inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Indianapolis 500

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/30/04 at 12:42 am

My pick, Helio.

Subject: Re: The Indianapolis 500

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/30/04 at 12:47 am

My pick:

Showers and possible thunderstorms. :D

Not looking good in the weather dept.  My guess is it will be moved to Monday.

Written By: AL-B on 05/30/04 at 12:47 am

I'm pulling for Sam. BTW, Indy, have you been to the race? I've always wanted to go to the Indy 500.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/30/04 at 1:14 am

Then you would vote Mother Nature?

My pick:

Showers and possible thunderstorms. :D

Not looking good in the weather dept.  My guess is it will be moved to Monday.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/30/04 at 1:18 am

I've never been to the Race, and I'll probably won't until Indy Car is again one organization. I have been to the track on a few occasions in the 80s. :)
I'm pulling for Sam. BTW, Indy, have you been to the race? I've always wanted to go to the Indy 500.

Written By: Marian on 06/01/04 at 2:36 pm

Then you would vote Mother Nature?

??? ??? ???wELL THEY HAD ITand it was delayed 2 hours because of rain,and another 2 hours early on.Although once again exasperating to watch,ir did get exciting when the teams expected it to be shortened because of rain and gambled on whether to take a pit stop.But since over half the laps wrere completed,it did become an official race,with one substitution caused by the delay because onme of the drivers was competing in another race(he was hoping to win both of them).Cheers!

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/01/04 at 7:09 pm

That would be Robby Gordon, who also races for NASCAR and would have run both the entire Indy 500 and Coca Cola 600 if not for the severe weather. He ended up giving his car to former 500 champ Buddy Lazier.
What I don't get is that they wanted to uphold the 'tradition' of running the whole 500 festivities. That means you had to endure Jim Nabors' "Back Home Again in Indiana", Florence Henderson's "God Bless America", and Jessica Simpson's Marilyn Monroe's blowing skirt impersonation while singing our national anthem. Not to mention all the bands, speeches by Kent McCord (anyone remember him?) and other has-been TV actors, and releasing the balloons and "Lady and Gentlemen, start your engines!" We could have done without half of that. 

??? ??? ???wELL THEY HAD ITand it was delayed 2 hours because of rain,and another 2 hours early on.Although once again exasperating to watch,ir did get exciting when the teams expected it to be shortened because of rain and gambled on whether to take a pit stop.But since over half the laps wrere completed,it did become an official race,with one substitution caused by the delay because onme of the drivers was competing in another race(he was hoping to win both of them).Cheers!

Written By: Marian on 06/01/04 at 7:55 pm

That would be Robby Gordon, who also races for NASCAR and would have run both the entire Indy 500 and Coca Cola 600 if not for the severe weather. He ended up giving his car to former 500 champ Buddy Lazier.
What I don't get is that they wanted to uphold the 'tradition' of running the whole 500 festivities. That means you had to endure Jim Nabors' "Back Home Again in Indiana", Florence Henderson's "God Bless America", and Jessica Simpson's Marilyn Monroe's blowing skirt impersonation while singing our national anthem. Not to mention all the bands, speeches by Kent McCord (anyone remember him?) and other has-been TV actors, and releasing the balloons and "Lady and Gentlemen, start your engines!" We could have done without half of that. 

;D ;DI think it was actually Jacques Lazier,not Buddy;I think that's Buddy's brother.Well,you have to have the "Lady and gentlemen,start your engines".But i wonder if they take so long that the storms have a better chance of shortening the race.Cheers!

Written By: 80sRocked on 06/01/04 at 8:12 pm

You would think that after the perrenial, and just expected, weather delays year after year that they would move it to another time.

I know its tradition for Memorial Day weekend, but its also become a tradition to get rained out too!

Every year I just expect it to be either delayed or postponed all together.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/02/04 at 9:48 am

If it was, then Buddy Lazier must have already qualified. :-\\

;D ;DI think it was actually Jacques Lazier,not Buddy;I think that's Buddy's brother.Well,you have to have the "Lady and gentlemen,start your engines".But i wonder if they take so long that the storms have a better chance of shortening the race.Cheers!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 11:09 am

I have many good memories of this once great race....and some not so good ones. 1973 with the horrible weather and bad starts (Salt Walther) and of course, the death of Swede Savage....the infamous race in 1981 when Mario had victory snatched away by what I thought was BS by the Unsers..then of course the big political dispute with...IRL and ?? a few years back. Since then my interest has only been Letterman being a car owner and Buddy Lazier who is from Denver....other than that I'd rather watch the much safer yet still dangerous automobiles in NASCAR ;)

Written By: Marian on 06/02/04 at 1:41 pm

If it was, then Buddy Lazier must have already qualified. :-\\

:D :DYes,he had.Cheers!

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/02/04 at 6:39 pm

The important thing is that Buddy didn't win this time. I was pretty scared when Dan Wheldon, Tony Kanaan and Bruno Junquira took leads when the last thunderstorm came. Buddy Rice wasn't the best driver at the race (He'll even admit that.) But the best car and team (co-owned by 1986 champ Bobby Rahal and David Letterman) won Sunday. Hondas are the wave of the future in open wheel racing.

:D :DYes,he had.Cheers!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/22/04 at 12:25 am

I have many good memories of this once great race....and some not so good ones. 1973 with the horrible weather and bad starts (Salt Walther) and of course, the death of Swede Savage....the infamous race in 1981 when Mario had victory snatched away by what I thought was BS by the Unsers..then of course the big political dispute with...IRL and ?? a few years back. Since then my interest has only been Letterman being a car owner and Buddy Lazier who is from Denver....other than that I'd rather watch the much safer yet still dangerous automobiles in NASCAR ;)
Tony Stewart did "Double Duty"(INDY 500 & NASCAR Coca-Cola 600)in 1999 and 2001...also Stewart was the 1997 IRL champion before going over to what was then NASCAR Winston Cup...

Check for new replies or respond here...