inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's with the country songs for the NBA All Star Halftime show?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/20/05 at 9:02 pm

Hello, did they get the events wrong? The Daytona 500 is in Florida! Wrong show and audience! I can't believe they have country stars for the All Star game.

Tanya

Subject: Re: What's with the country songs for the NBA All Star Halftime show?

Written By: jiminy on 02/20/05 at 9:13 pm

Hello, did they get the events wrong? The Daytona 500 is in Florida! Wrong show and audience! I can't believe they have country stars for the All Star game.

Tanya
We have to put up with rap and hip hop everyplace we look, it's a nice change

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/20/05 at 9:23 pm

We have to put up with rap and hip hop everyplace we look, it's a nice change

I understand what you are saying. But, it's not the immediate audience that's watching the game. Charles Barkley and the other analysts even said it was a bad match. They didn't really get any audience participation at all. I see Paul McCartney's perfomance at the Super Bowl all over again.

Tanya

Written By: jiminy on 02/20/05 at 9:34 pm

I understand what you are saying. But, it's not the immediate audience that's watching the game. Charles Barkley and the other analysts even said it was a bad match. They didn't really get any audience participation at all. I see Paul McCartney's perfomance at the Super Bowl all over again.

Tanya
like rap and hip hop would be a bad match at a rodeo?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/20/05 at 9:47 pm

like when elton john played at the 100th anniversary party of harley davidson. he was the surprise guest! i never seen bikers play elton john's music, the only rocker he ever had was 'saturday nights all right for fighting'.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 10:25 pm

It's part of the NFL's "we are sorry about last year" apollogy to the FCC.  ::)  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/21/05 at 11:30 am

It's part of the NFL's "we are sorry about last year" apollogy to the FCC.  ::)  ;D

I figured that! I hate PC behavior. It sucks!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/21/05 at 12:11 pm

I heard that the promoters were trying to keep Denver's Old West Image as a Cow Town...therefore the country music :-\\ Still it was a nice step up from the usual rap-crap garbage....and, BTW,  I don't hate it ALL, Tanya ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/21/05 at 2:28 pm

I heard that the promoters were trying to keep Denver's Old West Image as a Cow Town...therefore the country music :-\\ Still it was a nice step up from the usual rap-crap garbage....and, BTW,  I don't hate it ALL, Tanya ;)

I can see that.  :)

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/21/05 at 4:18 pm

I can see that.  :)

Tanya
;)

Written By: Random Poster on 02/23/05 at 5:32 pm

Big and Rich aren't your typical country acts.  I think they are more "rock-country" in a sense because they were basically cast aside by their peers because record companies told them "that ain't country, you can't get that on the radio."  I mean, how many country acts have a 6-5 250 black rapping cowboy that comes out in the middle of a so-called country song and busts out in a rap?

I think it was a welcome change to all the ghetto-like performances they usually have and if you haven't noticed, the NBA is trying to clean up their over-paid thug-like image where they can.

I thought it was a good show, I mean how often do you see a halftime show where a horse comes out onto the court and you have both a midget and a black rapping cowboy?

Written By: Satish on 02/23/05 at 7:36 pm

You shouldn't stereotype. All kinds of different people like watching basketball. It's not the exclusive property of one group.

The image that basketball's just for urban black teenagers, and thus that hip hop is the appropriate soundtrack for it, is extremely narrow.

There's many, many people who like basketball, both in the United States and in other countries. It's arguably the most popular sport in the world.

Just look at Yao Ming; he comes all the way from China, and he's playing in the NBA. Maybe next year, they should have Cantonese pop singers from Hong Kong at the all star game!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/23/05 at 9:45 pm

You shouldn't stereotype. All kinds of different people like watching basketball. It's not the exclusive property of one group.

The image that basketball's just for urban black teenagers, and thus that hip hop is the appropriate soundtrack for it, is extremely narrow.

There's many, many people who like basketball, both in the United States and in other countries. It's arguably the most popular sport in the world.

Just look at Yao Ming; he comes all the way from China, and he's playing in the NBA. Maybe next year, they should have Cantonese pop singers from Hong Kong at the all star game!

I'm not stereotyping at all. It was just boring and slowed the pace of the show! I mean, LeeAnn Rimes? I'd prefer the Cantonese singers over her.

Tanya

Written By: jiminy on 02/23/05 at 9:49 pm

I say let David Allen Coe do the half time show...anyone notice that rhyme?  :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/23/05 at 9:52 pm

I say let David Allen Coe do the half time show...anyone notice that rhyme?  :D

Ha!

Tanya

Written By: jiminy on 02/23/05 at 10:00 pm

I'm not stereotyping at all. It was just boring and slowed the pace of the show! I mean, LeeAnn Rimes? I'd prefer the Cantonese singers over her.

Tanya
or yoko ono

Check for new replies or respond here...