inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Baseball Back In D.C.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 9:08 am

The MLB will announce today that Washington, D.C. will be given the Montreal Expos. It's about time, but I'll miss the Montreal Expos.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7731424

Subject: Re: Baseball Back In D.C.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 9:14 am

The MLB will announce today that Washington, D.C. will be given the Montreal Expos. It's about time, but I'll miss the Montreal Expos.

I will also miss them. I'll never forget the damn '94 strike. They actually lead the braves and seemed headed for the division title :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:11 am

The Expos did win a divisional title during the strike-shortened 1980 season (i think) when the season was divided into two parts and the Expos won the pre-strike title. That was the only other time that they were in the hunt for any title.

Let's hope that they don't become the Washington Senators. It's time to retire that nickname and keep it in Ottawa and the NHL.

I will also miss them. I'll never forget the darn '94 strike. They actually lead the braves and seemed headed for the division title :-\\

Written By: Kenlos on 09/29/04 at 10:36 am

The Expos did win a divisional title during the strike-shortened 1980 season (i think) when the season was divided into two parts and the Expos won the pre-strike title. That was the only other time that they were in the hunt for any title.

Let's hope that they don't become the Washington Senators. It's time to retire that nickname and keep it in Ottawa and the NHL.

I don't think they will because one of the major league teams (though I forget which one) owns the rights to the name Senators.  I personally think they should leave them called the Expos.  I think it would fit, but I don't think they will do that.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:39 am

According to morning sources, they probably won't keep the Expos name because "it really doesn't fit Washiington, DC." My choice would be Washington Crooks.  ;D(J/K)

I don't think they will because one of the major league teams (though I forget which one) owns the rights to the name Senators.  I personally think they should leave them called the Expos.  I think it would fit, but I don't think they will do that.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:41 am

NHL...what's THAT ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:42 am

Or what was it? ;D

NHL...what's THAT ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:43 am

Or what was it? ;D

;D

Written By: Kenlos on 09/29/04 at 10:43 am

According to morning sources, they probably won't keep the Expos name because "it really doesn't fit Washiington, DC." My choice would be Washington Crooks.  ;D(J/K)

Even if the name Expos doesn't fit the city itself what difference does that make now-a-days.  You look all around professional sports and you could come up with a list of teams that their mascots don't fit the city.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:48 am

Like the Utah Jazz?!! Most of those this did fit their original city, but like the Expos, they moved to places who's nickname didn't fit. Being Washington, I believe Dubya will make some bill that would give the team a well-fit, positive name. ::)

Even if the name Expos doesn't fit the city itself what difference does that make now-a-days.  You look all around professional sports and you could come up with a list of teams that their mascots don't fit the city.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:51 am

Like the Utah Jazz?!! Most of those this did fit their original city, but like the Expos, they moved to places who's nickname didn't fit. Being Washington, I believe Dubya will make some bill that would give the team a well-fit, positive name. ::)

Utah has the dubious distinction of embarrassing themselves TWICE...first the Los Angeles Stars from the original ABA moved there....Utah kept that name....and then of course the JAZZ who came from New Orleans ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:52 am

Maybe they were thinking Osmonds when they kept the name. ::)

Utah has the dubious distinction of embarrassing themselves TWICE...first the Los Angeles Stars from the original ABA moved there....Utah kept that name....and then of course the JAZZ who came from New Orleans ::)

Written By: Kenlos on 09/29/04 at 11:11 am

Not just Utah Jazz or Stars but teams like Jacksonville Jaguars, where are you going to find a Jaquar in those parts.  That and you have teams that just have generic names that could fit in a lot of places like Giants, Dodgers, Jets, Athletics, or Nets.  And how does the name Lakers fit Los Angeles, I might fit and I just don't know how, but to me it seems like a name that would fit a team in Minnesota or Florida better.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 11:30 am

The Lakers were based in Minneapolis in the 50s before moving to Los Angeles, where the only lakes in that area are named Ricki and Veronica.
And how does the name Lakers fit Los Angeles, I might fit and I just don't know how, but to me it seems like a name that would fit a team in Minnesota or Florida better.

