inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who will win the World Series?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 8:05 pm

Who will win the World Series?

Subject: Re: Who will win the World Series?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/21/05 at 8:30 pm

Hopefully Chicago.

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/05 at 8:50 pm

It'd be nice to see the ChiSox win  :)

Written By: PaperGirl on 10/21/05 at 10:11 pm

Be nice to see the Astros win....  ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 11:10 pm

Go WHITE SOX!!

Written By: nally on 10/22/05 at 1:15 am

I hope the White Sox win it. ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/22/05 at 1:47 am

Quite honestly, I think the White Sox will win.  They have comparable pitching and a more potent offense.  Should be interesting though.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/22/05 at 7:49 am

Gotta go for the White Sox

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/05 at 12:05 pm

White Sox

Cat

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/22/05 at 6:46 pm

I think the national media has romantsized the history of the White Sox and has a lot of people picking for the more media friendly Chicago White Sox.   

Personally, I don't give a rats ass about Shoeless Joe Jackson, the White Sox or Black Sox should I say scandal of 1919 or anything else about Chicago. 

It's not our fault they threw a game back then, and I don't care if they haven't won in 88 years.  We've never won ever before.  The Astros have had more then their share of misery.

Astros will win.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/22/05 at 9:51 pm

Go 'Stros!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/22/05 at 11:37 pm

Here's an interesting scenario:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2200483

The computer in this simulation predicts Astros in 7.  As we all know, the Astros lost game 1.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/23/05 at 12:12 am

Go Sox!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/23/05 at 1:44 am

An interesting article on why the Astros lost a winnable game...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=second/guessing/2005/051022

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/23/05 at 6:26 am

^Phil Garner is a nice guy and he is an incredible team motivator, but he is often very miserable on game strategy.  Sometimes he puts his faith and loyalty to his players above what's neccessary to win the game.  There were times in Game 1 that I was screaming at my TV set, because I did not understand why Garner made certain choices.  Even catcher Brad Ausmus had this "wtf is going on here" attitude when he looked to the dugout wondering why the 'Stros weren't walking Aaron Rowand.  That was a very winnable game that the Astros lost, they were competitive and the game stayed close through the late innings.  The only thing I can hope for is that the 'Stros realize that the White Sox are a very beatable team, and they just attack the hell out of them.  It's too bad about Roger Clemens too.

I'm sensing something very bad out of Phil Garner and him not using his best players in Game 1, he seems to be thinking of an extended series (Why else is Roy Oswalt starting in Game 3 at Minute Maid Park?  So he can be saved for Game 7), Garner seems to be walking around with an attitude of "hey we'll come back from the dead and beat these guys".  That only works so many times, before you wind up staying dead.  The Astros will win at least 2 of the 3 games at Minute Maid Park, that's money, they need Roy Oswalt on the tougher road games in my opinion.  And wtf is the reason for a guy like Wandy Rodriquez pitching in the World Series anyway?  Most Astros fans NEVER even heard of Wandy Rodriguez before.  I was like, who the hell is this dude?  Terrible decisions there by Phil Garner. 

-Chris 

Written By: PaperGirl on 10/23/05 at 12:46 pm

EXACTLY!

Im so tired of everyone kvetching that the Sox deserve to win cause they havent won since whenever....hell, just like you said, we have NEVER won! 

And Garner, I told my husband last night, I was gonna call Phil today, and yell at him... :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/23/05 at 2:37 pm

The Sox are definitely beatable, but so are the Astros, as you've seen.  There's no reason to not give credit to the Sox for taking advantage of Garner's stupidity.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/23/05 at 7:16 pm

Game 2 is started on time despite rain. GO WHITE SOX!!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/23/05 at 8:07 pm

I gotta admit, the White Sox are a damned good team.  Not that I want it, but there would be no shame losing to these guys. 

But I still have faith in my Astros.  They'll find a way to get it done, and they have every chance of beating the Sox.  Sox are not invincible.  I wish there were more 'Stros supporters nationally, every message board you go to, the Sox supporters overwhelm like 10 to 3.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/24/05 at 1:22 am

^ Probably because the White Sox have more history and Chicago is a larger media market than Houston.  Otherwise I don't think that the White Sox fans are any better than Astros fans (no offense). 

