inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bonds deserves a "C" for historic 73

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/05/04 at 11:57 am

Baseball put an * next to Roger Maris' single-season home run record.

He was pronounced guilty of not hitting his 61st home in the first 154 games.

What symbol should be placed next to Barry Bonds' monumental mark of 73 home runs? How about a capital "C" for "The Cream," "The Clear," "The Cheat"?

If the Puritans could make adulteresses wear the letter "A," why can't the Moral Majority legislate that professional athletes caught using steroids have to wear the letters "RF" on their foreheads for "'Roid Freak."'

Baseball's playoffs, the Super Bowl, the Olympics: Three of the major sports events in the nation and the world have been tainted by steroids, BALCO, Conte and "The Clear/The Cream."

Truthfully, most sports fans don't care. They continue to watch games and idolize pro athletes.

Honestly, most sports owners don't want to do anything. Baseball's attendance was at an all-time high last season. Owners aren't eager to lose their stars to steroid chargers, and the baseball players association, the strongest union in the land, always will fight the commissioner's (supposed) intention to crack down on steroid abuse.

Frankly, the sports media would like the steroid issue to go away.

And, candidly, despite the president's condemnation of steroids in sports during his State of the Union address, George W. Bush once signed Jose Canseco, a rumored RF, when he was part-owner of the Texas Rangers.

Conte ratting out Romanowski wasn't big news. But Conte's allegations about Olympic gold medalist Marion Jones was large news, and the disclosures in the past week of the federal grand jury testimonies by Bonds and Jason Giambi were giant news.

Giambi admitted taking steroids.

Bonds acknowledged he used a cream and a clear substance given to him by his trainer, Greg Anderson, but asserted that he didn't know they contained steroids. Flaxseed oil, he said, for fatigue, and rubbing lotion for arthritis.

There is only circumstantial evidence regarding Bonds, but connect the dots.

Bonds was provided with a cream and a clear substance by Anderson. Conte gave Anderson a cream and a clear substance containing steroids. When Gary Sheffield stayed with Bonds in the offseason, Anderson's cream was recommended to him by Bonds. Sheffield since has said he unknowingly was given a steroid-based cream. It is alleged that in a secret tape-recording Anderson said he had given steroids to Bonds. Anderson has denied that the tape is legitimate.

Giambi testified that, during a major-league barnstorming tour of Japan, he met Anderson through Bonds and asked the personal trainer to do for him what Anderson had done for Bonds. Anderson later supplied Giambi with "The Cream" and "The Clear" and steroids that Giambi injected, sometimes in the presence of other players. Bonds has gained 60 pounds of muscle mass in recent years. And Bonds is a smart man.

Bonds' attorney said that Bonds didn't take steroids, but if he did, baseball had no ban on steroids in 2001. (Think about that entire statement.)

In an ESPN.com poll, 84.7 percent of the 128,703 respondents believed Bonds took steroids. The other 15.3 percent apparently couldn't connect a plug to an electrical outlet.

But all 100 percent would go to watch Bonds hit a home run.

Yankees' loyalists are trying to get rid of Giambi, and the club reportedly will seek to void the $80 million left on his $120 million contract. Not because of the steroids. Giambi hit .208 last season and was no help after being diagnosed with a benign tumor.

What will happen to the athletes?

Marion Jones won't have to give back the five medals she was awarded at the 2000 Olympics. She didn't test positive then. Romanowski already is out of football.

And Bonds and Giambi were granted immunity for testifying.

There will be no letters of reprimand.

Or scarlet letters on their foreheads.

Or even an *.

