inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Greatest Running Backs AND WHY!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 11:29 am

1. Walter Payton 1 Ring...Hall Of Fame
2. Barry Sanders Had to play behind a horrible offensive line..switch him and Smith and Emmitt lasts 10 years TOPS....while Barry runs wild!
3. Eric Dickerson-0 rings but topped 2,000 yards
4. Terrell Davis-2 rings, Topped 2,000 yards, Super Bowl MVP (32)...career cut short (Knees)...I think if Sayers made the Hall Of Fame so should Davis.
5. Jim Brown-1,863 yards in a TWELVE game season!
==============================================================
Emitt Smith is probably one of if not the MOST overrated of all-time!

Subject: Re: Greatest Running Backs AND WHY!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 11:37 am

Barry Sanders lost points with me with his early retirement. Then Emmitt would have never owned that overrated record anyway. But I picked Dickerson because of his years in Indy, not to mention his glory years with the L.A. Rams. Franco because of his greating running and his Immaculate Reception. Sayers because he was the best pure runner, and also a great humanitarian. I agreed with RnRf on Payton, Brown and Dickerson.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 11:56 am

Barry Sanders lost points with me with his early retirement. Then Emmitt would have never owned that overrated record anyway. But I picked Dickerson because of his years in Indy, not to mention his glory years with the L.A. Rams. Franco because of his greating running and his Immaculate Reception. Sayers because he was the best pure runner, and also a great humanitarian. I agreed with RnRf on Payton, Brown and Dickerson.
Nice choices, Indy....but remember, Brown retired early as well ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 12:50 pm

Good point, but I still think that Barry would have broken Brown's record even if Brown didn't retire and go into action. If you include the mileage he ran in "The Dirty Dozen"... :-\\

Nice choices, Indy....but remember, Brown retired early as well ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 12:56 pm

Good point, but I still think that Barry would have broken Brown's record even if Brown didn't retire and go into action. If you include the mileage he ran in "The Dirty Dozen"... :-\\

I'm curious...though you didn't vote for Terrell Davis....do you think he's worthy of the Hall Of Fame? I say yes because of his 2,000 yards & MVP in the Super Bowl

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 1:02 pm

Maybe if the Hall committee can get over his brief career like they did Sayers. But one of the Top 5? Sorry. :-

I'm curious...though you didn't vote for Terrell Davis....do you think he's worthy of the Hall Of Fame? I say yes because of his 2,000 yards & MVP in the Super Bowl

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/04 at 2:24 pm

Barry Sanders lost points with me with his early retirement.

You can't blame any of these guys for retiring early.  They play too long and the end up like in pain
like Little Willy Joe Namath.  They replace any joint that moves

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 3:38 pm

Barry had only one injury his entire career. Maybe I can't blame him for retiring. But I can blame the Lions organization and their loath of building a good line around him. :-\\

You can't blame any of these guys for retiring early.  They play too long and the end up like in pain
like Little Willy Joe Namath.  They replace any joint that moves

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 9:21 pm

Barry had only one injury his entire career. Maybe I can't blame him for retiring. But I can blame the Lions organization and their loath of building a good line around him. :-\\

Yep...throw Emmitt to the Lions and he's eaten alive....gretest running back ever my @ss :P

Written By: Dennis Huskins on 10/01/04 at 12:32 pm

#1 by far is Jim Brown- look at the record books and match it up with yardage compared to games played, Brown was the perfect combination of Power and Speed. Time cannot cover up his accomplishments and simply watch those old films and he's amazing. He ran around, over and through any opponent lineman, linebacker or d- back. It usually took several defenders to bring him down IF they could catch him. Jim retired at the peak of his physical career and he NEVER tip-toed out of bounds (listening Franco Harris?)He would stop! and take a lick from a defender at full speed before he'd deliberatly step out of bounds. He was the man!
#2 Walter Payton- Quick footed and tough, he played bigger than he was and his heart seemed to be in every carry he had and except for the year the Bears went all the way he ran behind so-so blocking and still broke rushing records. He gave you 100pct all the time and you'd think he was down but those legs kept churning for more yardage. His spirit was amazing when compared to todays toe turf sidelined backs who seem to be playing for thier bank accounts instead from the heart.
#3 Barry Sanders The moves of eye-boggling lightning that made him very dangerous and hard to hem up in a box all while running behind a terrible blocking line.
I agree that Emmitt Smith is the most OVER-rated runner ever. He slashes once through the line then falls forward.
Csonka, Campbell and Riggins were the best of the bruisers I give kudos to Leroy Kelly, Gale Sayers (what could have been there?)
Simpson -unfortunatley) William Andrews, and for some reason I felt Calvin Hill could have been greater along with Hershel Walker.
By the way I was a linebacker and before you ask- one word is only needed #1- BUTKUS 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/01/04 at 9:55 pm