So how'd Garner screw this game up?  The Astros were winning when I checked last, and had tied the game going into the bottom of the ninth.  I guess the Sox are better than most people expected.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/24/05 at 1:41 am

Brad Lidge choked up home run to Scott Podsednick, a guy that didn't hit a home run all season long.  'When you give up a homer to Albert Pujols everyone understands that because he's Albert Pujols,....but Scott Podsednick?  Scott Podsednick is the guy that carries the luggage around for his team. Brad Lidge has been thought of as the best closer in ALL of major league baseball, but now Lidge seems to definately be rattled. 

That was a shocking loss, I was so sure the Astros were going to win that game.  I didn't blame Lidge at all for the Pujols home run in Game 5 of the NLCS, my feeling was that stuff like that happens, and that a team wins together and loses together..  But I think Lidge needs to take a lot of the blame for this one.  Scott Podsednick is no Albert Pujols.  The team as a whole did blow a great chance to win that game.  The Sox are an amazing team though, I won't deny that.  But amazingly talented teams are made to be beaten, just ask the Braves and Cardinals.  It's also so frustrating when you see how close the 'Stros were to beating them in both Game 1 and 2.  Damn frustrating, they had the Sox on the ropes...and then...well you know how it turned out.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/24/05 at 1:45 pm

I think that if they had brought in Lidge or even Wheeler to face Konerko before that grand slam, it would have made a world of difference.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 2:50 pm

Chicago White Sox

Written By: Ophrah on 10/24/05 at 2:51 pm

I'm so happy, I turned on the TV 10 seconds before that slammer.  Excellent!

Written By: TarzSp on 10/24/05 at 3:56 pm

Well, the White Sox did throw the 1919 World Series intentionally to my Cincinnati Reds, so I guess the White Sox have my sympathy this time around

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/24/05 at 5:57 pm

Chicago.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/24/05 at 10:06 pm

Scott Podsednik getting that home run off of Lidge was way cool!

8)  Tomorrow night it's in Houston.... :D

GO SOX!!!

Written By: joedeertae on 10/26/05 at 8:25 am

We are down 3/0 now but I still say the Astros can pull it off. By no means an easy task but at the same time not at all imposable.
GO ASTROS!!!

Written By: PaperGirl on 10/26/05 at 9:06 am

Did you watch that whole game? 

OMG...I gotta say..for all those people who keep telling me that the Sox will win....

I'm finding it highly amusing that the players scoring your winning runs, in the wee end of the games, arent your best...and are the ones, (at least according to our announcers) that the Sox basically wrote off near the end of the season..

AND...that the Sox pretty much have to fight and fight untill the very end to pull the win out. 

IF Houston goes down..its not for lack of effort, skill, trying, grit and determination.

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 9:10 am

astros. go astros.

it sucked, one of my workmates is big into chicago and the night of game 2 i heard on the radio is was the 8th inning and houston was up like 4-0 or something so i went in the next day on the assumption they had won, only to hear from said workmate that chicago got a grand slam like five minutes later.

curses!

it's just awesome the astros made it. i lived in houston for the first ten years of my life and i've always been waiting for the town to pull in any victoriesof national note other than putting not-terribly-good presidents in the white house.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/26/05 at 11:54 am

I agree, Houston IS making it difficult and the players scoring the winning runs aren't the best, but it doesn't matter WHO scores the runs, just that they're scored ;)

Houston should be the one up 3-0, honestly.  The ChiSox are benefitting from all the opportunities the Houston manager is giving them.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/26/05 at 12:13 pm

An article about all the things that the manager did wrong, including ripping on his team for not hitting in Game 3...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Arduv7o_OUs2fc3u.uxvOSg5nYcB?slug=cnnsi-notmyfault&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Written By: STAR70 on 10/26/05 at 3:52 pm

Go WHITE SOX!!

they certainly have the support of the umpires

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/27/05 at 8:55 am

they certainly have the support of the umpires

Let's see.. in the NLCS of the 18 messed up calls, 15 went to the Astros, 3 to the Cardinals.
Pretty much the same in the series against the Braves.

