inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Videos: December 4, 2009]

Written By: Henk on 03/04/08 at 3:16 pm

I can't force-feed you...but I would like to know what you think about these videos/songs. They're all performed by Dutch artists, and it's unlikely you've seen or heard them before (or will ever again). Various styles...so maybe something for everyone?

Let's start with two fresh songs...not in Dutch Top 40 or bubbling under section yet.

Silkstone - Here In Your World

Shane Shu - The Way She Talks To Me (For some reason this video had to be shot in Paris...) :-\\

The next five are all currently in Dutch Top 40...

Kane - Catwalk Criminal (Yeah, I know...Inxs meets White Stripes)

Krezip - All My Life

VanVelzen - When Summer Ends

Lara - That's It Baby

Leaf - New Song

This one's a song from the video game "Assassin's Creed"...it didn't make Top 40.

Brainpower & Intwine - The Chosen (Assassin's Creed)

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault

Written By: Henk on 03/05/08 at 2:14 pm

Yeah....I guess I should've known. :(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/05/08 at 3:51 pm

I can't force-feed you...but I would like to know what you think about these videos/songs. They're all performed by Dutch artists, and it's unlikely you've seen or heard them before (or will ever again). Various styles...so maybe something for everyone?

Let's start with two fresh songs...not in Dutch Top 40 or bubbling under section yet.

Silkstone - Here In Your World

Shane Shu - The Way She Talks To Me (For some reason this video had to be shot in Paris...) :-\\

The next five are all currently in Dutch Top 40...

Kane - Catwalk Criminal (Yeah, I know...Inxs meets White Stripes)

Krezip - All My Life

VanVelzen - When Summer Ends

Lara - That's It Baby

Leaf - New Song

This one's a song from the video game "Assassin's Creed"...it didn't make Top 40.

Brainpower & Intwine - The Chosen (Assassin's Creed)

some of us (  ::)  ) do need to be force fed Henk. you know that.  I'm checking these out when I get home. you've always provided new stuff that you know may not be my tastes, but I'm willing to listen and see what tunes you like

Written By: Henk on 03/05/08 at 4:22 pm

some of us (   ::)  ) do need to be force fed Henk. you know that.  I'm checking these out when I get home. you've always provided new stuff that you know may not be my tastes, but I'm willing to listen and see what tunes you like

I'm not saying I like all of these videos/songs, Mike... Leaf's "New Song" for instance isn't a new song at all: it's very much like their previous song "Wonderwoman" (you might wanna check that out, too). And I'm not a fan of Lara or Shane Shu either.

Here's an interesting tidbit: Shane Shu, lead singer of Shane Shu, was born in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada and raised by a Dutch father and a Dutch/Chinese mother. The band has a MySpace site where you can listen to the album as well.
Hmmm....I might have to eat my words about Shane Shu. The album sounds pretty good. :)

Written By: karen on 03/05/08 at 10:16 pm

I'd love to check these videos out but after my husband tinkered with some of the security settings on the computer I can't wacth any videos for some reason.  :-\\

Written By: Henk on 03/06/08 at 12:11 am

I'd love to check these videos out but after my husband tinkered with some of the security settings on the computer I can't wacth any videos for some reason.  :-\\

Men and computer... ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/08 at 3:27 am

I'm not saying I like all of these videos/songs, Mike... Leaf's "New Song" for instance isn't a new song at all: it's very much like their previous song "Wonderwoman" (you might wanna check that out, too). And I'm not a fan of Lara or Shane Shu either.

Here's an interesting tidbit: Shane Shu, lead singer of Shane Shu, was born in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada and raised by a Dutch father and a Dutch/Chinese mother. The band has a MySpace site where you can listen to the album as well.
Hmmm....I might have to eat my words about Shane Shu. The album sounds pretty good. :)
So I entered Henk's video vault & I listened and a plus for the first song is I didn't mind listening to the whole song which is actually a compliment from me  :)
Silkstone - Here In Your World I love guitar bands, but they just strum chords, I think they need a stronger lead guitarist and then it would really rock.
Shane Shu - The Way She Talks To Me  not my cup of tea  :-\\

