inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Athens Olympics 2004

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/14/04 at 3:49 am

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Very sleepy.  Stayed up till 4am watching the live Opening Ceremony.

Not sure how to review it !  I didnt get very emotional during it - but I guess I got emotional during Sydney 2000 because it was telling the history of Australia, from aboriginal bush burning to sunday lawn mowing.  Athens opening was telling the story of civilisation so it had a lot to cover !.

I enjoyed the amazing technicalities of it all - the ability to flood the stadium and then drain it in under 3 minutes.  The cleverness of the face statue covered in laser displays of mathematical diagrams, breaking apart into various statues before becoming the islands of Greece, then a hill with olive tree on top.

I enjoyed the frescos and sculptures coming to life.

I didnt find it "gripping" - I think different music may have altered my opinion on that - it was slow repetative chorally kinda drippy stuff.

I enjoyed the parade of athletes - I always love watching out for the best outfits.  I think it was Brazil I loved best - if it was them in the rainbow skirts and shirts and lime green jackets - very funky indeed - and WOW some delicious looking guys !!!!.

I laughed at the irony of the Aussie commentators struggling for something new to say about each team as they came out - finally saying - for Iraq, Afghanistan and similar - "Well they have some excellent shooters in their team" !  Why oh why was my 3am thought - "well obviously, but have they shot at a non human target lately" !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ahhhh bite me for being politically incorrect !  :)

I didnt "get" Bjork.  Not that I ever "get" Bjork or anyones attraction for her or her "music".  But mostly what I didnt "get" was the choice of an Icelandic singer at a Greek ceremony.  Was Demis not available ? or any other Greek singer from the past 50 years ?? (hmmm not Yanni !!!!!!!!!!).

Oh well - I shall wait for some gymnastics and diving as that is generally all I watch and then its on to the closing ceremony - maybe they will have found some greek singers by then !

Subject: Re: Athens Olympics 2004

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/14/04 at 4:08 am

Found'em - yep it was the yummy Brazilians in the funky green outfits !!

Written By: danootaandme on 08/14/04 at 6:52 am

I had pretty much the same feeling as you did as I watched.  Why Bjork??  The effect with the dress coming out to cover the athletes showing up as an atlas of the world was cool though.  I always wait for the fashion faux pas we Americans always seem to exhibit, and I wasn't disappointed, though I did like the hats, we never seem to have a classy outfit, that's my opinion anyway.  I"ll watch some of the stuff, and even though you are supposed to cheer for your own I always hope some of the athletes from the smaller countries are able to pull an upset and come away with a gold.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/04 at 7:06 am

Having been a high school athlete, I never really got the "sense" of the Olympics, particularly the individual sports.

I mean you have these people who spend HUGE amounts of money and dedicate their lives to the exclusion of nearly everything else to be in a competition that they may well lose.  And if they win, what do they get?  A gold medal and maybe some endorsement deals.  And if they lose, they get bupkus.  And in the end, the odds are ENORMOUS that "bupkus" will be what they get.

We have a local olympic swimmer who trains like 10 hours per day and talks about "how the sacrifice is worth it".  Worth what?

Call me crazy but I find the whole concept somewhat disturbing, selfish, and unproductive.

With college sports, at least you can get yourself a scholarship, and with pro sports (long odds to get in, but you find out right after college) you can raise a family on the money.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/14/04 at 7:48 am

I didnt "get" Bjork.  Not that I ever "get" Bjork or anyones attraction for her or her "music".  But mostly what I didnt "get" was the choice of an Icelandic singer at a Greek ceremony.  Was Demis not available ? or any other Greek singer from the past 50 years ?? (hmmm not Yanni !!!!!!!!!!).

Yep !  Same thing struck me, BMG.  Bjork, of all people!  ::)  The only thing more excruciating than her caterwauling was the insidious garment she was wearing - if you laid it out flat it would have made a nice pool cover for the stadium lake  :D

The designers of the Aussie outfits didn't get paid too much I hope  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/14/04 at 8:33 am

We have a local Olympic swimmer who trains like 10 hours per day and talks about "how the sacrifice is worth it".  Worth what?

Call me crazy but I find the whole concept somewhat disturbing, selfish, and unproductive.

With college sports, at least you can get yourself a scholarship, and with pro sports (long odds to get in, but you find out right after college) you can raise a family on the money.

I agree with you on this one.  Actually the whole thing about athletes and the training, what I see is a lot of people beating up their bodies so that they are cripples by the age of 40.  People who do this to their kids are despicable.  I don't like the argument "that is what he/she wanted to do" . Anyone with sense, and/or a child, knows the length young kids will go to please their parents, do things they think will make their parents love them.  I find the concept of the child athlete disturbing, selfish, unproductive, and worse abusive.  Have fun watching the gymnasts, but check up on the in 10 or 20 years and see how those perfectly toned muscles and limber joints are doing.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/14/04 at 10:58 am

The effect with the dress coming out to cover the athletes showing up as an atlas of the world was cool though.  I always wait for the fashion faux pas we Americans always seem to exhibit, and I wasn't disappointed, though I did like the hats,

Dont forget - that whole "cover the entire field of athletes with a big cloth and project images off it" was already done by Ric Burch during Sydneys opening ceremony !!

