inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WNBA Season....Hey, The Ladies Can Play!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 9:12 am

Last Night the season opened with 3 games. Despite rookie Diana Tuarasi' 22 points, her Phoenix Mercury fell to the Sacramento Monarchs 72-66. Sue Bird and the Seattle Storm defeated The Minnesota Lynx 88-85 and The San Antonio Silver Stars knocked off the Houston Comets 65-55.  Tonight former Colorado State Ram Becky Hammon and her New York Liberty open against Indiana.

Subject: Re: WNBA Season....Hey, The Ladies Can Play!

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/21/04 at 9:38 am

The Fever have Tamika Catchings, Natalie Williams and former Indiana HS legend Stephanie White.

Should be a good game, RnRF.

:) Go, Fever! ;) 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 9:56 am

The Fever have Tamika Catchings, Natalie Williams and former Indiana HS legend Stephanie White.

Should be a good game, RnRF.

:) Go, Fever! ;) 
I sure hope so, Indy! BTW, I apologize for not knowing a few of the teams names...including Indiana's :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/22/04 at 11:10 am

Sheryl Swoopes scored 29 as the Comets beat Charlotte 60-53 and Indiana defeated Becky Hammon and the Liberty 69-67....

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/22/04 at 4:26 pm

Yeah, Fever! :) :) :)
And I hope Beck played a good game too, RnRF.

Sheryl Swoopes scored 29 as the Comets beat Charlotte 60-53 and Indiana defeated Becky Hammon and the Liberty 69-67....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/22/04 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, Fever! :) :) :)
And I hope Beck played a good game too, RnRF.

Well, she only scored 9 points but it's nice to have her back after she tore her acl last year ;)

Written By: scarletgail on 05/23/04 at 12:49 am

ok now i'm on the right thread for the WNBA ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/23/04 at 10:23 am

ok now i'm on the right thread for the WNBA ::)
It's great to see you (As Always) scarletgail :-* Last night Detroit beat San Antonio 73-60, Charlotte knocked off Washington 71-68, Diana Taurasi scored 26 as the Mercury beat Connecticut 65-58, Seattle over Los Angeles 93-67 and unfortunately Minnesota beat Sacremento 69-61 :-\\

Written By: scarletgail on 05/24/04 at 1:55 am

unfortunately Minnesota beat Sacremento 69-61  Yeah like gum on my shoe aren't they ::)

Written By: scarletgail on 05/24/04 at 1:56 am

unfortunately Minnesota beat Sacremento 69-61  Yeah like gum on my shoe aren't they ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/24/04 at 9:57 am

Yeah like gum on my shoe aren't they ::)
::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/24/04 at 10:04 am

Yeah! Becky Hammon pored in 22 points, 10 in the 4th quarter to lead the Liberty to a win in thier home opener, beating the Houston Comets 68-62. Sorry to say IndyGent, but Washington edged out the Fever 68-67 :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/24/04 at 9:51 pm

And they also lost at home, which makes it doubly heartbreaking. And with the Pacers probably losing at home tonight, this is beginning to look like a crummy weekend. :( :\'(
Sorry to say IndyGent, but Washington edged out the Fever 68-67 :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/24/04 at 10:02 pm

And they also lost at home, which makes it doubly heartbreaking. And with the Pacers probably losing at home tonight, this is beginning to look like a crummy weekend. :( :\'(

Hey IndyGent, things can only get better ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/24/04 at 11:58 pm

Yeah! Hopefully in Game 3. ;)

Hey IndyGent, things can only get better ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/04 at 10:24 am

Becky Hammon and the Liberty host last years champs, Detroit, tonight :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 1:21 pm

New York "Shocks" Detroit! Becky Hammon scored 12 points (10 in the 2nd half) and the Liberty used a balance attack as all the starters scored in double figures leading New York to a 64-52 victory over Ruth Riley and the defending WNBA Champion Detroit Shock. In the only other game San Antonio knocked off Minnesota 56-44. 

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/27/04 at 1:54 pm

No, things didn't get better in Game 3. But I do believe in a win in Game 4. I don't know when the Fever play next.
Yeah! Hopefully in Game 3. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 4:25 pm

No, things didn't get better in Game 3. But I do believe in a win in Game 4. I don't know when the Fever play next.

Here's the schedule for tonight and tomorrow, Indy ;)
Tonight:
Sparks
Sun

May 27th
Fever 7:00 pm
Sting

Mystics 8:00 pm
Lynx   

Monarchs 8:00 pm
Silver Stars   

Storm 10:00 pm
Mercury 

Written By: StarskyHutch76 on 05/27/04 at 4:34 pm

Go Liberty! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my appreciation of Becky :)

http://www.wnba.com/media/liberty/becky_140_040526.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 4:56 pm

Go Liberty! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my appreciation of Becky :)

http://www.wnba.com/media/liberty/becky_140_040526.jpg

Well StarskyHutch76, before she moved out there to play in New York she attended college in Fort Collins and played for the Colorado State Rams :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/27/04 at 5:14 pm

Thank you, RockandRollFan! :)

Here's the schedule for tonight and tomorrow, Indy ;)
Tonight:
Sparks
Sun

May 27th
Fever 7:00 pm
Sting

Mystics 8:00 pm
Lynx   

Monarchs 8:00 pm
Silver Stars   

Storm 10:00 pm
Mercury 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 5:58 pm

Thank you, RockandRollFan! :)

Anytime, my friend...anytime :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 6:05 pm

I want to thank StarskyHutch76 for the great picture of the multi-talented former All-American, Becky Hammon :) I would also like to post a picture of another great, as well as lovely, player...Sue Bird of the Seattle Storm ;)

http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingopinion/archives/images/bird.jpg

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/27/04 at 7:26 pm

SHE'S Stacked!!!! :o
(J/K, sorta) I'm sure she's a great shooter and scorer too. ;)

I want to thank StarskyHutch76 for the great picture of the multi-talented former All-American, Becky Hammon :) I would also like to post a picture of another great, as well as lovely, player...Sue Bird of the Seattle Storm ;)

http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingopinion/archives/images/bird.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 10:37 pm

SHE'S Stacked!!!! :o
(J/K, sorta) I'm sure she's a great shooter and scorer too. ;)

She, like Becky, is nice to look at AND a great player ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/28/04 at 10:59 pm

Former college teammates Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi square off for the first time in the professional ranks on Friday when the Seattle Storm visit the Phoenix Mercury.

Bird and Taurasi played together in college at the University of Connecticut for two seasons and the pair won a national title in 2002. For Taurasi, the heralded Phoenix rookie, it was the first of three straight national championships.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/29/04 at 4:15 pm

Sorry to bring this up, IndyGent...but the Fever lost to Charlotte last night :-\\ Also Diana Tuarasi and the Phoenix Mercury defeated Sue Bird and The Seattle Storm 84-76....each lady had 22 points...
http://www.wnba.com/media/storm/bird_200_040528.jpg

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/29/04 at 7:55 pm

That's okay, RnRF. That's been tempered by the Pacers dismantling of Detroit in their own backyard.  ;D The Fever will be up with them pretty soon.
An I would like  to post some Stephanie White and Tamika Catchings photos. Where do you find those? :-\\
Sorry to bring this up, IndyGent...but the Fever lost to Charlotte last night :-\\ Also Diana Tuarasi and the Phoenix Mercury defeated Sue Bird and The Seattle Storm 84-76....each lady had 22 points...
http://www.wnba.com/media/storm/bird_200_040528.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/29/04 at 8:38 pm

That's okay, RnRF. That's been tempered by the Pacers dismantling of Detroit in their own backyard.  ;D The Fever will be up with them pretty soon.
An I would like  to post some Stephanie White and Tamika Catchings photos. Where do you find those? :-\\

