inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WNBA 9th Season

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/05 at 11:20 am

Today the WNBA begins thier 9th season as the defending champion Seattle Storm play the Los Angeles Sparks.

Subject: Re: WNBA 9th Season

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/21/05 at 11:27 am

When is that Colorado WNBA team gonna be operating, Mark?

I'm not holding any false hopes on the Fever this year. Stephanie White "retired" and is now an assistant at the Colorado U. (I believe) And Brian Winters is still the coach ::) But I wish them good luck anyway. Anybody should win with Tamika Catchings and Natalie Williams on their roster.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/05 at 2:58 pm

When is that Colorado WNBA team gonna be operating, Mark?

I'm not holding any false hopes on the Fever this year. Stephanie White "retired" and is now an assistant at the Colorado U. (I believe) And Brian Winters is still the coach ::) But I wish them good luck anyway. Anybody should win with Tamika Catchings and Natalie Williams on their roster.
I  wish your team the best Jonathan. I've  not heard much about the WNBA entry here as of yet. Becky Hammon and Katie Cronin, who were teamates on the elite eight Colorado State Rams back in '99, have been playing together for the Colorado Chill during the WNBA offseason. I'm torn between Becky of New York Liberty and Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird from the Defending Champs Seattle Storm

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/05 at 7:55 pm

Well, Seattle lost :-\\ Becky and  The Liberty play soon though :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/05 at 8:02 pm

Becky Hammon scored the last 8 points for New York last night as the Liberty won....right now Seattle trails Connecticut at halftime, 50-41.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/08/05 at 8:49 pm

Sue Bird suffered a broken nose last night after accidently being hit by teammate Lauren Jacskon as Seattle lost :-\\ Bird had just recovered from another broken nose in last years playoffs.

Written By: Im Batman on 06/09/05 at 12:00 am

Seattle beats previously 4-0 Detroit in Detroit, and that's without Sue Bird, who got her nose broken for the second time in 12 months in last night's loss to Conn.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/05 at 12:07 am

Seattle beats previously 4-0 Detroit in Detroit, and that's without Sue Bird, who got her nose broken for the second time in 12 months in last night's loss to Conn.
That's great news! The Seattle win...will she be back anytime soon?

Written By: Im Batman on 06/09/05 at 2:16 pm

Not only did Sue break her nose, but she also broke her cheekbone in the collision with Lauren Jackson's arm.

They flew Sue back to Seattle after the Conn game for more observations.  Her face is swollen, so they can't operate until the swelling goes down. Once she has the operation, she can't even begin to wear a protective mask until the post-surgery swelling goes down and they can fit her for a mask.

Sue will miss at least the next two games on their current road trip.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/05 at 7:22 pm

That sucks :-\\ Thanks for the update though...

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/09/05 at 8:40 pm

Yeah, Sue just doesn't seem to have any luck with her face. Luckily, she is on the defending championship team.

The Fever lost 3 out of 4 on their road trip and are currently at .500. Still surprising, but you know it couldn't last. :(

That sucks :-\\ Thanks for the update though...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/20/05 at 1:06 pm

http://www.wnba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

Written By: nally on 07/18/05 at 7:02 pm

My local team is the Sparks...as usual, I be cheering for them. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/05 at 8:49 pm

My local team is the Sparks...as usual, I be cheering for them. ;)
Sorry Jeff, Lisa Leslie is MUCH too full of herself...though she did have a dunk last week! I like Seatlle with Lauren and Sue and of course, Becky Hammon and New York ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/18/05 at 10:11 pm

The Fever continue their mastery of the Shock with a 59-58 victory on the road, pushing their record to 11-6 this season. It's nice to see Jurgita Strymikyte finally start and produce after 4+ years on the bench.  :) :) :)

http://fog.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1567647reg.jpg

I agree, Mark. The entire Sparks team are full of themselves. The Fever should have beaten their butts in Conseco Fieldhouse. They should've guard a mediocre shooter like Tamika Whitmore better than they did. That's why they lost, but if they do meet the Sparks in the WNBA finals, they should be able to stop Leslie, Holdsclaw and the coaching of Henry Bibby.