I liked the hats on the US team - their style meant that they could be worn several ways according to the individual - so everyone wasnt a clone.

Awfully glad to know I am not the only one out there confused by the Bjork choice !!!

As for the whole competing side of things - I have several views (naturally - I am a Libran and cant just have one opinion !). 

On the one hand - I have never seriously understood why someone needs to run, swim, jump longer, faster higher than every one else.

On the otherhand - as a child gymnast I trained for Moscow and missed out when the team was cut during the boycott.  Back then I wanted to be Nadia.  I wanted to overcome my chronic fear of the Beam and master a double backflip without hands.  I was so good on the vault, bars and floor but to excel one also had to be good on the beam.  The wretched thing terrified me !  I wanted to go to Moscow and score a TEN just like Nadia.  Unfortunately that year talent had nothing to do with it - politicians were making the decisions.

I enjoy watching the gymnasts because I know how darn hard it is and I am jealous at the facilities they have these days - the amazing tramp floors that mean their flips are so high, the excellent padding beneath the bars and beam and vault.  Gawd when I did it, it was a 2 inch piece of blue vinyl beneath everything and if its velcro separated - well it was you and the solid floor having an intimate meeting !!

In the words of Monty Python - LOOOXURY !!!!!

I enjoy the diving because the sheer thought of climbing that tower just to jump off it - with the added risk of smashing your head on the board, makes me admire the bravery of the divers !

But the rest of it doesnt excite me much.  I am a much bigger fan of the Winter Olympics - way more sports that I enjoy watching there - except that wierd ice bowling shuffleboard with a broom one !!!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/04 at 11:05 am

I agree with you on this one.  Actually the whole thing about athletes and the training, what I see is a lot of people beating up their bodies so that they are cripples by the age of 40.  People who do this to their kids are despicable.  I don't like the argument "that is what he/she wanted to do" . Anyone with sense, and/or a child, knows the length young kids will go to please their parents, do things they think will make their parents love them.  I find the concept of the child athlete disturbing, selfish, unproductive, and worse abusive.  Have fun watching the gymnasts, but check up on the in 10 or 20 years and see how those perfectly toned muscles and limber joints are doing.

I don;t have any problem with kids playing school sports.  It is a great way to lean teamwork, sportsmanship, and endurance.  I was a cross-country runner "back in the day" and I benefit to this day from it.

But the Olympics nonsense... these kids LIVE for that sport, to the exclusion of just about everything else, squandering the family treasury and their childhoods on what amounts to VANITY.

::)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/14/04 at 12:21 pm

But the Olympics nonsense... these kids LIVE for that sport, to the exclusion of just about everything else, squandering the family treasury and their childhoods on what amounts to VANITY.

::)

Hmmm I certainly didnt squander any family treasures to go to the Olympics.  The government paid for my training as part of my normal schooling (they sent a former olympian turned school teacher to our school to be our teacher as well as our gym trainer) and were going to pay airfares etc (had we actually been allowed to board the plane) - tho parents would have had to buy their own tickets if they wanted to be a cheer squad.  Most countries have trust funds for their Athletes and there is also a mega load of fundraising that goes on in between events to pay for support teams.

I dont know about in the US - but the Australian government also helps fund several Pacific Island nations and some Indonesian islands athletes.  In 2000 we paid for Timor to send their athletes as they couldnt afford it immediately after the uprising that occurred there.  We even paid for their uniforms !  And some African nations cycling team had their bikes stolen so the Aust govt paid for replacement bikes.  I would like to think thats how the Olympics retain their name of the Friendly Games.  Everyone helping to make sure every nation has the chance to take part - whether they win or lose.

And while I trained for several hours before and after school, to me it was "play time", it never felt like work and it was never to the exclusion of playing with dolls with my next door neighbor and playing in the pool and racing my brother on our bikes using no hands - etc etc - all the usual 11 yr old stuff !!

Written By: danootaandme on 08/14/04 at 12:29 pm

When I heard they were going to have Olympic Volley Ball I couldn't out why volley ball would be considered raised to the level of olympic competition.  I just turned it on and figured it all out.  Wet bodies in bikinis jumping up and down :o.  What a ratings boost that must be ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 08/14/04 at 4:07 pm

Yep ! Same thing struck me, BMG. Bjork, of all people! ::) The only thing more excruciating than her caterwauling was the insidious garment she was wearing - if you laid it out flat it would have made a nice pool cover for the stadium lake :D

I had to change the channel when she came on.  That woman drives me insane.  I guess we can at least thank our lucky stars she wasn't wearing the swan. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/04 at 4:50 pm

Hmmm I certainly didnt squander any family treasures to go to the Olympics.  The government paid for my training as part of my normal schooling (they sent a former olympian turned school teacher to our school to be our teacher as well as our gym trainer) and were going to pay airfares etc

Well here in the U.S. of A., parents spend mass quantities of money for their Olympic athlete kids.  Spending thousands of dollars to drive 100 miles both ways per day to get Junior to the "best" training facility.  Or shelling out $3000 for a figure skating dress to be worn once or twice.  Tuition to a "special school" that will teach them how to swim a bit faster.  Megabucks of travel to meets/competitions.  Or paying megadollars to get the "best" trainer that they can come up with.