The calls were actually split in the world series.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/27/05 at 9:01 am

who are the Barves ??? ;) ;D

Chattanooga Barves

Written By: Skippy on 10/27/05 at 10:32 am

I think Houston can still win the next 3  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/27/05 at 5:59 pm

Even after the "ball hit dirt" play, they could still have thrown out the baserunner on the steal to second, and Crede still had to hit the double.

Even after Dye got hit by the pitch, Konerko still had to hit the grand slam.

The umpires didn't lose the games for the Sox opponents.  The Sox simply took advantage of the situation while the other team, instead of sucking it up, whined and lost focus. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/27/05 at 6:28 pm

no, had the infamous "ball hit dirt" been corrctly called, that's the 3rd out of the inning, no stolen base, no game winning double.

The replay was inconclusive at best.  Even after the stolen base, they still could have gotten Crede out.  They didn't.  The call didn't lose the game for the Angels. 

had the Pierzcynsk interference call been called correctly, Angels get bases loaded, 1 out with 2002 ALCS MVP Adam Kennedy at bat.

How do you know Kennedy wouldn't have grounded into a legit double play?

Of course I would never accuse the Grand and Noble Chicago White Sox of doing anything as devious as bribiing the umpires

They didn't have to, the whining of the other teams did them in.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/27/05 at 10:52 pm

no, had the infamous "ball hit dirt" been corrctly called, that's the 3rd out of the inning, no stolen base, no game winning double.

had the Pierzcynsk interference call been called correctly, Angels get bases loaded, 1 out with 2002 ALCS MVP Adam Kennedy at bat.

Of course I would never accuse the Grand and Noble Chicago White Sox of doing anything as devious as bribiing the umpires
The White Sox won. You might as well live with it..until NEXT season. Congrats White Sox for sweeping the Houston Astros and winning the World Series.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/27/05 at 10:54 pm

Hit's in to a double play, inning over  ;)

Written By: STAR70 on 10/28/05 at 5:11 pm

The White Sox won. You might as well live with it..until NEXT season. Congrats White Sox for sweeping the Houston Astros and winning the World Series.

...then we may as well congratulate GW Bush for "winning" the election of 2000.

Not that I would ever accuse a certain conservative Southern governor of doing anything so devious as rigging an election on behalf of his brother

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/28/05 at 7:00 pm

To STAR70..the Astros screwed up. And the White Sox are the champs. The Astros will always have a chance to win the World Series....any MLB team will have the chance...

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/28/05 at 7:21 pm

...then we may as well congratulate GW Bush for "winning" the election of 2000.

Not that I would ever accuse a certain conservative Southern governor of doing anything so devious as rigging an election on behalf of his brother

;D

Ok.. so that was good.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/28/05 at 7:51 pm

really?if the ball DID hit the dirt, there would have at least been some dust getting-kicked up. the replay showed absolute no dust getting kicked up-- not that the replay would matter anyway as replay reviw is NOT allowed in MLB. 

But it also showed the ball in a very bad angle in which it might have been trapped or caught cleanly, we don't know for sure.  As for the scuffing, we can't tell because the backup catcher assumed it was out and tossed the ball away, thus removing it as evidence at that moment.  Regardless, the Angels could have thrown out the baserunner, they could have thrown something else at Crede instead of a freaking down-the-middle fastball, they could have walked Crede and taken their chances with Uribe, who is not as good of a hitter...any number of things.  At the time, the game was tied, and the White Sox took advantage of a questionable call while the Angels simmered and lost focus.  Game over.

or hit a grand slam, for that matter, as Kennedy hit 3 HR's in game 5 of the 2002 ALCS and recieved the MVP. it should be up to the PLAYERS to decide the game.