#1 by far is Jim Brown- look at the record books and match it up with yardage compared to games played, Brown was the perfect combination of Power and Speed. Time cannot cover up his accomplishments and simply watch those old films and he's amazing. He ran around, over and through any opponent lineman, linebacker or d- back. It usually took several defenders to bring him down IF they could catch him. Jim retired at the peak of his physical career and he NEVER tip-toed out of bounds (listening Franco Harris?)He would stop! and take a lick from a defender at full speed before he'd deliberatly step out of bounds. He was the man!
#2 Walter Payton- Quick footed and tough, he played bigger than he was and his heart seemed to be in every carry he had and except for the year the Bears went all the way he ran behind so-so blocking and still broke rushing records. He gave you 100pct all the time and you'd think he was down but those legs kept churning for more yardage. His spirit was amazing when compared to todays toe turf sidelined backs who seem to be playing for thier bank accounts instead from the heart.
#3 Barry Sanders The moves of eye-boggling lightning that made him very dangerous and hard to hem up in a box all while running behind a terrible blocking line.
I agree that Emmitt Smith is the most OVER-rated runner ever. He slashes once through the line then falls forward.
Csonka, Campbell and Riggins were the best of the bruisers I give kudos to Leroy Kelly, Gale Sayers (what could have been there?)
Simpson -unfortunatley) William Andrews, and for some reason I felt Calvin Hill could have been greater along with Hershel Walker.
By the way I was a linebacker and before you ask- one word is only needed #1- BUTKUS 
I like what you said....what are your thoughts about Terrell Davis ???

Written By: Dennis Huskins on 10/12/04 at 10:34 am

Reply to your Q- Terrell Davis was a tough runner whose greatness was much too short. He played behind a great team and Elway was a distraction for opposing defenses so they couldn't key as much on Terrell thus freeing him up more. I liked him a lot and hey! he was from my homestate of Georgia! Like Terrell, there were many great backs that seemed to peak within a few years of play. To me greatness comes from every play, every year, all career long no matter what kind of blocking or team you are with- you excel above the rest. For example, If you are fortunate enough to play behind a great line- running is easier thus you look like a great player and yardage records get within your reach. But a player of Jim Brown's caliber can make a so so team contenders simply because he's on the team. Playing hard every down is the key. Payton did this also. Sanders' elusive talent was evident and he played for Detroit!!! Today too many get credit for being great just because they are average runners behind great blocking. Also, many could have been better IF they'd played harder like Brown and Payton. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/12/04 at 9:24 pm

Reply to your Q- Terrell Davis was a tough runner whose greatness was much too short. He played behind a great team and Elway was a distraction for opposing defenses so they couldn't key as much on Terrell thus freeing him up more. I liked him a lot and hey! he was from my homestate of Georgia! Like Terrell, there were many great backs that seemed to peak within a few years of play. To me greatness comes from every play, every year, all career long no matter what kind of blocking or team you are with- you excel above the rest. For example, If you are fortunate enough to play behind a great line- running is easier thus you look like a great player and yardage records get within your reach. But a player of Jim Brown's caliber can make a so so team contenders simply because he's on the team. Playing hard every down is the key. Payton did this also. Sanders' elusive talent was evident and he played for Detroit!!! Today too many get credit for being great just because they are average runners behind great blocking. Also, many could have been better IF they'd played harder like Brown and Payton. 
Terrell had a great line but like you said...To me greatness comes from every play, every year, all career long no matter what kind of blocking or team you are with- you excel above the rest....he did excel above the rest...he rushed for over 2,000 yards...and his career was much to  short. Maybe I should do a poll on whether HE deserves an Induction into the Hall...Sayers is there, after all :-\\

Written By: DENNIS HUSKINS on 10/15/04 at 10:14 am

The "hall" is getting wider and based on a lot of recent inductees Terrell will probably be considered also. Not a bad thing but the line between good players and greatness is getting blurred. Sounds as if you are partial to anyone who plays for Denver. I understand your team loyalty- Mike Vick for example with our Falcons instills pride for me personally. Looking back gives us a 20/20 vision lots of the time and when some of todays so called superstars Tip Toe out of bounds and sit on the sidelines with a "turf toe" makes us long for the Terrell's and others who played real football.          Dennis

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/15/04 at 1:08 pm

The "hall" is getting wider and based on a lot of recent inductees Terrell will probably be considered also. Not a bad thing but the line between good players and greatness is getting blurred. Sounds as if you are partial to anyone who plays for Denver. I understand your team loyalty- Mike Vick for example with our Falcons instills pride for me personally. Looking back gives us a 20/20 vision lots of the time and when some of todays so called superstars Tip Toe out of bounds and sit on the sidelines with a "turf toe" makes us long for the Terrell's and others who played real football.          Dennis
That all makes sense, Dennis. Yeah, I do tend to lean towards Denver players...but hey, we ALL know what Elway did! As for Davis... I was merely pointing out that compared to Gale Sayers, who made it, TD also deserves induction :)

Check for new replies or respond here...