There are some big corporate sponsorship deals that fund some of the stuff.  Really something for an "amateur sport", which I guess it is not any more since pro teniss players and pro basketball players are now allowed to play.  (Jim Thorpe is rolling in his grave I suspect).

I'm not sure if the US Government picks up any of this tab.  I certainly hope it does not.  Lots of better things and more urgent issues to spend tax dollars on than to train somebody how to synchronize swim.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/14/04 at 6:25 pm

Well here in the U.S. of A., parents spend mass quantities of money for their Olympic athlete kids.  Spending thousands of dollars to drive 100 miles both ways per day to get Junior to the "best" training facility.  Or shelling out $3000 for a figure skating dress to be worn once or twice.  Tuition to a "special school" that will teach them how to swim a bit faster.  Megabucks of travel to meets/competitions.  Or paying megadollars to get the "best" trainer that they can come up with.

There are some big corporate sponsorship deals that fund some of the stuff.  Really something for an "amateur sport", which I guess it is not any more since pro tennis players and pro basketball players are now allowed to play.  (Jim Thorpe is rolling in his grave I suspect).

I'm not sure if the US Government picks up any of this tab.  I certainly hope it does not.  Lots of better things and more urgent issues to spend tax dollars on than to train somebody how to synchronize swim.

What happens now is promising athletes will seek corporate sponsorship.  I'm not sure how many tax dollars are involved, but the bulk is private funds.  They allow professionals to play because the whole amateur thing was a scam to keep the rabble from competing side by side with the kindler, gentler segment of society.  It was almost impossible for great athletes to be able to go into competition simply because they couldn't afford it, now they can.  Jim Thorpe was robbed  >:(

Written By: Marian on 08/14/04 at 7:41 pm

Hmmm I certainly didnt squander any family treasures to go to the Olympics.  The government paid for my training as part of my normal schooling (they sent a former olympian turned school teacher to our school to be our teacher as well as our gym trainer) and were going to pay airfares etc (had we actually been allowed to board the plane) - tho parents would have had to buy their own tickets if they wanted to be a cheer squad.  Most countries have trust funds for their Athletes and there is also a mega load of fundraising that goes on in between events to pay for support teams.

I dont know about in the US - but the Australian government also helps fund several Pacific Island nations and some Indonesian islands athletes.  In 2000 we paid for Timor to send their athletes as they couldnt afford it immediately after the uprising that occurred there.  We even paid for their uniforms !  And some African nations cycling team had their bikes stolen so the Aust govt paid for replacement bikes.  I would like to think thats how the Olympics retain their name of the Friendly Games.  Everyone helping to make sure every nation has the chance to take part - whether they win or lose.

And while I trained for several hours before and after school, to me it was "play time", it never felt like work and it was never to the exclusion of playing with dolls with my next door neighbor and playing in the pool and racing my brother on our bikes using no hands - etc etc - all the usual 11 yr old stuff !!

:o :oI didn't know you were a gymnast1maybe i've heard f you.Anyway i was sad when the US boycotted the games;I like gymnastics too!And most other countries felt boycotting a sports event was pointless.Cheers!

Written By: Bobby on 08/14/04 at 7:46 pm

I am amazed they got everything built and ready in time.  ;D

Admittedly, I am not much of a fan of the Olympics.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/14/04 at 8:41 pm

I'm not a HUGE Olympics fan but I hope Jennie Finch and Team USA win the Gold!

http://www.usasoftball.com/Women/2002TrainingTeam/pics/finch1.jpg

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/14/04 at 11:47 pm

Michael Phelps won the first of what is believed will be many gold medals in swimming, and the US male gymnasts are in position to go for their first team gold. But the US men fell flat in synchronized diving, and an Italian won the road bike race. No women's events were shown on NBC yet.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/04 at 11:51 pm

Michael Phelps won the first of what is believed will be many gold medals in swimming, and the US male gymnasts are in position to go for their first team gold. But the US men fell flat in synchronized diving, and an Italian won the road bike race. No women's events were shown on NBC yet.

It takes alot of gonads for him to say he plans to break Mark Spitz' record for gold medal accumulation.

Would be all the better to keep mouth shut until/unless he actually does it.  :-X

Written By: mandamoo on 08/15/04 at 12:36 am

Admittedly, I am not much of a fan of the Olympics.

Me too Bobby. Come to think of it, I'm not much of a fan of sport in general ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/15/04 at 12:56 am

...  Have fun watching the gymnasts, but check up on the in 10 or 20 years and see how those perfectly toned muscles and limber joints are doing.

