inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The CHASE FOR THE NASCAR NEXTEL CUP has officially begun!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/11/05 at 6:43 pm

It's CHASE time, NASCAR fans!
Here are the drivers who made the Chase...
1)Tony Stewart
2)Jimmie Johnson
3)Greg Biffle
4)Rusty Wallace
5)Mark Martin
6)Kurt Busch
7)Jeremy Mayfield
8)Carl Edwards
9)Matt Kenseth
10)Ryan Newman

notice Jeff Gordon is not there hahahahahahahaha        :D ...The #24 got knocked into the wall...and it cost him dearly.

Subject: Re: The CHASE FOR THE NASCAR NEXTEL CUP has officially begun!!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/11/05 at 7:02 pm

i am glad the #2 and the #6 are in simply because they are
old timers.i hate that all these so called young guns are given
the best equiptment without ever having to prove themselves.
hate him if you want but at least gordon had to work his way
to the top.stewart worked his way up the ladder himself but
what about the busch boys, vickers and biffle they were handed
teams that can compete.something that was unheard of in dale sr."s
time.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/11/05 at 7:13 pm

i am glad the #2 and the #6 are in simply because they are
old timers.i hate that all these so called young guns are given
the best equiptment without ever having to prove themselves.
hate him if you want but at least gordon had to work his way
to the top.stewart worked his way up the ladder himself but
what about the busch boys, vickers and biffle they were handed
teams that can compete.something that was unheard of in dale sr."s
time.
Kurt Busch was not just handed what he has..before he was in winston/Nextel cup he raced in the Craftsman Truck series...Kurt Busch was picked by Jack Roush(his team's owner)because he is TALENTED. And Greg Biffle was in the NASCAR Busch Series as well as the Craftsman Truck series...he also earned his ride.

And Tony Stewart raced Indy cars(won the IRL championship in 1997)as well as in USAC(Triple Crown Champion).

Written By: loki 13 on 09/11/05 at 7:28 pm

Kurt Busch was not just handed what he has..before he was in winston/Nextel cup he raced in the Craftsman Truck series...Kurt Busch was picked by Jack Roush(his team's owner)because he is TALENTED. And Greg Biffle was in the NASCAR Busch Series as well as the Craftsman Truck series...he also earned his ride.

And Tony Stewart raced Indy cars(won the IRL championship in 1997)as well as in USAC(Triple Crown Champion).

you misunderstood my point.to be in the nextel cup you
have to have talent.what i was saying is when the older drivers
got to the big show they had to prove they can hang with the
big boys.if you can remember dale earnhardt sr.racing,he would
push rookies out of the way for fun.no matter what series they came from
martin,gordon,wallace and stewart know whats it's like to have to race
to the top not handed top notch equipment.nextel is looking for drivers
they can sell,pretty boys so to speak,thats why all the young guns are
at the top of the sport while good drivers like schrader,marlin,terry labonte
and jeff burton are on the way down.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/11/05 at 8:17 pm

And Kurt Busch proved beyond a doubt that he could be as tough as those older drivers when he won the 2004 Nextel Cup in spite of mechanical failures at tracks like Homestead.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/05 at 9:20 pm

It's CHASE time, NASCAR fans!
Here are the drivers who made the Chase...
1)Tony Stewart
2)Jimmie Johnson
3)Greg Biffle
4)Rusty Wallace
5)Mark Martin
6)Kurt Busch
7)Jeremy Mayfield
8)Carl Edwards
9)Matt Kenseth
10)Ryan Newman

notice Jeff Gordon is not there hahahahahahahaha        :D ...The #24 got knocked into the wall...and it cost him dearly.

It's both sweet and sour for me...Gordon is out but Dale Earnhardt Jr. is out as well :-\\

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/12/05 at 9:40 pm

It's both sweet and sour for me...Gordon is out but Dale Earnhardt Jr. is out as well :-\\
I was sooo tempted to sing the Ren and Stimpy 'happy happy joy joy' song when I found out that Jeff Gordon did not make the Chase...but I did not coz there are some folks who just LOOOOOVE Gordon....and I did not want anyone getting on my case for being a Tony Stewart fan!