Written By: nally on 07/18/05 at 10:36 pm

Sorry Jeff, Lisa Leslie is MUCH too full of herself...though she did have a dunk last week! I like Seatlle with Lauren and Sue and of course, Becky Hammon and New York ;)

Yeah...they're cool too. (I did mention that in the PBG forum when you posted their pictures.) :) I just personally like to cheer for my local teams, no matter how good or bad they're doing. So if anything, Seattle Storm would be my second-favourite wnba team.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/05 at 10:56 pm

Yeah...they're cool too. (I did mention that in the PBG forum when you posted their pictures.) :) I just personally like to cheer for my local teams, no matter how good or bad they're doing. So if anything, Seattle Storm would be my second-favourite wnba team.
;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/20/05 at 7:02 pm

I guess Seattle would be my second favorite, too. I also like the Connecticut Sun, being one of the smallest markets to own a major league franchise.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 12:17 pm

I guess Seattle would be my second favorite, too. I also like the Connecticut Sun, being one of the smallest markets to own a major league franchise.
I bet you had a tough time rooting for just one in last years finals then :D ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/21/05 at 9:33 pm

Yes and no. It was tougher not to see the Fever in the finals, again. But as long as the Sparks or Comets aren't in the finals, I was glad a favorite team won last year. I hope the Fever do get past the Sun if they are in the Eastern finals Series. And I certainly hope they win over any Western team. ;)
I bet you had a tough time rooting for just one in last years finals then :D ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 10:19 pm

Yes and no. It was tougher not to see the Fever in the finals, again. But as long as the Sparks or Comets aren't in the finals, I was glad a favorite team won last year. I hope the Fever do get past the Sun if they are in the Eastern finals Series. And I certainly hope they win over any Western team. ;)
It'd be cool to see the Fever win...otherwise, from the East, I'd love for Becky to finally win one with the Liberty :)

Written By: nally on 08/21/05 at 12:38 pm

Bump...

I guess my local team, the Sparks, aren't doing quite as well this season, oh well :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/21/05 at 1:53 pm

Bump...

I guess my local team, the Sparks, aren't doing quite as well this season, oh well :-\\
Neither are my defending champion Storm or the Liberty but hey, there's still time left for all our teams, Jeff :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/05 at 6:32 pm

The Sparks are just 1 game behind  Phoenix for the final playoff spot....

Written By: nally on 08/28/05 at 5:22 pm

The Sparks are just 1 game behind  Phoenix for the final playoff spot....

That's great!

ooh wait... where do they stand as of now? ???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/28/05 at 9:03 pm

That's great!

ooh wait... where do they stand as of now? ???
It's all here ;) http://www.wnba.com/

Written By: nally on 08/29/05 at 12:11 pm

It's all here ;) http://www.wnba.com/

thanks...I should refer to that link whenever I need to. By the way, I found this thread buried on page 3; I guess it's not all that popular or something :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/05 at 12:26 pm

thanks...I should refer to that link whenever I need to. By the way, I found this thread buried on page 3; I guess it's not all that popular or something :-\\
I don't mind that certain threads slip anymore. What annoys me is how it bothers people who don't care about the thread in the first place but get bent by my replying to it. Hey, as long as it's news I'm posting it :) Congrats to your Sparks BTW ;)

Written By: nally on 08/29/05 at 1:30 pm

I don't mind that certain threads slip anymore. What annoys me is how it bothers people who don't care about the thread in the first place but get bent by my replying to it. Hey, as long as it's news I'm posting it :) Congrats to your Sparks BTW ;)

thankx :)

Which team are you rooting for again?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/05 at 1:33 pm

thankx :)

Which team are you rooting for again?
Well, since Becky Hammon played her college ball at Colorado State and holds all kinds of records as well, I'm rooting for her and the Liberty along with Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson and Seattle to repeat. If by some chance Seattle plays New York in the Finals I'd pull for Becky to win it :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/30/05 at 7:27 pm

The playoffs begin tonight:

Date Game Time (EST)
Tue 30 Indiana  @ New York  First Round           7:30pm ESPN 2
              Seattle  @ Houston  First Round                 9:30pm               ESPN 2
Wed 31        Connecticut  @ Detroit  First Round           8:00pm ESPN 2
              Sacramento  @ Los Angeles  First Round     10:30pm NBA TV/WNBA.COM

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/31/05 at 10:26 am

Seattle beat Houston 75-67 and Indiana beat New York in game 1 of each series last night.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/05/05 at 10:06 am

Indy's Fever knocked out the Liberty and my belove Becky Hammon. Seattle, my other team, with Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were also beaten as were Jeff's Sparks. I'll root for well, whoever. It's down to Indiana/Connecticut in the East and Houston/Sacramento in the West.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/17/05 at 9:25 am

Since New York, Seattle and Indiana are now out of the hunt and Connecticut is playing Sacramento for the title (Best of 5 tied at 1 apiece), I'll root for Katie Douglass and the Sun.

