inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NASCAR = Pure. Suckage.

Written By: Your Mother on 10/21/05 at 7:00 pm

Buncha crotch-scratchin' hicks, if ya ask me!  >:(

Drive fast, go left--doesn't take that much talent, people.

Subject: Re: NASCAR = Pure. Suckage.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/21/05 at 7:03 pm

I wouldn't say that around here...  :o

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 7:25 pm

Oh brother...not like I care much about your opinion. I choose to chalk it up to your opinion. Which will never change the fact I am a NASCAR fan...or that NASCAR is here to stay.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/21/05 at 7:38 pm

If it's so easy, then why aren't you out there in the hunt for the Nextel Cup, making millions of dollars?

What's your real name? I look forward to watching your rookie season next year, and everyone will marvel at how you're such a great driver that you were able to bypass the Crafstman Trucks and Busch Series and go straight to the Nextel Cup level, right off the street, without any prior experience.

I'll be your biggest fan.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 7:51 pm

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah...I've heard it all before...I'm laughing my a$$ off at what you think of NASCAR...Did you ever stop and consider:

That a NASCAR Nextel Cup driver can earn for ONE race, more than you will earn in one year at your job

That NASCAR drivers and fans are NOT 'crotch scratchin' hicks...How does,I ask you, a 'crotch scratchin' hick have the $$$$$$$ to
Own a Lamborgini(Tony Stewart)and own a custom motorcycle(Tony Stewart) as well as owning a dirt-racing track(Tony Stewart does!) and have a CUSTOM MOTORHOME worth $100,000(Almost all NASCAR drivers)
Your own nightclub in your basement(Dale Earnhardt Jr) and a collection of Harley-Davidson's(Dale Earnhardt Jr.)and a REAL boxing ring in your house(Dale Earnhardt Jr.)..

and how do you think us,crotch scratchin' hicks in your opinion, get tickets to a race..NOT BY A WELFARE CHECK! It's expensive,those tickets...and motel rooms...and just GETTING to a race...

And by the way,could you even CONTROL a car going over 150 mph? Keep it on the asphalt through those turns...I bet you'd be extremely CHICKEN to do it!! There are skills involved in NASCAR that go beyond just the ability to drive a car...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 7:55 pm

If it's so easy, then why aren't you out there in the hunt for the Nextel Cup, making millions of dollars?

What's your real name? I look forward to watching your rookie season next year, and everyone will marvel at how you're such a great driver that you were able to bypass the Crafstman Trucks and Busch Series and go straight to the Nextel Cup level, right off the street, without any prior experience.

I'll be your biggest fan.
He'd at least need several Dramamine pills....I'd even love to see the poster who started this thread have the GUTS to even do a ride-along via the Richard Petty Driving Experience fan ride.

Written By: limblifter on 10/21/05 at 7:56 pm

Doesn't take that much talent, yet there they are making millions of dollars. And here you are making retarded statements like that on an internet message board. I'm sure deep down inside they want to be just like you though ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 7:59 pm

I doubt the poster who started this thread would have the COURAGE to say what he said to a Nextel Cup driver...If he said it to someone like Kevin Harvick or Tony Stewart...let's say it would not be a pleasant experience for him...

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/21/05 at 8:00 pm

He'd at least need several Dramamine pills....I'd even love to see the poster who started this thread have the GUTS to even do a ride-along via the Richard Petty Driving Experience fan ride.
Speaking of that, TonyS...I'm going to my first NASCAR race next year, at Kansas Speedway. I've been wanting to go to a NASCAR race since I was a little kid.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 8:02 pm

Speaking of that, TonyS...I'm going to my first NASCAR race next year, at Kansas Speedway. I've been wanting to go to a NASCAR race since I was a little kid.
Cool...I'm gonna start getting the plans together to go to the first Dover race next June.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 9:29 pm

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblah..........yes your statement shows what a narrow-minded person..who believes in STEREOTYPES..you are.

You probably don't even watch any kind of racing...it all probably 'goes round and round in circles' too much for you!

I hope you fall in love with a significant other who LOVES NASCAR....that would really get your goat!

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/05 at 9:32 pm

Who asked you?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/22/05 at 1:49 am

I went to one NASCAR style race in NC.  It was the most boring experience of my life.

However, to drive that fast in that confined a space does take a lot of talent that I do not possess.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/22/05 at 3:45 am

I went to one NASCAR style race in NC.  It was the most boring experience of my life.

However, to drive that fast in that confined a space does take a lot of talent that I do not possess.
Have you ever seen a NASCAR race at Watkins Glen or Infineon..they are both ROAD COURSES. Very different from the tracks they usually race at...Many of the NASCAR Nextel Cup drivers have raced in other kinds of racing...but, here in America, NASCAR is racing...and NASCAR is 'big bucks' especially if a driver wins races or places in the Top Ten...and when they become a champion, they make more money...also they get money from doing commercials and the memorabilia that fans like myself buy...such as die-cast replicas of NASCAR race cars, as well as t-shirts, hats, pennants, window clings, posters, watches, keychains...