Subject: Re: Bonds deserves a "C" for historic 73

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 12:19 pm

I am a baseball player, I longer care about winning fairly, or training hard, I only care about cash, huge contract deals, and making ads! I also take steroids and not care about what happens to me! What a sad lessons for kids and fans to hear!  >:(  :\'(

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/05/04 at 2:40 pm

hmmm make that 99.9% would go to see Bonds hit.. i wouldnt go see the cardinals play the giants because of my hatred of Barry Bonds. He has partially ruined the one non-tainted sport. I can still go see a Baseball game for $5 (when i am in the states  ;))

Sure there has been controversy but the game i love has never really been tainted by such a high profile name as Barry Bonds. He has smashed records here there and everywhere, but would anybody care to take a look at his figures. THe guy was always a good hitter, then he had a record breaking season, in that off season, at the age of 32 or whatever he was, he put on around 25-30 Lbs of muslce, and grew a freakin inch, now if he wasn't on some sort of super steroid, i wanna see his personal trainer, cus at that age, even if your a pro athlete, that dont happen.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/05/04 at 2:59 pm

hmmm make that 99.9% would go to see Bonds hit.. i wouldnt go see the cardinals play the giants because of my hatred of Barry Bonds. He has partially ruined the one non-tainted sport. I can still go see a Baseball game for $5 (when i am in the states  ;))

Sure there has been controversy but the game i love has never really been tainted by such a high profile name as Barry Bonds. He has smashed records here there and everywhere, but would anybody care to take a look at his figures. THe guy was always a good hitter, then he had a record breaking season, in that off season, at the age of 32 or whatever he was, he put on around 25-30 Lbs of muslce, and grew a freakin inch, now if he wasn't on some sort of super steroid, i wanna see his personal trainer, cus at that age, even if your a pro athlete, that dont happen.
I've always backed Mark McGuire BUT truth  be told....I think Roger Maris is the real single season king.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/05/04 at 3:01 pm

Hmmmm... to me Big Mac is.. well.. the Big Mac!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/05/04 at 3:05 pm

Hmmmm... to me Big Mac is.. well.. the Big Mac!
Yeah, I like him as well but I've come across some angry people who defend Bonds by saying how Mark used drugs as well. Hmm...one guy cheating makes it alright for Bonds?? Plus I don't think Mark used steriods :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/05/04 at 3:18 pm

Nah, he didn't. He used painkillers, because of his knee problem... however how they were gonna help him i don't know.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/05/04 at 3:30 pm

Nah, he didn't. He used painkillers, because of his knee problem... however how they were gonna help him i don't know.
They helped him hit 72 home runs and they'll soon help him pass Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron to become the best baseball player ever!  ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/05/04 at 3:32 pm

Well now that is debateable... does being a big hitter make you the best?

Don't worry man, Albert will take care of him in a few years.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/05/04 at 3:53 pm

Well now that is debateable... does being a big hitter make you the best?

Don't worry man, Albert will take care of him in a few years.
I hope so...but in the meantime I am gonna puke hearing Bonds put up on a pedastal. Come to think of it...http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/prank/sickface.gif

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/05/04 at 3:59 pm

Meh...maybe somebody can knobble him

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/06/04 at 12:06 am

On Sportscenter they are about to ask Hank Aaron what HE thinks...bet he's gonna kiss Bonds' butt and say he's innocent ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/06/04 at 4:20 am

Hmm... It really annoys me that Hank Aaron continues to praise him

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/06/04 at 12:43 pm

Well at least he seemed annoyed by the whole thing...finally!

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/06/04 at 2:24 pm

Yeah True... haven't had much coverage of it here.. but when we did i explained to everybody in that specific Currys (the equivilant of Best Buy except crappy) exactly who they all were and why Bonds was a jerk. Needless to say apart from the guy that asked me why i was gettin excited i don't think anybody cared ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/06/04 at 7:11 pm

Yeah True... haven't had much coverage of it here.. but when we did i explained to everybody in that specific Currys (the equivilant of Best Buy except crappy) exactly who they all were and why Bonds was a jerk. Needless to say apart from the guy that asked me why i was gettin excited i don't think anybody cared ::)
There hasn't been much about it here either...until he slipped up and said what he said about no knowledge of the substance being steriods....sure, Barry and YOU must be getting advice from Johnny Cocks***** ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/07/04 at 7:49 am

LOL.. i don't think he was blessed with brains

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/07/04 at 12:42 pm

LOL.. i don't think he was blessed with brains
Maybe not, but he was blessed with God given talent that he figured wasn't enough >:( Oh and for all the McGuire bashers out there....Creatine is NOT a steriod ::) I DO however, find it needless

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/07/04 at 1:21 pm

Check this out. 