Kane - Catwalk Criminal ok, this song is cool  8)  and was that Slash or a look alike? this video is Hot!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif  wait, I thought I saw Lenny Kravitz?  good song Henk. This is my favorite
  ^
Krezip - All My Life
no. I'm tired of depressed chick songs  :\'(

VanVelzen - When summer ends    I felt the need to skip to the next song  :P

Lara - That's It Baby! I think my 18 year old daughter may like this one

Leaf - New Song I like the female vocalists's voice up to a point, the ba ba da ba ba ba lyric wasn't enjoyable and they need more loud guitars  :)

Brainpower & Intwine - The Chosen (Assassin's Creed)   ok, I like this, I don't care for the game video, but I'd listen to this if it came on the radio

Written By: Henk on 03/06/08 at 4:06 pm

So I entered Henk's video vault & I listened and a plus for the first song is I didn't mind listening to the whole song which is actually a compliment from me  :)

Thank you, Mike, for taking the time to listen. :)

Silkstone - Here In Your World I love guitar bands, but they just strum chords, I think they need a stronger lead guitarist and then it would really rock.

I wonder what would/could happen if this band had come from UK or US instead of The Netherlands... International success?  ???
Maybe you're right, maybe they need a little extra...and then, who knows...
Modified to add:
I just noticed the song entered bubbling under section of Dutch Top 40 at #8.

Shane Shu - The Way She Talks To Me  not my cup of tea  :-\\

I kinda agree...it's not the best track from the album. And did you notice the Paris scenery in the video...? Well, me neither.

Kane - Catwalk Criminal ok, this song is cool  8)  and was that Slash or a look alike? this video is Hot!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif  wait, I thought I saw Lenny Kravitz?  good song Henk. This is my favorite
  ^

Glad you like it. The song has just dropped out of Top 10 this week (down three places to 13).
Kane's been around since 1999, and the funny thing is: with this song the band has drastically changed their style of music. Before this, they were a (popular) pretty much straightforward rock band..
BTW: The band described the song as "sexy".

Krezip - All My Life
no. I'm tired of depressed chick songs  :\'(

The success of this song has surprised me, I must say. It has spent 15 weeks in Top 40 up till now. Krezip have made cheerful tunes too, thank goodness.
Modified to add:
The band's new single is...Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime. Yes, I'm afraid it is... :-\\ It has entered bubbling under section at #27.

VanVelzen - When summer ends    I felt the need to skip to the next song  :P

I have mixed feelings about this one myself. One time I like it, next moment I can't stand it... It's on the soundtrack of a Dutch movie "Zomerhitte" (Summer Heat), and it's rocketing the charts (going up from 24 to 8 this week).
It's written by John Ewbank, who's also responsible for the massive success of Marco Borsato (although Marco's repertoire is in Dutch).

Lara - That's It Baby! I think my 18 year old daughter may like this one

Like I said...not one of my favorites. Average, is the word that comes to mind. Probably the reason why it's fallen out of Top 40 this week.

Leaf - New Song I like the female vocalists's voice up to a point, the ba ba da ba ba ba lyric wasn't enjoyable and they need more loud guitars  :)

Loud guitars and Leaf...that's not gonna happen. You haven't heard their previous song...? Here's link to Wonderwoman. Notice the loud guitars... ::)

Brainpower & Intwine - The Chosen (Assassin's Creed)   ok, I like this, I don't care for the game video, but I'd listen to this if it came on the radio

I like this too.
Intwine are, according to some, probably the best band in The Netherlands. Maybe they're right... Lead singer Roger was a contestant in the first Dutch series of "Idols" and made it to the final 12. Then he decided to pull out (because he didn't want to be told what to record, in case he'd win) and focus on his band. A wise decision... His fame also rubbed off on the band, and they managed to score several Top 40 hits (including two that made Top 10). Unlike many other finalists, they've remained popular.
Brainpower is a Dutch rapper. He's had his fair share of chart success too, including a #1. All his previous recordings were in Dutch, apart from a duet with Nas in 2002 ("One Mic")  that made #17.

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/08 at 8:00 pm

Alot of good stuff here Henk.  I quite liked that Kane one the best :)

Written By: Henk on 03/12/08 at 1:15 am

Alot of good stuff here Henk.  I quite liked that Kane one the best :)

Thanks for listening/watching, Jason. :)

To give you an impression of Kane's previous repertoire, I suggest you try "Damn Those Eyes" (for ca. 1999 period) and "Rain Down On Me" (for 2000-2007 period).

