inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Greatest Quarterbacks and WHY!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 11:54 am

Okay....keep in mind...I am using the "What if they'd switched teams" theory...like I did with Smith and Sanders.

1. John Elway-2 rings, Super Bowl MVP (33), Hall Of Fame, most victories, most 4th quarter comebacks, carried on his back some very lackluster Bronco teams to 3 Super Bowls before finally being rewarded with some support! Had he switched with Montana he still wins those forty-niner rings...while Montana maybe gets Denver to 1 or 2 Super Bowls.....Joe wouldn't have lasted long enough for the arrival of Davis.

2. Joe Montana-3 rings, Hall Of Fame...switch him with Elway and he's better than average but nothing like the guy he was in San Fran.

3. Terry Bradshaw-4 rings, 2 MVP's? Hall Of Fame

4. Dan Marino-0 rings, Hall Of Fame...great passer and probably the best QB that never won it all.

5. Steve Young-1 ring...Hall Of Fame most likely next year...ranks 5 because though he won a Title his team was talented enough to win at least 1 more.
==============================================================
Ready to be bashed about the head and body for my choice of John Elway :D

Subject: Re: Greatest Quarterbacks and WHY!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 12:59 pm

Agreed with you on Elway, Montana and (reluctantly) Marino. But my other choices were Kelly, because he preservered under mediocre coaching and cold weather, Fouts, because of his yardage despite a bad defense and suspect line., and Unitas, because of his endurance and his accuracy.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 9:15 pm

Agreed with you on Elway, Montana and (reluctantly) Marino. But my other choices were Kelly, because he preservered under mediocre coaching and cold weather, Fouts, because of his yardage despite a bad defense and suspect line., and Unitas, because of his endurance and his accuracy.
Very nice, Indy :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 6:56 pm

Thanks again, Mark. ;)

Very nice, Indy :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/30/04 at 9:06 pm

Thanks again, Mark. ;)

No Problem, Jonathan :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/01/04 at 1:29 pm

Terry Bradshaw, Steve McNair, and Michael Vick.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/04 at 2:50 pm

Dan Marino is my all time favorite FB player!  Marino had it all but the ring, and you just got to feel for the guy.

It's the only reason I rank Steve Montana above Marino.

Little story heartwarming story for you guys on Montana.  Rudy (of the "Rudy" movie) always struggled through football and wanted so bad to be a great player, after a while he knew that it would never happen and he felt like quitting. He felt like he had no purpose in football and wanted to quit. His heart ended up beating his head out, and he stuck it out. Joe Montana was struggling with football as well but saw how Rudy wasn't quitting, and It was Rudy that kept one of the greatest of all time in the game.

Love hearing that story, and I love telling it.

Written By: Satish on 10/01/04 at 5:22 pm

Bashed about the head and body, indeed....

Gee, the guy from Colorado picks John Elway. I'm sure that choice was arrived at objectively. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it a little bit suspicious. How many of you out there can spell "homer"? No offence, but I think you're being quite partisan here, RnRFan. And they accuse Dan Rather of being biased..... ::)

The Broncos won their two Superbowls on the strength of their running game. Elway wasn't a major factor. He was very good, but to me, he wasn't up there with the all time great passers like Marino and Montana.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/01/04 at 5:30 pm

I agreed with Rock on Elway and Shannon Sharpe. I had a slight problem with Terrell Davis, although he was good enough for the Hall of Fame. I picked Johnny U. over Peyton. Does that make me a turncoat?
BTW, Saitish, who did YOU vote for? ;)

Gee, the guy from Colorado picks John Elway. I'm sure that choice was arrived at objectively. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it a little bit suspicious. How many of you out there can spell "homer"? No offence, but I think you're being quite partisan here, RnRFan. And they accuse Dan Rather of being biased..... ::)

The Broncos won their two Superbowls on the strength of their running game. Elway wasn't a major factor. He was very good, but to me, he wasn't up there with the all time great passers like Marino and Montana.

