inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late Soccer Topic

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/23/05 at 9:05 pm

I have been suprised to learn there are a lot of Football (soccer) fans on the forums...

I am curious about which teams you all support.. which country's soccer league you think is best etc.

I am a Leicester City fan with a soft spot for Chelsea (no not a glory hunter, it's been a life long soft spot)

I play for a local side although not for the last 2 games due to suspension :-[

Subject: Re: Late Soccer Topic

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/24/05 at 7:07 am

Leeds United, and have done since 1973  :D

Through good times and the current very, VERY, bad..... :(

and Celtic  :)

Written By: purpleorchid on 01/24/05 at 7:28 am

i am a man u fan, but i love good football, and yes, even when liverpool plays well  ::)
love the style or ronaldino too. he's amazing  ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/24/05 at 2:26 pm

Leeds United.. ha ha i have a story for you.. we won an award for chanting something at the Leeds fans at a game between Leicester & Leeds..

They sung at us "Going down going down going down" and we simply replied.. "So are we so are we so are we" LOL... who says Football Hooligans are all braindead idiots.

Written By: Paul on 01/24/05 at 3:24 pm

I remember a nice touch when Watford last got relegated...as soon as they knew they couldn't stay in the top flight (which must've been mid-January...!), the hardcore supporters went to away games with placards that read...

'Watford FC - we're out of your league...'

For all my sins (ahem!), my passions used to lay in the grass roots of the game, Non-League to be precise - I supported Dulwich Hamlet for many years...(who are apparently the only known team to have pink, yes PINK, within their colours...which we did use to get some good-natured stick for...)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/24/05 at 4:28 pm

I would have thought havin' a name like Dulwich Hamlet would be reason enough for ribbing..

"BORING BORING DULWICH!"

Written By: McDonald on 01/24/05 at 4:43 pm

When I was younger I really dug Man. Utd, but then I had to question their judgement in letting Beck's go to Spain. I enjoy the Barclay Premiership, and also the German Bundesliga, though I can't say I really have favourite teams in either league. As far as national competitions, I usually root for either Germany or England... but I'm keen on the Swedes and the Irish as well. While I respect Brasil's amazing talent, I HATE them for being so damn good and beating Germany in '02!  >:( That was a bad day for me... anyways. Yeah, soccer kicks a$$.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/24/05 at 4:51 pm

Ah Germany.. the Proverbal Enemy.. do i dare say.. yes.. yes 5.. cough.. 5 -1 cough..

LOL what a day oh what a night

Written By: Paul on 01/24/05 at 5:26 pm

"BORING BORING DULWICH!"

Mm...tell me about it - it got so bad when I left it that it cost a fiver to get in the game...

...and a tenner to get out...!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/25/05 at 3:23 am

Mm...tell me about it - it got so bad when I left it that it cost a fiver to get in the game...

...and a tenner to get out...!!

LOL

I remember Non League football.. i am actually in a league at the moment however it is so incredibly low down the scale it isn't even posible to find it lol.. The South Leicester 30 & Under Senior Division XXVII LOL.. something along those lines, even i'm not sure of it's full official title. Anyway we are mid table having won and lost the exact same number of games.. and drawn not one.. LOL.. in 18 Games not one has finished in a draw. That says something about either our attacking or our defending.. take your pick lol

Written By: purpleorchid on 01/25/05 at 9:56 pm

there are some pretty good football going on in the non league teams. i think that the passion is greater there unlike the league teams. with money and fame being a great motivator, sometimes i see that the actual love for the game is no longer apparent.  :-\\

what's your opinion on the video replay that the teams are trying ask for from the FA? i do agree that it takes the flow out of the game, but with the diving and all the dirty techniques players use nowadays... i don't know, it could be a good thing.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/26/05 at 3:04 am

I have watched a bit of Rugby in my time and they use the Video Replays. Unless the Video cannot see what has gone on the decision is usually very fast. I think they need to set out guidelines about how and when it is used however. All decisions in the penalty area ought to be quickly reviewed however most others should just be left up to the ref.. In all honesty i can't see it doing much more than adding 1 and a half to 2 minuets of time on to the end of the match. 2 Extra minuets for a fair game, that's a good trade IMO

Written By: purpleorchid on 01/26/05 at 9:43 am

I have watched a bit of Rugby in my time and they use the Video Replays. Unless the Video cannot see what has gone on the decision is usually very fast. I think they need to set out guidelines about how and when it is used however. All decisions in the penalty area ought to be quickly reviewed however most others should just be left up to the ref.. In all honesty i can't see it doing much more than adding 1 and a half to 2 minuets of time on to the end of the match. 2 Extra minuets for a fair game, that's a good trade IMO

most definitely agree with you on that one.