Written By: Henk on 03/29/08 at 4:37 pm

Maybe I should add a few newer videos...to keep you updated.

Nikki - Hello World
This song is currently #1 in Dutch Top 40. Nikki is the winner of the Dutch 2008 edition of "Idol".

Alain Clark - Father and Friend
Currently #5 and slowly falling. They are indeed father and son, in case you might wonder.

Krezip - Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometime
New entry this week, coming in at #31. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but it's not that great either.

Kane - Shot of a Gun
Kane's latest, and they're back to square one. It's nothing like "Catwalk Criminal"... Currently #1 in bubbling under section.

All Missing Pieces - Busdriver
Three young boys (brothers, I believe) age 15, 13 and 11, with a song that's highly unlikely to become a classic. Still, the band is growing in popularity and may be the next big thing. If they are: remember where you saw them first.

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/08 at 6:22 pm

I already knew about that Nikki song.  I quite enjoy it.  I came across it on my chart musings at http://www.top40-hits.com

I go there frequently to see what's in the charts around the world

Written By: Tam on 03/30/08 at 1:28 am

Silkstone - Here In Your World I definitely enjoyed this ONe !

Shane Shu - The Way She Talks To Me Groovy beat - but his voice drives me crazy! ;D

Kane - Catwalk Criminal Excellent song - reminds me a little bit of INXS

Krezip - All My Life Blech! (for now anyway....)

VanVelzen - When Summer Ends Not feeling this one either

Lara - That's It Baby Paris Hilton?? Hahaha! Seriously, she is a good singer but not really what I am into

Leaf - New Song The music in this one is awesome but I have to agree with Mike on the ba ba ba ba ba junk

Brainpower & Intwine - The Chosen (Assassin's Creed) Love this one! I am liking the rock with rap a lot more than I used to that's for sure! ;)

Written By: Tam on 04/09/08 at 12:09 pm

Ok Henk!!!

Would you believe that I heard Leaf - New Song on the radio last night?
Well, it wasn't on regular radio. I heard it on Sirius Satellite!

I must admit, it is getting a little bit ctahcy for me... I might actually start to like this song more ;)

Written By: Henk on 04/09/08 at 12:48 pm

Ok Henk!!!

Would you believe that I heard Leaf - New Song on the radio last night?
Well, it wasn't on regular radio. I heard it on Sirius Satellite!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I must admit, it is getting a little bit ctahcy for me... I might actually start to like this song more ;)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;)

...and in case you missed these earlier:

Maybe I should add a few newer videos...to keep you updated.

Nikki - Hello World
This song is currently #1 in Dutch Top 40. Nikki is the winner of the Dutch 2008 edition of "Idol".

Alain Clark - Father and Friend
Currently #5 and slowly falling. They are indeed father and son, in case you might wonder.

Krezip - Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometime
New entry this week, coming in at #31. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but it's not that great either.

Kane - Shot of a Gun
Kane's latest, and they're back to square one. It's nothing like "Catwalk Criminal"... Currently #1 in bubbling under section.

All Missing Pieces - Busdriver
Three young boys (brothers, I believe) age 15, 13 and 11, with a song that's highly unlikely to become a classic. Still, the band is growing in popularity and may be the next big thing. If they are: remember where you saw them first.

Written By: Tam on 04/09/08 at 1:13 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;)

...and in case you missed these earlier:

oOo I did miss those - I will have to check them out as well ;)

Written By: Henk on 04/12/08 at 10:10 am

All new, all fresh...not even in bubbling under section.

One of our music channels (TMF - The Music Factory) has an ongoing search for new talent, called the "Kweekvijver" (breeding ground). Singers/Bands can upload their songs & videos to the channel's site, in the hope of a breakthrough. I've checked the site, and noticed there are hundreds of them... If you get enough friends/views, you can eventually "buy" yourself a highlighted feature on the site, and even a short slot on tv. Four times a year, a poll will be held to find out which acts deserve more attention. Once a year (I'm not sure about this) one talent will be promoted into the new "Kweekvijver Talent" with the record deal, the song, the video and the like.
Well, long story short: this is the lastest one of them.