Didn't happen, did it?  Sure, the bases would have been loaded.  But that creates a force play at home and a potential inning-ending double play situation as well.  It could go either way.  I guess we will never find out.

be specific--name anyone on the ANGELS' staff who was "whining" 

I was talking about the Astros.  The Angels actually handled it very well, even though they were screwed.  Regardless of the bad calls though, they could still have won.  They just didn't.

I think you have to stop being such a sore loser and deal with the fact that the Sox were the best team this postseason.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/28/05 at 7:53 pm

with the Angels' pen, I would have liked their chances!!!

Was that before or after a couple of the Angels' starters were knocked out early?

yes, runner on 1st and 3rd, 1 out. with the correct interference call on Pierczynski, Finley takes 1st, the runner already there goes to 2nd, the runner on 3rd stays there. bases loaded, 1 out for Kennedy

See above. 

they didn't have to, what with all of the support they had from the umps

They didn't need the umps, they dominated the Angels.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/29/05 at 10:29 am

I think the Astros were just tired emotionally, physically and mentally by the time they got to the World Series.  There was the hard series with the Atlanta Braves and the grueling 18 inning game, then there was the St. Louis Cardinals, who had the best record in MLB.  The Astros took a 3-1 lead, and then were punched in the gut by Albert Pujols homer, they had to come back from that and go to St. Louis and beat the Cardinals on the road.  Then they finally get to the World Series.  Getting there took so much out of them, losing Roger Clemens was especially tough.  They couldn't get to seem to get a hit if their lives depended on it.  It made me really miss Carlos Beltran and Jeff Kent. 

As I've said before, the White Sox were the better team, and the more talented team.  But it hurt so much seeing how close the Astros were to winning all 4 games, and that's with them being so tired and listless.  Brandon Backe gave an amazing pitching performance in Game 4, and that was all wasted.  I really wanted the Astros to win, so we could stick it to the national media who kept unfairly favoring Chicago anyways.  Oh well, there's always next year.  But who knows when the 'Stros could ever get back to the World Series.  Unless you're the Yankees, many teams (like the Astros themselves) go years or decades inbetween World Series apperances.   

Written By: PaperGirl on 10/29/05 at 2:42 pm

You said it so well.  Thank you.  :)

Written By: STAR70 on 10/29/05 at 2:56 pm

The Angels actually handled it very well, even though they were screwed. 
over and over again

not that I would accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of doing anything as devoius as bribing the umpires onto making controversial call in their favor over and over again.

I think you have to stop being such a sore loser and deal with the fact that the Sox were the best team this postseason.

ANY team, with the support of the umpires, who be the best team of any postseason

Not that I would EVER accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox.....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/29/05 at 6:01 pm

over and over again

not that I would accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of doing anything as devoius as bribing the umpires onto making controversial call in their favor over and over again.

ANY team, with the support of the umpires, who be the best team of any postseason

Hey, the White Sox won. It's over and there is nothing anyone can do about it. The Astros can do it next year if they EARN the shot at it..like all the other teams in 2006.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/29/05 at 6:07 pm

over and over again

You are very single-minded.

Considering how abysmally the Angels and the Astros hit against the ChiSox, not even an act of God would have helped them.  The Astros had every chance in the world to turn the tables in games 2, 3 and 4 and blew it.  That was what disappointed me the most, was that Houston couldn't come through when it mattered.

I actually wanted the World Series to go seven games because I wasn't ready for the season to end, but at the finish, the White Sox proved to be the superior team.  The Astros fans on the board seem to understand that.  So does Ryne Sandberg, a longtime Cub.  So why can't you?  Are you so incredibly sore about the Astros getting swept that you have to make excuses?  Or are you another disgruntled Cubs fan who still blames Steve Bartman for costing the Cubs the NLCS?  

The umpires didn't win the game for the White Sox, they won it themselves.  

Not that I would accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of actually playing better than the Astros and winning the World Series on their own merits.

