inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: London will get the 2012 olympic games

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/06/05 at 6:50 am

They just announced it.  There were five (5) cities: New York, Madrid, London, Paris and Moscow.  Moscow was voted out first, then New York, then Madrid, and finally Paris was voted out.

Congratulations London!

Subject: Re: London will get the 2012 olympic games

Written By: Paul on 07/06/05 at 6:57 am

Well, it'll cost us a few bob (and there's still a heck of a lot of work to be done), but we'll try and put on a show for you all...

(Memo to self: Try and get the time off work...the traffic will be murder!)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/06/05 at 9:29 am

Congratulations! (I guess)

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/06/05 at 10:39 am

See you in London in 2012!

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/06/05 at 10:43 am

Congratulations to London and the UK! :) (Though not everybody will be pleased, of course.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 11:37 am

Well, it'll cost us a few bob (and there's still a heck of a lot of work to be done), but we'll try and put on a show for you all...

(Memo to self: Try and get the time off work...the traffic will be murder!)
It could have been worse, the Olympic Stadium could have been constructed in White City instead.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/05 at 11:51 am

Baghdad would have been my top choice.
London's jolly good though!
;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 1:10 pm

May well have to time a trip home to see the Games.

With any luck it will put a boot up the Government's collective arses to get something done about the dysmal state of Sports in the country.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 1:11 pm

May well have to time a trip home to see the Games.

With any luck it will put a boot up the Government's collective arses to get something done about the dysmal state of Sports in the country.
Young children are feeling the inspiration to take up a sport now.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 1:13 pm

Young children are feeling the inspiration to take up a sport now.

Hopefully.

I was also thinking along the lines of equipment. There are less Olympic size swimming pools in EGreat Britain than there are in almost any other country that has taken part in Olympic swimming. There is 3 if i remember correctly.

Wow.. 60 odd million split through three pools  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 1:16 pm

Hopefully.

I was also thinking along the lines of equipment. There are less Olympic size swimming pools in EGreat Britain than there are in almost any other country that has taken part in Olympic swimming. There is 3 if i remember correctly.

Wow.. 60 odd million split through three pools  ;D
Starting forming your construction company now!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 1:19 pm

Starting forming your construction company now!

;D Glad to know i have your Capital Backing Philip

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 1:20 pm

;D Glad to know i have your Capital Backing Philip
...and I will have to pay my bit towards it!

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/06/05 at 2:07 pm

Congratulations London.  I'm so glad it's not here in NY!  Hopefully, they'll put the money it was going to take to build a stadium where it really belongs - in our school system.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 2:09 pm

Congratulations London.  I'm so glad it's not here in NY!  Hopefully, they'll put the money it was going to take to build a stadium where it really belongs - in our school system.
A lot work still has to be done before the building can commence

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/06/05 at 2:13 pm

A lot work still has to be done before the building can commence
So I've heard.  I happen to love the Olympics but it seems ridiculous to have to build stadiums in order to accomodate.  I'm sure your money would also be better spent.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 2:18 pm

So I've heard.  I happen to love the Olympics but it seems ridiculous to have to build stadiums in order to accomodate.  I'm sure your money would also be better spent.
I am looking forward to contributing 38p a week for the next 6 years towards the costs of building etc.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 3:17 pm

...and I will have to pay my bit towards it!

Ah yes, now is it just those who live in London or the whole country that are coughing up a couple quid for it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 3:21 pm

Ah yes, now is it just those who live in London or the whole country that are coughing up a couple quid for it?
From what I gather it the Londoners who are paying, but I have heard you may be able to buy a Lottery Scratch card.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 3:28 pm

From what I gather it the Londoners who are paying, but I have heard you may be able to buy a Lottery Scratch card.

Well that's usefull isn't it. LOL.. have people go out and win 10K or whatever of the olympic fund. I think some sort of Tax would work better.. after the 50 Odd taxes Blair and Brown have introduced another wouldn't make much difference.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 3:30 pm

Well that's usefull isn't it. LOL.. have people go out and win 10K or whatever of the olympic fund. I think some sort of Tax would work better.. after the 50 Odd taxes Blair and Brown have introduced another wouldn't make much difference.
There again, how much will the tickets be to view the events?

Written By: Paul on 07/06/05 at 3:30 pm

I'm sure your money would also be better spent.

Mm...like throwing vast sums of public cash building and 'maintaining' the useless heap of crap that was The Millennium Dome...

I've no qualms (and also no choice!) over coughing up my extra few bob, but it's imperative that it's done right first time...amid all the celebrations, I think that's what all Londoners want...

We shall be watching, Livingstone...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 3:30 pm

There again, how much will the tickets be to view the events?
...it should be free for the Marathon and other long distances races!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 3:31 pm

Mm...like throwing vast sums of public cash building and 'maintaining' the useless heap of crap that was The Millennium Dome...

I've no qualms (and also no choice!) over coughing up my extra few bob, but it's imperative that it's done right first time...amid all the celebrations, I think that's what all Londoners want...

We shall be watching, Livingstone...
I think the Millennium Dome is set up for the gymnastics.

Written By: Paul on 07/06/05 at 3:34 pm

I think the Millennium Dome is set up for the gymnastics.

O-ho! A bit of 'forward thinking' by our Dear Leader?!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 3:36 pm

O-ho! A bit of 'forward thinking' by our Dear Leader?!!

O-ho! A bit of Covering Of A-ss by our Dear leader me thinks

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 3:37 pm

From http://www.london2012.org/en/bid/sport+and+venue+information/

London would provide an unforgettable backdrop

An Olympic Games and Paralympic Games in London would offer a world-class stage to the world's greatest athletes.

The city would provide the most spectacular setting for the 2012 Games, one that captures the moment as gloriously as Barcelona and Sydney have done in the past.

The thrills and spectacle of the annual London Marathon have already made the city's historic and iconic landmarks familiar to millions across the world.

In 2012 they, and the rest of London's glorious cityscape, would provide a backdrop for the greatest show on earth. The World Heritage Site of Greenwich would host equestrian events and the modern pentathlon. Regent's Park would stage the softball and baseball tournaments.

Existing world-class venues, including Wimbleon and Lord's Cricket Ground, would add to the mix. The lake at Eton Dorney, overlooked by Windsor Castle, and the historic Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich would both be used.

And London's unique range of venues would be crowned and complemented by those in the new Olympic Park, including the Olympic Stadium and the Aquatics Centre.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/06/05 at 7:17 pm

Has anybody else heard about the GB Football Team they want to put together. Unsuprisingly the Scots are against it (we're crap and proud) but hopefully they'll get over themselves. I'd like to see a team from the whole of the U.K. Essentially of course it would be the England team with a scot, a welshman and then a couple of the lads from Northern Ireland thrown in, but still... it'd be nice if they could actually compete.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/06/05 at 9:31 pm

Congrads, London!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/07/05 at 1:03 am

I'm so glad it's not here in NY!  Hopefully, they'll put the money it was going to take to build a stadium where it really belongs - in our school system.

Because we all know New York isn't throwing enough money into it's schools.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/05 at 1:06 am

Just annonunced on the news, The Lottery Commission are launching a new Lottery Game in a few weeks time, that is hoped to provided £1.5 billion for the funding of the London Olympics.

Written By: karen on 07/07/05 at 9:43 am

We're hoping to see a boost to the local economy because of the games coming to London.  Apparently several natioanl teams have been looking at the facilities available at Loughborough with a view to setting up training camps here.

Check for new replies or respond here...