Eva Jane - Spinning Around

Eva Jane used to be a background singer (familiar story...) and she's not as goodlooking as the video suggests. ;)

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Videos: April 12, 2008]

Written By: Henk on 04/29/08 at 9:16 am

NEW VIDEOS!

"Squeeze Me"- Kraak & Smaak feat. Ben Westbeech (new entry at #20)

"My Own Little Bubble" - Dennis (bubbling under #7)
Don't let the name mislead you...it's a girl. Video has clippings of Dutch movie "Dunya & Desie", featuring Emmy Award winner Maryam Hassouni.

"Modern World" - Anouk (bubbling under #12)
I don't know...Video might be offending/controversial to some.

and last but not least...

"Your Heart Belongs To Me" - Hind (bubbling under #26)
The Dutch entry for the Eurovision Song Contest, and who knows...we might just make the final this year.

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Videos: July 11, 2008]

Written By: Henk on 07/11/08 at 2:16 pm

Even though nobody seems to be interested (anymore), I'll post some more recent videos here.
I've indicated their current chart positions in Dutch Top 40.

Can You Hear Me - Enrique Iglesias  (#1, non-mover)

This Is The Life - Amy MacDonald (#2, non-mover. Former #1)
For reasons unkown to me, this song only got to #28 in UK...

Shingaling - Jean-Claude Ades feat. Vincent Thomas (#7, going up. No music video)
No, I can't tell you why.

Watch Out - Alex Gaudino feat. Shena (#9, going down).
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds an awful lot like Mousse T's "Horny"...?  ???

Blow Me Away - Alain Clark (#13, going down)

Drop Down (Do My Dance) - Afrojack & The Partysquad (#21, going down)

Sweet About Me - Gabriella Cilmi (#25, new entry)
A cross between Duffy and Amy Winehouse...? And is she really only 17? Anyway - she could be the next big thing.

Be Together - Supafly Inc. (#26, new entry. No music video)

Ella Elle l'A - Kate Ryan (#29, new entry)
A cover version of the 1988 France Gall song (about Ella Fitzgerald!).
Kate has already surpassed the original, that only reached #30 in Dutch Top 40...but I'm missing Ella. :-\\

When You Touch Me - Freemasons feat. Katherine Ellis (#30, new entry)

A Higher Love - DJ Jurgen (#34, going up. Incomplete video)
Well, it ain't no "Better Off Alone", that's for sure.

Eeyeeyo - Darryl feat. Ali B, Soumia en Rio (#39, new entry)
Yes, it's Dutch. Yes, that's Ryan Babel. ...Ryan Babel, yes.

Carnaval de Paris - DJ Maurice (#40, going down. No music video)
Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to make a remix. The original is sooooooooooooooooo much better.

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/08 at 2:49 pm

"Watch Out" is based upon Gary Glitter's 70s classic "Rock and Roll - Part 2".  I am addicted to it! :)

As always, Kate Ryan and Freemasons songs are awesome!

That Carnaval De Paris remix wasn't bad, but I'll take Dario G anyday

Written By: Henk on 07/11/08 at 3:05 pm

"Watch Out" is based upon Gary Glitter's 70s classic "Rock and Roll - Part 2".  I am addicted to it! :)

It is? Hmmm... I must be missing something then. Still sounds like "Horny" to me. :P

I'm not sure everyone knows that Alex Gaudino also used "Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag" by Pigbag (a #8 in Dutch Top 40 in 1983).

"Rock 'n Roll Part 2" does sound a lot like this, though...or rather: vice versa.

As always, Kate Ryan and Freemasons songs are awesome!

Well, I'm not impressed.

That Carnaval De Paris remix wasn't bad, but I'll take Dario G anyday

Glad we agree.

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/08 at 3:10 pm

It is? Hmmm... I must be missing something then. Still sounds like "Horny" to me. :P

I'm not sure everyone knows that Alex Gaudino also used "Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag" by Pigbag (a #8 in Dutch Top 40 in 1983).

Pigbag.  That's it.  I always get that confused wth Rock and Roll Part 2.  They sound sort of similar

"Rock 'n Roll Part 2" does sound a lot like this, though...or rather: vice versa.

Yep.  Timelords based Tardis' on Rock and Roll Part 2. 