I get them from www.wnba.com AND after you're there you can go to any team and click on thier players ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/30/04 at 12:26 am

http://www.wnba.com/media/act_stephanie_white.jpg  http://www.wnba.com/media/act_tamika_catchings.jpg

Stephanie White (left), Tamika Catchings (right)

Thanks, Rock! :)

Written By: Im Batman on 05/30/04 at 12:44 am

I'm a Seattle Storm season ticket holder.  It is a great way to get my basketball fix during the summer.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/30/04 at 3:38 pm

Sacramento is down to Houston 22-15 in the 1st :-\\  and Becky Hammon and The Libertty play Minnesota later tonight :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/30/04 at 9:56 pm

1        2        F
Sacramento (1-3) 27 30 57
Houston (3-2)           33   30      63

1      2        F
New York (2-1) 33 35 68
Minnesota (2-2)  29      35      64

Becky only scored 9 points but she handed out 8 assists and the Liberty held off Minnesota.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/04 at 11:32 am

http://www.wnba.com/media/act_stephanie_white.jpg  http://www.wnba.com/media/act_tamika_catchings.jpg

Stephanie White (left), Tamika Catchings (right)

Thanks, Rock! :)
No Problem, Indy! Nice pics :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/04 at 11:33 am

I'm a Seattle Storm season ticket holder.  It is a great way to get my basketball fix during the summer.
I'm a fan of the Storm also...thanks to Sue Bird ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/04 at 11:34 am

Becky and the Liberty play against Charlotte tonight  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/04 at 10:21 pm

Becky only had 7 points and 4 assists tonight but the Liberty won again, 62-53 over Charlotte and below is a nice article on Becky from wnba.com:

June 1: Becky Hammon, New York Liberty
After racking up three consecutive wins, Becky Hammon and the New York Liberty are coming together in a productive way.

After the Liberty front office opted not to bring veteran guard Teresa Weatherspoon back to New York for her eighth season, they handed the keys to the Liberty bus over to Hammon. Now, in her first season as a bona fide starter and unquestioned leader of the team, Hammon has responded.

In four games so far, Hammon is leading the Liberty in scoring (13.0 points per game) and tied for the lead in assists with backcourt mate Vickie Johnson, both of whom are averaging nearly five assists per game.

All of this is even more impressive considering that Hammon went down with a torn ACL only 11 games into last season. Though if it were not for the brace on her right knee, you would never know there was ever anything wrong with her.

Her eight assists and eight rebounds on Sunday in a 68-64 win in Minnesota were both career-highs.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/02/04 at 2:08 pm

The Fever won yesterday, beating San Antonio 79-60. Tamika Catchings had 20 points, Natalie Williams had 17, and Kelly Miller had 14 as they broke a 2 game losing streak. They're 7-0 against the Utah Starzz/San Antonio Silvers Stars, but we'll take any win we can get. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 2:23 pm

The Fever won yesterday, beating San Antonio 79-60. Tamika Catchings had 20 points, Natalie Williams had 17, and Kelly Miller had 14 as they broke a 2 game losing streak. They're 7-0 against the Utah Starzz/San Antonio Silvers Stars, but we'll take any win we can get. ;)
Well Indy, it kinda sucks for me because we no longer have a womens pro basketball team here (As far as the WNBA goes)...and with the folding of the ABL (Our team  had Sheryl Swoops) there isn't much...although we DO have the Colorado Chill, which Becky and her former roomate/teamate at CSU, Katie Cronin playing during the WNBA off-season in the NWBL http://www.nwbl.com/chill/images/players/hammon_becky_2004.jpghttp://www.nwbl.com/chill/images/players/cronin_katie_2004.jpg
As for the WNBA, I like your Fever, Beck's Liberty and of course Sue Bird and Seattle ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/02/04 at 4:37 pm

I'm sorry that you don't have a WNBA franchise yet. But these are some good pics of two very good looking and talented players. :-* Did I hear that Becky was engaged or married or something? :-\\

Well Indy, it kinda sucks for me because we no longer have a womens pro basketball team here (As far as the WNBA goes)...and with the folding of the ABL (Our team  had Sheryl Swoops) there isn't much...although we DO have the Colorado Chill, which Becky and her former roomate/teamate at CSU, Katie Cronin playing during the WNBA off-season in the NWBL http://www.nwbl.com/chill/images/players/hammon_becky_2004.jpghttp://www.nwbl.com/chill/images/players/cronin_katie_2004.jpg
As for the WNBA, I like your Fever, Beck's Liberty and of course Sue Bird and Seattle ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 4:54 pm

I'm sorry that you don't have a WNBA franchise yet. But these are some good pics of two very good looking and talented players. :-* Did I hear that Becky was engaged or married or something? :-\\

Thanks Indy, maybe someday we'll have one...but for now I like enough teams to keep me occupied! As for Becky, I hadn't heard but rest assured if she does get married the guy had better be a kind man or I may just have to beat his @ss >:( ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/02/04 at 6:29 pm

If he isn't, Becky might do the deed herself. ;D ;)

Thanks Indy, maybe someday we'll have one...but for now I like enough teams to keep me occupied! As for Becky, I hadn't heard but rest assured if she does get married the guy had better be a kind man or I may just have to beat his @ss >:( ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 9:21 pm

If he isn't, Becky might do the deed herself. ;D ;)

She just might at that. I should've been more suave when I met her in 2000 :-\\ She is as beautiful in person AND she's a very kind lady :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/03/04 at 8:09 pm

Yesterday the Mystic beat Detroit 65-63. Right now Becky and The Liberty lead Houston 22-21 at the half.....and later tonight......

Round 2: Dee vs. Sue
After last week's loss, the Seattle Storm will be looking to exact some revenge, Ann Meyers reports, against Diana Taurasi and the Phoenix Mercury (10:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2)

http://www.wnba.com/media/bird_taurasi_175_040603.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 9:11 am

Lauren Jackson's Storm avenged last week's loss at Phoenix with a 72-45 home win on Thursday.
http://www.wnba.com/media/storm/jackson_170_040603.jpg

AND: High Five
The Liberty's starting five each scored in double figures as New York took its fifth-straight win, 71-62 Thursday over Houston. Becky Hammon and Elena Baranova led the Liberty
with 13 points apiece.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 3:47 pm

Last night The Connecticut Shock knocked of the Washington Mystics 72-63 Here are todays games:

LA Sparks at Houston    ABC    4:00 PM
Charlotte at Indiana        8:00 PM
Phoenix at Minnesota      8:00 PM
NY Liberty at San Antonio 8:00 PM
Seattle at Sacramento

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/06/04 at 2:20 pm

GAME DAY RECAP Saturday, June 05
San Antonio's rally falls short
RECAP | BOX SCORE

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The streaking New York Liberty had to work a lot harder than they wanted to beat the San Antonio Silver Spurs.

Becky Hammon scored 12 points, and the Liberty held off the Silver Stars 62-57 on Saturday night to increase their winning streak to a franchise record-tying six games

"We feel good, but we still have things to work out and we still have room for improvement," Hammon said. "It was a long road trip for us and it's good to get a win like this."

Elena Baranova added 11 points, and Shameka Christon had 11 for New York (6-1), which led by 23 points in the first half.

The Silver Stars rallied to cut it to three points on Shannon Johnson's free throw with 1:38 left. But Baranova sealed the victory by hitting two free throws with 30 seconds left.

"The game had to do with the first 20 minutes. That was the game," said San Antonio coach Dee Brown of his team's start. "We came out like we were beaten already. You can't come out that way."

Adrienne Goodson scored 15 of her 17 points in the second half for the Silver Stars, who have lost three straight after opening the season with four straight victories. Johnson added 14 points, Marie Ferdinand 11 and LaToya Thomas had 10.

"We put ourselves in a good position to win the game in the end, but we just ran out of time," Goodson said.

The Liberty opened with a 16-2 run and led 37-20 at the half.