A while ago I saw a TV segment where they showed American Gold Medal gymnast Kerry Strug.  She's the one who was so "heroic" that she did her gymnast routine with a sprained or broken ankle, something like that.  I forget which Olympics, probably '96 or '00.

Anyway, she does not look like the typical Mary Lou Retton or Kathy Rigby gymnast any more.  She did not age well at all, and probably doubled or possibly tripled her Olympic weight.

Mary Lou and Kathy managed to stay in shape more or less.  Kerry did not.  I wonder if it is because Kerry did not get any endorsement deals, and so no reason to stay in shape? ???

Written By: nally on 08/15/04 at 12:03 pm

I watched some of the gymnastics competitions late last night.

By the way, I was a big fan of the Olympics when I was younger; nowadays I only watch it when I feel in the mood. My dad enjoys watching them; he's a big sports fan.

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/04 at 7:42 pm

Me too Bobby. Come to think of it, I'm not much of a fan of sport in general ;D

There is too much to watch and most of it is repetitive.

Though I did see the US basketball game today . . . 

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/15/04 at 8:16 pm

You're thinking of Blaine Wilson.
Yes, it was in very poor taste for NBC to show the bent finger on the Russian gymnast. Kinda reminds me somewhat of repeat showing of Theismann breaking his ankle. Glad I missed that.

How pathetic was that watching the Americans losing that big to the Puerto Ricans like that. Either the rest of the world is catching up to the US or the US is so arrogant that they've let them pass us.
Michael Phelps bid for 8 golds in one Olympics was dashed by a slow a** Ian Crocker and the US relay team settling for a bronze against South Africa and the Dutch swimmers.  Phelps still has a shot at tying Mark Spitz,s record, but he'll have to recover pretty quickly.

OMG!  I was watching the men's gymnastics last night and I almost lost my dinner.  First, they show the American Blaine (can't remember his name right now) fall flat on his back off the high bar, then they show the Russian dislocate his finger (with a close-up on it showing it bent backwards).  I was okay until they showed the close-up of the finger :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/04 at 10:15 pm

You're thinking of Blaine Wilson.

VERY nice first name....including the spelling :)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/16/04 at 5:59 am

How pathetic was that watching the Americans losing that big to the Puerto Ricans like that. Either the rest of the world is catching up to the US or the US is so arrogant that they've let them pass us.

I think most of us would vot for arrogance on that one.  The USA has fostered the superstar mentality instead of the team mentality.  You can watch a game knowing how it is going to turn out if the teams one superstar isn't playing, the other players who have gotten lazy letting the supers carry the load, just let it all go.  If the superstars play, they are out there to hog the glory, make the plays. 

Written By: Dagwood on 08/16/04 at 7:20 am

I am actually kinda glad the USA lost to Puerto Rico.  I don't think it is right that we send paid athletes to the Olympics.  They are supposed to be for amatures.  The figure skaters can't compete if they get paid to skate, why should the other athletes be professionals?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/16/04 at 8:36 am

I think most of us would vot for arrogance on that one.  The USA has fostered the superstar mentality instead of the team mentality.  You can watch a game knowing how it is going to turn out if the teams one superstar isn't playing, the other players who have gotten lazy letting the supers carry the load, just let it all go.  If the superstars play, they are out there to hog the glory, make the plays. 

I don't know why they keep calling them "The Dream Team".  The first time, back in 1992, it made sense.  That team had guys like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird.  These guys were responsible for making the NBA wildly popular and profitable.  Like having a band with Elvis, the Beatles, and the Stones all together.

The subsequent "dream teams" like today's are basically filled with OK NBA players, but none of them with the stature of the 1992 guys.  Twelve years from now, hardly anyone will remember these guys, while Jordan/Bird/Johnson will be fresh in peoples' memories.

The 1992 Dream Team could still probably give the 2004 team a run for its money even today.  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 08/16/04 at 11:11 am

I'm not a HUGE Olympics fan but I hope Jennie Finch and Team USA win the Gold!

http://www.usasoftball.com/Women/2002TrainingTeam/pics/finch1.jpg

After seeing Jennie Finch, I could be an Olympics fan.  ::)  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/16/04 at 11:45 am

After seeing Jennie Finch, I could be an Olympics fan.  ::)  ;D

Ditto.  :P

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/16/04 at 7:58 pm

If Lisa Fernandez pitches the way she did against the Aussies last weekend, we may not see Jennie for awhile. It depends on whether the coach will go with youth or experience. I hope he gives the kid a try soon. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/16/04 at 9:08 pm

If Lisa Fernandez pitches the way she did against the Aussies last weekend, we may not see Jennie for awhile. It depends on whether the coach will go with youth or experience. I hope he gives the kid a try soon. ;)
Indeed a nice win...If I could get my new VCR to come on when I set the timer I may just get to SEE some of the games :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/16/04 at 10:14 pm

Indeed a nice win...If I could get my new VCR to come on when I set the timer I may just get to SEE some of the games :D

One of these days I gotta get a VCR.  If I want to watch a show, I have to see it "live" or not see it at all.  :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/16/04 at 10:22 pm

One of these days I gotta get a VCR.  If I want to watch a show, I have to see it "live" or not see it at all.  :-\\
Get one....mine is a Sanyo and it only cost me $60 at Wal-Mart ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/17/04 at 5:02 am

Well our majestic Thorpedo just put all hopes of your Phelpsieboy breaking or tying Spitz's record on the backburner !!!