on another issue, i also think that there should be more consistency when it comes to the refereeing. it irks me to see so much inconsistency in decisions, and at times from the same blinking referee. and this happens all over.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/26/05 at 9:45 am

Mos Def.. i am glad Uriah Rennie isn't doing much any more... god he was awful

Written By: purpleorchid on 01/30/05 at 9:46 am

FA cup!!! more football action that involves not only the premier league  :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/30/05 at 11:13 am

My Leicester City won yesterday and are in the 5th Round.. we'll see if we get a big tie. We aren't a small club but if one of the very big teams came it would be on TV and would pump a few hundred grand in to the club which would be nice.

We have had awful cup luck in the past few years so just getting this far is nice.

I am going to be going to the Carling Cup Final between Liverpool and Chelsea soon.. which will rock.

Written By: purpleorchid on 01/31/05 at 8:24 am

Yeah, i do agree. big teams do actually bring in some money when they come to play. well if they could just spread their riches around, that would do even more for better football. fat hopes!

liverpool vs chelsea... at the way chelsea's been playing recently, i would place my bet on them. but the ball is round, we'll never know what might happen.

Written By: karen on 01/31/05 at 9:06 am

Here is the results of the draw for the next round (taken from the BBC sport news)

FA Cup fifth round draw:

Bolton v Derby or Fulham
West Bromwich Albion or Tottenham v Nottingham Forest
Everton v Manchester United
Charlton Athletic v Leicester City
Burnley v Blackburn
Southampton v Brentford or Hartlepool
Newcastle v Chelsea
Arsenal v West Ham or Sheffield United

Ties to be played on 19/20 February.

a bit disappointing for some of the smaller clubs that they won't get a big name this time but I suppose it means they live to fight another day!

Written By: purpleorchid on 01/31/05 at 10:57 am

Looking at the line up for the 5th round draw, the chances of chelsea meeting arsenal at some point or other might be the most watched game. but who knows, the smaller teams can play great football too.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/01/05 at 3:59 pm

9 Premiership teams and 7 non- prem teams.. looks good.

Written By: purpleorchid on 02/03/05 at 8:25 am

Saw the Arsenal-Man u game. although i'm jumping for joy because man u won at highbury, i detested the horrible attitude that was displayed by rooney.

west brom - crystal palace game was a good watch though.

refereeing decisions for both games were a bit dubious.

Written By: goodsin on 02/03/05 at 10:00 am

Saw the Arsenal-Man u game. although i'm jumping for joy because man u won at highbury, i detested the horrible attitude that was displayed by rooney.

Yep, was a good win by United. Is it me, or has the 'gamesmanship' & foul play element of the game taken much greater prominence this year? I realise there have always been off-the-ball incidents & hostility in some matches, but it seems there's an item of 'needle' or dispute regarding foul play from every match this year. I think it's all BS, personally- it doesn't help that Premier League managers seem to be taking brinkmanship to a new level, either. Personally, I don't want Chelsea to win the PL this year, just because Moaningho has displayed such arrogance- God help us, it looks like he'll be proved right, then we'll never hear the end of it...

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/03/05 at 11:01 am

Mourinho hasn't been arrogant as such.. he just hasn't been 'english' and said oh well anything could happen.. he has been a straight shooter. "I believe Chelsea can win, we have a good attitude, we have the best players and we have great support, that is why i believe that we can win the Premier League."

It's true!

Plus!+++ He has already come out and said that talk of qinning the quadrouple is crazy.

Anywho, foul play has grown out of control. Blackburn vs Chelsea was a great example, all the blackburn players did was hack in to the chelsea players, Robbie Savage (god bless him) commited about 15 fouls himself, now that is his style of play and god speed to him but i think Refs need to start pulling the card out more often and clamp down.

Written By: goodsin on 02/03/05 at 12:48 pm

Mourinho hasn't been arrogant as such.. he just hasn't been 'english' and said oh well anything could happen.. he has been a straight shooter. "I believe Chelsea can win, we have a good attitude, we have the best players and we have great support, that is why i believe that we can win the Premier League."

It's true!

Plus!+++ He has already come out and said that talk of qinning the quadrouple is crazy.