I also had hoped that Rusty Wallace would get KO'ed out of the Chase...but I'll hold my thoughts on that one,coz Rusty has a fan on this board!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/13/05 at 5:15 pm

I was sooo tempted to sing the Ren and Stimpy 'happy happy joy joy' song when I found out that Jeff Gordon did not make the Chase...but I did not coz there are some folks who just LOOOOOVE Gordon....and I did not want anyone getting on my case for being a Tony Stewart fan!

I also had hoped that Rusty Wallace would get KO'ed out of the Chase...but I'll hold my thoughts on that one,coz Rusty has a fan on this board!

don't hold back your enthusiasm on account of hurting
someone else's feelings.gloat,bellow and sing that's what
fans do.if anyone can't take it, oh well.the ten guys that are
there deserve it ,the 33 other guys don't.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/13/05 at 6:21 pm

Many of the older drivers have brought the 'young guns' into NASCAR..the late Dale Earnhardt brought not only Dale Jr. but also Kevin Harvick into NASCAR...Tony Stewart has brought JJ Yeley,a driver with an open-wheel racing background like his own,into NASCAR...

I think Bobby Labonte had something to do with Joe Gibbs hiring Tony Stewart.....

Written By: loki 13 on 09/13/05 at 6:41 pm

Many of the older drivers have brought the 'young guns' into NASCAR..the late Dale Earnhardt brought not only Dale Jr. but also Kevin Harvick into NASCAR...Tony Stewart has brought JJ Yeley,a driver with an open-wheel racing background like his own,into NASCAR...

I think Bobby Labonte had something to do with Joe Gibbs hiring Tony Stewart.....

i don't care for the way the sport is going with the young guns.
it really has nothing to do with the drivers,but nascar itself.i would
like to see one no points race with no holds barred.bring a car and
drive.no restrictions.run any aeropackage,any spring package and no
spoiler restrictions and let the best driver and team win.i want to see
this type of race because nascar has been changing rules by the week.
thats what i don't like.

on another note,i don't dislike tony stewart or bobby labonte
it's just that as a die hard Philadelphia Eagles fan i can't pull for
a joe gibbs team.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/16/05 at 6:29 pm

I am also an Eagles fan but I think highly of Joe Gibbs as a coach and most of all as a NASCAR team owner...Gibbs hires the best and most talented drivers for his Nextel Cup team...both Bobby Labonte and Tony Stewart are past champions...and I know both of them will win more championships....It's just that Labonte has had crappy luck as well as a falling-out with former crew chief 'Fatback'McSwain(now Ricky Rudd's crew chief).......

I am absolutely happy that Jeff Gordon is out of the Chase...but really unhappy that his CONCEITED (in my opinion) teammate Jimmie Johnson is in....I think his wife, Chandra, has to do with his uppity(again,in my opinion) attitude.

And sorry, no love lost here for Brian Vickers, either. Kasey Kahne is the better rookie driver,just my opinion.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/16/05 at 10:40 pm

I am also an Eagles fan but I think highly of Joe Gibbs as a coach and most of all as a NASCAR team owner...Gibbs hires the best and most talented drivers for his Nextel Cup team...both Bobby Labonte and Tony Stewart are past champions...and I know both of them will win more championships....It's just that Labonte has had crappy luck as well as a falling-out with former crew chief 'Fatback'McSwain(now Ricky Rudd's crew chief).......

I am absolutely happy that Jeff Gordon is out of the Chase...but really unhappy that his CONCEITED (in my opinion) teammate Jimmie Johnson is in....I think his wife, Chandra, has to do with his uppity(again,in my opinion) attitude.

And sorry, no love lost here for Brian Vickers, either. Kasey Kahne is the better rookie driver,just my opinion.

i have to agree with you on gordons teammates,i don't care too much for them either.