Written By: Apricot on 10/22/05 at 4:19 pm

Beth, is that you?

Written By: Skippy on 10/22/05 at 10:39 pm

I used to be a fan of NASCAR, not now. I watched when it was about pride, sportsmanship, respect, and tradition. Now it's just so much corporate hype and the rules are borderline ridiculous. As far as sponsorship, anything goes..sex, booze, if it sells tickets well then by all means put it on a fender or hood. The "stock" cars these days are little more than spec racers. Shocks & springs are regulated, all cars have to be aerodynamically equal, teams can't choose which tire to run, any ingenuity of the teams is met with fines and/or suspensions. It was that same ingenuity that got them where they are today.The France family has totally ruined it(NASCAR) for me, same as they ruined the 24 hours of Daytona by replacing racing prototype with a spec-class racer. It's just too political for me to enjoy recently. I also feel that the driver's and teams are only being used to fill the pockets of the France family dictatorship, I guess one will sell their soul, or life, for the right price. The last race I attended was the 1996 Brickyard 400(it was free).
  I now watch a lot of open wheel(both dirt and pavement), but always did before. I also enjoy European Saloon racing, Australian V8 supercar, IHRA, FIM World Superbike(Those dudes are just nuts), FIA Formula-1, CASCAR, SCCA road racing, & LeMans. I also try to catch the Monterey Historics and Goodwood Festival of Speed. There's just too much more out there for me to waste my time watching a NASCAR race. Right now I'm watching NHRA.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/23/05 at 6:04 am

I used to be a fan of NASCAR, not now. I watched when it was about pride, sportsmanship, respect, and tradition. Now it's just so much corporate hype and the rules are borderline ridiculous. As far as sponsorship, anything goes..sex, booze, if it sells tickets well then by all means put it on a fender or hood. The "stock" cars these days are little more than spec racers. Shocks & springs are regulated, all cars have to be aerodynamically equal, teams can't choose which tire to run, any ingenuity of the teams is met with fines and/or suspensions. It was that same ingenuity that got them where they are today.The France family has totally ruined it(NASCAR) for me, same as they ruined the 24 hours of Daytona by replacing racing prototype with a spec-class racer. It's just too political for me to enjoy recently. I also feel that the driver's and teams are only being used to fill the pockets of the France family dictatorship, I guess one will sell their soul, or life, for the right price. The last race I attended was the 1996 Brickyard 400(it was free).
  I now watch a lot of open wheel(both dirt and pavement), but always did before. I also enjoy European Saloon racing, Australian V8 supercar, IHRA, FIM World Superbike(Those dudes are just nuts), FIA Formula-1, CASCAR, SCCA road racing, & LeMans. I also try to catch the Monterey Historics and Goodwood Festival of Speed. There's just too much more out there for me to waste my time watching a NASCAR race. Right now I'm watching NHRA.
Guess what....I still like NASCAR, no matter how imperfect it may be. I grew up watching it. Yes it's changed. But I think some of the changes were made to make NASCAR 'media-friendly'....NBC was a major player in instituting the 'Chase for the Nextel Cup' format....And I don't think that the France family really pockets any of the drivers' money...many of the rules NASCAR has now are to give teams parity, therefore making it the drivers and pit crews that determine whether a team wins or loses....

A lot of drivers don't like the playoff format and/or the stricter rules..but they know that NASCAR won't change what works for them and the media....

Written By: Kenlos on 10/23/05 at 5:36 pm

I tend to agree.  If it wasn't for Mark Martin still running I probably wouldn't be watching anymore either.  I am only 22 so I wasn't around to see the good ol' days but I do know that compared to even 10+ years ago its not the same sport.  It enjoyed watching it back then and before then but now I do not enjoy the races hardly at all.  Half the time on the races that Mark falls out of I quit watching as he is pretty much all I watch for anymore.  So once he retires at the end of this year or end of next year I will probably stop watching Nextel Cup all together.  Though I will still follow Mark in the Craftsman Truck Series as long as he is running it.  Plus also one thing you didn't mention is Nascar car getting rid of all the fun unique tracks over recent years, like Rockingham and now Darlington with all its history is on the chopping block.  If it was me I would get rid of some of those cookie cutter tracks like Kansas, Texas and so on.  Only two tracks I would keep shaped like that are Atlanta (because of its history of great races and plus its the fastest track) and Charlotte (for obvious reasons), still Charlotte to me I refuse to call it "Lowe's".  In cities in Texas, California, Kansas, Las Vegas and in Chicago if they want races they should build unique tracks to add some variety to the schedule instead of running at the same style track over and over again.