Written By: Skippy on 10/29/05 at 8:12 pm

Unless there is actual indisputable proof that the Umpires intentionally threw the games I think this whole issue should be laid to rest.
When I played baseball, I was taught that whatever the umps called, right or wrong, however I felt, I was to accept it. It's called sportsmanship, showing poise and discipline, and the realization that human beings are fallable. Maybe someday in the future we'll have Robo-Ump and all calls will be perfect. After all, it is just a game.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/30/05 at 1:17 am

Unless there is actual indisputable proof that the Umpires intentionally threw the games I think this whole issue should be laid to rest.
When I played baseball, I was taught that whatever the umps called, right or wrong, however I felt, I was to accept it. It's called sportsmanship, showing poise and discipline, and the realization that human beings are fallable. Maybe someday in the future we'll have Robo-Ump and all calls will be perfect. After all, it is just a game.

Yeah man, I mean, even the strike zone varies from ump to ump, but most pitchers will just grin and bear it and adjust to the tighter or more liberal strike zone.  The Sox adjusted better and won.  I just don't think that the Sox should be discredited because one or two calls went their way.  I'm sure other calls went the way of the Angels or Astros too, but the difference is that the other teams didn't take advantage.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/30/05 at 3:24 pm

Why haven't some people forgiven the White Sox for 1917? The team even had a different name back in 1917! The White Sox are not the same corrupted bunch as the 1917 Black Sox...isn't it about time for forgiveness?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/31/05 at 2:02 am

Why haven't some people forgiven the White Sox for 1917? The team even had a different name back in 1917! The White Sox are not the same corrupted bunch as the 1917 Black Sox...isn't it about time for forgiveness?

1919.  I don't think most people care anymore.

Written By: STAR70 on 11/02/05 at 5:12 pm

Not that I would accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of actually playing better than the Astros and winning the World Series on their own merits.

of course, I never accused them of this either!!!  :D

You are very single-minded.

Considering how abysmally the Angels and the Astros hit against the ChiSox, not even an act of God would have helped them. 

yeah, sure, the Angels were so-o-o lousy with the bat that they won game 1 of the ALCS in Chicago, after which, interestingly enough, all those close calls in the subsequent games wre in their favor....

...not that I would ever accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of bribing the umpires after losing home field advantage in the series

Written By: nally on 11/02/05 at 5:20 pm

...but we are talking of the playoffs and world series, not one game out of 182 regular season games. It is interesting that so many blown calls went in favor of the ChiSox

...not that I would EVER accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox...

182 regular season games?!! :o I thought each team played only 162 games in the regular season. :-[

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/02/05 at 6:42 pm

You're still sore about this?

Bad calls went either way.  The reason the ChiSox calls are so publicized is that the Sox capitalized on their opportunities while the opposing teams did not.  That is the mark of a champion.

Let's look at it this way...

1985ish, KC vs StL.  Did Denkinger's botched call win the game for the Royals?  No, the subsequent 7-run homer did :P  Did the call win the series for the Royals?  No, the Cardinals just laid down and died in Game 7.

1986, BoSox vs. Mets.  Did Bill Buckner's goof lose the Series for the Sox?  No, they still had a chance to win game 7.  They didn't, and we know what happened after that.

1996, Yankees vs. Orioles, ALCS.  Did Jeffrey Maier taking away Jeter's "home run" win the game for the Yankees?  No, that was early in the game, and the Orioles had every chance to come back.  They didn't, and we all know what happened after that.

2003, Cubs vs. Marlins, NLCS.  Did Steve Bartman lose the game for the Cubs by taking away an out from Alou?  No, the Cubs still could have gotten the out, but they decided to give up 8 unanswered runs after that.  And we all know what happened after that.

Umpires don't win or lose games.  The players do.  Their lack of focus and poise after bad calls leads to their downfall.

This doesn't only apply to baseball.  Remember the 1972 Olympics when the US team was up by a point and time seemed to run out but didn't?  They still had a shot of stopping the Soviets to win the gold medal.  They didn't, and we all know what happened after that :P

Stop being so sore, there's always next year.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/02/05 at 7:25 pm

of course, I never accused them of this either!!!  :D

yeah, sure, the Angels were so-o-o lousy with the bat that they won game 1 of the ALCS in Chicago, after which, interestingly enough, all those close calls in the subsequent games wre in their favor....