Anywho, foul play has grown out of control. Blackburn vs Chelsea was a great example, all the blackburn players did was hack in to the chelsea players, Robbie Savage (god bless him) commited about 15 fouls himself, now that is his style of play and god speed to him but i think Refs need to start pulling the card out more often and clamp down.

I don't object to Maurinho making the sort of statement you've listed above, it's more his moaning about other teams when they play Chelsea, plus comments between games intended to raise the level of brinkmanship.

Robbie Savage- aargh! I was brought up in Wales, between Chavage & Craig (don't) Bellamy, I reckon the Welsh national side has the two worst gobsheeshe knob-ends in the country playing for them- obviously that's a personal opinion... ;D

Written By: purpleorchid on 02/03/05 at 10:23 pm

Robbie Savage does live up to his name all the time, which is unnecessary because he is a player who gives his all to the game (his heart, his soul, left foot, right arm, you name it, he gives it)

as for mourinho, i don't really give two cents about what he moans and brags about. chelsea IS playing beautiful football with the deadly combination of duff, robben, drogba and lampard. yes, yes, i know that it was all achieved by abromovich's millions.

as for the welsh team, did ryan giggs retire from international football? i'm not too sure of that one.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/04/05 at 3:08 am

Hold on for a moment... the players bought with Ambromavich's millions were Drogba and Duff.. Lamps has been a chelsea player for some time now and both Chelsea and Man Utd had been battering for Robben for nearly 2 years.

Consider that also Gudjohnson & Terry two stars of the team this year have been there for some time. The team has been altered drastically, but all that happened was that the kind of money Ferguson would spend on three players over three years was used on about 10 players in one year. The whole Chelsea defence cost not far off the same amount as Wayne Rooney, but which would you rather have in your team?

Written By: goodsin on 02/04/05 at 8:25 am

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Chelsea/ Maurinho's achievement this year, I think it commands enormous respect. I don't consider the "they've bought the title" argument to be valid, either. I just don't like Maurinho, don't want him to be able to gloat...

I don't know if Giggs has hung up his international boots yet. He certainly played for Wales in September '04, but opinion is divided amongst my football-loving colleagues as to whether he will be continuing. I hope so, he's been (IMO) one of Wales' best players for a while.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/04/05 at 8:35 am

The British national team.. The full england squad + Ryan Giggs

Written By: blake36 on 02/04/05 at 8:05 pm

Watch, within 15 years the USA will win a world cup.  Soccer (or football, whatever) is really gaining popularity here.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 5:54 am

I have been saying that since 1998. You guys may complain about what your state spends money on. But there is nowhere else in the world where sports gets as much funding as in the US. It's excellent, here in England we have 1.. Olympic swimming pool.. in the Freakin' country. In the city i live in.. which has nearly half a million residents. We have 2 stadiums and one is falling down and small.

At the school i went to which is ranked in the top 50 in the country and has nearly 2000 students. There was.. a field, a very small weight room and gym which served about a million purposes.

With players like Freddy Adu coming through the ranks you guys have it made in 10 years. I am going to be playing Soccer in the states next year. I have already made contact with several teams and been told i may be able to get a place in the squad. But alas i know i will never even get a soccer scholarship because you guys have so many excellent young players coming though. It pleases me to see it, if only we could adopt the same aproach.

Written By: Bobby on 02/05/05 at 8:37 am

Wolves fan here (though I don't know what's happened to them as of late).

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 2:10 pm

They are languishing.. like they always seem to really.

Your heyday ended with Bully!

Written By: purpleorchid on 02/06/05 at 7:26 am

Hold on for a moment... the players bought with Ambromavich's millions were Drogba and Duff.. Lamps has been a chelsea player for some time now and both Chelsea and Man Utd had been battering for Robben for nearly 2 years.

Consider that also Gudjohnson & Terry two stars of the team this year have been there for some time. The team has been altered drastically, but all that happened was that the kind of money Ferguson would spend on three players over three years was used on about 10 players in one year. The whole Chelsea defence cost not far off the same amount as Wayne Rooney, but which would you rather have in your team?

yeah, admit that you've got your point (bit sore that robben chose chelsea, man, he's good!).

anyway, not been posting for the past two days (brother-in-law's engagement party) and loads has been posted. Yippee!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/06/05 at 7:33 am

Robben is one of the best midfielders in Europe. It's great that he is so young as well.. he will only get better.

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 7:47 am

They are languishing.. like they always seem to really.

Your heyday ended with Bully!

It certainly did. Steve Bull was a legend.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...