Written By: Paul on 07/11/08 at 3:18 pm

Not only that, but 'Blockbuster' (Sweet) and the theme from 'Dr. Who' are in there somewheres...three for the price of one!

(Gawd knows how that ever hit #1 here, but then, '88 wasn't a vintage year... :P)

Written By: Henk on 07/11/08 at 3:25 pm

Pigbag.  That's it.  I always get that confused wth Rock and Roll Part 2.  They sound sort of similar

So we agree after all.

Not only that, but 'Blockbuster' (Sweet) and the theme from 'Dr. Who' are in there somewheres...three for the price of one!

(Gawd knows how that ever hit #1 here, but then, '88 wasn't a vintage year... :P)

I've always loved this tune, and now I know why.

1988...what a great year in music. It also gave us this legendary song. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/08 at 10:51 pm

I didn't know about Blockbuster, but now that you mention it, I can totally hear it in there. 
Tardis bombed in the States (it did chart though), but it was a Top 40 in Canada, but not until 1991.  We were a little late catching on LOL

Written By: Henk on 07/12/08 at 2:27 am

Sweet About Me - Gabriella Cilmi (#25, new entry)
A cross between Duffy and Amy Winehouse...? And is she really only 17? Anyway - she could be the next big thing.

Well, actually... she's only 16, turning 17 in October.

Written By: Henk on 08/29/08 at 3:12 pm

New videos, for those interested.

Eric Prydz - Pjanoo (#4, moving up)
Crap video, IMHO. Song is OK.

Lionel Richie & Trijntje Oosterhuis - Face In The Crowd (#9, non-mover)
Not a cover of the Tom Petty song, and no music video available.

Armin van Buuren feat. Sharon den Adel - In And Out Of Love (#11, going up)

David Guetta & Chris Willis vs. Tocadisco - Tomorrow Can Wait (#23, going down)
You can't go wrong with David Guetta. 8)

Axwell & Bob Sinclar feat. Ron Carroll - What A Wonderful World (#28, new entry)
I'm not impressed. (...Remember "Lucky Star" by Superfunk? Also featured Ron Carroll)

Pete Philly & Perquisite - Mystery Repeats (#35, going up)
Yes, they're Dutch, and I like this one so much better than their previous single "Empire". :)

And some that aren't in Top 40 yet:

Guru Josh Project - Infinity 2008 (b/u #29)
Yes, it's a (vocal) remake of "Infinity (1990's ...Time For The Guru)". Why? I don't know.

Basshunter - All I Ever Wanted (b/u #17)
OK, so this is getting really old now... Basshunter rerecording his own songs over and over again.
This is just and English version of "DotA" (which in itself was a remake of "Daddy DJ" by Daddy DJ).

Lady GaGa feat. Colbie O'Donis - Just Dance (b/u #8)
Now this sounds like a hit record to me. 8)

Robin Thicke - Magic (b/u #5)
A song that hasn't been a hit (yet) in US or UK, slowly creeping towards the Top 40. I think he used "Move On Up" by Curtis Mayfield for this one.

DJ Jose - House Of Justice 2008 (b/u #3)
Remix of a 2000 classic by the original artist. I think there's a (shorter) single edit out as well, but you'll have to do with this.

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Videos: August 29, 2008]

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/08 at 1:02 am

'All I Ever Wanted' was a smash hit in the UK.  The one thing that makes me laugh is that his 2008 CD LOL <(^^,)> (which I own) is full of dance songs about computers and technology.  He released an English CD titled 'Now You're Gone - The Album' and turned those songs about computers into songs about love.  It's quite cheesy, but dang, I love it.  His version of KC and the Sunshine Band's 'Please Don't Go' and the Fonzarelli remix of 'Now You're Gone' are on High rotation when I listen to the CD at work :)

That Lady GaGa track should do well over there.  It (so far) bombed in the US chart, but it recently hit #1 in Canada, destroying Katy Perry's chance for a 10th week at #1 with 'I Kissed A Girl'

I know the Prydz, Van Burren, Guetta and Axwell tracks very well.  Love them all 8)

The rest I didn't know, but I especially liked that Pete Philly track :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/08 at 3:00 pm

Also on that Basshunter album is a track called 'Angel in the Night' which I liked so much, I kept thinking to myself "This song should be a hit".  Guess what?  It's going to be the next single 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmS2wRXZ6co

