inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jermaine O'Neal Says NBA Age Limit Suggestion is Racially Motivated

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/12/05 at 10:22 am

Please leave comments.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/8378001

Subject: Re: Jermaine O'Neal Says NBA Age Limit Suggestion is Racially Motivated

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/12/05 at 10:30 am

AGAIN with the racial crap ::) Are any toher people from other races complaining.  Yes, you can join the military when you're 18 but you have to pass tests....people complained when colleges dared say you had to learn how to READ before you could graduate ::)

Subject: Re: Jermaine O'Neal Says NBA Age Limit Suggestion is Racially Motivated

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/12/05 at 11:05 am

No, I don't agree with him. I think the desire to limit their ages for eligibility is based on maturity - which a lot of them don't have.

Tanya

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/05 at 4:43 pm

No.  As Tanya said, I also agree that it has to do with maturity.  Sure, these guys may be more talented than the average player, but I think they need to play at least a couple of years in college as there is a VAST difference between the intensity of high school and pro games, with college falling somewhere in between.  There's also the question of "What if they get hurt?"  If LeBron James got hurt and couldn't play basketball anymore, what does he have to fall back on?  How many baseball or hockey players go straight from high school to the Major leagues?  Where the heck is he getting that it's racism?  Simply because the majority of players drafted out of high school happen to be black?  What's wrong with them getting a college education first?  If they're good enough to play straight out of high school, then more experience in college can only help them.  It's almost as if he's saying that they aren't smart enough to go through college ???

But what if someone just doesn't want to go to college, Why is it that people act like college is a requirement nowadays? So what if LeBron joined the army, got sent to Iraq and got killed or seriously injured instead of joining the NBA then what would he have to fall back on? I'm not going to college because I don't want to pay for it now, and I don't want my parents paying for it not that they have any money anyways, once I finish high school I'm moving out, that's the way I think it should be. I may get some college done someday, but now I'd rather work and have my own place. I think it should be 18, like voting, contract signing, joining military or getting drafted, etc. My dad didn't go to college and he makes over $20.00 an hour, my brother and a cousin went later and they're doing fine.

Written By: limblifter on 04/12/05 at 4:58 pm

No.  As Tanya said, I also agree that it has to do with maturity.  Sure, these guys may be more talented than the average player, but I think they need to play at least a couple of years in college as there is a VAST difference between the intensity of high school and pro games, with college falling somewhere in between.  There's also the question of "What if they get hurt?"  If LeBron James got hurt and couldn't play basketball anymore, what does he have to fall back on?  How many baseball or hockey players go straight from high school to the Major leagues?  Where the heck is he getting that it's racism?  Simply because the majority of players drafted out of high school happen to be black?  What's wrong with them getting a college education first?  If they're good enough to play straight out of high school, then more experience in college can only help them.  It's almost as if he's saying that they aren't smart enough to go through college ???

I think if Lebron James was forced to retire due to an injury, with the millions he's already been paid, I think he would have every opportunity in the world to return to school and continue his education.

As for hockey players. The ones that make the NHL through college are few. To be able to make the NHL it is preferable to play in the juniors and work your way up. And sorry, but if they're gonna play in the juniors, there just isn't enough time for school.

As for the poll. I think Jermaine O'Neil needs to get his head checked. By his logic, the NHL lockout is racially motivated as well. Don't want us white hockey players making too much money  :D

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/05 at 10:27 pm

I don't think that college should be a requirement to play in the NBA.  I DO, however, think there should be some sort of "transitional" league like there is in most (all?) other professional sports of this type.  How many football players have been drafted straight out of high school?  I don't know the exact answer, but my guess would be few, if any.  Why?  Because there's a MAJOR difference between playing high school level sports and professional level sports.

That may be a good idea, it's too bad there isn't like a minor league NBA or something, the minor leagues in baseball are the right idea, other sports should have something similar, because bottom line is, not everybody wants to go to college.

Written By: RATT on 04/22/05 at 5:25 pm

:\'( We're victims again.  :\'(    Damn Crackers!  BLAH BLAH BLAH  Please!  Bunch of whiny, rich, complainers. Get a real job and see how life really is. 

Check for new replies or respond here...