inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mark McGwire....

Written By: danootaandme on 03/18/05 at 6:05 pm

McGwire, with tears in his eyes, refused to answer the "were you on steroids?" question.  Looks like Mr. Clean isn't. I personally don't care about the players and their steroid use, and find the hearings in congress a waste of taxpayer money. But it always was a sore point with me that people were giving him a pass while vilifying Bonds.  Sosa said he unequivically wasn't using them, of course that could be a cork bat story that probably, at this point, can't be proven or disproven, but since McGwire definitely was what do you do with the Hall of Fame credentials?

Subject: Re: Mark McGwire....

Written By: Allie Fox on 03/18/05 at 11:00 pm

I don't see it as a waste of money, although I could think of some things that money could be better spent on.

I can see you point about the McGwire/Bonds issue.  I think it has alot to do with attitude.  McGwire was always "press friendly" whereas Bonds is quite the opposite.  In fact he has been known to be quite the arrogant butthole privately too.

You are about to see a dramatic change in attitude toward McGwire in light of his shameful testimony in Washington.  Not only did he sidestep the issue that Palmeiro, Thomas, Sosa and Schilling took up head on but he looked and sounded weak doing it.  There is not much that can be done about his steroid use in the past.  I think the only thing that it will cost him is a first ballot entry into the Hall.

Unless someone comes out and says, "I was a steroid user from 199? until ???" I don't think anything can be done.  The problem needs to be addressed for the future. 

Steroid use is CHEATING.  I think the same rules that apply to olympic athletes should apply to pro athletes.

1st offense = 2 year ban
2nd offense = Lifetime ban

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/05 at 6:48 am

It makes me sick to think that these CHEATERS who shot themselves up with 'rhoids and other designer drugs, will likely find themselves in the Hall of Fame.

Meanwhile, Charlie Hustle, Pete Rose is rebuffed because he bet against other teams in baseball.  Never against his own team.

It ain't right  >:( , and I say this as a person who is not particularly a Pete Rose fan.

Pete Rose had more talent in his haircut than those druggie ball "players" had in their whole polluted bodies.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/19/05 at 7:10 am

Thing about it is this, Big Mac was always a great ballplayer, of course you have to wonder when he started useing steroids, but i belive he was clean for at least a while.

Barry 'Play till im 50' Bonds however, wasn't. He wasn't a bad player, he would easily have made the top 50 HR Hitters, and more than likely would have made the HOF, however he would not be breaking records left right and centre field.

It's a dark day for Baseball when 4 of the top ten hitters are dragged up for drug charges.

Let this be said though, in terms of Character, Big Mac beats them all hands down.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/05 at 7:43 am

Thing about it is this, Big Mac was always a great ballplayer, of course you have to wonder when he started useing steroids, but i belive he was clean for at least a while.

Barry 'Play till im 50' Bonds however, wasn't. He wasn't a bad player, he would easily have made the top 50 HR Hitters, and more than likely would have made the HOF, however he would not be breaking records left right and centre field.

It's a dark day for Baseball when 4 of the top ten hitters are dragged up for drug charges.

Let this be said though, in terms of Character, Big Mac beats them all hands down.

There's a saying that we have here in Indiana, but decorum and board rules prevent me from saying it exactly.  So I'll paraphrase it:

Even if you cheat just a little, that still makes you a CHEATER.

And that sums up "Big" Mac's character.  :P

Written By: danootaandme on 03/19/05 at 7:48 am

He cleaned up after leaving.  You telling me that you didn't raise an eyebrow when he retired the same
year that it was announced they would be testing for steroids?  If you didn't you were the only one.  It said it all.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/19/05 at 7:56 am

He cleaned up after leaving.  You telling me that you didn't raise an eyebrow when he retired the same
year that it was announced they would be testing for steroids?  If you didn't you were the only one.  It said it all.

It was always somewhat obvious that towards the end he was taking something. Of course towards the end he was battling against the kind of injurys that would put a lot of guys on the shelf.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 9:02 am

As  much as I love The Cardinals, I think he's being nearly as much of an idiot as Steriod Barry....be a man an admit you F'd up >:( Roger Maris should still have that record :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 03/19/05 at 10:23 am

do you guys have an idea as to why Bonds wasn't called for this?  I would thing he would be number one
on the list.  Can't wait to see what happens to the stats(and physiques)of all the players after this.  And why Shilling?  I don't see any reason why he was called, unless they thought something went on during the series that helped him pitch with that foot. ???