I predicted that same thing with Kylie Minogue's 'In My Arms'

Man, I sure can recognize future hits 8)

Written By: Henk on 09/01/08 at 3:39 pm

Also on that Basshunter album is a track called 'Angel in the Night' which I liked so much, I kept thinking to myself "This song should be a hit".  Guess what?  It's going to be the next single 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmS2wRXZ6co

I'm not so sure it's gonna be a hit... Well, not over here anyway. It's OK, but it doesn't really stand out IMHO.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/08 at 3:53 pm

I'm not so sure it's gonna be a hit... Well, not over here anyway. It's OK, but it doesn't really stand out IMHO.  :-\\

His UK audience will lap it up like they did with 'All I Ever Wanted'.  I still prefer DotA

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/08 at 1:34 pm

His UK audience will lap it up like they did with 'All I Ever Wanted'

And 'Angel in the Night' has debuted in the UK chart outside of the Top 40.  I wonder if it will rise into the Top 40?  Probably not likely since it is quite rare for a song to rise up the UK chart

Written By: Henk on 08/22/09 at 3:12 am

It's been a while since I last updated this thread, but here are some fairly new videos/songs that you might not know (yet).

Mi Rowsu (Tuintje In Mijn Hart) - Damaru & Jan Smit
Currently #1 in Dutch Top 40. Damaru is BIG in his home country Surinam, Jan Smit is BIG in Holland.
'Mi Rowsu' means 'My Little Rose'.

Slaap Lekker (Fantastig Toch) - Diggy Dex feat. Eva De Roovere
An original song by Belgian singer Eva De Roovere, remixed/remade by Diggy Dex. Of course, you don't understand a word of it!

Wicked Way - Waylon
The singer ended second in Holland's Got Talent, and recently signed a contract for Motown Records (first Dutchman ever).

Lambada 3000 - Gregor Salto & Kaoma
Of course this was bound to happen some time... I prefer the original.

La Mezcla - Michel Cleis
Apparently he used a Columbian tune for this remix.

Back It Up - Caro Emerald
Yes, she's Dutch, and no, I don't know why we see so many closeups of her mouth either.

Mama Do (Uh Oh Uh Oh) - Pixie Lott
Not sure if this made it to North America (yet), but I'll post it anyway.

We Are Golden - Mika
No comment.

Haus Am See - Peter Fox
The song is already nearly a year old, and it's German, I know - but it only recently made Dutch charts. Not sure if Peter has recorded an English version too. 'Haus Am See' means 'Lakeside House'. I like the video better than the song, btw.

Three Days In A Row - Anouk
Holland's best kept secret. It is my strong belief that if Anouk were American, she'd be world famous. This song entered our charts this week, and I'm sure it will make Top 10.

Moombah - Silvio Ecomo & Chuckie
No idea what this is doing in our charts. Sorry guys, there doesn't seem to be a radio edit.

Take Control (Nu Edit) - Sono
This is a remix of a song that was first released some 2.5 years ago. I prefer the original version.

I Will Be Here - Tiësto & Sneaky Sound System
Tiësto's heydays are over, it appears.

Bulletproof - La Roux
I'm absolutely stumped. Why wasn't this a bigger hit in Holland?

Second Chance - Shinedown
Another completely superfluous band, if you ask me. Sorry if you're a fan.

And now, prepare for a shock...

Sledgehammer - John Marks Project feat. René Froger
Three words: O.M.G. :o  Remember where you heard it first... Currently in bubbling under section.

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Videos: August 22, 2009]

Written By: whistledog on 08/22/09 at 8:51 pm

NEver thought I'd hear a dance version of a Peter Gabriel song.  I quite like that :)

Some other good stuff there, a few I already knew (Pixie Litt, Shiendown, Mika, Tiesto and La Roux).  That Lambada 3000 isn't great, but it's not terrible.  I too prefer the Kaoma original

I actually bought the CD of La Roux.  'Bulletproof' is a minor hit in Canada, which I am still surprised it even charted here

That Anouk song sounds like the kind of music that would do well over here.  I wonder if it will enter the US chart?

Written By: Henk on 08/23/09 at 1:19 am

NEver thought I'd hear a dance version of a Peter Gabriel song.  I quite like that :)

I admit, it isn't half bad. I'm not sure if it'll make Top 40, even though René Froger is a popular singer over here.

