well she would have done had she not started out when the concept of having your own personal media machine was in full swing... ::)

Written By: jaytee on 11/03/05 at 9:09 pm

Beatles

Written By: Apricot on 11/20/05 at 12:40 pm

I do not believe any of those to be the greatest musicians of all time, in MY eyes, or the eyes of MANY people.. but in terms of commercial success, The Beatles

Written By: tomario on 11/20/05 at 3:45 pm

elvis must be bottom because i dont think he wrote any of his own music >:(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/20/05 at 11:57 pm

elvis must be bottom because i dont think he wrote any of his own music >:(

In all honesty, everything he did was derivative of others.

Written By: Zoso on 12/04/05 at 12:22 am

I picked Michael for the following reasons.

1. He appeals to children and adults, black, white and yellow.

2. He's been performing since he was a child (sorry, the others, with the exception of Stevie Wonder) can't claim that.

3. He plays multiple instruments (on Invincible he played every instrument for the most part of the album).

4. He managed to rise above media manipulations and false allegations (not to mention all the diseases he's had to live through in his life, vitiligo, lupus).

5. He's still relevant. Number Ones (2003) sold 7 million, and he is making a new album as we speak. Just because he takes longer to make new music than others, doesn't mean he isn't relevant. He hasn't had the chance to prove himself yet. He's been working on his new album since 2002.

6. He owns his music. He also owns the Beatles music, which it's time for McCartney to stop whinging about. McCartney owns Buddy holly and a load of other catalogues. He was outsmarted and outbid by Michael Jackson. Get over it.

7. He's managed to have original music in more than 4 decades (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s). He also has had atleast 1 solo #1 hit in 4 seperate decades (70's: Ben, Don't Stop - 80's: Rock With You, Billie Jean, Beat It etc. - 90's: Black or White, You Are Not Alone - 00's: You Rock My World). The if you count the Jackson 5, he also had a #1 hit in the 60's (I Want You Back - 1969).

8. He writes the majority of his music and he isn't restricted to one style. He's done pop, rock, R&B, soul, rap, latin rock, classically-inspired pop, funk and even country.

9. He revolutionised the music video medium. No one ever did it like him.

10. He has influenced an entire generation. Every male R&B and pop artist you see on MTV these days is influenced by Michael Jackson. There dancing, look, singing style, musical style is so much like Michael's yet so underneath Michael's level of genius.

Stevie Wonder is a close second for all the reasons Tanya pointed out.
The Beatles are third. They were good, but still very over-rated.
Madonna is fourth, she's not a musician. She's a singer and dancer.
Elvis mooched off everyone. He had a good voice (mediocre). He was nothing special.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/04/05 at 1:00 am

I had to go with The Beatles.  And while I see the point made by Tanya and the others that The Beatles really only spanned one decade, I don't necessarily think that takes credit away from them.  In some cases it is best to quit while you're at the top.  But for some (Michael Jackson) it's not enough.  Had Michael Jackson quit after Thriller, I'm sure he would be remembered and respected as a SuperIcon of the 80's and I would have had a tough time making a choice.  But as far as I'm concerned (and this is my opinion) everything post-Thriller was crap - his music and his weird lifestyle, cosmetic surgeries, etc.

Written By: Zoso on 12/04/05 at 1:38 am

I disagree. The reason Michael Jackson didn't quit after Thriller...

Bad (1987) - sold 29 million
Dangerous (1991) - sold 32 million
HIStory (1995) - sold 36 million
Invincible (2001) - sold 10 million+
Other projects - sold 15 million combined (includes Blood On The Dance Floor, Number Ones etc.)
TOTAL = 122 Million

That's all of record sales, and that's why Michael didn't quit after Thriller. Because he still had alot more to offer. If you look past the cosmetic surgery and child abuse allegations, you'll find some very good music. I have always thought, and still do, that Dangerous is a hell of alot better than Thriller.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/04/05 at 5:05 pm

I disagree. The reason Michael Jackson didn't quit after Thriller...

Bad (1987) - sold 29 million
Dangerous (1991) - sold 32 million
HIStory (1995) - sold 36 million
Invincible (2001) - sold 10 million+
Other projects - sold 15 million combined (includes Blood On The Dance Floor, Number Ones etc.)
TOTAL = 122 Million

That's all of record sales, and that's why Michael didn't quit after Thriller. Because he still had alot more to offer. If you look past the cosmetic surgery and child abuse allegations, you'll find some very good music. I have always thought, and still do, that Dangerous is a hell of alot better than Thriller.

I haven't listened to most of his newer stuff.. because I didn't like the stuff I heard.  Ok, Say Say Say was ok... but I didn't like Bad, Man In The Mirror, Dirty Diana, Smooth Criminal, etc.  That's a matter of personal opinion of course, but I don't think anything post Thriller was great.

And for the record, I do not think he was guilty of the child abuse... I think that was the result of a money hungry parent who wanted to get rich from this scandal... but I do still think he has a weird lifestyle and my image of him has changed for the worst since the Thriller days.

Written By: Zoso on 12/05/05 at 8:04 pm

I haven't listened to most of his newer stuff.. because I didn't like the stuff I heard.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/05 at 3:23 am

From the given list Beatles

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/19/06 at 5:51 pm

First of all, Madonna and Michael Jackson don't play instruments, so they aren't mucisians.

And out of the rest, I just like The Beatles the most.

I also like their experimental songs.