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/19/05 at 11:19 am

do you guys have an idea as to why Bonds wasn't called for this?  I would thing he would be number one
on the list.  Can't wait to see what happens to the stats(and physiques)of all the players after this.  And why Shilling?  I don't see any reason why he was called, unless they thought something went on during the series that helped him pitch with that foot. ???

I think having Schilling have to plead his innocence is undermining his great achievement. The guy didn't get through those games on Steroids, he did it on painkillers and guts

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 11:22 am

I think having Schilling have to plead his innocence is undermining his great achievement. The guy didn't get through those games on Steroids, he did it on painkillers and guts
Next thing ya know, they'll accuse Larry Walker of injecting steriods into his Belly!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 11:24 am

It could be because Steriod Barry is above the law...and he IS money for baseball. He's approaching the Holy Grail of records and baseball can't afford to tear down thier king....but I hope I'm wrong :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/19/05 at 11:25 am

Next thing ya know, they'll accuse Larry Walker of injecting steriods into his Belly!

LMAO! And his ass huh

It could be because Steriod Barry is above the law...and he IS money for baseball. He's approaching the Holy Grail of records and baseball can't afford to tear down thier king....but I hope I'm wrong :-\\

That's the best reason i have heard. Face it, as long as the big smug SOB is swinging that Bat and breaking records, and making ESPN Play's of the week, he will be above any law.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/05 at 8:25 am

But it wasn't Baseball who decided who got called, it was Congress.  They are looking to make a splash
which is why they called Mcgwire.  Maybe there is gonna be a round 2. ???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/20/05 at 9:42 am

But it wasn't Baseball who decided who got called, it was Congress.   They are looking to make a splash
which is why they called Mcgwire.  Maybe there is gonna be a round 2. ???
Big Mac is now on my list of jerks, Barry has been there for years. Like I saidbefore, baseball can't "Afford" to investigate and expose Bonds, the star of the league...especially now that he's within reach of history ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/20/05 at 10:25 am

Ha Big Mac will never go on my list of jerks, i am fully aware of the double standards i am making here, but the thing is this, last 3-4 years of his career Big Mac was suffering, he was damn close to being forced to retire 3 years before he did. Bonds however, was in great physical shape and still is, I'm sorry but McGuire although he cheated, didn't even come close to cheating in the same way Bonds did.

It's because i am sentimental, when i was a little boy, i remember going and seeing Ozzy Smith play, and it left a lasting impression on me.. then every summer when i was in the states i would want to see Ozzy.. he finished up.. there was a void. The McGuire came along and the void was filled. He was my hero, he was a genuine guy and DANG! was he a good ball player. It hurts that he cheated, but at the same time i can see some small victory for him over Steroid Freak Barry.

Once again, i am aware of the double standards i am useing, but still.. what's worse, cheating so you can keep playing the sport you love, or cheating just so your even better than you were before?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/20/05 at 11:01 am

Ha Big Mac will never go on my list of jerks, i am fully aware of the double standards i am making here, but the thing is this, last 3-4 years of his career Big Mac was suffering, he was darn close to being forced to retire 3 years before he did. Bonds however, was in great physical shape and still is, I'm sorry but McGuire although he cheated, didn't even come close to cheating in the same way Bonds did.

It's because i am sentimental, when i was a little boy, i remember going and seeing Ozzy Smith play, and it left a lasting impression on me.. then every summer when i was in the states i would want to see Ozzy.. he finished up.. there was a void. The McGuire came along and the void was filled. He was my hero, he was a genuine guy and DANG! was he a good ball player. It hurts that he cheated, but at the same time i can see some small victory for him over Steroid Freak Barry.

Once again, i am aware of the double standards i am useing, but still.. what's worse, cheating so you can keep playing the sport you love, or cheating just so your even better than you were before?
Okay, I erred....What I should've said was, for the situation he's in now, Big Mac is being a jerk....Barry always was, is and will ALWAYS be a jerk, IMHO ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...