inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Athens Olympics

Written By: jaytee on 04/28/04 at 8:43 am

I've heard on the news that the IOC has taken out an insurance policy for $230,000,000 in case the Games are cancelled.  Wouldn't that be weird.  They said it's the first time in history that this has happened. 

Subject: Re: The Athens Olympics

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/28/04 at 8:48 am

Well, all the news reports that I am seeing on TV shows these piles of rubble where there are supposed to be sporting complexes, so someone better pull someone's fingers out  ;D

Written By: Marian on 04/28/04 at 2:16 pm

:DI don't think they'll cancel events due to incomplete buildings;i think they'll just move them to a smaller,less swanky place.However there are instances where they have been cancelled.Cheers!

Written By: jaytee on 04/29/04 at 6:27 am

Well, all the news reports that I am seeing on TV shows these piles of rubble where there are supposed to be sporting complexes, so someone better pull someone's fingers out  ;D

Perhaps they could give "Backyard Blitz" or "Ground Force" a call.  It's truly amazing what those guys can accomplish in a weekend.  ::) ;D

Written By: jaytee on 04/29/04 at 6:33 am

:DI don't think they'll cancel events due to incomplete buildings;i think they'll just move them to a smaller,less swanky place.However there are instances where they have been cancelled.Cheers!

I don't think the paying public would be overly happy with smaller venues (I suppose the people that actually get tickets would be)  but if they're not getting bums on seats the Greeks are going to be paying for the Games for many years to come. 

Written By: Bobby on 04/29/04 at 6:40 am

I think The Olympics is better off held in one of those ruins they have - they seem better developed.  ;D

Written By: jaytee on 04/29/04 at 6:43 am

I think The Olympics is better off held in one of those ruins they have - they seem better developed.  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/29/04 at 7:18 am

Its not just the lack of completed venues that has caused the enormous insurance policy. 

Its the lack of hotels - most have not even commenced construction. 

Lack of roads - I saw footage of single lane roads closed down to one lane with rusted tractors sitting there cos apparently the contractors are all on strike.

Lack of public transport and no provision whatsoever for getting athletes to and from venues.

The few hotels available are booked solid and parents and supporters of Australian athletes (and I would imagine those of many other countries) have been told there is no where for them to stay.  (During our Olympics we had a billetting system for overseas parents - they got to stay with Aussie families).  I saw an interview with a swimmers mum and she was saying the only hotel she could find wanted to charge her $2500 per night.

Then we move on to security - ie they have none !  They have flown in experts who worked on Sydney and Atlanta's games as they are unable to cope with it themselves.

They have also changed specifications set down by experts from the last 4 games for track and field and the pools etc  And the Aussie shooter said the shooting field is a wind tunnel.

Its ridiculous when they have had 8 years to plan for this.

I actually heard a rumour from an athlete - I seriously have no idea if its true so dont take it as gospel.  Some athletes have been told the insurance policy is to cover moving the games to sydney in an emergency and venues have already had their calenders emptied for the 6 weeks just in case.

I will be curious to know how valid the rumour is.

As far as I know the only time they cancelled the games ever was during one or both of the big wars WW1 and WW2.  I know Hitler opened one games so that must have been just before the war ?  Would check my books but i STILL havent unpacked them !!

Do you think our premiums would rise if that policy had to be paid out !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can you imagine !!!!!!

Written By: Paul on 04/29/04 at 7:45 am

As far as I know the only time they cancelled the games ever was during one or both of the big wars WW1 and WW2.  I know Hitler opened one games so that must have been just before the war ?  Would check my books but i STILL havent unpacked them !!

I think that was the 1936 games in Berlin, BMG - if memory serves, Hitler left the stadium in a huff when a supposedly 'superior' German athlete was beaten by an 'inferior race' athlete...Jesse Owens...

Bit worrying over what is, or what isn't, happening out there...mind you, I'm convinced a lot of these contenders just put a bid in thinking they'll achieve another Atlanta or Sydney (big money-spinners both...), without putting much, if any, effort in...

It's what also concerns me about London's 2012 bid...not wishing to pour cold water on the idea, but I'm not altogether convinced we've got everything in place, or will have in 8 years or less, should we get the nod...

Written By: jaytee on 04/29/04 at 8:17 am

Its not just the lack of completed venues that has caused the enormous insurance policy. 

Then we move on to security - ie they have none !  They have flown in experts who worked on Sydney and Atlanta's games as they are unable to cope with it themselves.

They have also changed specifications set down by experts from the last 4 games for track and field and the pools etc  And the Aussie shooter said the shooting field is a wind tunnel.

