inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Aaron, Ruth or Bonds....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/04 at 1:47 pm

Ruth got my vote....This is strictly for the poll....you can rant more in the other thread covering this topic ;)

Subject: Re: Aaron, Ruth or Bonds....

Written By: Dagwood on 04/21/04 at 7:21 pm

I went with Ruth, too.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/01/04 at 5:56 pm

I went with Ruth, too.
Great choice, Dagny ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/01/04 at 9:32 pm

I went with Hank. Ruth was a good home run hitter and, early on, adecent pitcher. But Hank Aaron had more of adversity against him: racism, a less than Ruth-like physique, playing in Milwuakee before the Braves moved to Atlanta. That's why he is the greatest

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/04 at 12:01 pm

I went with Hank. Ruth was a good home run hitter and, early on, adecent pitcher. But Hank Aaron had more of adversity against him: racism, a less than Ruth-like physique, playing in Milwuakee before the Braves moved to Atlanta. That's why he is the greatest
I agree that he was great....BUT Hank Aaron hit 755 home runs in 600 more games and 3,000 more at bats, than Babe Ruth, who hit 714.....a mere 41 less. Anyway....for as good as "Hammerin' Hank was...I think, head to head, Ruth was the greatest of all time.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/04 at 2:53 pm

I agree that he was great....BUT Hank Aaron hit 755 home runs in 600 more games and 3,000 more at bats, than Babe Ruth, who hit 714.....a mere 41 less. Anyway....for as good as "Hammerin' Hank was...I think, head to head, Ruth was the greatest of all time.

This was my exact reasoning for going with Ruth.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/04 at 4:52 pm

I went with Hank. My vote is not based just on athletic ability because the three of them have/had that. I am voting based on personality and sportmanship.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/04 at 6:35 pm

I went with Hank. My vote is not based just on athletic ability because the three of them have/had that. I am voting based on personality and sportmanship.

Cat

You must not have seen the archive films showing Babe Ruth working with kids....children loved and admired him.  Hank was a decent guy but I once heard him talking about the record and bragging...kinda like Bonds does whenever he does something....and that kinda put me off a bit.  I know Ruth had some personal problems but he kept his private life private.  Off the subjuect just a little...my Dad grew up in Trenton, NJ and told me that when he was a little boy he was fortunate enough to see Ruth play in a dirt lot about 3 blocks from where my Dad lived....Dad ended up with a baseball that had been hit near the house by Ruth but he returned it :-\

Written By: LithiumParodyCat54 on 05/02/04 at 8:58 pm

Hank Aaron

Written By: Hairspray on 05/03/04 at 12:31 am

Babe Ruth

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 9:41 am

Babe Ruth
;)

Written By: hoogbest on 06/02/04 at 1:43 pm

Babe Ruth if for no reason other than that dead ball.....it took a lot more power and timing in that era to hit a home run.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 2:12 pm

Babe Ruth if for no reason other than that dead ball.....it took a lot more power and timing in that era to hit a home run.
Yet Another good reason for choosing Babe :)

Written By: Cheetara on 06/02/04 at 2:15 pm

Babe Ruth

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/04 at 12:25 pm

Since Barry's closing in on The Geatest of all-Time...IMHO, Babe Ruth....I thought I'd bring this topic back from page 18!

Written By: dale smith on 09/18/04 at 1:42 pm

as of right now Aaron is the greatest, just look at the numbers. but in a couple of years Bonds will be the greatest.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/04 at 2:53 pm

as of right now Aaron is the greatest, just look at the numbers. but in a couple of years Bonds will be the greatest.
Tru, very true...numbers don't lie....Hank Aaron hit 755 home runs in 600 more games and 3,000 more at bats, than Babe Ruth, who hit 714.....a mere 41 less. Anyway....for as good as "Hammerin' Hank was...I think, head to head, Ruth was the greatest of all time.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/18/04 at 4:55 pm

Ruth, if he played for as long as Aaron did he probably would be in the 800's.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/04 at 5:29 pm

Ruth, if he played for as long as Aaron did he probably would be in the 800's.
As far as "Years" go he played only one less the Hank...BUT he played his entire career when the regular season was only 154 games...thus Hank had 3,000 more at bats and 600 more games than That Sultan Of Swat!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/18/04 at 6:15 pm

And of course, we have to take into account that the Babe did a lot of his hitting after eating,
drinking, and (how you say) showing his love.  The sultan had his feasts and his harems. ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/04 at 8:50 pm

And of course, we have to take into account that the Babe did a lot of his hitting after eating,
drinking, and (how you say) showing his love.  The sultan had his feasts and his harems. ::)
Indeed, but they should never make Lovin', Drinkin' and Eatin' a crime ;)

Written By: Lanie on 09/18/04 at 10:36 pm

Babe Ruth :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/04 at 11:21 pm

Babe Ruth :)
:) So far it's 2-1 for Babe Ruth ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/04 at 6:14 pm

Okay, I'll agree with you that Babe made his home runs in fewer game. But let me ask you this: would Babe even have the stamina and strength to hit 800 while playing in 162 games a season, especially with his (alleged) drinking and carousing?

As far as "Years" go he played only one less the Hank...BUT he played his entire career when the regular season was only 154 games...thus Hank had 3,000 more at bats and 600 more games than That Sultan Of Swat!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 7:31 pm

Okay, I'll agree with you that Babe made his home runs in fewer game. But let me ask you this: would Babe even have the stamina and strength to hit 800 while playing in 162 games a season, especially with his (alleged) drinking and carousing?

I really can't say but I just think he was the best..if only stat wise. Better than Bonds and definately better than Hank :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/04 at 9:55 pm

Well no one can say that since a lot of us weren't born when the Babe died. But if Bonds does beat Hank's record, than he would be the best, * or not.

I really can't say but I just think he was the best..if only stat wise. Better than Bonds and definately better than Hank :-\\

Subject: Aaron, Ruth or Bonds....

Written By: Dude111 on 09/14/17 at 3:08 am

Well up until now so far NO ONE has done better than Mr. Ruth!! :)

Written By: nally on 09/14/17 at 6:03 pm

Well, even though Bonds broke the all-time home run record 10 years ago, I don't think I would vote for him, given his allegations of PED use during the late 1990s into the 2000s. But the guy I'm sure has some good qualities.

Check for new replies or respond here...