"Obviously, when you have a 37-20 game at the half your team relaxes. They think the game is over," New York coach Richie Adubato said. "This type of game gives coaches headaches."

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/06/04 at 10:45 pm

The Fever whipped Charlotte yesterday.  ;D
How did they do again the Shock? :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/06/04 at 11:00 pm

The Fever whipped Charlotte yesterday.  ;D
How did they do again the Shock? :-\\
Well, a sweep for Detroit as they won 74-73 ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/07/04 at 9:24 am

Rats!!! >:(

Well, a sweep for Detroit as they won 74-73 ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 12:22 pm

Rats!!! >:(

That's alright for now IndyGent, the season is young. Becky's Liberty have the best record at 6-1 and out West Sue Bird's Storm are leading. Indiana is still in 2nd and will be just fine ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/04 at 2:11 pm

Wednesday, June 9

Connecticut at Phoenix  
Detroit at Indiana      
San Antonio at Houston  
Charlotte at LA Sparks

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/09/04 at 3:09 pm

Let's see what happens in Detroit tonight.
Wednesday, June 9

Connecticut at Phoenix  
Detroit at Indiana        
San Antonio at Houston  
Charlotte at LA Sparks

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/04 at 3:13 pm

Let's see what happens in Detroit tonight.

Yep...Go Indy ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/10/04 at 8:44 am

The Fever blew a 23 point lead and lost to the Shock at home 83-79, when they failed to score in the last 9:49 of the game. >:(
And I thought the Pacers were adept at blowing big leads.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/11/04 at 6:35 pm

The Fever blew a 23 point lead and lost to the Shock at home 83-79, when they failed to score in the last 9:49 of the game. >:(
And I thought the Pacers were adept at blowing big leads.
And tonight I must root for Beckys Liberty...sorry Indy, but good luck anyway :)

Detroit at Washington 
Indiana at NY Liberty 
Charlotte at Phoenix 
Connecticut at Seattle 
Minnesota at LA Sparks

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/11/04 at 10:34 pm

That's okay, Rock, I'll still root for the Fever, and you'll root for Becky. So may the best TEAM win. :D

And tonight I must root for Beckys Liberty...sorry Indy, but good luck anyway :)

Detroit at Washington   
Indiana at NY Liberty   
Charlotte at Phoenix   
Connecticut at Seattle 
Minnesota at LA Sparks

Bad news Rock. The Liberty lost to the Indiana Fever at the Garden, 72-68. Becky Hammon did 22 point and was the leading scorer in the game. But Tamika Catchings scored 17 and Kelly Miller and Deanna Jackson scored 13 apiece. Sorry, but Go Fever! :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/12/04 at 4:36 pm

That's okay, Rock, I'll still root for the Fever, and you'll root for Becky. So may the best TEAM win. :D
Bad news Rock. The Liberty lost to the Indiana Fever at the Garden, 72-68. Becky Hammon did 22 point and was the leading scorer in the game. But Tamika Catchings scored 17 and Kelly Miller and Deanna Jackson scored 13 apiece. Sorry, but Go Fever! :)
It's alright, Indy...your team moved into a tie with the Shock and Beckys team still leads the division :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/16/04 at 10:07 am

Sue Bird and Becky Hammon were mostly non factors last night as Sue's Seattle Storm rocked Becky's Liberty....
http://www.wnba.com/media/storm/jackson_200_040615.jpg
Seattles Lauren Jackson

Seattle 86, New York 62
Storm Pour It On in Second Half
Box Score  | Liberty Home  | Storm Home 

NEW YORK, June 15 (Ticker) -- Lauren Jackson and the Seattle Storm may have sent a message to the entire WNBA with their latest victory.

Lauren Jackson started strong, scoring 11 first-half points.
Ray Amati/NBAE/Getty Images 
Jackson collected 16 points and 12 rebounds as the Storm coasted to their fourth straight win with an 86-62 rout of the New York Liberty.

Seattle won for the first time in three tries at Madison Square Garden, improving the league's best record to 6-2 by beating a top contender from the East. Jackson had a double-double by halftime and the Storm never trailed after a 17-6 run to close the first half for a 37-32 halftime edge.

The Storm led by as many as 27 points in the second half and placed four players in double figures. Sheri Sam scored 15 points, Betty Lennox added 14 and Janell Burse chipped in 12 off the bench.

Liberty leading scorer Becky Hammon was held to four points on 1-of-6 shooting. New York shot 36.5 percent (19-of-52) and lost its third straight.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/18/04 at 11:19 pm

Friday, June 18

Mag issue features athletes competing in Athens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

SEATTLE -- WNBA Most Valuable Player Lauren Jackson posed nude in an Australian magazine that features Olympic athletes who will compete in Athens.

The Seattle Storm forward participated in a seven-hour photo shoot last offseason in Sydney. The publication, called Black + White, includes 35 athletes and is expected to hit international newsstands next week.

Lauren Jackson, right, appears on the cover of the Athens tribute issue of "Black + White."

Jackson, 23, appears on the cover of the Athens tribute issue, an artistic publication that also did pre-Olympic editions with Australian athletes in 1996 and 2000.

"I did it because it is such a prestigious magazine in Australia," Jackson said before Friday night's game at Houston. "I am really proud to be a part of it. I don't think it should be looked upon badly, that's for sure."

The magazine is expected to be on sale in the Seattle area Tuesday.

"We work so hard, as athletes, on making our bodies look great and to be in the best possible shape that we can be," Jackson said. "I am proud of my body at this stage and I know in 20 years it's not going to be the same. But right now I am really happy about it.

"My mom and dad loved it."

Storm spokeswoman Valerie O'Neil said team officials supported Jackson in the project, done independently of the WNBA. O'Neil emphasized the context, saying it is considered an honor in Australia to appear in the magazine.

"In the States, when we think of a project like this, it usually doesn't have the same connotation," O'Neil said.

Jackson's teammates and coach had no problems with the photos.

"I think it is very well done," Storm coach Anne Donovan said. "I think culturally in the U.S. it's something that is always going to get a lot of hype here. There will be a lot of talk about this and there will be for quite awhile."

The Storm managed a public relations flap last summer when standout guard Sue Bird backed out of a wager with a Seattle sports talk radio host. She had agreed to let the man spank her on the air if she lost the bet.

Bird quickly apologized, saying she had hoped to boost interest in the WNBA but failed to consider the specter of battered women.

Bird said she thought Jackson's photos were tastefully done.

"I saw her pictures and I think she looks great," Bird said. "She did it for good reasons and hopefully this will not turn into a negative thing. "

After the Olympics, the magazine photos will be auctioned off to benefit charities. Jackson said she doesn't consider the project demeaning to women because it includes male Australian athletes.

Jackson was voted league MVP last season after averaging 21.2 points and 9.3 rebounds, both career highs. She became the first international player and the youngest to win the award.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/19/04 at 10:25 am

HOUSTON (AP) -- Lauren Jackson scored 18 points and Betty Lennox added 13 to lead Seattle to a 69-63 win over the Houston Comets, the Storm's fifth straight victory.

Sheryl Swoopes tied her career high with 33 points for Houston and surpassed 3,000 career points.

She was 14-for-25 from the field in Friday's game, playing all 40 minutes for the Comets, who were missing injured leading scorer Tina Thompson. Houston had won three straight.

Kamila Vodichkova added 11 points for Seattle which won for the first time in Houston, ending a seven-game skid that started in 2000.

The Storm have the WNBA's best record at 7-2.

Jackson, who played just 13 minutes in the first half after getting into foul trouble, hit three 3-pointers in the opening 20 minutes and helped the Storm take a 27-23 lead at the half.

Seattle led by as many as 12 points after Adia Barnes hit a 3 with 2:28 left. But the Comets got six points from Swoops to end the half.

Swoopes has 12 points on 6-for-11 shooting in the first half.