Also makes Thorpie officially our greatest ever Olympian in regards to personal medal tally.

Later tonight our time we are up against the US again in the mens relay.

Written By: jaytee on 08/17/04 at 7:48 am

Well our majestic Thorpedo just put all hopes of your Phelpsieboy breaking or tying Spitz's record on the backburner !!!

Also makes Thorpie officially our greatest ever Olympian in regards to personal medal tally.

What a fantastic race.  The Aussies are certainly doing well.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/04 at 7:51 am

Maybe Phelps can still take the gold medal in Buffoonery.

LB

;D ;D

Written By: Bobby on 08/17/04 at 10:43 am

Maybe Phelps can still take the gold medal in Buffoonery.

LB

;D ;D

Now that would be an interesting event to watch!  ;D

We all know Henman would win hands down in that though.

Written By: conker on 08/17/04 at 12:43 pm

But the rest of it doesnt excite me much.  I am a much bigger fan of the Winter Olympics - way more sports that I enjoy watching there - except that wierd ice bowling shuffleboard with a broom one !!!!

Hey don't be Dis-ing Curling it's the one sport Canada can 'consistently excel at

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/17/04 at 6:27 pm

And how about our female gymnasts? Sure they got beat by the Romanian pixies, but second place isn't so bad, especially since they made so many mental mistakes and still the judges were kind to them. And congrats to the male US gymnasts on their silver. ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/18/04 at 5:04 am

Hey don't be Dis-ing Curling it's the one sport Canada can 'consistently excel at

Ohhhhh is THAT whats its called !!!!!!!!!!  Thats been a mystery to me for several olympics now !!

Darnit - our swimmerboys lost the relay - well didnt lose - silver by 1300ths of a second aint too shabby.

Written By: Gecko on 08/18/04 at 7:06 am

Darnit - our swimmerboys lost the relay - well didnt lose - silver by 1300ths of a second aint too shabby.

I am absolutely loving the swimming.  I am not a sports fan - have never been interested in watching any sport really (except tennis) but I have to say I am hooked.  Go the Aussies!!

BTW - G'day BMG - been awhile since I've posted on these boards but I'm back.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/18/04 at 10:43 am

Well...I got to see Jennie this Morning on MSNBC....Team USA followed their 7-0 win over the Aussies with another mercy win over Canada :)

Written By: nally on 08/18/04 at 10:01 pm

Well...I got to see Jennie this Morning on MSNBC....Team USA followed their 7-0 win over the Aussies with another mercy win over Canada :)

I saw the scores on the ESPN bottom line earlier. :) Also, I did watch a little bit of the Olympic games on MSNBC while "Price Is Right" went to commercial breaks.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/18/04 at 10:40 pm

I saw the scores on the ESPN bottom line earlier. :) Also, I did watch a little bit of the Olympic games on MSNBC while "Price Is Right" went to commercial breaks.
I think Jennie and Team USA have an inside track to the Gold ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/19/04 at 5:03 am

I am absolutely loving the swimming.  I am not a sports fan - have never been interested in watching any sport really (except tennis) but I have to say I am hooked.  Go the Aussies!!

BTW - G'day BMG - been awhile since I've posted on these boards but I'm back.

Great to see you back Gecko :)    I keep missing all the stuff I actually want to watch - like the Gym - 3am is a stupid time to try watching telly !

Mostly I wake to my radio with the news of who won what and then when I get home from work I catch up via Roy and HG cos its on at 9 over here.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/19/04 at 3:22 pm

The US Womens Softball team has scored 31 runs, given up 0, had 4 no-hitters and allowed only 2 runners to reach 3rd base in thier 5 games so far :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/19/04 at 7:05 pm

Michael Phelps secured his legacy as one of the greatest swimmers in Olympic history by winning his fourth gold medal Thursday.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/22/04 at 12:33 am

Awesome Grant Hackett secured his place in the record books in the wee small hours this morning, repeating his Syd2000 gold medal win in the mens 1500 freestyle and breaking the Olympic record, despite suffering a chest infection all week.

He was visibly exhausted at the end, legs wobbling as he climbed onto the blocks for a victory salute.

Onya Grant Baby :)

Written By: mandamoo on 08/22/04 at 1:49 am

Awesome Grant Hackett secured his place in the record books in the wee small hours this morning, repeating his Syd2000 gold medal win in the mens 1500 freestyle and breaking the Olympic record, despite suffering a chest infection all week.

He was visibly exhausted at the end, legs wobbling as he climbed onto the blocks for a victory salute.