Written By: Jared on 09/29/04 at 11:54 am

Kenlos, the Lakers are originally from Minnesota, IIRC, and I believe Jacksonville just wanted alliteration.  Let me try to think of some others, tho:

Tennessee Oilers- I know they became the Titans, and thank God that they did
Toronto Argonauts (Canadian Football League)- Last I checked, there wasn't a huge Greek population in Toronto
Boston Bruins- I live in Massachussetts, and have never seen a bear outside of the zoo.
Buffalo Bills- Buffalo Bill wasn't even from Buffalo...and wasn't much of a hero either...he drank, cursed excessively (even for his time), and hated Native Americans.  Not someone I'd name my team after.
New Orleans Saints- I've heard about your nightlife, New Orleans.  You're far from saints.

Team names that need to be changed for other reasons:

Chicago Fire (Major League Soccer)- It may fit, but it's tasteless
Edmonton Eskimos (CFL), Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks, Florida State Seminoles- I am not Native American myself, but have a great respect for these people who have been shafted for so much of history, even to this day.  These seven teams disgust me for continuing to use these names and logos as late as 2004.
University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors- IIRC, a "Rainbow Warrior" is a somewhat-disparaging term for a gay rights activist.
Boston Celtics- I am a proud Irishman, but when 11 out of the 12 players on your team are black, this name is just irritating and hypocritical, and slightly offensive.  Yes, I know there are black people in Ireland, but they're clearly not Celtic.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 1:04 pm

Indianapolis Colts

Most of the horse population here are quarter-horses. No colts that I know about race on our tracks.

Carolina Bobcats-I know they're indigenous to the area, but it just had to be a name with Robert Johnson's name on it.  >:(

BTW, this is still the Baseball in D.C. thread. ;)

Written By: Kenlos on 09/29/04 at 2:42 pm

Carolina Bobcats-I know they're indigenous to the area, but it just had to be a name with Robert Johnson's name on it.  >:(

BTW, this is still the Baseball in D.C. thread. ;)

I agree they could have done a lot better than the name Bobcats.  I think New Orleans should have changed their name and let Charlotte have the Hornets name back.

I heard they are having a TV conference at 5pm(eastern) on ESPN about the Expos move to DC.

Written By: nally on 09/29/04 at 2:48 pm

It was 1981. That's the year that the Dodgers went on to defeat the Yankees in the World Series, 4 games to 2.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 3:35 pm

Thanks Nally. I knew it was somewhere in that vicinity. :)

It was 1981. That's the year that the Dodgers went on to defeat the Yankees in the World Series, 4 games to 2.

Written By: nally on 09/29/04 at 4:07 pm

Thanks Nally. I knew it was somewhere in that vicinity. :)

Well I was only a year old in 1981, so I don't remember it, but my dad does since he likes sports.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 5:28 pm

Bud Selig just made it official:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-expos-washington&prov=ap&type=lgns

Just a couple of excerpts:

Eager fans arrived early for the announcement in Washington. A petition was being circulated to name the team the ``Washington Grays'' in tribute to the Homestead Grays, a Negro League team that played in Washington in the 1930s and 1940s.

That would be a good idea, since most of the D.C. residents are African-American.

The original Senators played in Washington from 1901-60 before moving to Minnesota to become the Twins. The expansion Senators called Washington home from 1961-71 before moving to Texas and becoming the Rangers.

So if they become the Senators again, would that make them the "carpetbagging Senators"? ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:48 pm

Well I was only a year old in 1981, so I don't remember it, but my dad does since he likes sports.
I was 21 and even then I loved the Yankees losing :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/30/04 at 3:51 am

Jared said:a "Rainbow Warrior" is a somewhat-disparaging term for a gay rights activist.

Well then,NASCAR's Jeff Gordon is a gay rights activist-NOT!(His nickname was The Rainbow Warrior)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 6:58 pm

Actually, some male athletes from the University of Hawaii might take offense to that, Miss Tony.  ;D ;)
Jared said:a "Rainbow Warrior" is a somewhat-disparaging term for a gay rights activist.

Well then,NASCAR's Jeff Gordon is a gay rights activist-NOT!(His nickname was The Rainbow Warrior)

Check for new replies or respond here...