inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who's The Best Horse Of All-Time...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 7:49 pm

Smarty Jones had his chance....
http://msn.espn.go.com/horse/triplecrown04/index.html

IMHO..a horse that still holds records...one of which was the 31 legnth margin of victory in the 1973 Belmont Stakes to clinch the Triple Crown....none was better than the late great Secretariat ;)

http://www.toba.org/images/secretariat.jpg

Subject: Re: Who's The Best Horse Of All-Time...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/04 at 8:31 pm

Mr. Ed
Ohhhh Willbuuurrr!
;D

Written By: saver on 06/05/04 at 8:40 pm

Mr. Ed gets my vote too,'cuz he kin talk!

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/05/04 at 8:42 pm

I'm gonna go with "A Horse With No Name" by America. :D 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 10:10 pm

Alrighty...thanks for the laughs but I was hoping this would be taken seriously :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/05/04 at 10:51 pm

I did take it seriously, Rock. And I also picked Secretariat, with Seattle Slew a distant second.

Alrighty...thanks for the laughs but I was hoping this would be taken seriously :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 06/05/04 at 10:58 pm

Secretariat. :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 11:19 pm

I did take it seriously, Rock. And I also picked Secretariat, with Seattle Slew a distant second.

Thanks for that, Indy ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 11:21 pm

Secretariat. :)
Though it's impossible that you ever saw him live...you youngin'....you DO know that he was the sh*t as far as Race Horses go :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/06/04 at 11:46 am

Without a doubt - Phar Lap
Film of the same name was released in 1983.  His body is in the Melbourne Museum and his heart – 4 times larger than any normal horse – is in the Australian National Museum.

Born in New Zealand in 1926

Bought to Australia in 1927.

Raced in Australia then America.

Died in California in 1932 - cause "unknown" and subject to many urban myths.

BIGGEST WINS: Agua Caliente Handicap; 1930 Melbourne Cup; AJC Derby; Victoria Derby; WS Cox Plate (twice)

RACE RECORD: 51 starts: 37 wins, three seconds and two thirds

Between 1929 and 1931 Phar Lap dominated Australia's racing industry, at one stage winning fourteen races straight. His string of five wins in the 1930 Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival has never been beaten. He broke time records on the AJC Derby and the VRC Derby.

Phar Lap was the only odds–on favourite in a Melbourne Cup and the only horse to be favourite in three consecutive Cups. Although he was known as a stayer—a horse that performs well in races over a long distance—he was equally successful at sprint races.

He was so dominant in the early 1930s that the VRC altered the conditions of some weight–for–age races. Additional penalties and allowances were added to such races as the Melbourne Cup. It is widely accepted that the rules were changed to curb Phar Lap's winning streak.

Dotted amongst his 37 wins are some remarkable performances. The 1931 Futurity Stakes at Caulfield is often cited as his greatest achievement. Phar Lap carried 10 stone 3 pounds, the maximum allowed for the race; the track was heavy with rain; and Phar Lap gave his opponents a 91 metre head start. Yet he won.

Pic I took of him in January below

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/06/04 at 1:23 pm

Without a doubt - Phar Lap
Film of the same name was released in 1983.  His body is in the Melbourne Museum and his heart – 4 times larger than any normal horse – is in the Australian National Museum.

Born in New Zealand in 1926

Bought to Australia in 1927.

Raced in Australia then America.

Died in California in 1932 - cause "unknown" and subject to many urban myths.

BIGGEST WINS: Agua Caliente Handicap; 1930 Melbourne Cup; AJC Derby; Victoria Derby; WS Cox Plate (twice)

RACE RECORD: 51 starts: 37 wins, three seconds and two thirds

Between 1929 and 1931 Phar Lap dominated Australia's racing industry, at one stage winning fourteen races straight. His string of five wins in the 1930 Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival has never been beaten. He broke time records on the AJC Derby and the VRC Derby.

Phar Lap was the only odds–on favourite in a Melbourne Cup and the only horse to be favourite in three consecutive Cups. Although he was known as a stayer—a horse that performs well in races over a long distance—he was equally successful at sprint races.

He was so dominant in the early 1930s that the VRC altered the conditions of some weight–for–age races. Additional penalties and allowances were added to such races as the Melbourne Cup. It is widely accepted that the rules were changed to curb Phar Lap's winning streak.

Dotted amongst his 37 wins are some remarkable performances. The 1931 Futurity Stakes at Caulfield is often cited as his greatest achievement. Phar Lap carried 10 stone 3 pounds, the maximum allowed for the race; the track was heavy with rain; and Phar Lap gave his opponents a 91 metre head start. Yet he won.

Pic I took of him in January below

Thanks for that awesome story, BrianMannixGirl...sounds like a dominating horse! Secretariat also had a larger than normal heart. It's sad that Phar Lap only lived that short of a life though :\'(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/06/04 at 7:28 pm

Was Hidalgo for real or was it just a movie ???

They said it was based on a true story. 

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/06/04 at 10:56 pm

Thanks for that awesome story, BrianMannixGirl...sounds like a dominating horse! Secretariat also had a larger than normal heart. It's sad that Phar Lap only lived that short of a life though :\'(

Yes it was a tragedy RnR.  He brought a nation together during the depression, survived a mafia shooting attempt the morning of a big race, went from a weedy starving thing to a huge powerful runner.  I dont think Australia has ever or will ever have another horse like him.
He won despite being penalised with extra weight handicaps - carried more than any horse has done since then.  Because of the shooting attempt it was always assumed that he had been poisoned by gangsters just two weeks after arriving in the US but recent coronors reports have said it was more likely to have been natural causes. (but lets not let that get in the way of a 70 year old urban myth !!!!)

The movie is available on VHS and DVD in the US - if you like a good horse movie I do recommend it.

Some links that might interest you

http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/pharlap/  they have old movie-tone footage on this site showing his racing etc.

http://www.nma.gov.au/collections/  pic of his heart.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/06/04 at 11:02 pm

Yes it was a tragedy RnR.  He brought a nation together during the depression, survived a mafia shooting attempt the morning of a big race, went from a weedy starving thing to a huge powerful runner.  I dont think Australia has ever or will ever have another horse like him.
He won despite being penalised with extra weight handicaps - carried more than any horse has done since then.  Because of the shooting attempt it was always assumed that he had been poisoned by gangsters just two weeks after arriving in the US but recent coronors reports have said it was more likely to have been natural causes. (but lets not let that get in the way of a 70 year old urban myth !!!!)

The movie is available on VHS and DVD in the US - if you like a good horse movie I do recommend it.

Some links that might interest you

http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/pharlap/  they have old movie-tone footage on this site showing his racing etc.

http://www.nma.gov.au/collections/  pic of his heart.
Thanks....what are your thoughts on Secratariat?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/04 at 7:26 am

What about Seabiscuit (1933-1947) ?  ???

By the way, he was a grandson of Man 'o War.

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/commodity/1881/seabiscuit37.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...