T.S.i.t.M. i have a question for you, i noticed half way through last season and all of
this season that dale jr. and michael waltrip have had a falling out.i know michael is out
of the 15 after this season.dei is adding another car for martin truex jr.leaving the 15
open.last year at daytona and talladega dale jr.went away from michael to draft with
tony.after the race he said he liked drafting with tony and they ran well together.
i don't know tony's contract situation,but any chance tony will be in the 15 car?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/17/05 at 1:48 am

i have to agree with you on gordons teammates,i don't care too much for them either.

T.S.i.t.M. i have a question for you, i noticed half way through last season and all of
this season that dale jr. and michael waltrip have had a falling out.i know michael is out
of the 15 after this season.dei is adding another car for martin truex jr.leaving the 15
open.last year at daytona and talladega dale jr.went away from michael to draft with
tony.after the race he said he liked drafting with tony and they ran well together.
i don't know tony's contract situation,but any chance tony will be in the 15 car?
Tony is not going to go to DEI(who owns Michael Waltrip and the #15 car)......he's quite happy with Joe Gibbs Racing...Dale Jr and Stewart are best friends though...which is why they work together well as far as drafting is concerned.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/17/05 at 6:16 pm

Tony is not going to go to DEI(who owns Michael Waltrip and the #15 car)......he's quite happy with Joe Gibbs Racing...Dale Jr and Stewart are best friends though...which is why they work together well as far as drafting is concerned.

it was just an observation.

don't you just feel sorry vickers,having his car confiscated by NASCAR.
how could they fail inspection 5 times?

Written By: tv on 09/17/05 at 8:54 pm

I have to disgree with you on this yeah last year Vickers wasn't good last and Kahne had a great year last year especially for a rookie. I don't know I don't doubt that Kahne is talented but the results have not been there this year like they were last year. Vickers has definately been running alot better of late.

On a side note while I don't like Jeff Gordon I was shocked his crew chief Robbile Loomis left.

Finally I'm glad Rusty's in the chase. 2003 and 2004 were horrible years by his standards. He actually ran well last year but had rotten luck. Go #2 this weekend!

Written By: tv on 09/17/05 at 9:07 pm

Well Marlin had a couple good years. He did win the Daytona 500 in 1994 and 1995. He finshed 3rd or 4th points in 1995. In 1996 he finshed in the top 10 in points again. A couple years ago he had a shot to win the championship but he crashed in a race and was sidelined for the rest of the year. He went into that race leading the points too. I just think its chemistry problem with the team and with a sponsor like "Coors Light" you would think Marlin would run alot better but he just hasn't. On Terry Labonte it was Labonte's decesion to cut back to a partial schedule this year. Well Jeff Burton remember he left Roush on his own. Again, chemisty was a problem I think. You have to remember when Burton first joined Roush in 1996 he had a great Crew Chief in Buddy Parrot. I mean Buddy Parrot worked for guys like Rusty Wallace and Darrell Waltrip. If you remember right when Parrot worked for Wallace in the last quarter the 1992 season, the whole entire 1993 season and most of 1994 before he left Rusty's team the MGD crew was the fastest crew on Pit road. Parrot also guided Derrike Cope to a win in the 1990 Daytona 500. Scharder really hasn;t had a good ride since he left Hendrick after the 1996 season. Schrader was a top driver from about maybe 1988-1994 in cup racing. He did finish 4th in the points in 1994.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/18/05 at 9:26 am

Well Marlin had a couple good years. He did win the Daytona 500 in 1994 and 1995. He finshed 3rd or 4th points in 1995. In 1996 he finshed in the top 10 in points again. A couple years ago he had a shot to win the championship but he crashed in a race and was sidelined for the rest of the year. He went into that race leading the points too. I just think its chemistry problem with the team and with a sponsor like "Coors Light" you would think Marlin would run alot better but he just hasn't. On Terry Labonte it was Labonte's decesion to cut back to a partial schedule this year. Well Jeff Burton remember he left Roush on his own. Again, chemisty was a problem I think. You have to remember when Burton first joined Roush in 1996 he had a great Crew Chief in Buddy Parrot. I mean Buddy Parrot worked for guys like Rusty Wallace and Darrell Waltrip. If you remember right when Parrot worked for Wallace in the last quarter the 1992 season, the whole entire 1993 season and most of 1994 before he left Rusty's team the MGD crew was the fastest crew on Pit road. Parrot also guided Derrike Cope to a win in the 1990 Daytona 500. Scharder really hasn;t had a good ride since he left Hendrick after the 1996 season. Schrader was a top driver from about maybe 1988-1994 in cup racing. He did finish 4th in the points in 1994.