As for the person saying it takes no talent, I would like to see you get out there and run one of those cars out there for several laps and if you still come back saying that its easy and takes no talent then I will personally put myself in dept to buy and build you a race car because if I comes that easy to you then I should be a millionaire in no time.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/23/05 at 7:09 pm

I still like Nextel Cup..but it's sad that the older tracks like Darlington are losing race dates..but I think it's because some of those tracks don't do a better job of maintaining the track surfaces(look at all the cautions that happen because of torn-up tires yes that can be caused by badly maintained track surfaces)...look at what happened at last year's first Martinsville race..the race had to be red-flagged to fix the crumbling surface ....and fans(as well as drivers and pit crews) are demanding better accomodations at tracks. Has anyone here thought of racetrack accomodations possibly NOT being accessible to physically challenged people..remember there's ADA...The racetracks would benefit if they improved the conditions for everyone..drivers, pit crews, broadcast crews, and the fans...the tracks that fall behind in accomodations are at fault too.

No..NASCAR is not perfect. But neither is any other sport when one thinks about it. That same 'phasing out' happens to baseball and football stadiums...and newer(as well as more accessible and safer)stadiums with better amenities take their place.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/23/05 at 7:12 pm

I still like Nextel Cup..but it's sad that the older tracks like Darlington are losing race dates..but I think it's because some of those tracks don't do a better job of maintaining the track surfaces(look at all the cautions that happen because of torn-up tires yes that can be caused by badly maintained track surfaces)...look at what happened at last year's first Martinsville race..the race had to be red-flagged to fix the crumbling surface ....and fans(as well as drivers and pit crews) are demanding better accomodations at tracks. Has anyone here thought of racetrack accomodations possibly NOT being accessible to physically challenged people..remember there's ADA...The racetracks would benefit if they improved the conditions for everyone..drivers, pit crews, broadcast crews, and the fans...the tracks that fall behind in accomodations are at fault too.

No..NASCAR is not perfect. But neither is any other sport when one thinks about it. That same 'phasing out' happens to baseball and football stadiums...and newer(as well as more accessible and safer)stadiums with better amenities take their place.
hey I'm just a fan..many sports honestly don't listen all that much to what fans think. Same for those who are playing in those sports...it's seriously about MONEY now.

Written By: Kenlos (guest) on 10/23/05 at 7:36 pm

Yeah but taht is different for example in baseball the only two baseball fields that I have been sad to see go is Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium and Tiger Field.  But the loss of the others has no effect on me and for most teams the only stadium change that might bug them would be the historical stadiums and their own teams stadium (same goes for Football and so on).  But, with Nascar its different you favorite driver goes to every track so as a fan you have a connection to pretty much every track so when you see one go especially ones like Darlington and Rockingham it bothers more people.  Especially when those were more of the unique tracks and they change those races to other Texas and California tracks which just means more cookie cutter tracks which makes the racing less interesting in my opnion.

Written By: Skippy on 10/23/05 at 11:55 pm

as a fan you have a connection to pretty much every track so when you see one go especially ones like Darlington and Rockingham it bothers more people

I've been watching since the late 60's. Along with Darlington and Rockingham I also remember  Riverside, Ontario & North Wilksboro, I remember Watkins Glenn before the chicane was installed on the backstretch. It's the diversity in the tracks and surfaces that makes great racing and brings out the great drivers. Martinsville has always had problems with crumbling, which is why the corners are concrete. It's part of what makes it Martinsville. Darlington, with it's egg shaped circuit and narrow lanes. I remember when the cars would rub the guardrail and make a clickity-clack noise. Bristol with it's high bank and high speed for a 1/2 mile track, let's hope it doesn't get the axe.
  Bill Elliott's 210 mph lap at Daytona wasn't made by "parity". It was skill, hard work, and innovation and all within the rules, and only made the other teams dig deeper, which is what automobile racing is founded on.
  I also remember watching Parnelli Jones and the USAC stock car series racing at the road course in Clermont, IN. I believe it was called the Champion Spark Plug 200.
  Yes I do miss those days. Hmmm, maybe I'll watch an FIA WRC race next.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/24/05 at 5:37 pm

I know I am coming to this thread late and the Author
probably won't be back but here is my response.
I hear this comment often "NASCAR drivers are not athletes
and you don't need talent to drive in circles."Most people,
who are not fans,don't realize the physical condition these
drivers have to be in.The G-Forces that pound the body for
three to four hours,especially at tracks like Dover.The heat
they endure inside the cars and the concentration level they
keep for the race.There is a reason you don't see big fat guys
driving race cars.On a final note, when was the last time
you drove 500 miles straight at normal speed let alone
at 190 MPH