Onya Grant Baby :)

Yay to Grant ! 8)

Written By: Paul on 08/22/04 at 2:09 am

Now that would be an interesting event to watch!  ;D

We all know Henman would win hands down in that though.

Henman win something? You been at the juice, Bobby?!!

Must be a tad boring for all our American and Australian friends watching their medal tally pile up...(!)

Mind you, that bike squad of ours is doing well...just the sight of that French bloke's face when Chris Hoy pushed him into 2nd spot was priceless...!!

Pity he's a Jock, tho'...!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/04 at 9:32 am

Michael Phelps secured his legacy as one of the greatest swimmers in Olympic history by winning his fourth gold medal Thursday.

Mark Spitz is still The King.  8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 11:09 am

Mark Spitz is still The King.  8)
Yes he WILL....which takes me back to that awfully corny joke from 1972....How do they fill Olympic swimming pools?..... Mark Spitz ::)

Written By: dale smith on 08/22/04 at 11:15 am

being canadian i really don't like to watch the olympics, we rarely win anything because we don't have the money to spend on our athletes. the only olympic sport i like to watch (go ahead and make your jokes about canadians) hockey. the summer olympics don't appeal to me that much.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 11:22 am

being canadian i really don't like to watch the olympics, we rarely win anything because we don't have the money to spend on our athletes. the only olympic sport i like to watch (go ahead and make your jokes about canadians) hockey. the summer olympics don't appeal to me that much.

Hey now....before you get down on Canada's Olympic success...check out this link ;)

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-41-1344/sports/olympics_summer/

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 11:32 am

I'm rooting for Great Britian's Paula Radcliffe to take Women's Marathon...so far so good :)

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 1:07 pm

I'm rooting for Great Britian's Paula Radcliffe to take Women's Marathon...so far so good :)

Unfortunately, poor Paula couldn't finish the marathon. She stopped at 36km - what a way to go!  :(

She gave it a good go, though.

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 1:10 pm

Henman win something? You been at the juice, Bobby?!!

Must be a tad boring for all our American and Australian friends watching their medal tally pile up...(!)

Mind you, that bike squad of ours is doing well...just the sight of that French bloke's face when Chris Hoy pushed him into 2nd spot was priceless...!!

Pity he's a Jock, tho'...!!

Oh I reckon Henman could raise a racket (groan!)

Yeah we do alright at sailing, rowing and cycling. What about an Olympic conga-line full of English people queuing up. We're all good at that here.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 1:16 pm

Unfortunately, poor Paula couldn't finish the marathon. She stopped at 36km - what a way to go!  :(

She gave it a good go, though.
I am crying with her :\'(  She has a lot of heart though, and for that I am proud of her :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 1:17 pm

Deena Kastor may be able to get a medal for America......

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 1:28 pm

Deena got the Bronze for the USA ;)

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 2:07 pm

I am crying with her :\'(   She has a lot of heart though, and for that I am proud of her :)

Yeah. It just went wrong for her on the day. Well done to Deena (my sister is called 'Deana').

Written By: SuperFreak on 08/22/04 at 3:28 pm

Hey GUYS, womens beach vollyball is on :-*

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 7:11 pm

Hey GUYS, womens beach vollyball is on :-*

Oh no! I've missed it!  :(

Has anyone recorded it?  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 7:14 pm

Oh no! I've missed it!  :(

Has anyone recorded it?  ;D
I watched it a little bit...I say we ask SuperFreak if she did!

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 7:29 pm

I watched it a little bit...I say we ask SuperFreak if she did!

Oakey doke! Superfreak, did you watch the volleyball?

Oh! I think the woman on your avatar is quite sexy. The one with the orange dress not the green woman.  ;D

Written By: SuperFreak on 08/23/04 at 1:39 pm

Oakey doke! Superfreak, did you watch the volleyball?

Oh! I think the woman on your avatar is quite sexy. The one with the orange dress not the green woman.  ;D
Why, thank you Bobby. i didn't tape the womens volleyball but i did a lot of drooling!

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/04 at 8:07 pm

Why, thank you Bobby. i didn't tape the womens volleyball but i did a lot of drooling!

No probs. Gosh, you drool too? Cool.  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/24/04 at 2:01 am

Well it seems funny to say I am happy, but Australia got silver, and at least we scored a run !  The only country to do so against the US in the whole tournament !  :o

Well done  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/24/04 at 8:56 am

Well it seems funny to say I am happy, but Australia got silver, and at least we scored a run !  The only country to do so against the US in the whole tournament !  :o

Well done  :)
Thanks Luke and congrats on the Silver AND being the only team to score on us ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/25/04 at 1:22 pm

USA won Gold and Bronze in Beach Volleyball!

Written By: bj26 on 08/25/04 at 1:41 pm

Don't know if mentioned yet, but there sure aren't many people in the stands.  I heard the ticket prices were outrageous, if the fools would make tickets affordable, they'd fill the stands and make mucho dinero - a lot more than they are now with high prices and no audiences.