...not that I would ever accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of bribing the umpires after losing home field advantage in the series

Whine, whine, whine....accept that the White Sox won. Move on, get over it.

Written By: STAR70 on 11/03/05 at 5:09 pm

Bad calls were made,

really??? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!

If the MLB is so corrupt, then don't patronize them....don't watch the games.... Blah blah blah

actually this particular world series was the lowest rated world series in television history, so I guess there are lots of people out there who suspect the fix is on

Why is it that whenever a team loses, the fans have to blame it on everyone except the team/management/etc.?  blah blah blah

this usually happens when the umpires are on the take...

...not that I would ever accuse the Grand and Noble Chicago  White Sox of any misconduct 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/03/05 at 7:40 pm

really??? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!

actually this particular world series was the lowest rated world series in television history, so I guess there are lots of people out there who suspect the fix is on

this usually happens when the umpires are on the take...

...not that I would ever accuse the Grand and Noble Chicago  White Sox of any misconduct 
Hey....I could have said that Kurt Busch was handed the NASCAR Nextel Cup last year..but I didn't. I accepted it.  You are soooo unhappy,sour grapes because your team did not win the World Series...get over it. Move on and root for your team next season.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/04/05 at 12:51 am

you're making my point for me.
Team USA did not stand on the awards podium; the silver medals that Team USA "won" that day were never accepted; those medals to this day are collecting dust in a vault somewhere in Vienna. The members of Team USA have left instructions to their next of kin that those medals be never accepted after their deaths...

...not they are accusing a certain referee, who was actually a SPECTATOR in the bleachers at the time, who gave the Soviets FIVE CHANCES to hit the final shot, of harboring any anti-Yank sentiments.

I didn't realize you had a point.  My point is that Team USA still had a chance to win but couldn't handle the pressure.

Let's look at another Team USA, the 1980 ice hockey team.  The game should have been 2-1 going into the third, but a USA player scored with what seemed to be no time left on the clock.  Should the goal have counted or not?  It did, and Team USA ended up winning, much to the chagrin of the Soviets.  Does that mean that one bad time call, or that one goal, lost the game for the Soviets?  No.

Written By: STAR70 on 11/04/05 at 2:53 pm

I didn't realize you had a point.  My point is that Team USA still had a chance to win but couldn't handle the pressure.

Let's look at another Team USA, the 1980 ice hockey team.  The game should have been 2-1 going into the third, but a USA player scored with what seemed to be no time left on the clock.  Should the goal have counted or not?  It did, and Team USA ended up winning, much to the chagrin of the Soviets.  Does that mean that one bad time call, or that one goal, lost the game for the Soviets?  No.

did the Soviets ever dispute the call??? Did the refs keep making crucial calls in favor of Team USA over and over again ?
If you had been paying attention, my point is that the outcomes of crucial games should be decided by the players not by paid-off umpires. Please make a note of it...

...not that I would EVER accuse the Grand and Noble Black, er, I mean White Sox of ANY impropriety

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/04/05 at 3:14 pm

did the Soviets everdispute the call???
If you had been paying attention, my point is that the outcomes of crucial games should be decided by the players not by paid-off umpires. Please make a note of it...

...not that I would EVER accuse the Grand and Noble Black, er, I mean White Sox of ANY impropriety

Even if the Sox did pay off the refs, they still won two games out of the five that were called cleanly (i.e. no dropped third strike, no weird interference calls that weren't).  So let's say that the Angels had gotten out of that first situation (Pierzynski's safe at first).  Would they have DEFINITELY won in extra innings?  Not necessarily.  Let's say that the Angels got the bases loaded situation for Kennedy (Finley doesn't "hit" into the double play).  Would Kennedy have smacked home a couple runs, or even all of them, for sure?  No.

So despite the umpiring, the Angels still would have sucked it up.  Deal with it.