The Comets tied the game at 41 with 13:01 left in the game, but Seattle took the lead for good as Jackson hit a 7-foot running jump shot with 12:38 remaining.

Before the game, the Comets placed Thompson on the injured list with a strained left calf. She is expected to be out for at least 10 days.

In other games last night:

Charlotte beat Connecticut 63-58 and The L.A. Sparks edged The Phoenix Mercury 76-74.....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/19/04 at 9:05 pm

Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson led the Seattle Storm to a 74-61 win over San Antonio. Early congratulations to IndyGent's Indiana Fever as it looks like they're gonna beat Becky Hammon and the Liberty.....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/20/04 at 6:08 pm

Charlotte knocked off the LA Sparks 68-63 and Connecticut defeated Washington 75-65.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/23/04 at 11:25 pm

The Shock defeated the Sting 65-60 tonight.

Written By: Max on 06/25/04 at 2:10 am

I wanna get the nude pose of lauren jacksen. Please send me at this email adress.
Thank you
Max

Written By: Max on 06/25/04 at 2:12 am

I wanna get the nude pose of lauren jacksen. Please send me at this email adress.
Thank you
Max

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/04 at 9:24 am

Thank you
Max
Hey Max, you don't have to tell me twice!  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/26/04 at 8:31 pm

New York (6-7) at Seattle (8-3) 10:00 pm EDT

SPOKANE, Washington (Ticker) -- The Seattle Storm try to start a new winning streak on Saturday when they host the struggling New York Liberty at the Spokane Arena.

Seattle had its six-game winning streak snapped with Tuesday's 63-57 loss to Houston. Lauren Jackson scored 16 points for the Storm, who were held below 60 points for the first time.

Saturday's game is the first regularly-scheduled game outside a WNBA market. The Storm prepared for the trip across the state like a regular road game, traveling to Spokane a day early.

New York has lost six straight after a sizzling 6-1 start. The Liberty opened a four-game Western Conference road trip with a 72-60 loss at Phoenix despite 20 points from Becky Hammon.

This is New York's second game this season outside a regular WNBA venue. The Liberty were forced to play Washington on the University of Maryland campus due to a Madonna concert on June 13 and lost, 62-60.

Seattle cruised to an 86-62 rout in New York on June 15. Jackson collected 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead four players in double figures.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/27/04 at 5:25 pm

SPOKANE, Wash., June 26 (Ticker) -- Becky Hammon and the New York Liberty ended their franchise-record six-game skid in a strange place.

Hammon scored 15 points and Elena Baranova added 13 as the Liberty stopped their losing with a 67-62 victory over the Seattle Storm at Spokane Arena.

Saturday's game was moved from Seattle across the state to Spokane to take advantage of a basketball-loving public. This weekend, Spokane is hostong Hoopfest - the largest 3-on-3 tournament in the country. The game drew 4,527 fans, more than 3,000 below Seattle's average in KeyArena.

New York avenged an 86-62 home loss to Seattle on June 15 by rallying from a 41-33 deficit with just over 16 minutes remaining. Hammon made a basket, assisted on one by DeTrina White as part of a 6-0 run that gave the Liberty a 61-59 lead with 3:15 left.

Vickie Johnson fed Hammon for a 3-pointer with 43 seconds left that provided a 65-60 cushion and helped seal the win - the 100th of coach Richie Adubato's WNBA career.

Kamila Vodichkova scored 15 points for Seattle, but reigning league MVP Lauren Jackson finished with a quiet 12. New York native Sue Bird missed 8-of-11 shots and scored seven points for the Storm, who have lost two straight.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/27/04 at 9:52 pm

And the Fever get blown out in Charlotte again (0-8 lifetime at Charlotte's home floor). That's all I can say. :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/28/04 at 9:23 am

And the Fever get blown out in Charlotte again (0-8 lifetime at Charlotte's home floor). That's all I can say. :(
While I am sorry that the Fever lost, I am happy to see you back in this thread, Indy Gent :) I was getting bored talking to myself! ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/28/04 at 10:32 am

Thanks, RockandRollFan. I just haven't been reading the scores recently. :-\\

While I am sorry that the Fever lost, I am happy to see you back in this thread, Indy Gent :) I was getting bored talking to myself! ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/28/04 at 12:38 pm

Thanks, RockandRollFan. I just haven't been reading the scores recently. :-\\

Your Welcome, Indy Gent.....just keep checking in ;) While our favorite teams might not always win, this league sure is fun to watch :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/02/04 at 9:31 pm

Well Beckys Liberty lost again...but Sue Bird Scored 20 to lead the Storm to a victory :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/02/04 at 10:10 pm

You would think that after beating the defending champion Detroit Shock, the Fever would use that as a springboard for the rest of their season. But nooooo...they lose to The Washington Mystics, a team no one else has trouble beating. >:( Maybe Larry Bird should coach the Fever.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/03/04 at 12:35 am

You would think that after beating the defending champion Detroit Shock, the Fever would use that as a springboard for the rest of their season. But nooooo...they lose to The Washington Mystics, a team no one else has trouble beating. >:( Maybe Larry Bird should coach the Fever.
I've always wished he would've continued coaching..sorry about the game though, Indy :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/05/04 at 1:04 am

As long as I'm still here, Rock, I'd like to congratulate the Fever on winning a tough game Saturday, beating Diana Taurasi's Phoenix Mercury at Conseco 61-60. I don't know how much Taurasi or anyone else scored, but it was a nail biter throughout. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/04 at 8:44 pm

As long as I'm still here, Rock, I'd like to congratulate the Fever on winning a tough game Saturday, beating Diana Taurasi's Phoenix Mercury at Conseco 61-60. I don't know how much Taurasi or anyone else scored, but it was a nail biter throughout. ;)
she had 14....congrats to you and the Fever, Indy Gent :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/04 at 8:46 pm

Sue Bird scored 16 and Lauren Jackson led everyone with 32 points in the Seattle Storm's win....Posing nude must've boosted her game :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/06/04 at 10:26 pm

Becky led New York with 26 and the Liberty beat the Monarchs 73-66 tonight :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/08/04 at 8:18 pm

Lauren Jackson scored 24 tonight but Charlotte beat the Storm 70-67 :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/09/04 at 9:08 am

Becky's team was destroyed by the Mystics last night but IndyGents Fever won :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/11/04 at 7:21 pm

Vickie Johnson led four players in double figures with 17 points as the Liberty defeated the visiting Mercury 77-69 today. Becky had 8.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/13/04 at 4:38 pm

Well Seattle finally snapped thier losing streak beating San Antonio 75-59. Lauren Jackson scored 25 while Sue Bird had 13. In the other game The Monarchs knocked off Detroit, 67-51.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 6:59 pm

The Storm won again today over Sacramento, 66-63...and INDY GENT....your Fever won last night :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/17/04 at 1:40 pm

And the Fever won again, Indy Gent :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/17/04 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for telling me, RockandRollFan. Got my fingers crossed that the Fever go all the way. Maybe the Pacers might win it next year. ;)

And the Fever won again, Indy Gent :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/04 at 8:26 pm

Thanks for telling me, RockandRollFan. Got my fingers crossed that the Fever go all the way. Maybe the Pacers might win it next year. ;)

Sounds good, Indy! I have to go for the Nuggets fisrt though..as for this league I like your Fever, The Storm and Becky Hammon's New York Liberty...who, btw, won today 75=58 over the Sting. Becky scored 12 points :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/19/04 at 7:24 pm

And the Shock will get knocked out of the playoffs. ;)

Sounds good, Indy! I have to go for the Nuggets fisrt though..as for this league I like your Fever, The Storm and Becky Hammon's New York Liberty...who, btw, won today 75=58 over the Sting. Becky scored 12 points :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 8:24 am

And the Shock will get knocked out of the playoffs. ;)

I sure hope so...although I do like Ruth Riley :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 8:28 am

Here's a cool article on Becky!