Hank Aaron is just as much an "a"-hole as Barry Bonds.  He may be more concerned with NOT being the Home Run King anymore.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/07/04 at 2:02 pm

No him taking steroids is much worse than what Pete Rose did.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/11/04 at 5:48 pm

Check this out. 

Hank Aaron is just as much an "a"-hole as Barry Bonds.  He may be more concerned with NOT being the Home Run King anymore.
I think Babe Ruth was, is and always will be the home run king. Aaron had SO MANY MORE at bats and games.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/11/04 at 5:56 pm

Being a limey and not educated in Baseball by anybody.. i was shocked to discover just how many games Hank Aaron played in.. freakin loads

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/11/04 at 6:05 pm

Barry's World is crumbling around him as another sports figure goes down  in flames...

http://www.healthtalk.ca/collins_drug_violation_11122004_2772.php

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/11/04 at 6:10 pm

Good.. as a fellow sport enthusiast im sure it sickens you that these people can take performance enhancing drugs and then claim to be the greatest!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/11/04 at 7:20 pm

Good.. as a fellow sport enthusiast im sure it sickens you that these people can take performance enhancing drugs and then claim to be the greatest!
Well she got an 8 year suspension...that will never happen to "King" Barry ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/11/04 at 7:22 pm

King Barry? You mean *glassy eyed stare* 'The Holy Californian Emporer of all That is Good and Right in the World!"

He won't get banned and it won't be long before all this is forgotten and he goes down in the analys of time as one of the Greatest ever!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/11/04 at 8:16 pm

I suddenly feel like there's a Sheppard Pie in my pants :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/12/04 at 5:27 am

I'll bet Barry does as well

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/12/04 at 8:15 pm

I'll bet Barry does as well
AND it's probably huge...full of steriods :P

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/13/04 at 3:43 am

LOL.. Mos Def

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/13/04 at 11:44 am

Instead of an asterik next to his records, they should put a picture of a hypodermic needle :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/13/04 at 2:20 pm

LOL... a bit joint

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/14/04 at 8:48 pm

A recent Men’s Health Magazine article showed that after two months, this user of Human Growth Hormone, his eyesight was around 15-15, this after being 35-40 and using glasses for 15 years.  Anybody that has aged past 40 realizes that your eyesight, and split second coordination, this can be a millimeter off for some, or a mile for others.  But the bottom line is it isn’t as good or better than when you were say 28.  So to hit 73 homeruns at 40 years old against Major League pitching is a physically impossible task to accomplish naturally!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/14/04 at 8:53 pm

My prediction is Barry Bonds is going to become another statistic like LYLE ALZADO...what a waste!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/14/04 at 9:10 pm

My prediction is Barry Bonds is going to become another statistic like LYLE ALZADO...what a waste!
I agree...but not before he sets a wonderful example for the kids thqat look up to him...as the media keeps putting him higher and higher on his pedastal ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/15/04 at 2:26 pm

Yeah that's what is aggravating.. the Media totally love him.l. they idolise him.. why.. why.. WHY!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/04 at 10:17 am

My question is why do people boo when anyone suggest that Ron Artest should be suspended from the NBA, he attacked a fan for throwing a can at him, and he's treated like he is sort of victim!  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/18/04 at 11:35 am

My question is why do people boo when anyone suggest that Ron Artest should be suspended from the NBA, he attacked a fan for throwing a can at him, and he's treated like he is sort of victim!  ::)
Artest was wrong but at least he never tried to murder anyone...ie: Latrell Sprewell ::) Anyway, this is about Bonds, Mr. Bonds...let's keep the other stuff in the topic about ALL the jerks ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...