Written By: nally on 09/17/05 at 11:53 pm

Oh my goodness, we're in the postseason now. :o (I've known that for a couple weeks now, but just haven't followed it enough to post anything on here...oh well.) Anyone who wins the championship is fine with me. 8) ;) Sun...it's all good.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/18/05 at 2:16 pm

Oh my goodness, we're in the postseason now. :o (I've known that for a couple weeks now, but just haven't followed it enough to post anything on here...oh well.) Anyone who wins the championship is fine with me. 8) ;) Sun...it's all good.
Yeah, I lost a lot of interest once Becky Hammon, Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird were sent packing :-\\

Written By: nally on 09/19/05 at 4:39 pm

Yeah, I lost a lot of interest once Becky Hammon, Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird were sent packing :-\\

Maybe they'll do better next year :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/05 at 6:37 pm

Maybe they'll do better next year :-\\
Hopefully. Hey, best wishes to the Sparks as well, Jeff :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/05 at 9:09 pm

Sacramento looks poised to win thier 1st WNBA Title...they lead Connecticut 62,59 with 9 seconds left. The Sun will get the ball after the time-out...........

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/05 at 9:14 pm

....and Sacramento held on for the 62-59 win and thier 1st WNBA Championship.

Written By: nally on 09/20/05 at 11:01 pm

That's good...I wouldn't have minded either way, but I am happy about Sacramento winning because they're a California team. :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/05 at 11:31 pm

That's good...I wouldn't have minded either way, but I am happy about Sacramento winning because they're a California team. :)
I figured ;)

Written By: nally on 09/20/05 at 11:33 pm

I figured ;)

OTOH, if neither team was CA, I wouldn't mind either side winning :)

Welcome back, btw ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/21/05 at 12:55 pm

OTOH, if neither team was CA, I wouldn't mind either side winning :)

Welcome back, btw ;)
I'm sure scarletgail is happy wherever she may be.

Thanks for the welcome back, Jeff
:)

Written By: nally on 09/21/05 at 5:48 pm

I'm sure scarletgail is happy wherever she may be.

Yeah...she hasn't been around lately :-\\ I do miss chattin' with her

Thanks for the welcome back, Jeff :)

No prob ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/21/05 at 9:10 pm

Yeah...she hasn't been around lately :-\\ I do miss chattin' with her
No prob ;)
I tried calling her but no luck. Anyway, thanks again and we'll begin another thread on this next season :)

Written By: nally on 09/21/05 at 10:58 pm

I tried calling her but no luck. Anyway, thanks again and we'll begin another thread on this next season :)

Calling her? I guess you actually know her.. ;) I just looked at her profile and she hasn't been active in the past two months.

Yep...next year we can begin a thread on the 2006 WNBA season 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/21/05 at 11:26 pm

Calling her? I guess you actually know her.. ;) I just looked at her profile and she hasn't been active in the past two months.

Yep...next year we can begin a thread on the 2006 WNBA season 8)
Oh yes, I talked to her a few times last year. Lately, no. She's very cool and has a lot of stuff going on in her life that must be preventing her from being around lately. Anyway, for next year I'll root hard for Seattle and New York....as always :)

Written By: nally on 09/21/05 at 11:33 pm

Oh yes, I talked to her a few times last year. Lately, no. She's very cool and has a lot of stuff going on in her life that must be preventing her from being around lately. Anyway, for next year I'll root hard for Seattle and New York....as always :)

And I'll be cheering for the Sparks ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/05 at 9:33 am

And I'll be cheering for the Sparks ;)
:)As always, may the best team win ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/22/05 at 3:21 pm

And the winner is:  Sacramento. Yolanda Griffith goes out in style, beating the Sun 62-59 in Game 4 to clinch the 2005 WNBA title. There was absolutely no press coverage during the entire playoffs.  Some idiot from Carmel wrote to USA Today that womens' professional spors will never succeed in the US, and that he has a daughter that plays Little League, so he calls himself a realist. Maybe the reality is that womens' sports are too classy and not violent enough to be profitable in this country. That's a shame. And congratulations to the Sacramento Monarchs on winning this year. But the Sun will win it next year, if the Fever don't take it first. 

Written By: nally on 09/23/05 at 1:30 pm

:)As always, may the best team win ;)

8)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/23/05 at 8:15 pm

Must be a Monarchs fan.
8)

Written By: nally on 09/23/05 at 11:49 pm

Must be a Monarchs fan.

Me? Nope. I am a Sparks fan, since they're my local team. But I do like to cheer for other teams, as in other sports as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...