Written By: Zoso on 02/08/06 at 5:46 am

Actaully Michael Jackson plays alot of instruments. He's been credited as playing drums, keyboard and guitar on HIStory, Blood on the Dance Floor and Invincible. Also, musician covers more than just instruments, stop being so narrow-minded. Voice is an instrument, and probably the most powerful instrument one can learn. A musician can also be a songwriter/composer, a conductor, an arranger, and Michael Jackson has done all of this. He plays some of his own instruments, he writes and composes the majority of his songs and the song that have been hits were mostly written by Jackson, he does his own arrangements, and in a way he conducts or directs the musicians who play on his records or tour with him.

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 02/09/06 at 10:37 am

All-time musician?    ;D  These guys don't quite cut it.

But for those listed, I think (and it's difficult) I'd go w/Elvis.  He changed everything, never mind his huge hit list (not fringe-lovers list, HIT list).

The Beatles were good, but they were great at 1st, then went hippie and whiny and non-rock (in truth).  They cancel themselves out.

Stevie was an excellent writer, a definite real musician, but as many hits as he's managed, I'm not real crazy about most of them.  They're OK, just not something I just must listen to when they come on.

Michael Jackson really was a genius, at least as far as performing.  Between his childhood and adult(?)hood, he had tons of real hits too, and they were damn good.  I just don't think he changed things as much as Elvis.

Madonna?  Does she even have any hits now?  I hear she does, occasionally.  But if we're going by the '80s, which was when she really was a force and huge, yes, she was great, alot like Jackson.  But the same comments apply.

Nobody mentioned Elton John?  He would've been an excellent 1 to put on this list.  Not that I'd choose him, just he was really a great musician.

Written By: Zoso on 02/11/06 at 9:34 am

Nobody mentioned Elton John?  He would've been an excellent 1 to put on this list.  Not that I'd choose him, just he was really a great musician.

I agree, and Prince as well

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/23/06 at 5:40 pm

Actaully Michael Jackson plays alot of instruments. He's been credited as playing drums, keyboard and guitar on HIStory, Blood on the Dance Floor and Invincible. Also, musician covers more than just instruments, stop being so narrow-minded. Voice is an instrument, and probably the most powerful instrument one can learn. A musician can also be a songwriter/composer, a conductor, an arranger, and Michael Jackson has done all of this. He plays some of his own instruments, he writes and composes the majority of his songs and the song that have been hits were mostly written by Jackson, he does his own arrangements, and in a way he conducts or directs the musicians who play on his records or tour with him.

Well, I dunno, but I read all the liner notes, and the only time I read he played anything was percussion in like.. two songs. So I dunno.

And I disagree, if you think of those terms, then the most powerful instrument is probably your ear.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/23/06 at 5:43 pm

Nobody probably heard of these people, but.. Roy Estrada, Ian Underwood, and Frank Zappa?

Also jazz artists.. Don Shirley, Miles Davis?

Written By: isabella20xx on 02/23/06 at 6:01 pm

all you people that gave prince low marks suck!!he rocks and is the best musician EVER
PRINCE IS THE BEST

1.Controversy                  4
2.Dirty Mind                    4
3.I Wanna Be Your Lover  3
4.1999                          4
5.Little Red Corvette        3
6.Let's Go Crazy              4.5
7.When Doves Cry            5
8.Purple Rain                  55555555555555555555555555555
9.Rasberry Beret              3
10.Kiss                          5
11.Batdance                    3
12.Alphabet St.                3
13.Sign O' The Times        5
14.Sexy M.F.                    3
15.Theives In The Temple  2
16.Gett Off                      4.5
17.Cream                          4
18.7                                5
19.Diamonds And Pearls      4
20.If I Was Your Girlfriend    3.5
21.Most Beautiful Girl In The World      5
22.Money Don't Matter 2 Nite              5
23.Musicology                                    4
24.Call My Name                                3

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/24/06 at 5:55 pm

all you people that gave prince low marks suck!!he rocks and is the best musician EVER
PRINCE IS THE BEST

1.Controversy                  4
2.Dirty Mind                     4
3.I Wanna Be Your Lover  3
4.1999                           4
5.Little Red Corvette        3
6.Let's Go Crazy               4.5
7.When Doves Cry            5
8.Purple Rain                   55555555555555555555555555555
9.Rasberry Beret              3
10.Kiss                           5
11.Batdance                    3
12.Alphabet St.                3
13.Sign O' The Times        5
14.Sexy M.F.                    3
15.Theives In The Temple  2
16.Gett Off                       4.5
17.Cream                          4
18.7                                5
19.Diamonds And Pearls      4
20.If I Was Your Girlfriend    3.5
21.Most Beautiful Girl In The World       5
22.Money Don't Matter 2 Nite              5
23.Musicology                                    4
24.Call My Name                                 3

er.. uh... wrong thread?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/24/06 at 8:51 pm

Nobody probably heard of these people, but.. Roy Estrada, Ian Underwood, and Frank Zappa?

Also jazz artists.. Don Shirley, Miles Davis?

I know of Ian, Frank, Don, and of course, the man of the hour, Miles!

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 7:23 am

'Greatest All Time Musician' sounds a bit...what's the word, 'audacious' to call the Beatles, Elvis, Madonna (shudder) the 'greatest of all time.' I don't know if you include classical composers of olde, hymists, old folk musicians etc. Of the list, NONE would qualify as greatest musician. I wouldn't even consider Sir Paul McCartney or John Lennon (as much as I like him) in that upper echelon of musical genius (though he comes closer than the rest). Of the modern era, I think the greatest musicians are not household names. Composers...perhaps jazz composers such as Miles Davis, Coltrane. In the pop world possibly Frank Zappa and Brian Wilson. But then again, it's all subjective. As for Madonna and Michael Jackson - perhaps the greatest performers/entertainers of the modern era, but crediting them as the 'greatest musicians' of all time is a joke.

Check for new replies or respond here...