Written By: Satish on 10/01/04 at 8:46 pm

Well, since you ask, my picks are:

1) Dan Marino
2) Joe Montana
3) Fran Tarkenton

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/01/04 at 9:49 pm

That's just EVIL, bro :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/01/04 at 10:10 pm

Oh...and MOST wins AND 4th Quarter comebacks..along with his stats in Super Bowl 33....over 330 yards passing AND the MVP....33 was NOT won with the running game....it was won by his passing ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/01/04 at 10:24 pm

I agreed with Rock on Elway and Shannon Sharpe. I had a slight problem with Terrell Davis, although he was good enough for the Hall of Fame. I picked Johnny U. over Peyton. Does that make me a turncoat?

HE voted for 2 of three that never won a Super Bowl....AND bad-mouthed John Elway...WTF did Elway ever NOT do? King of the comebacks....carried the less than average Broncos to 3 Super Bowls....accuses John of doing nothing in the 2 Super Bowls Denver WON....but fails to mention that....okay John had a very sub-par 32 as T.D. won the MVP....but fails to credit Elway with all those passing yards in 33....Satish....won for confusing me.  BUT...although I AM from Colorado...Elway DOES deserve credit and he IS in the Hall....What do YOU think of the jibberish, Indy?

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/01/04 at 10:33 pm

I can understand the first two, Satish, but not Fran. Albeit he is better than a lot of overrated passers like Bart Starr or Norm Van Brocklin (who's one game record may never be broken). He's hardly any different from Elway or Roger Staubach.

Well, since you ask, my picks are:

1) Dan Marino
2) Joe Montana
3) Fran Tarkenton

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/01/04 at 10:51 pm

I can understand the first two, Satish, but not Fran. Albeit he is better than a lot of overrated passers like Bart Starr or Norm Van Brocklin (who's one game record may never be broken). He's hardly any different from Elway or Roger Staubach.

Thanks Indy! Seems like Dante Hall's comments about Elway be overrated spread North ::)

Written By: scarletgail on 10/02/04 at 9:35 am

Thanks Indy! Seems like Dante Hall's comments about Elway be overrated spread North ::)
;)HUH!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/03/04 at 6:26 pm

;)HUH!
:-*

Written By: B. J. Burt on 10/11/04 at 2:42 am

I'm going to go with Norm VanBrocklin but only cause he is my grandpa

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/11/04 at 9:04 am

I'm going to go with Norm VanBrocklin but only cause he is my grandpa
Cool!

Written By: Don Roberts on 10/24/04 at 2:35 am

Okay....keep in mind...I am using the "What if they'd switched teams" theory...like I did with Smith and Sanders.

1. John Elway-2 rings, Super Bowl MVP (33), Hall Of Fame, most victories, most 4th quarter comebacks, carried on his back some very lackluster Bronco teams to 3 Super Bowls before finally being rewarded with some support! Had he switched with Montana he still wins those forty-niner rings...while Montana maybe gets Denver to 1 or 2 Super Bowls.....Joe wouldn't have lasted long enough for the arrival of Davis.

2. Joe Montana-3 rings, Hall Of Fame...switch him with Elway and he's better than average but nothing like the guy he was in San Fran.

3. Terry Bradshaw-4 rings, 2 MVP's? Hall Of Fame

4. Dan Marino-0 rings, Hall Of Fame...great passer and probably the best QB that never won it all.

5. Steve Young-1 ring...Hall Of Fame most likely next year...ranks 5 because though he won a Title his team was talented enough to win at least 1 more.

Written By: Don Roberts on 10/24/04 at 2:46 am

Have to disagree with your choices.  All of your best are modern era and shows you know nothing.  Here are the 5 Greatest in order:  Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana.  The only thing Graham did was win 10 titles in 10 years.  Sure, he had Jimmy Brown, probably the greatest player of all time, but Unitas had Berry, Marino had the Marks, Bradshaw had Harris, Swann and Stallworth, and Montana had Rice and Craig.  The best had very good people around him which helped make them the best.  When you consider other aspects of the game such as the defenses of the teams which gave the offense good field position, players calling their own plays, the officiating and the coaches each played for, there is no doubt that Otto Graham was the best to ever play the position.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/04 at 8:31 am

Well, as a native of Pittsburgh, I can;t help but brag that Namath, Marino, Unitas, and Montana are fellow Western PA natives.  But my vote gote to Terry Bradshaw.  Why?