Some other good stuff there, a few I already knew (Pixie Litt, Shiendown, Mika, Tiesto and La Roux).  That Lambada 3000 isn't great, but it's not terrible.  I too prefer the Kaoma original

At least he stuck to the original, which keeps it recognizable.

I actually bought the CD of La Roux.  'Bulletproof' is a minor hit in Canada, which I am still surprised it even charted here

'Bulletproof' peaked at #29 over here. WAY too low, if you ask me.

That Anouk song sounds like the kind of music that would do well over here.  I wonder if it will enter the US chart?

I doubt it - though it would be a nice surprise. She's been trying for years, even moved to Ohio for a while.
I'm not sure if you know, but she has released at least one single in Canada: "With You", a duet with Dan Hill. It was an extra track on her album "Hotel New York".

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/09 at 9:37 pm

I doubt it - though it would be a nice surprise. She's been trying for years, even moved to Ohio for a while.
I'm not sure if you know, but she has released at least one single in Canada: "With You", a duet with Dan Hill. It was an extra track on her album "Hotel New York".

I didn't know that actually.  If she keeps up singing with Dan Hill, she'll be #1 here in no time cause them kids today are big on Dan Hill :D :D

I will check that one out.  I do like it when non Canadians collaborate with Canadians.  It gives them a good chance at better success here

Written By: Henk on 09/15/09 at 1:22 am

It's been a while since I last updated this thread, but here are some fairly new videos/songs that you might not know (yet).

Three Days In A Row - Anouk
Holland's best kept secret. It is my strong belief that if Anouk were American, she'd be world famous. This song entered our charts this week, and I'm sure it will make Top 10.

Not only did it make Top 10, it also hit the #1 spot this week - making it Anouk's first ever #1 in Holland.

Here's something new...Silly Boy - Eva Simons.
A crossover between Rihanna and Lady GaGa, with the looks of La Roux. Could be a hit.

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Video: September 15, 2009]

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/09 at 7:10 pm

Here's something new...Silly Boy - Eva Simons.
A crossover between Rihanna and Lady GaGa, with the looks of La Roux. Could be a hit.

It is a catchy tune.  It could easily be a hit.

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Video: September 15, 2009]

Written By: Henk on 11/08/09 at 4:15 pm

This is not really a new song/tune, but it's currently in our charts. Genuine music!

Kyteman - Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xr4bJtxhg

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Video: November 8, 2009]

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/09 at 5:26 pm

^ I saw that in searches I was doing the other day.  I quite like that

Written By: Henk on 11/09/09 at 2:02 pm

^ I saw that in searches I was doing the other day.  I quite like that

You're not the only one. Kyteman's popularity is rapidly increasing.

I wonder what you were searching for, though.  ???

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/09 at 8:39 am

You're not the only one. Kyteman's popularity is rapidly increasing.

I wonder what you were searching for, though.  ???

Charts around the world, looking for new songs.

Subject: Re: Henk's Video Vault [Latest Videos: December 4, 2009]

Written By: Henk on 12/04/09 at 5:43 am

See if I can tickle your senses with some new(ish) vids. All songs currently in Dutch Top 40.
Unfortunately, most of these videos have embedding enabled, so you have to click through to the YouTube site (and probably allow pop-ups).

Anouk - Woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVS_zJy0-U

Kane - No Surrender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5miqJhGMkw

This is a song from a Dutch movie "Komt Een Vrouw Bij De Dokter" (A woman comes to see the doctor...), based on the novel of the same title.

Di-rect - Times Are Changing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8psxogp1es

The first song of the band with new singer Marcel Veenendaal.

Laura Jansen - Use Somebody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBzcOUOY5YY

Indeed, a cover version of the Kings Of Leon song. Not a bad effort.

Ralf - Click Clack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhrYAIycsBE

Some of you already know this one, as I've posted it elsewhere too. Winner of the Junior ESC 2009.

Armin van Buuren feat. VanVelzen - Broken Tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjTNjlaMi8

With all the remixes out, I've no idea which one's the most popular. Probably this one.

The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7HQrgakZU

The Temper Trap are an Australian band. Hope to hear more from them.  

Check for new replies or respond here...