this is my point,regardless of why they left the multiple car teams
the older drivers can't compete consistently with single car owners.
NASCAR is all about image now,so multiple car owners are hiring young
talent to sell their product.the older drivers,though very talented,are forced
out or to single owner teams.these single teams just don't have the money
or resources to compete consistently.they have to turn                  to roush or hendrick
for their engines and they get very little wind tunnel time.they can't test as
much or at as many tracks.that is why their level of competition is waning.
the young guns are handed the best equiptment in which to compete,
this wasn't the case before the mid 90's.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/18/05 at 6:00 pm

Robby Gordon has sunk to a new low today...throwing his helmet at Michael Waltrip!

Look, I know Tony Stewart has done naughty things IN THE PAST...but Robby never seems to learn his lesson. After all he's the one who radios to his team his intentions to put other drivers out of the race..and brags about it afterwards!!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/18/05 at 6:14 pm

Robby Gordon has sunk to a new low today...throwing his helmet at Michael Waltrip!

Look, I know Tony Stewart has done naughty things IN THE PAST...but Robby never seems to learn his lesson. After all he's the one who radios to his team his intentions to put other drivers out of the race..and brags about it afterwards!!

i agree with you 100%.robby gordon lost his first ride in NASCAR
because of his behavior you would think he would learn his lesson.

on another note,what was up with kurt busch.scott riggs was almost
sideways when he ran into busch,nobody is allowed to get loose around
the almighty busch?

Written By: tv on 09/18/05 at 7:57 pm

I sww Robby's interview after the crash and he shouldn't have said what he said about Michael Waltrip.

Written By: tv on 09/18/05 at 8:03 pm

on another note,what was up with kurt busch.scott riggs was almost
sideways when he ran into busch,nobody is allowed to get loose around
the almighty busch?
What Kurt Busch thought was that it might be payback from what happened in this years Brickyard 400 with Riggs. I'll give Busch credit for this: after the crash he did go talk to the crew chief of Scott Riggs car and I think he did talk to Riggs's crew chief in a calm manor I think. Its not like he took a swing at Riggs's crew chief.

On a side note I saw Kasy Kahne's intrerview after Kyle Busch got into an accident with him and Kahne shouldn't have said what he said either. He tried to take Kyle Busch out of the race after the caution came out for the incident. He said in his interview after the crash with Kyle Busch: he ruined our day so will ruin his day. That was cold of him to say.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/20/05 at 5:36 pm

who is Tony Stewart?
He is a NASCAR Nextel Cup driver... and the 2002 Champion.....If you don't know just who he is get a copy of this week's ESPN Magazine...

I can't believe someone NOT knowing who Tony Stewart is...or even Jeff Gordon..given NASCAR's popularity these days.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/20/05 at 6:25 pm

the fines were handed down and michael waltrip gets fined
for using an obscene gesture during a live broadcast.i really hate
this janet jackson rule,the fcc is too quick to fine broadcast
television for minor things.waltrip's "gesture" was hard to see
and done in the heat of the moment.take out the in-car cameras
and nobody ever would have seen it.

drive around a track at a 190 mph in 100 degree heat and then have
someone try to ram you with 2,000 lb machine.what do you expect him to do?
i,ve seen worse from soccer moms on the highway.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/20/05 at 6:29 pm

the fines were handed down and michael waltrip gets fined
for using an obscene gesture during a live broadcast.i really hate
this janet jackson rule,the fcc is too quick to fine broadcast
television for minor things.waltrip's "gesture" was hard to see
and done in the heat of the moment.take out the in-car cameras
and nobody ever would have seen it.

i,ve seen worse from soccer moms on the highway.
I think Robby Gordon should be fined and suspended for throwing his helmet at Mikey!  I'm glad Mikey gave him the finger...tit for tat.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/20/05 at 6:40 pm

I think Robby Gordon should be fined and suspended for throwing his helmet at Mikey!  I'm glad Mikey gave him the finger...tit for tat.

robby gordon only gets a 25,000 dollar fine and probation for
the rest of the year? your right ,he should have been parked
at least a week.he could care less about the 25 driver points
he isn't racing for anything.