By Nancy Lieberman
Special to ESPN.com

Becky Hammon pulled the covers tight, rearranged her pillow and closed her eyes.

In her first season back after a torn ACL, Becky Hammon is averaging 13 points and remains one of the top 3-point threats.
But it didn't help. She was wired. Anxious.

"Like a kid on Christmas eve," Hammon recently recalled.

And for good reason. The following day, Hammon would play her first basketball game in nine months, since tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee on June 27, 2003, while playing for the New York Liberty. And like a child wondering what goodies waited under the tree the next morning, Hammon wondered if she'd like the performance her knee -- and game -- would give the next day in a NWBL game for the Colorado Chill.

The pressure was on. In a few months, the 2004 WNBA season would open, and for the first time in franchise history, New York's point guard position was open. Teresa Weatherspoon, the apple of the Big Apple's eye, had already decided to leave New York as a free agent to play for Los Angeles. The job was Hammon's if she could return to form.

"It was bittersweet," Hammon said. "'Spoon is a great friend and mentor, but here I finally was getting what every player wants."

As it would turn out, Hammon had nothing to worry about. In that first game back, on March 21 earlier this year, she netted 16 points, sinking all four 3-point attempts and going 5-for-9 from the field. Two days later, she scored 15 points on 5-for-7 accuracy.

Another few months have passed, and Hammon is as good as ever. She's averaging 13 points per game, which is her second-highest scoring average in six seasons in the WNBA and the league's 14th best average this summer. She ranks among the league's top 10 in several categories, including 3-pointers made (fifth, 37) and assists (ninth, 4.1) and steals (ninth, 1.8) per game.

New York, however, hasn't been as consistent. After opening the season with a 6-1 mark, the Liberty lost six straight. After New York ended up losing eight of nine, longtime coach Richie Adubato was fired on July 3.

New York (10-11), 4-6 in its past 10 games, now currently sits tied for fourth place, two games behind conference leader Indiana (12-9) in the tight and always-keeps-you-guessing race in the East.

While some growing pains were to be expected -- it's never easy to replace two starters (Tamika Whitmore also left for L.A.) -- injuries have further hindered the Liberty. The team has played 21 games, but Ann Wauters has appeared in only 13, while Crystal Robinson (15 games) and Tari Phillips (13) also have been limited with injuries.

The injuries and a handful of new faces -- the roster includes two rookies and three second-year players Hammon has hardly played with -- has made chemistry a bit challenging. Hammon is continuing to learn the nuances of her teammates, how best to set them up, and learning to be ready down low for her own shot, too. And don't underestimate how hard it is to transition from the contrasting styles of Weatherspoon, who hadn't averaged more than 3.4 points per game in either of the past two seasons, to Hammon, a scorer who has a tremendous amount of confidence to take the ball inside or attempt the 3.

Suffice to say, the Liberty are fine-tuning things.

But Hammon has steadily improved from day one, though the road has been tough. Despite graduating as the leading scorer in Colorado State basketball history, Hammon went undrafted when she joined the league in 1999. But Hammon's determination and feisty competitiveness quickly had fans -- including Martina Navratilova, who has donned a Hammon replica jersey (incidentally, Hammon's jersey is one of the top three selling jerseys among WNBA merchandise) at games at Madison Square Garden -- rooting for the 5-foot-5¾ underdog.

But even that grittiness wouldn't have been enough without her deep, tactical understanding of the game. Ask her peers in the WNBA, and the thing that amazes them most about Hammon is her ability to thread through the defense, either with a determined drive to the hoop or with a pass through a space no one else saw.

Hammon, who credits her father, Marty, as well as Adubato and high school coach, Ron Riherd, for always emphasizing the Xs and Os and having her working on her shooting, understands how to attack you, and forces the foe to react to her. Hammon's a great cat-and-mouse player, who stays low and sets you up with the penetration, then ices the shot when you back off her. Those skills had Hammon averaging 14.7 points and shooting a team-best 46.9 percent from 3-point range when she suffered the torn ACL last season, which still didn't keep her from earning a spot on the All-Star roster.

And though Hammon's defensive skills might have been considered a liability when she first joined the league, they have also steadily improved each season. Hammon has always been a great scorer and known how to create her own shot, but now she has learned how to contain people, and is truly a great help-side defender as well.

So can New York make the playoffs? The difference between the 6-1 start and the 0-6 skid, Hammon says, was the Liberty's rebounding. Early in the season, they were crashing the boards and ranked among the league leaders, which enabled New York to get its transition game going and take high-percentage shots. Since, New York has struggled on the glass, and as a result, the Liberty have stopped running and are forced to take more difficult shots in a half-court offense. Losing Robinson for a while hurt, too, because she remains one of the best perimeter defenders in the game.

New York has four games left, including two against Detroit, which also is 10-11, before the August break and the Aug. 5 USA vs. WNBA All-Stars Game at Radio City. Don't be surprised if Hammon's named a reserve for the WNBA roster later this week.

Nancy Lieberman, an ESPN analyst and Hall of Famer, is a regular contributor to ESPN.com's women's basketball coverage. Contact her at www.nancylieberman.com.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/04 at 1:32 pm

http://www.wnba.com/media/liberty/hammon_170_040724.jpg
Becky Hammon In Action

New York 78, Detroit 69
Liberty Put On Show in Radio City Win

NEW YORK, July 24 (Ticker) -- In the debut of basketball on Broadway, the New York Liberty had the advantage of a dress rehearsal.

The Liberty won the first WNBA game at Radio City Music Hall, riding a big second half from Elena Baranova to a 78-69 victory over the Detroit Shock.

Elena Baranova took over in the second half for the Liberty.
Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty Images 
The Liberty normally play at Madison Square Garden, which is being reconfigured for next month's Republican Convention. This was one of six games moved to Radio City, the venerable auditorium that has become an international symbol of Broadway but actually is on Sixth Avenue.

There were some obvious logistical issues. The Shock, who won at home Friday night, traveled Saturday and did not arrive until 1 p.m. They used the fifth floor as their locker room.

The Liberty practiced here Thursday, getting familiar with the facility. They used the third floor as their locker.

In front of a sellout crowd of 5,945, the teams took center stage - literally - as they played on the same floor that has hosted the Grammy Awards. There were a handful of seats on each baseline.

The game actually featured three women's teams - the Liberty, Shock and the Rockettes, the world-famous line dancers who performed at halftime.

After the Rockettes retreated to their seventh-floor locker, the stage belonged to Baranova, who scored 16 of her 21 points in the second half. She scored the last five points of a 13-2 run, capped at 64-55 by her fourth 3-pointer of the half with 3:36 to go.

Former Colorado State All-American Becky Hammon scored 17 points and Vickie Johnson added 16 for the Liberty, who have won four of their last five games.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/04 at 8:35 pm

Seattle 67, Houston 63
Storm Streak Reaches Five Straight

SEATTLE, July 24 (Ticker) -- Lauren Jackson carried the Seattle Storm for the first 39 minutes before Kamila Vodichkova came up big in the final seconds.

Vodichkova made four free throws in the last 58 seconds as the Storm extended their winning streak to five games with a 67-63 victory over the Houston Comets.

Vodichkova's two free throws with 58 seconds remaining gave the Storm the lead for good, 64-63. After Sheri Sam split a pair from the line with nine seconds left, Vodichkova made two more foul shots with under a second remaining to seal things.

Jackson made sure the Storm were in position to extend their winning streak as she scored 15 of her 26 points in the second half. She made 9-of-17 shots from the field and also grabbed nine rebounds.

Sam collected 14 points for the Storm, who won despite shooting just 41 percent (23-of-56) and committing 18 turnovers. Seattle also overcame a poor performance from Sue Bird, who scored just eight points on 3-of-13 shooting.