Its ridiculous when they have had 8 years to plan for this.

I actually heard a rumour from an athlete - I seriously have no idea if its true so dont take it as gospel.  Some athletes have been told the insurance policy is to cover moving the games to sydney in an emergency and venues have already had their calenders emptied for the 6 weeks just in case.

I will be curious to know how valid the rumour is.

Do you think our premiums would rise if that policy had to be paid out !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can you imagine !!!!!!

The security is creating big headaches for them.  The Greek Committee is unhappy because some countries want to bring their own security (can't blame them in this day and age). I think they should let them BYO although this would mean additional strain on the accommodation situation.

It must be very embarrassing for them but as you said they've had plenty of time to get their act together.

Haven't heard any rumours about Sydney but wouldn't that be interesting??   We could all lob at Mandamoo's place !!! ;D ;D

Just imagine, if the Games didn't go ahead - that would be the Mother of all insurance payouts!!

Written By: Bobby on 04/29/04 at 7:10 pm

I think that was the 1936 games in Berlin, BMG - if memory serves, Hitler left the stadium in a huff when a supposedly 'superior' German athlete was beaten by an 'inferior race' athlete...Jesse Owens...

Take a look at this, Paul. I found it by accident . . .

http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth10.htm

Written By: Paul on 04/30/04 at 1:08 pm

Wow! Excellent spot, Bobby...

I was brought up for years with that piece of 'information'...nice one...

You'll be telling me the moon isn't made of green cheese next...!

Written By: Bobby on 04/30/04 at 5:48 pm

Wow! Excellent spot, Bobby...

I was brought up for years with that piece of 'information'...nice one...

You'll be telling me the moon isn't made of green cheese next...!

Heh heh, no probs. Ironically enough I was about to confirm what you just said but I wanted some background info, so I checked Google and I was wrong too.  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/30/04 at 7:26 pm

I think that we should look to the 1972 games in Munich to know how NOT to run an Olympics. German security was very lax, and it cost the lives of 11 Israel soldiers. Most of the Arab terrorists involved have either been killed or incarcerated, but we must never forget how fragile international relations are in the Middle East, ever since the beginning of time. Nor must we forget the martyrdom of 11 innocent athlete would never carry guns who were slaughtered that summer. :'(

And we hope never to have another terrorist act at the Games after Atlanta.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/01/04 at 2:55 am

Take a look at this, Paul. I found it by accident . . .

http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth10.htm

Great spotto Bobby !!  What would life be minus Google !!  Its not actually a tale/myth etc that I was familiar with - but I knew I had a picture in my head of Hitler being at games !!!

About an hour after my last post I read an article in the paper stating that Mark Spitz was claiming the US team will pull out altogether if Greece doesnt get its act together. 
Anyone know any of the US team who can confirm the rumour ?

I think that we should look to the 1972 games in Munich to know how NOT to run an Olympics. German security was very lax, and it cost the lives of 11 Israel soldiers. Most of the Arab terrorists involved have either been killed or incarcerated, but we must never forget how fragile international relations are in the Middle East, ever since the beginning of time. Nor must we forget the martyrdom of 11 innocent athlete would never carry guns who were slaughtered that summer. :'(

And we hope never to have another terrorist act at the Games after Atlanta.

So true Indy - so true.  Can you confirm - I always thought it wasnt just soldiers killed in Munich - I thought there were athletes killed as well ??

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/01/04 at 8:22 am

So true Indy - so true.  Can you confirm - I always thought it wasnt just soldiers killed in Munich - I thought there were athletes killed as well ??

I think it was just a typo from Indy, BMG, it was definitely Israeli athletes that were killed  :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/03/04 at 10:25 am

I've heard on the news that the IOC has taken out an insurance policy for $230,000,000 in case the Games are cancelled.  Wouldn't that be weird.  They said it's the first time in history that this has happened. 
That would suck, jaytee.  Then we'd all miss seeing Jennie Finch pitch :-\

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2003/05/16/3HCrEDdp.jpg

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/04 at 10:55 am

Wow! That's a cracking picture, Rocknrollfan.  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/03/04 at 11:35 am

Wow! That's a cracking picture, Rocknrollfan.  :D
Thank you Sir...You may have Another :o

http://www.askmen.com/imagesmodel/2003_aug/jennie_finch/jennie_finch_150.JPG

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/04 at 11:40 am

http://www.askmen.com/imagesmodel/2003_aug/jennie_finch/jennie_finch_150.JPG

Thank you. She looks better with every photo, Rocknrollfan.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 9:51 am

Thank you. She looks better with every photo, Rocknrollfan.  :)
No problem, Bobby ;D

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/04/04 at 5:48 pm

IMO Greece was a terrible choice for the olympics. They do not have any respect nor do they care about their rapidly growing pet over population or animal welfare. They poison cats and dogs and hang them from trees and throw stones at them. For the last year they have been slaughtering animals before the olympics so that they will not be on the streets once it arrives. The majority are mean, selfish people that believe that they are the only race that can do any right. The Greeks live in the stone age, literally.