Written By: Skippy on 09/20/05 at 10:38 pm

Cup cars weigh 3500 lbs. They used to weigh 3800 lbs.

robby gordon only gets a 25,000 dollar fine and probation for

R. Gordon was fined $25,000 for throwing his helmet + $10,000 for calling M. Waltrip a piece of $#*%. He was also docked 50 pts.

Kasey Kahne was also fined $25,000 and docked 25 pts. for intentionally ramming Kurt Busch because of an earlier incident.

M. Waltrip was fined $10,000 and docked 25 pts.

I'll keep my personal thoughts and opinions about the current condition of NASCAR and it's competitors to myself.  ::)

Written By: loki 13 on 09/21/05 at 7:42 pm

Cup cars weigh 3500 lbs. They used to weigh 3800 lbs.

R. Gordon was fined $25,000 for throwing his helmet + $10,000 for calling M. Waltrip a piece of $#*%. He was also docked 50 pts.

Kasey Kahne was also fined $25,000 and docked 25 pts. for intentionally ramming Kurt Busch because of an earlier incident.

M. Waltrip was fined $10,000 and docked 25 pts.

I'll keep my personal thoughts and opinions about the current condition of NASCAR and it's competitors to myself.  ::)

the weight of the car is not that important,you get the message.

according to nascar.com robby gordon was docked 25 driver points
james smith was docked 25 owner points.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/25/05 at 7:16 pm

I just got home from Dover Delaware what a traffic nightmare.
it was a great day to be at the race,sunny not too hot and Kurt
Busch did not win.The only problem with being there was I didn't
know what happened to Jr's car early or why Tony Stewart really
didn't challenge all day,because Tony usually runs real well at Dover.

Written By: tv on 09/25/05 at 10:54 pm

Well my favorite driver Rusty Wallace got a 3rd place finish today. He is second in the points and only 7 points behind points leader Jimmie Johnson. I was real happy for Kyle Petty for finishing 7th today too. It was good to see Kyle run up there again.

Written By: Kenlos on 09/26/05 at 1:25 pm

My driver Mark Martin finished 4th.  Definitly should have finished higher and should have contented for the win and probably would have if it had not been for that bonehead move of only taking two tires on that last pit stop.  Not sure what they were thinking.  On to Talladega next week.  Big key there is just staying out of trouble.

Written By: tv on 10/02/05 at 11:11 pm

Rusty Wallace finsishing 25th today at Talladega was dissapointing. His whole career he has one Top 5 finsh at Talladega and thats it back in 1988. Hey other guys in the chase had trouble today..Kurt Busch, Jimmie Johnson, Greg Bifile( Ithink), and Mark Martin. Other chase contenders: Tony Stewart finished 2nd, Matt Kenseth and Carl Edwards finished in the top 5 I think.

Another bone to pick: this bump drafting stuff at Talladga has to stop and its getting ridiculous. I mean I saw Scott Riggs flip his #10 car and that crash was violent. I am against this stuff at Daytona and Talladega where the cars run so close together. They didn;t run that close together during a long period of green flags laps until 1996. In 1994 the racing at plate tracks(Daytona and Talladega) at least the bad handling cars when to the back of the field during a long green flag run of laps.

NASCAr goes to Kansas next week and no restrictor plates!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/08/05 at 8:49 pm

I think my fave Tony Stewart is gonna get his second NASCAR championship this year(his first was in 2002) ..I don't think Jimmie Johnson will get the championship this year because of all the problems he's had...

Check for new replies or respond here...