Sheryl Swoopes scored 23 points and Tina Thompson added 15 for Houston, which lost for the seventh time in nine games. Houston shot 48 percent (26-of-54).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/04 at 8:14 pm

The Comets beat the Fever today....sorry, Indy :( Becky and the Liberty are winning against the Sun 65-57 with a little over 5 minutes left in the game.....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/04 at 8:49 pm

Becky was perfect from 3 point range..5 for 5 and led the Liberty with 24 points as they oulasted the Sun 80-66 :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/02/04 at 10:45 pm

Lauren Jackson scored 25 and Sue Bird had 16 as the Storm crushed the Sting 87-55 :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/06/04 at 7:05 pm

As you noticed, I haven't posting on this thread since the Fever went into a really big funk and are now 3 games under .500. This is the third time in a row this has happened. I guess change in coaches didn't help any. And as hard as it is to say, I think Stephanie White should hang up her Nikes or be traded. She has done nothing to attract new WNBA fans in Indiana. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/07/04 at 5:54 pm

As you noticed, I haven't posting on this thread since the Fever went into a really big funk and are now 3 games under .500. This is the third time in a row this has happened. I guess change in coaches didn't help any. And as hard as it is to say, I think Stephanie White should hang up her Nikes or be traded. She has done nothing to attract new WNBA fans in Indiana. 
I have also been sorry to see the Fever losing of late.....hey, just do what i do with baseball....my Rockies are having yet another bad year so I look to the Cardinals to win it all....and they just got Larry Walker from us....anyway, as for this thread, I hope you hang in with me and keep it alive  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/04 at 7:08 pm

The ladies are taking a break from league play

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/14/04 at 11:36 pm

Hopefully, the Olympic break will help the Fever when they resume play. As for the Cardinals, I'm not a big fan of theirs, but they also have Jasper, Indiana native Scott Rolen on their roster. I'll root for them if the Cubs don't get the wild card. ;)

I have also been sorry to see the Fever losing of late.....hey, just do what i do with baseball....my Rockies are having yet another bad year so I look to the Cardinals to win it all....and they just got Larry Walker from us....anyway, as for this thread, I hope you hang in with me and keep it alive  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/30/04 at 9:44 pm

Hopefully, the Olympic break will help the Fever when they resume play. As for the Cardinals, I'm not a big fan of theirs, but they also have Jasper, Indiana native Scott Rolen on their roster. I'll root for them if the Cubs don't get the wild card. ;)

Cool, Indy!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/30/04 at 9:44 pm

WNBA Set to Return
With WNBA action resuming on Wednesday ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/01/04 at 5:44 pm

I'll be there!

WNBA Set to Return
With WNBA action resuming on Wednesday ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/02/04 at 4:04 pm

I'll be there!

Well Indy, you're Fever knocked of Washington last night, 75-58 :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/02/04 at 4:08 pm

It's about time!  ::)
And they are still in the thick of the playoff race even though they are 5th out of six Eastern Conference teams. Let's hope they can keep the momentum from the Olympics.

Well Indy, you're Fever knocked of Washington last night, 75-58 :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/02/04 at 6:22 pm

It's about time!  ::)
And they are still in the thick of the playoff race even though they are 5th out of six Eastern Conference teams. Let's hope they can keep the momentum from the Olympics.

Yeah...it's kinda sad when teams near .500 are still in the hunt for the playoffs.....but I guess that just means it's a pretty evenly matched league ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/03/04 at 6:49 pm

Becky's Liberty won last night :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/06/04 at 6:46 am

Olympian Diana Taurasi scored 14 of her 18 points in the second half as the Phoenix Mercury won their third straight game, a 63-55 victory over the Seattle Storm.

Seattle, who lost its third straight game without reigning MVP Lauren Jackson, who is recovering from a sprained right foot, was led by Sue Bird and Kamila Vodichkova, each with 12 points.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/08/04 at 10:30 pm

Lauren Jackson returns and it seems Seattle will snap thier 3 game skid as they lead Detroit 60-40.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/04 at 2:11 pm

Lauren Jackson and Sue Birds Storm lost again last night :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/04 at 10:33 pm

Lauren Jackson scored 20 and Sue Bird added 17 points as the Storm snapped a losing streak beating the Fever 76-70. Sorry it was at your expense, Indy Gent :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/14/04 at 8:24 am

H***, that ain't nothin'.  ::)The Fever lost their previous game to the worst team in the WNBA, the Silver Stars (San Antonio). I think we did better with Nell Fortner as coach, and I'm not a big fan of hers. I still suggest Larry Bird coach the Fever next year. Imagine Larry coaching against Sue. ;)
Lauren Jackson scored 20 and Sue Bird added 17 points as the Storm snapped a losing streak beating the Fever 76-70. Sorry it was at your expense, Indy Gent :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/14/04 at 2:33 pm

H***, that ain't nothin'.  ::)The Fever lost their previous game to the worst team in the WNBA, the Silver Stars (San Antonio). I think we did better with Nell Fortner as coach, and I'm not a big fan of hers. I still suggest Larry Bird coach the Fever next year. Imagine Larry coaching against Sue. ;)

Well...I KNOW they're not related ;) I do think it would be cool if Larry coached the Fever though.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/15/04 at 9:17 pm

Beckys Liberty Lost to the Shock last night :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/17/04 at 1:50 pm

Sorry, Indy Gent :-\\

New York 77, Indiana 71 (OT)
Hammon Keeps Liberty Playoff Hopes Alive

NEW YORK, Sept. 16 (Ticker) -- Becky Hammon and Elena Baranova helped the New York Liberty's playoff hopes and all but ended the Indiana Fever's.

Hammon scored a season-high 28 points and Baranova chipped in 23 to lead the Liberty to a 77-71 overtime triumph over the Fever.

Baranova had seven points and Hammon six in the extra period for the Liberty (16-16), who moved into a three-way tie for second place in the Eastern Conference with two games remaining.

New York, which scored the first six points in overtime and led thereafter, is one game behind first-place Connecticut (17-15) and one-half game ahead of fifth-place Detroit (16-17). The top four squads in the six-team conference make the postseason.

Natalie Williams scored 18 points to pace Indiana (15-18), which needs to win its finale at Connecticut on Sunday and get lots of help to reach the postseason.

New York tied the game, 60-60, on a layup by Bethany Donaphin with 28 seconds left in regulation. Indiana's Tamika Catchings, who had 14 points, missed a contested jumper just before the buzzer.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/17/04 at 3:47 pm

Well, I think last place is where we deserve to be.  :(
Hopefully we'll be better next year.

Sorry, Indy Gent :-\\

New York 77, Indiana 71 (OT)
Hammon Keeps Liberty Playoff Hopes Alive

NEW YORK, Sept. 16 (Ticker) -- Becky Hammon and Elena Baranova helped the New York Liberty's playoff hopes and all but ended the Indiana Fever's.

Hammon scored a season-high 28 points and Baranova chipped in 23 to lead the Liberty to a 77-71 overtime triumph over the Fever.

Baranova had seven points and Hammon six in the extra period for the Liberty (16-16), who moved into a three-way tie for second place in the Eastern Conference with two games remaining.

New York, which scored the first six points in overtime and led thereafter, is one game behind first-place Connecticut (17-15) and one-half game ahead of fifth-place Detroit (16-17). The top four squads in the six-team conference make the postseason.

Natalie Williams scored 18 points to pace Indiana (15-18), which needs to win its finale at Connecticut on Sunday and get lots of help to reach the postseason.

New York tied the game, 60-60, on a layup by Bethany Donaphin with 28 seconds left in regulation. Indiana's Tamika Catchings, who had 14 points, missed a contested jumper just before the buzzer.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/17/04 at 5:04 pm

Well, I think last place is where we deserve to be.  :(
Hopefully we'll be better next year.

