inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Now I've Seen Everything On The WWE

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/21/04 at 11:05 am

I saw the beginning of WWE Raw on Spike TV last night (I won't make that mistake again.) Apparently, Vince McMahon has transferred the powers of GM Eric Bishoff over to the WWE fans, who have ordered a rematch between Bishoff and his nephew (forgot his name) in something McMahon calls Taboo Tuesday. Keeping in mind that Bishoff has a bad foot and his nephew has a broken arm, you wouldn't pay me enough money to see 2 reta handicapped morons in the same match. The Apocalypse is near. :-\\

Subject: Re: Now I've Seen Everything On The WWE

Written By: Satish on 09/21/04 at 8:14 pm

I used to like pro wrestling when I was younger, but I haven't watched it in years. I didn't that they let the fans decide what happens now, though. Is it done over the internet, with people e-mailing in letters or voting in polls to decide on the plot lines? That's kinda neat, it's like an interactive thing now!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/04 at 10:30 am

Not really. This is probably one of McMahon's schemes to rip-off fans to pay money for his fake fights. The audience at the venues actually vote for what they want to watch, just like the Romans did long ago at the Colisium. I hope they will eventualy do interactive polling for the fans though.

I used to like pro wrestling when I was younger, but I haven't watched it in years. I didn't that they let the fans decide what happens now, though. Is it done over the internet, with people e-mailing in letters or voting in polls to decide on the plot lines? That's kinda neat, it's like an interactive thing now!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 1:44 pm

I used to watch it back in the 80's...but in the 90's it got SO violent, dirty and stupid. I have nothing against people that like it as long as they relaize it is NOT a sport ::)

Written By: Bobby on 09/22/04 at 5:30 pm

I saw the beginning of WWE Raw on Spike TV last night (I won't make that mistake again.) Apparently, Vince McMahon has transferred the powers of GM Eric Bishoff over to the WWE fans, who have ordered a rematch between Bishoff and his nephew (forgot his name) in something McMahon calls Taboo Tuesday. Keeping in mind that Bishoff has a bad foot and his nephew has a broken arm, you wouldn't pay me enough money to see 2 reta handicapped morons in the same match. The Apocalypse is near. :-\\

Fan requests? LOL. Oh dear. I haven't bothered to see Raw/Smackdown in quite some time.

In response to RockandRollFan, most of the true fans acknowledge wrestling as 'fake'. That's why the people that frequent the wrestling thread in the 90s section criticize the state of wrestling today. If it is not 'fake', there would be no way to make it agreeable to the fans - that's why we feel Vince should make no excuses for his dwindling P-P-V buy-rates.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/04 at 9:24 pm

I think Taboo Tuesday is gonna flop.no one is gonna watch interactive matches these days. ::)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 09/25/04 at 3:30 pm

I think Taboo Tuesday is gonna flop.no one is gonna watch interactive matches these days. ::)

I think 'interactive' matches are a stupid idea because they promise the viewer more than what it actually is (a bit like the 'spin the wheel, make the deal' matches in WCW).

Written By: dale smith on 09/25/04 at 5:00 pm

I like wrestling, but i wouldn't consider myself a big fan, but when people call wrestling fake it kinda bothers me.  I mean how do you fake getting smashed in the face with a chair 14 or 15 times.  Sure it may be choreographed (not sure if i spelled that right) and predetermined but i wouldn't call it fake!  Now i know there is gonna be some arguement but i stand by my comments and i do agree some of the moves that get miscued or improperly executed and they act like it hurt anyway may be acted but it isn't all fake.  anyone with any arguements take a look at some of mick foley's matches and tell me that he "faked" putting his teeth through his lip, or that he "faked" losing his ear in a match!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/26/04 at 2:28 am

Then what do you call choreographed, pre-determined face smashing 'entertainment'? I certainly don't call it wrestling. But let's face it: nobody's gonna spend money on men just grabbing each other like collegiate wrestling? If there's skill involved, it's not professional. ::)

I like wrestling, but i wouldn't consider myself a big fan, but when people call wrestling fake it kinda bothers me.  I mean how do you fake getting smashed in the face with a chair 14 or 15 times.  Sure it may be choreographed (not sure if i spelled that right) and predetermined but i wouldn't call it fake!  Now i know there is gonna be some arguement but i stand by my comments and i do agree some of the moves that get miscued or improperly executed and they act like it hurt anyway may be acted but it isn't all fake.  anyone with any arguements take a look at some of mick foley's matches and tell me that he "faked" putting his teeth through his lip, or that he "faked" losing his ear in a match!