Kelly is also a Western PA native, but I can not brag about that.  See analysis below...

-Namath was pretty good, but still more show than go.  And way too fragile.  But still, hats off to him.  Had the 'nads to call that Bowl Win as a "sure thing", and backed it up with a win.  8)

-Kelly is the NFL's all-time choke artist.  If you make it to the Super Bowl 5 times and lose each one  ::) , you should be put in jail for wasted potential.  He and the rest of those Bills teams were a disgrace to the AFC.

-Marino... No ring, no consideration.  This is the NFL.  We reward winners.  :P

-Montana.  Always struck me as a bit light in the cleats.  Gotta give him credit though, he's got almost as many rings as Bradshaw.  :-X

-Unitas.  Played in a completely different era than the rest of these guys and it is really hard to do a direct comparison.  That said, I'd award him a close second place in this competititon.  ???

...Bottom line, Terry Bradshaw delivered the goods, and he has those FOUR Super Bowl rings  8) to show for it.  And yes he had some great teams to play with.  He was the leader, too, and that counts for lots of the success.

My sincere guess is that if you got Kelly, Marino, and Montana, all of whom grew up in Pittsburgh at the same time that I did, in awe of the Pittsburgh Football Dynasty of the 1970's, they also would vote for Terry.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/26/04 at 9:09 pm

Well, as a native of Pittsburgh, I can;t help but brag that Namath, Marino, Unitas, and Montana are fellow Western PA natives.  But my vote gote to Terry Bradshaw.  Why?

Kelly is also a Western PA native, but I can not brag about that.  See analysis below...

-Namath was pretty good, but still more show than go.  And way too fragile.  But still, hats off to him.  Had the 'nads to call that Bowl Win as a "sure thing", and backed it up with a win.  8)

-Kelly is the NFL's all-time choke artist.  If you make it to the Super Bowl 5 times and lose each one  ::) , you should be put in jail for wasted potential.  He and the rest of those Bills teams were a disgrace to the AFC.

-Marino... No ring, no consideration.  This is the NFL.  We reward winners.  :P

-Montana.  Always struck me as a bit light in the cleats.  Gotta give him credit though, he's got almost as many rings as Bradshaw.  :-X

-Unitas.  Played in a completely different era than the rest of these guys and it is really hard to do a direct comparison.  That said, I'd award him a close second place in this competititon.  ???

...Bottom line, Terry Bradshaw delivered the goods, and he has those FOUR Super Bowl rings  8) to show for it.  And yes he had some great teams to play with.  He was the leader, too, and that counts for lots of the success.

My sincere guess is that if you got Kelly, Marino, and Montana, all of whom grew up in Pittsburgh at the same time that I did, in awe of the Pittsburgh Football Dynasty of the 1970's, they also would vote for Terry.
Kellylost ALL respect from me when he backed up OJ by saying the poor guy was innocent ??? Though Elway lost three times and yet carried those teams on his back....then won 2 in a row and is the all-time best in wins and comebacks....what about JOHN!!?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/04 at 8:33 am

Kellylost ALL respect from me when he backed up OJ by saying the poor guy was innocent ??? Though Elway lost three times and yet carried those teams on his back....then won 2 in a row and is the all-time best in wins and comebacks....what about JOHN!!?

Elway was a great QB, and also a good personality.  Since he sports two rings, beats out Marino and Kelly in this competition.

I don't hold those 3 losses against him.  Heck, he made the Bowl five times and won twice.  Pretty good showing for a good athlete.  Beats losing the Bowl 5 times, which is simply a "choke artist".

...by the way, on the subject of all-time greats:  Ditka and Dorsett were both from my home town, Aliquippa PA.  Ditka never forgot his hometown.  Dorsett ran out on it as fast as he could.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/27/04 at 9:03 am

Elway was a great QB, and also a good personality.  Since he sports two rings, beats out Marino and Kelly in this competition.

I don't hold those 3 losses against him.  Heck, he made the Bowl five times and won twice.  Pretty good showing for a good athlete.  Beats losing the Bowl 5 times, which is simply a "choke artist".

