inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CALLING ALL CANADIANS!! HOCKEY QUESTION

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/16/05 at 5:37 pm

I sure hope not, but I think it might  :(  But it would be sad.  It would make Canada less distinct from the US than it already is (mind, there are differences but it's not a full-blown foreign country). 

I vote, I have no idea, but I think football might become Canada's sport too.  Oddly enough, Basketball was invented in Canada.

Subject: Re: CALLING ALL CANADIANS!! HOCKEY QUESTION

Written By: whitewolf on 02/16/05 at 5:42 pm

Hockey will be back ( I hope)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/16/05 at 5:50 pm

the NHL has been cancelled. this is the first time that a professional sports league has ever done that. hockey would loose a little bit of it's luster in the next season but canada will always be a hockey nation. football has it's loyal fans with the CFL and basketball will always be a high school/college sport in this country.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/16/05 at 6:07 pm

I'm American but am still wondering WHY the players need SO much Money. I heard that the owners offered  a 42.5 million salary cap but the players want 49! Gary Bettman says if they were to allow that much it would be cost more than the entire league made last year. Greed will eventually ruin sports if things continue as they are :-\\

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/16/05 at 6:21 pm

I'm American but am still wondering WHY the players need SO much Money. I heard that the owners offered  a 42.5 million salary cap but the players want 49! Gary Bettman says if they were to allow that much it would be cost more than the entire league made last year. Greed will eventually ruin sports if things continue as they are :-\\

i wonder how this is going to affect the NFL and baseball. i know most of the issues raised with hockey was the smaller teams like nashville and tampa bay who can't afford to have big name players and pay their big name prices. i know the NFL has price caps and a much smaller league, they can cope but MLB has small franchises like the NHL with players who want it all.

Written By: Tam on 02/16/05 at 6:22 pm

Hockey will prevail.
You have to remember that it is hard for Canada to compete in the Pro Sports industry. I say this because the teams are American and paid in US dollars. Canada in turn has to increase the amount that they pay their players in order to maintain the status quo. That is mostly why the Grizzlies left BC, and the fact that there simply wasnt a fan base in that Province.
Hockey has always been a Canadian sport and even though fans are more than a little peeved with the current lock-out, they will in fact return for next season just as excited as they were initially for this one. (Provided the lock-out is ceased etc)
Similar case is the Montreal Expos now becoming the Washington Nationals. For years the expos played at Olympic Stadium and the fan base was still there, however with limited monetary contributions and a salary cap that put them almost off the scale because of the currency change, they had hardly any ability to add to their roster in order to stay competitive.

Anyway, the subject at hand is Hockey, and yes, Hockey will prevail in Canada.
How about those Habs eh?!         ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/16/05 at 6:42 pm

i wonder how this is going to affect the NFL and baseball. i know most of the issues raised with hockey was the smaller teams like nashville and tampa bay who can't afford to have big name players and pay their big name prices. i know the NFL has price caps and a much smaller league, they can cope but MLB has small franchises like the NHL with players who want it all.
Don't forget about the NBA ::) I couldn't believe how Patrick Ewing and more recently Latrell Sprewell both worried after pay cuts, how they were going to feed thier families! Greedy >:(

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/16/05 at 7:54 pm

Don't forget about the NBA ::) I couldn't believe how Patrick Ewing and more recently Latrell Sprewell both worried after pay cuts, how they were going to feed thier families! Greedy >:(

I agree.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/16/05 at 10:02 pm

It wll prevail.... eventually....  ::)

Written By: conker on 02/17/05 at 10:23 am

I sure hope not, but I think it might  :(  But it would be sad.  It would make Canada less distinct from the US than it already is (mind, there are differences but it's not a full-blown foreign country). 

I vote, I have no idea, but I think football might become Canada's sport too.  Oddly enough, Basketball was invented in Canada.

Hockey will prevail, not a question in Canada but more for the sun belt small market US teams.
I do take issue with your assertion that Canada is not a full blown country.  Other than the fact we are over run with US fast food, retail outlets and media we are much different, we're just too polite to tell anyone.

And basketball was invented by a Canadian (James Niasmith) but at the YMCA in Springfield Missouri.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/17/05 at 10:59 am

I'm am not Canadian, but hockey will be as Canadian as basketball is American. And neither the 'tween shall meet. 8)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/17/05 at 11:17 am

Hockey will prevail, not a question in Canada but more for the sun belt small market US teams.
I do take issue with your assertion that Canada is not a full blown country. Other than the fact we are over run with US fast food, retail outlets and media we are much different, we're just too polite to tell anyone.

And basketball was invented by a Canadian (James Niasmith) but at the YMCA in Springfield Missouri.

Sorry if you felt I insulted your country. :(  They're different enough from the US, Canada's a better country imo in fact (although the farthest I've been into Canada is a few miles).  I guess it's more they don't speak a foreign language (well, the French Canadians do).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/17/05 at 8:11 pm

It's officall.... Hockey's dead.  :\'(  >:(

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/05 at 8:27 pm

I like hockey, especially live. It's one of the few sports I enjoy. I hope it comes back.

Check for new replies or respond here...