Written By: Bobby on 09/26/04 at 6:22 am

Then what do you call choreographed, pre-determined face smashing 'entertainment'? I certainly don't call it wrestling. But let's face it: nobody's gonna spend money on men just grabbing each other like collegiate wrestling? If there's skill involved, it's not professional. ::)

Dale admitted wrestling was choreographed, Indy. I do not believe that Pro Wrestling has no skill though. It must take a certain amount of skill to convince the viewer of what s/he is watching. It must also take a lot of skill not to kill most of these guys with the moves they do. I have said this before but I liken Pro Wrestling to an action film. People don't really get shot but the effect is good and it leads the viewer to believe it. Pro Wrestling isn't based on reality, it is based on escapism. If you like watching it, enjoy it for what it is.

Written By: Kryllith on 09/28/04 at 8:33 am

Bah, says I. If it's fan interaction, then I want fans to have total control over who fights whom. None of this Triple H can have one of these 4 (or 3) people as his opponent, but you get to choose. I say put Triple H in a Triple Threat elimination match against Hurricane and Tajiri and let the cruiserweights doubleteam and eliminate Trips then pass the belt between themselves for a bit. Ok, not going to happen, obviously. But if it has to be Triple H against Michaels, Benoit or whatever, make it a TLC match. Afterall, whens the last time Triple H had to climb a ladder to get a belt. :P

Kryllith 

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/28/04 at 9:02 am

If all this is true, Bobby, then that is probably why they changed their name from the WWF. I really isn't a "sport" like freestyle or Greco-Roman wrestling. And nobody would want to pay tickets to see "regular" wrestling.

Dale admitted wrestling was choreographed, Indy. I do not believe that Pro Wrestling has no skill though. It must take a certain amount of skill to convince the viewer of what s/he is watching. It must also take a lot of skill not to kill most of these guys with the moves they do. I have said this before but I liken Pro Wrestling to an action film. People don't really get shot but the effect is good and it leads the viewer to believe it. Pro Wrestling isn't based on reality, it is based on escapism. If you like watching it, enjoy it for what it is.

Written By: bj26 on 09/28/04 at 9:17 am

Wrestling is pure entertainment, well planned situations, scripts, soaps, etc.  It is also an extremely dangerous sport with many of the wrestlers getting injured, some seriously in the name of entertainment.  I am a fan of the marshall art of wrestling, I have always liked the takedowns, defensive moves, holds, different styles.  I do not like the blood and violence, yes it's a fighting type sport but there is too much violence anymore and less emphasis on wrestling technique. 

Written By: Howard on 09/29/04 at 8:19 pm

fans might not get exactly what they had requested on Taboo Tuesday. >:(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 03/04/10 at 10:38 pm

You know wrestling is going downhill when Cheech And Chong guest hosts Monday Night Raw,for drug references they used Lucky Charms because Chong is diabetic and Cheech is allergic so they used Lucky Charms as a high on sugar type of drug and everytime they ate it the screen went swirly.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/30/12 at 7:04 am

So a few weeks ago they made A.J. The General Manager of Raw, I was hoping for someone like Mick Foley or Roddy Piper or maybe even Eric Bischoff. Can't they find a permanent one already?  ::)

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 2:12 pm

Attitude era was the best. My top 12 wrestlers:

1. Kurrgan (with Insane Clown Posse)
2. Lash Leroux
3. Matt Hardy
4. Big Show
5. Bam Bam Bigelow
6. Test
7. Chris Jericho
8. Shawn Michaels
9. The Rock
10. Undertaker
11. Goldberg
12. Ryan May

Check for new replies or respond here...