As for beach volleyball, lots of adjusting of those bikinis going on 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/25/04 at 4:36 pm

As for beach volleyball, lots of adjusting of those bikinis going on 8)
OH Yeah!

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040824/i/r3754674500.jpg

Written By: SuperFreak on 08/25/04 at 5:38 pm

No probs. Gosh, you drool too? Cool.  :D
When i see  beautiful girls, yes i do drool!

Written By: Powerslave on 08/25/04 at 6:00 pm

OH Yeah!

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040824/i/r3754674500.jpg

Thanks for that!

:)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/25/04 at 6:12 pm

Thanks for that!

:)
No Problem, Powerslave ;)

Written By: Bobby on 08/25/04 at 6:25 pm

When i see  beautiful girls, yes i do drool!

I like it when I have something in common with someone.  ;)  ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/26/04 at 4:39 am

I know one of our commentators was speechless when some male volleyballers won and writhed on the ground together for at least 4 minutes !!!!

Don't know if mentioned yet, but there sure aren't many people in the stands. I heard the ticket prices were outrageous, if the fools would make tickets affordable, they'd fill the stands and make mucho dinero - a lot more than they are now with high prices and no audiences.

Yep BJ I know our media has been given the crowd issue alot of coverage - mainly in the form of bragging ie "not a single solitary spare seat available at any event during entire Sydney Olympics" etc.  Athens will have a huge financial loss over this.  Major amounts of tourists have stayed away for various reasons (expense, terrorism, construction taking so long etc etc), tickets were being given away to the opening ceremony just hours before the event so there would be a full stadium for the cameras.

Local Perth lad won 2 golds in the cycling this week.  He has mentioned his KFC training diet so often in past two days that I bet $100 he has a ad campaign the week after he returns home. !

Written By: Powerslave on 08/26/04 at 4:31 pm

Those cyclists could eat just about anything and stay in shape. What a great result from them after all the drama before the team left Australia. The rowing was disappointing though, and we missed out on medals in equestrian events for the first time in a long while.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/28/04 at 12:18 am

The rowing was disappointing though,

Needless to say - I am only bragging about Perth athletes who do well - not the ones who lay down mid race and expect the remaining 8 rowers do their work for them !!!!!!

In the gag section of this mornings paper it jokes that Eic Clapton will re- release Lay Down Sally - just for her - bwhahahahahaha

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/28/04 at 12:31 am

At least the US is eligible to win one medal in basketball. The women's team goes for gold against the Aussies tomorrow. And what about the "Dream Team"? Let's just say the less said the better.  :-[ >:( :( :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/04 at 10:21 am

At least the US is eligible to win one medal in basketball. The women's team goes for gold against the Aussies tomorrow. And what about the "Dream Team"? Let's just say the less said the better.  :-Yeah but at least Larry Brown used his talent...unlike that moronic John Thompson who sat David Robinson out in '88 ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/04 at 10:22 am

With ALL the stations available, they are NOT televising the Womens Gold Medal Game!!!! I am PISSED >:(

Written By: Dagwood on 08/28/04 at 1:19 pm

At least the US is eligible to win one medal in basketball. The women's team goes for gold against the Aussies tomorrow. And what about the "Dream Team"? Let's just say the less said the better.  :-[ >:( :( :\'(

I think there are too many egos on that team, and they got in the way of winning.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/28/04 at 1:45 pm

BTW, Rock, I wouldn't classify the no-talents that lost to Argentina as Coach Brown's "talent". Those were picked haphazardly by a committee set up by NBA commissioner David Stern.

Yeah but at least Larry Brown used his talent...unlike that moronic John Thompson who sat David Robinson out in '88 ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/28/04 at 1:47 pm

I agree, Rock. No respect for women in basketball. >:(

With ALL the stations available, they are NOT televising the Womens Gold Medal Game!!!! I am ticked >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/04 at 2:49 pm

BTW, Rock, I wouldn't classify the no-talents that lost to Argentina as Coach Brown's "talent". Those were picked haphazardly by a committee set up by NBA commissioner David Stern.

I know...and Carmello really let all his fans down with his "Attitude"....I hope he grows up soon :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/04 at 2:57 pm

I think there are too many egos on that team, and they got in the way of winning.
Definately! :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/04 at 2:57 pm

I agree, Rock. No respect for women in basketball. >:(

Well at least the US beat Australia for the Gold :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/29/04 at 12:08 am

I concur, Rock. Except that the Aussies had better unis and I felt sorry for Lauren Jackson. (In fact, Brazil had better unis than the Americans.)

Well at least the US beat Australia for the Gold :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/04 at 4:09 pm

I concur, Rock. Except that the Aussies had better unis and I felt sorry for Lauren Jackson. (In fact, Brazil had better unis than the Americans.)

Lauren is awesome....I can't wait for the WNBA to start back up :)

Written By: Bobby on 08/29/04 at 4:26 pm

Oh well . . . The Olympic flame has extinguished for another four years. The pyrotechnic ending was wonderful. Roll on Beijing.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/29/04 at 5:16 pm

Oh well . . . The Olympic flame has extinguished for another four years. The pyrotechnic ending was wonderful. Roll on Beijing.