SmithsGirl

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/05/04 at 7:25 am

Three bomb blasts today in Athens just to add some excitement to the mix  ::) :-\ :-\ :-\

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/05/04 at 9:24 am

Three bomb blasts today in Athens just to add some excitement to the mix  ::) :-\ :-\ :-\

Yeah I have been wondering all day how many countries Olympic committees will go into panic mode now.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/04 at 2:37 pm

Sorry...I didn't realise things were that bad out there... :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/04 at 6:07 pm

It seems like such a farce. The Olympics are really a Greek invention. It started there many centuries ago and the very first "modern" Olympics took place in Athens in 1898(?). They were so thrilled when they won the bid. Now, they are totally screwing it up. They had 3 years at least. I mean THREE YEARS! What have they been doing? I can tell you right now, Greece will probably NEVER win the bid to host again.

I lived in Greece for about 9 months back in the late 80s. We heard about bombs going off all the time. This one time, this guy I knew showed me this mangled thing in his hand. It was a combination of metal, glass, and gravel. He told me that was what was left of his car rack. We had to go around in a bus that had bullet-proof glass in it and had to keep changing the schedule for the bus runs. Another thing that really turned me off about Greece was it was just so dirty. When I got back to the States, I flew into Philly and Philly looked clean to me compared to Athens.

It would be a shame that the Olympics were cancelled due to STUPIDITY! Another thing could be that the Greek government could have set those bombs to ask for a postponement but highly unlikely. I saw an interview with the mayor of Athens and she believes that they will be ready. YEAH RIGHT! Seeing is believing.

Cat

Written By: Powerslave on 05/05/04 at 7:57 pm

There was talk after the last Olympics in Sydney that if Athens didn't get their act together in time, the Olympics would revert to Sydney again. Too late for that to happen now.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/16/04 at 10:15 pm

Jennie Finch led Team USA to a 4-1 victory over her former colllege Arizona, 4-1 tonight....
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2003/0228/photo/jf_cu.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/16/04 at 10:46 pm

Hubby heard a rumor that after the Olympics are over, she's going to do a "spread" for Playboy (pun intended);)
It would be nice to see some athletic females in there for a change! ;D

Written By: Corky on 06/17/04 at 11:51 am

I will be watching. Go Emilie Heymans!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Written By: Marian on 06/17/04 at 2:50 pm

I think it was just a typo from Indy, BMG, it was definitely Israeli athletes that were killed  :(
??? ???Actually,some of the athletes may have been soldiers on leave,since citizens of Israel are all required to serve some time in the military.I read somewhere Natalie Portman si considered a draft-dodger there,and is subject to arrest if she sets foot in that country.(she was born there)

Written By: Bobby on 06/17/04 at 6:27 pm

I will be watching. Go Emilie Heymans!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Emilie Heymans? I don't know her so I'm going to do a Bobby thing now and ask if anyone has a picture of Emilie Heymans.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/17/04 at 7:02 pm

Emilie Heymans? I don't know her so I'm going to do a Bobby thing now and ask if anyone has a picture of Emilie Heymans.  ;D
Hey Bobby....here she is!
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:F5ThJrsyZyUJ:www.ville.montreal.qc.ca/mtl-jeux/images/haute/03EmilieG.jpghttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:lIIlcdZw8HwJ:www.ville.montreal.qc.ca/mtl-jeux/images/haute/01emilieG.jpg

Written By: Bobby on 06/17/04 at 8:17 pm

Hey Bobby....here she is!
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:F5ThJrsyZyUJ:www.ville.montreal.qc.ca/mtl-jeux/images/haute/03EmilieG.jpghttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:lIIlcdZw8HwJ:www.ville.montreal.qc.ca/mtl-jeux/images/haute/01emilieG.jpg

I knew you wouldn't let me down, RockandRollFan.  :D

She's gorgeous.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/17/04 at 10:41 pm

I knew you wouldn't let me down, RockandRollFan.  :D

She's gorgeous.
Thanks Bobby, but she is NO match for the always lovely Jennie Finch.....
http://www.jenniefinch.net/images/pics/jenusaheadshot.jpeg

Check for new replies or respond here...