I'm sure you will be. I hope you still plan on posting throughout the playoffs though....seems like you and me are about the only ones keeping this league alive on here ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/04 at 10:00 am

http://www.wnba.com/media/liberty/hammon_200_040917.jpg

New York 69, Connecticut 66
Liberty Get Playoff Ticket Punched

UNCASVILLE, Conn., Sept. 17 (Ticker) -- The New York Liberty are headed to their sixth postseason in eight WNBA campaigns.

Becky Hammon had nine points and eight assists for New York.
Terrence P. Vaccaro/NBAE/Getty Images 
Crystal Robinson poured in 22 points, including a season high-tying four 3-pointers, as the Liberty got past the Connecticut Sun 69-66 to clinch a playoff berth.

Elena Baranova and La'Keshia Frett added 10 points apiece for New York (17-16), which shot 61 percent (16-for-26) in the second half and 53 percent (28-for-53) overall. New York made 9-of-19 attempts from the arc.

Already in the playoffs, Connecticut (17-16) missed out on an opportunity to clinch the Eastern Division title.

The Sun had the ball in the final seconds with a chance to tie the game, but the Liberty forced the ball inside and Baranova blocked a shot by Taj McWilliams-Franklin as time expired.

Lindsay Whalen led the Sun with 16 points and McWilliams-Franklin chipped in with 14.

New York's win eliminated the Indiana Fever from the playoff race. The Liberty wrap up the regular season Sunday against the Washington Mystics, while the Sun face Indiana.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/04 at 8:42 pm

http://www.wnba.com/media/hammon_240_040920.jpg
Time to Celebrate: Becky Hammon and the New York Liberty wrapped up the No. 2 seed in the East and will take on the Detroit Shock beginning on Friday night (8 p.m. ET NBA TV).

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/21/04 at 11:10 am

Congratulations, Rock. :)
Now the Fever will sit and watch the playoffs again from their home.  :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 2:10 pm

Congratulations, Rock. :)
Now the Fever will sit and watch the playoffs again from their home.  :\'(
Thanks Indy, BTW...I hope you are interested in another team so we can discuss stuff throughout the playoffs! I like Becky's Liberty and Sue & Lauren's Seattle Storm :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/04 at 6:01 pm

I will cheer on Ruth Riley (from Macy, IN and ND), although I really don't like the Detroit Shock that much. :-\\

Thanks Indy, BTW...I hope you are interested in another team so we can discuss stuff throughout the playoffs! I like Becky's Liberty and Sue & Lauren's Seattle Storm :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 7:25 pm

I will cheer on Ruth Riley (from Macy, IN and ND), although I really don't like the Detroit Shock that much. :-\\

I still have ND winning the NCAA Title with her. You should really give Becky a chance though....she's the all-time scoring leader at Colorado State...and that includes the guys!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/04 at 9:46 pm

I'll give Becky a try. I definitely will root against the Los Angeles Sparks. We don't need another championship team in LA, no matter what the big mouth media says.

I still have ND winning the NCAA Title with her. You should really give Becky a chance though....she's the all-time scoring leader at Colorado State...and that includes the guys!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/25/04 at 8:36 am

I'll give Becky a try. I definitely will root against the Los Angeles Sparks. We don't need another championship team in LA, no matter what the big mouth media says.

Well...Becky Hammon and The Liberty knocked off Detroit last night, 75-62. They set a record with 9 3 pointers and Becky finished with 13 points.  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/25/04 at 3:27 pm

Congratulations to Becky and The Liberty, Rock. Good luck in Game 2.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/26/04 at 2:56 pm

Congratulations to Becky and The Liberty, Rock. Good luck in Game 2.
Thanks Indy, but Detroit beat them today :-\\ Tuesday is Game 3 from NY

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:06 am

NEW YORK, Sept. 28 (Ticker) -- In a shocker, the WNBA will have a new champion this season.

The Detroit Shock's reign as champions ended when Bethany Donaphin made a short jumper with 0.5 seconds remaining to give the New York Liberty a 66-64 victory in Game Three of their Eastern Conference semifinal series. NBA TV highlights from

Becky Hammon hit 10 treys in the semifinals against Detroit.

The Shock were surprise champions last year, dethroning two-time defending champion Los Angeles. They became the first WNBA champion to fail to repeat.

After losing the first game at home, the Shock won Game Two here and held a 14-point lead early in the second half of this one. But the Liberty stormed back behind Crystal Robinson, who scored 17 points.

Robinson's 3-pointer gave New York a 60-58 lead with 1:35 to go. But the Shock forged a 64-64 tie with 12 seconds to play on a driving layup by Deanna Nolan, who scored 16 points.

Becky Hammon dribbled right and underneath the basket, where she was bottled up and forced to pass. She found Donaphin, whose jumper ended Detroit's reign.

Hammon scored 20 points for the Liberty, who await the winner of the Washington-Connecticut series. They would have home-court advantage against Washington.

Donaphin scored six points for New York, which trailed, 41-27, with 18 minutes left on a jumper by Detroit's Cheryl Ford, who scored 13 points.

The Liberty overcame the Shock's advantage in size, which led to a 39-24 edge in rebounds. Detroit shot 29 free throws and eight 3-pointers, while New York shot 13 free throws and 29 3-pointers.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:07 am

Becky, Becky, Becky :)
http://www.wnba.com/media/liberty/hammon_200_040927.jpg

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:18 am

Go Mystics! Connecticut doesn't deserve a professional team. ::)

NEW YORK, Sept. 28 (Ticker) -- In a shocker, the WNBA will have a new champion this season.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:30 am

Go Mystics! Connecticut doesn't deserve a professional team. ::)

Did you hear about Sue Bird of Seattle? She broke her nose the other night but The Storm advanced....

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:31 am

Will they fit her in one of those plastic masks so that she can play. I hope so. It would be interesting how she looks in one of those. ;)

Did you hear about Sue Bird of Seattle? She broke her nose the other night but The Storm advanced....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:34 am

Will they fit her in one of those plastic masks so that she can play. I hope so. It would be interesting how she looks in one of those. ;)

I still think she'd be pretty....BTW Indy, who are you rooting for now that the Fever are out? I'd like to see my two favorite teams, Seattle and New York play in the finals, though I'd have a tough time rooting against either one. I would like to see Becky get a Championship though...she deserves it.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:37 am

Anyone but the LA (S)parks. I don't think the Houston Comets are in the playoffs, but if they are, I want them to lose too. Anyone else is Okay.

I still think she'd be pretty....BTW Indy, who are you rooting for now that the Fever are out? I'd like to see my two favorite teams, Seattle and New York play in the finals, though I'd have a tough time rooting against either one. I would like to see Becky get a Championship though...she deserves it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:39 am

Anyone but the LA (S)parks. I don't think the Houston Comets are in the playoffs, but if they are, I want them to lose too. Anyone else is Okay.

Just stick with me until the end of the playoffs and we can pretty much say this thread was exclusively ours :D

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:45 am

We'll see. I hope there are more on this thread next season. :)

Just stick with me until the end of the playoffs and we can pretty much say this thread was exclusively ours :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:46 am

We'll see. I hope there are more on this thread next season. :)

God help me when the ABA season begins.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:48 am

Again, congratulations on the new ABA team in Col. Springs, Rock. :)

God help me when the ABA season begins.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:58 am

Again, congratulations on the new ABA team in Col. Springs, Rock. :)

Thanks, Indy...now maybe I can aquire some more Red, White and Blue basketballs :)  http://remembertheaba.com/ABABallGraphics/SpinningABABall.GIF

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:54 pm

The Sun knocked off the Washington Mystics 76-56 to advance against the Liberty in the East Finals.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/03/04 at 6:37 pm

Connecticut 60, New York 57
Sun Sweep Way Into WNBA Finals
Sun Home  | Liberty Home  | Box Score 

UNCASVILLE, Conn., Oct. 3 (Ticker) -- The Connecticut Sun needed a late rally to advance to the WNBA finals for the first time in franchise history.