That is funny to read, Bobby.  Here we are still watching men's volleyball.  Guess that is the time difference for you.  We had the 2002 Winter Olympics here in my town so it seems odd that what we are watching is time delayed.

Written By: Bobby on 08/29/04 at 6:01 pm

That is funny to read, Bobby.  Here we are still watching men's volleyball.  Guess that is the time difference for you.  We had the 2002 Winter Olympics here in my town so it seems odd that what we are watching is time delayed.

Oh blimey! Sorry to spoil the ending for you, Dagwood. I forgot about time-zone differences.  :(

Written By: Dagwood on 08/29/04 at 8:10 pm

You didn't spoil it for me.  I wasn't paying too close of attention...I just flipped and noticed the game on.  I kinda figured the closing ceremonies would be cool...I just wish they would hurry up and show them here.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/04 at 8:27 pm

Same here, Dagny!

Written By: Dagwood on 08/29/04 at 9:29 pm

Watching the closing ceremonies now...the athletes just came into the stadium

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/04 at 10:06 pm

Watching the closing ceremonies now...the athletes just came into the stadium
It's something isn't it? Did you go to any of the Salt Lake events?

Written By: Bobby on 08/30/04 at 7:32 am

You didn't spoil it for me.  I wasn't paying too close of attention...I just flipped and noticed the game on.  I kinda figured the closing ceremonies would be cool...I just wish they would hurry up and show them here.

That's cool. The fireworks were incredible.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/30/04 at 7:51 pm

It's something isn't it? Did you go to any of the Salt Lake events?

No, tickets were too expensive.  I did go to Park City and downtown to check out the stuff going on.  I got a picture of Sarah holding the Olympic torch.  It was pretty fun.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/31/04 at 5:15 am

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OMIGOD how dull was that closing ceremony !

Same 5 singers all night - singing what sounded like the same song for 4 hours.

No Demis Russos, no Nana Mouskouri, Not even greek lad George Micheal.  Gawd if you can have Icelandic Bjork in the opening ceremony why on earth cant you get some star power in the closing one !  Yes I am sure they are famous in their own country but there are Greek singers known worldwide - and they seemed to have forgotten to include them.

Athletes stood there in the centre for over 2 hours wondering when the party was actually starting.

I still think Atlanta's closing ceremony was one of the best in decades - it was a true party and celebration.  Sydney came a close second for music but loses points for including a parade of "famous" Aussies - most of whom havent lived here since before they got famous !!

The pyros were good - love any fireworks anytime anyplace :)

This cracked me up tho - trust an aussie to be caught mooning !!!

AUSSIE water polo player Craig Miller was dragged from the closing ceremony of the Athens Games after pulling his pants down while celebrating centre stage with fellow athletes.

Miller, 32, was grabbed by security staff and rushed from the stadium. "He pulled down his trousers," a Greek official said after bundling Miller away.

The veteran water polo player looked stunned and a little shaken as he was taken away for questioning, his belt hanging loose and his trousers askew.

It was the only sour note during a ceremony in which an exuberant Australian team celebrated the close of their most successful overseas Olympic Games.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/31/04 at 5:32 am

oooh and if the girls want to know who the dead sexy guy in white who shimmied his way down from the heavens onto the stage and shook like Hugh Jackman for just one song - was - here he is

http://www.sakisrouvas.com/v01/home.asp

Now if he had done about 10 songs - it would have been a party baby !!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/31/04 at 10:35 pm

I agree with you on all counts, BMG. The fireworks and the Chinese part were the only interesting parts of that "party". I wish I knew who the two lady singers that wore the silver pants and the short dress were. NBC didn't even bother to include their names, while they couldn't stop talking about the male singers. >:(

No Demis Russos, no Nana Mouskouri, Not even greek lad George Micheal.  Gawd if you can have Icelandic Bjork in the opening ceremony why on earth cant you get some star power in the closing one !  Yes I am sure they are famous in their own country but there are Greek singers known worldwide - and they seemed to have forgotten to include them.

Athletes stood there in the centre for over 2 hours wondering when the party was actually starting.

I still think Atlanta's closing ceremony was one of the best in decades - it was a true party and celebration.  Sydney came a close second for music but loses points for including a parade of "famous" Aussies - most of whom havent lived here since before they got famous !!

AUSSIE water polo player Craig Miller was dragged from the closing ceremony of the Athens Games after pulling his pants down while celebrating centre stage with fellow athletes.

Miller, 32, was grabbed by security staff and rushed from the stadium. "He pulled down his trousers," a Greek official said after bundling Miller away.

The veteran water polo player looked stunned and a little shaken as he was taken away for questioning, his belt hanging loose and his trousers askew.

It was the only sour note during a ceremony in which an exuberant Australian team celebrated the close of their most successful overseas Olympic Games.

Written By: Marian on 09/01/04 at 9:05 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DI missed the mooning part!

;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...