Written By: Skippy on 10/24/05 at 9:05 pm

You bet your hiney they're athletes. In-car temperatures are much higher than say a 3 decades ago because there is so much more emphasis on aerodynamics. Very little outside air enters the cockpit. The floor temps reach high temps becuase the exhaust runs up against it. So all that heat gets trapped in the drivers area. Yes, they have cool suits, but that's only a minor improvement and if the suit fails it gets even hotter because the cooling fluid heats up. It's more endurance training than bulking up with muscle, much like a runner or bicyclist, with emphasis on neck muscles.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/24/05 at 9:19 pm

And those who think it's so easy to drive a NASCAR stock car probably don't realize that those races last up to six hours sometimes...very few breaks to get any kind of hydration or nutrition to help keep a driver going...And drivers have to be 'sharp as a tack' mentally and physically for the duration...If they don't they could end up in a wreck that costs them more than just a decent finish...they could end up with major injuries like Jerry Nadeau did...or end up like the late Dale Earnhardt, Kenny Irwin, Adam Petty(Kyle Petty's son RIP).....certainly NOT, despite what a misinformed few think, a leisurely drive by any means....

And Tony Stewart is claustrophobic....try handling that like he does in the close confines of a race car's cockpit!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/24/05 at 9:23 pm

BTW I'd love to know what the person who started this thread thinks of NHRA drag racing...probably 'some fool going 300 some miles an hour going one way' or 'role models for illegal street racers'..

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/24/05 at 9:25 pm

I guess people don't understand gearheads like me who love NASCAR...so be it. Different strokes for different folks,whatever floats your boat...

Written By: Skippy on 10/24/05 at 10:33 pm

No offense to TSITM, but NHRA is one of my top favorites. Just imagine, 0 mph to 330+mph in just 1320 ft. and in about 4.5 seconds. Or from a dead stop to 100 mph in under a second. All from a 500 c.i. 7,000 hp nitro burning engine. That'll sink your eyballs back into their sockets.
  NHRA Pro Stock is my sport. The car bodies have to be within about a tenth of an inch of what the factory turns out. A typical field of 16 is generally separated by hundreths of a second from first to 16th qualifier and races are typically won by thousandths of a second. 1200 hp from a 500 c.i. engine(Yes, that's the same displacement as the nitro engine).
  The whole meet is an event. 4 classes, 16 car(or bike) fields each, 4 rounds of eliminations per class. Every ticket is a pit pass. You get to watch the teams at work between rounds, maybe even talk to them or the driver. Everybody is super nice. Many people camp out all weekend. It's a very social thing. My local event,the U.S. Nationals run 6 days so you have plenty of time to make aquantences, party, camp, and whatever. You can get nitro fumes up your nose too, wow that burns, hehe.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/25/05 at 6:17 pm

No offense to TSITM, but NHRA is one of my top favorites. Just imagine, 0 mph to 330+mph in just 1320 ft. and in about 4.5 seconds. Or from a dead stop to 100 mph in under a second. All from a 500 c.i. 7,000 hp nitro burning engine. That'll sink your eyballs back into their sockets.
  NHRA Pro Stock is my sport. The car bodies have to be within about a tenth of an inch of what the factory turns out. A typical field of 16 is generally separated by hundreths of a second from first to 16th qualifier and races are typically won by thousandths of a second. 1200 hp from a 500 c.i. engine(Yes, that's the same displacement as the nitro engine).
  The whole meet is an event. 4 classes, 16 car(or bike) fields each, 4 rounds of eliminations per class. Every ticket is a pit pass. You get to watch the teams at work between rounds, maybe even talk to them or the driver. Everybody is super nice. Many people camp out all weekend. It's a very social thing. My local event,the U.S. Nationals run 6 days so you have plenty of time to make aquantences, party, camp, and whatever. You can get nitro fumes up your nose too, wow that burns, hehe.
Yeah, NHRA is cool too. But I'm lucky I can talk my TV addicted roommate into letting me watch NASCAR races....
I'm just as much 'addicted' to tech stuff as roomie is to TV btw.

Written By: Dukefan on 10/26/05 at 3:22 am

AGREED 100%

NASCAR has became too commercial for my tastes.  I use to be a die-hard fan (being from North Carolina and all  ;)) but now I can't stand it.  

The new drivers don't race just to be racing anymore...there just in it for the money.  Turn on the TV and its guranteed you'll see some sort of commercial with a Nascar driver in it...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/26/05 at 12:45 pm

To answer Dukefan...almost ALL sports are about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ anymore. Baseball, football, soccer, golf, tennis, hockey, basketball....even volleyball and figure skating are big bucks sports now...and I don't forsee it changing anytime soon.

YES I still love NASCAR...but I have resigned myself to the fact that NASCAR as well as football are big money sports and neither the NASCAR brass and team owners nor the NFL and it's team owners and  some players will never listen to the fans...and it most likely will stay that way.

Check for new replies or respond here...