Four players scored in double figures as the Connecticut Sun overcame a five-point second-half deficit to defeat the New York Liberty, 60-57, and sweep their Eastern Conference finals series.

With Connecticut trailing 54-52, Lindsay Whalen drove the lane and converted a lefthanded layup to tie the score. Taj McWilliams-Franklin then converted one of two free throws with 49 seconds left to give the Sun a 55-54 edge.

After Elena Baranova of the Liberty rushed a 3-pointer with 27 seconds left, Katie Douglas was fouled and drained two free throws to give Connecticut a three-point advantage.

The Sun extended the lead to five before Baranova sank a 3-pointer with 1.7 seconds remaining, and Whalen sank a free throws with 0.6 seconds remaining to give Connecticut its final margin.

"I've been coaching for 30 plus years and this was one of the most emotional days of my career," Sun coach Mike Thibault said. "This is very emotional for our team. There's something about this team that finds a way to win. I feel happiest for the veterans. It means a lot to them. We were down five or six points but we found a way."

McWilliams-Franklin, who led the Sun with 18 points and nine rebounds, stepped up when Nykesha Sales went to the bench with foul trouble in the second half.

Douglas had 14 points and four assists, and Sales and Whalen scored 11 each for the Sun, who defeated New York, 61-51, Friday.

"We just had to stick together and gut it out, and we were able to do it," Whalen said. "This was definitely a gut-check game."

Vickie Johnson scored 19 points for the Liberty, who were seeking their fourth Eastern Conference championship.

"I think when you don't execute, that's what happens," Liberty coach Pat Coyle said. "Their defense was good but I thought our execution was poor at the end. ... Down the stretch that happened."

Baranova, whose first basket of the game gave New York a 54-52 lead with 3:38 left, shot 2-for-7 and finished with seven points.

Robinson, who was the only member of the Liberty to score in double figures in Game One, finished with 11 points.

The Sun will face either the Sacramento Monarchs or the Seattle Storm in the finals. Sacramento leads the Western Conference finals series, 1-0.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/03/04 at 11:14 pm

Aussie Lauren Jackson scored 23 and led the Seattle Storm to a 66-54 win over Sacramento. They force a game 3 and the winner will advance against The Sun.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/03/04 at 11:52 pm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20020529/226storm28.jpg

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/04/04 at 12:28 am

Great pic of Sue and Lauren. ;)
I hope the Storm win, but either one is OK. It'll be nice to crawn a new champion.  :) ;)
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20020529/226storm28.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/04/04 at 7:19 pm

Great pic of Sue and Lauren. ;)
I hope the Storm win, but either one is OK. It'll be nice to crawn a new champion.  :) ;)

Yep...as long as it's not LA ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/04/04 at 7:22 pm

Definitely, I'm glad Sacramento defeated the distaff part of the Fakers.  ;D

Yep...as long as it's not LA ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/04/04 at 8:13 pm

Definitely, I'm glad Sacramento defeated the distaff part of the Fakers.  ;D

Same here...Lis Leslie was beginning to irritate me with her Shaq-crap talk ::)

Written By: scarletgail on 10/05/04 at 5:37 pm

Same here...Lis Leslie was beginning to irritate me with her Shaq-crap talk ::)
well I'm from sacramento so need I say more ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 5:48 pm

well I'm from sacramento so need I say more ;)
That's cool...they're my 3rd favorite team though...behind the Liberty and Seattle :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/05/04 at 6:06 pm

The Fever are my favorite, so that would make those teams 2-4. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 6:20 pm

The Fever are my favorite, so that would make those teams 2-4. ;)
so...you're rooting for Seatle/Connecticut ???

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/05/04 at 6:23 pm

I'm not rooting for Connecticut, but you may be looking at the next WNBA dynasty. :(

so...you're rooting for Seatle/Connecticut ???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 6:27 pm

I'm not rooting for Connecticut, but you may be looking at the next WNBA dynasty. :(

Yes, but hopefully that will be The Storm :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/05/04 at 6:29 pm

Yes, and hopefully it'll be the Fever, if Larry Bird replaces puppet coach Brian Winters. ;)

Yes, but hopefully that will be The Storm :)

Written By: scarletgail on 10/06/04 at 11:53 am

well guess sacramento is out :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/06/04 at 11:58 am

well guess sacramento is out :-\\
Maybe so, but Seattle isn't that far from where you are, scarletgail ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/06/04 at 11:59 am

Yes, and hopefully it'll be the Fever, if Larry Bird replaces puppet coach Brian Winters. ;)

Should be interesting if that happens, Indy :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/07/04 at 2:09 pm

Yeah, Winters and GM Donnie Walsh are mano a mano. :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/07/04 at 6:41 pm

Yeah, Winters and GM Donnie Walsh are mano a mano. :-\\
We had Donnie Walsh here with the Nuggets organization in the early 80's...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 3:22 am

Seattle lost game 1...I sure hope that they can win the next 2 and take the title :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 11:42 am

game 2 and 3 will be played in Seattle...Go Storm!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/10/04 at 8:56 pm

Sue Bird, Lauren Jackson and the rest held off The Sun tonight 67-65 to force a final game on Tuesday night:

http://www.wnba.com/media/finals2004/bird_nose_200_041010.jpg

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/10/04 at 10:54 pm

Tuesday should be interesting. The Sun have been the better team so far in the series, but let's hope the better team doesn't win. Go Storm. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/10/04 at 10:59 pm

Tuesday should be interesting. The Sun have been the better team so far in the series, but let's hope the better team doesn't win. Go Storm. ;)
Well...the better team is...we shall see on Tuesday ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/12/04 at 10:31 pm

Seattle wins it's first Championship in 25 years! Storm 74 Sun 60!

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/12/04 at 11:05 pm

Seattle clearly was the best team tonight. And Betty Lennox was clearly the best player on the court. Props to the whole team. Congratulations Storm! :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/12/04 at 11:15 pm

Seattle clearly was the best team tonight. And Betty Lennox was clearly the best player on the court. Props to the whole team. Congratulations Storm! :)
I was 19 in 1979 and I LOVED the SuperSonics....unfortunately I chose to enter the Air Force at the end of May....when I was in Basic Training....NO TV! I missed Seattle winning the NBA Title ::) Tonight was great!

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/12/04 at 11:19 pm

I'm sorry you missed the Sonics' victory. I was a big Washington Bullets fan and was glad that "the old men" finally won the title in over Seattle in 1978. I was disappointed when the Sonics got revenge in the 1979 Finals, but I was glad for Lenny Wilkens for winning his only title. He was a class act. :)

I was 19 in 1979 and I LOVED the SuperSonics....unfortunately I chose to enter the Air Force at the end of May....when I was in Basic Training....NO TV! I missed Seattle winning the NBA Title ::) Tonight was great!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/12/04 at 11:26 pm

I'm sorry you missed the Sonics' victory. I was a big Washington Bullets fan and was glad that "the old men" finally won the title in over Seattle in 1978. I was disappointed when the Sonics got revenge in the 1979 Finals, but I was glad for Lenny Wilkens for winning his only title. He was a class act. :)

I really thought well of those Bullets...Phil Chenier, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes...but I just really took to Seattle with Jack Sikma, Gus Gerard and "Downtown" Freddie Brown...Did YOU wish that the NBA would've instituted that 3 point line earlier. Oh how I LOVED The ABA ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/13/04 at 12:35 am

I didn't know they still had the three pointer in the NBA. ;D
And yes, just think how high the scores might have been.  ;)

I really thought well of those Bullets...Phil Chenier, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes...but I just really took to Seattle with Jack Sikma, Gus Gerard and "Downtown" Freddie Brown...Did YOU wish that the NBA would've instituted that 3 point line earlier. Oh how I LOVED The ABA ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...