...by the way, on the subject of all-time greats:  Ditka and Dorsett were both from my home town, Aliquippa PA.  Ditka never forgot his hometown.  Dorsett ran out on it as fast as he could.
Yeah, I never thought much of Dorsett ::) As for Elway, coach Mart Shotheiemer (Probably spelled wrong) said recently that if he had to choose a QB for one game he's choose Montana but if he needed a QB for one play he'd pick Elway :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/04 at 10:42 am

Yeah, I never thought much of Dorsett ::) As for Elway, coach Mart Shotheiemer (Probably spelled wrong) said recently that if he had to choose a QB for one game he's choose Montana but if he needed a QB for one play he'd pick Elway :)

When we were all gowing up, he was simply Tony Dorsett.  Then when he became a big ball player, he suddenly was Tony DorSETT.  Thus he was derisively referred to as "Frenchy" in my hometown.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/27/04 at 12:52 pm

When we were all gowing up, he was simply Tony Dorsett.  Then when he became a big ball player, he suddenly was Tony DorSETT.  Thus he was derisively referred to as "Frenchy" in my hometown.  ;D
;D...hey, don't forget Gloria EsTEFan...who was previously know as Gloria EStefan ::)

Written By: AL-B on 10/30/04 at 12:49 pm

Hey, why isn't Ryan Leaf's name up there???

Written By: Frank Rizzo on 10/30/04 at 1:17 pm

Brett Favre followed by Lynn Dickey, Don Majakowski, Randy Wright and Bart Starr...in that order ::)

Written By: Jack Nicoles on 11/16/04 at 11:31 am

First of all, I have been a football fanfro as long as I could move, a Dallas fan no more, But my boy Troy Aikmen is and was the greatest quaterback ever. I still love that dude, He just kept getting concussions, I know how he feels, I personally have had a lot of broken bones playin quaterback too 8) Thank for the Invite.

Written By: supershammy on 11/30/04 at 1:55 am

I say Ryan Leaf is the greatest quarterback of all time and I just saw a pig fly out of the window as well.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/01/04 at 10:45 am

I say Ryan Leaf is the greatest quarterback of all time and I just saw a pig fly out of the window as well.
;D

Written By: shiprunner12 on 01/25/05 at 7:42 pm

I of course had to choose John Elway as number one. He had two Superbowl wins in a row in Super Bowl XXXII and XXXIII. He was the 1987 NFL MVP. He went to the probowl 4 different times. He was one out of two quaterbacks to throw for over 50,000 yards in his career. He is also a Hall of Famer. What else do I need to say.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/25/05 at 10:22 pm

I of course had to choose John Elway as number one. He had two Superbowl wins in a row in Super Bowl XXXII and XXXIII. He was the 1987 NFL MVP. He went to the probowl 4 different times. He was one out of two quaterbacks to throw for over 50,000 yards in his career. He is also a Hall of Famer. What else do I need to say.
....that he basically carried those 3 losing Super Bowl teams into the big game....he was the best, easily :)

Written By: jiminy on 02/04/05 at 6:26 pm

Bert Jones because he was a colt and my all time favorite, Jim Harbaugh when he was a colt, Peyton Manning he still is a colt, Johnny Unitas because he was the best colt's QB, My dislike list is John Elway he should of been a colt or a yankee but seriously as much as I hate to praise a non colt's player, Steve Young has to be the best, the guy had a stronger more accurate arm then Montana and when pass protection broke down he could scramble as good as any whoever played the game.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/30/07 at 7:43 pm

I'm surprised I missed this...oh well.

I chose Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Steve Young, Terry Bradshaw and Dan Marino.  Montana for his 4 rings and awesome play in destroying the competition in the Super Bowls and elsewhere, Tom Brady for being a composed leader (there's more to QBing than stats), Young because he embodied the full athlete at the position rather than just being a step-back pocket passer, Bradshaw because of the Steelers dynasty, and Marino because of his insane-o records despite never winning the big one.

Now someone move this to Sports before you-know-who has an aneurysm.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 9:24 pm

Marino
Elway
Montana
Namath
Brady
Manning (maybe, depends what he does on Sunday and then after that)
Favre

Check for new replies or respond here...