Written By: STAR70 on 11/04/05 at 3:32 pm

Even if the Sox did pay off the refs....

the hell you say!!!!

not that I would ever accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox.....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/04/05 at 10:06 pm

I noticed that you didn't dispute the fact that the Angels sucked.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/04/05 at 10:20 pm

No, because Hockey, like baseball has NO instant replay.....no review of calls.  

That is true for the most part, but at least in the NHL, they have implemented instant replay to verify if a goal is good.  Like, whether the puck completely crossed the goal line, if the net moorings were secured at the time of the goal, etc.

Written By: Skippy on 11/04/05 at 10:47 pm

did the Soviets everdispute the call???

Under Olympic rules of that time was it even allowed to dispute calls? Baseball is like life, ya takes yer lumps, learn, and move on.  ::)

Written By: STAR70 on 11/06/05 at 4:36 pm

I noticed that you didn't dispute the fact that the Angels sucked.

"Suck" is a relative term, not an absolute. If you think the AL Champion Angels "suck," then non-playoff teams such as the SF Giants and the Oakland A's must completely, totally, and utterly  suck the rivets off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Written By: STAR70 on 11/06/05 at 4:50 pm

So, let me get this straight....the Sox paid off the umps, but most games were won by a 1-2 point margin.....wouldn't you think that if they HAD, the margins would've been much greater?  Hey, if your Angels were so good and deserved to win, they should have romped all over the Sox, despite the umps....they should have had such great leads that it wouldn't have mattered WHAT the umps did. blah blah blah

you are painting a great "points-shaving" scenario...

...not that I would EVER accuse the Grand and Noble Chicago Blac, oops, I mean White Sox of doing anything as devious as bribing the umps.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/05 at 5:28 pm

Looks like some people aren't ready to move on.  Face it, the Chisox took it and Texas lost in a bad way.
Get over it.  It's a game for pitys sake.  (one that the Astros weren't quite good enough to win)

Written By: Dagwood on 11/06/05 at 7:57 pm

Looks like some people aren't ready to move on.  Face it, the Chisox took it and Texas lost in a bad way.
Get over it.  It's a game for pitys sake.  (one that the Astros weren't quite good enough to win)

Well said.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/07/05 at 1:06 am

"Suck" is a relative term, not an absolute. If you think the AL Champion Angels "suck," then non-playoff teams such as the SF Giants and the Oakland A's must completely, totally, and utterly  suck the rivets off the Golden Gate Bridge.

The Angels weren't even AL Champions.  The ChiSox were, because they beat said Angels.

And yes, they did suck.  They batted abysmally as a team and their MVP candidate, Vlad Guerrero, got shut down. 

The Giants sucked because the entire NL West sucked, and the A's sucked because they blew the AL West lead.

The Astros sucked because they batted as bad, if not worse, as the Angels, but they didn't suck as much as the Cardinals, who lost to said Astros.

The Yankees $200+ million sucked.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/07/05 at 12:57 pm

I find it incredibly amazing that a player can fake a strikeout!  :o  You'd have to be a good actor to do that.  Or tip pitches.  Or something like that.

I mean, the batter would have had to know which pitches would be balls and which would be strikes.  He'd then have to swing really badly at said pitches.  It's so complicated, what an incredible conspiracy!

Written By: STAR70 on 11/07/05 at 4:22 pm

Pierczynski didn't have to fake the strike out. All that was necessary was for the ump to call a fake ball-hitting-ground call...

...not that I would EVER accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of EVER doing ANYTHING as devious as bribing the umps...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/07/05 at 4:37 pm

Pierczynski didn't have to fake the strike out. All that was necessary was for the ump to call a fake ball-hitting-ground call...

Now let's look at it this way, since you brought it up again.  The score at the time was 1-1.  They were going into extra innings.  Let's say the call was made "correctly" (we're not going to argue about whether the ball touched the dirt or not because the angle was inconclusive at best) and they go to extra innings.  How do you know that the Angels would have scored?  Buehrle was going to pitch the 10th anyway and Ozzie Guillen was insane enough to let him do it too.  The Angels hadn't been able to touch him all night except for that one run.  Now let's go to the bottom of the 10th, with Crede up.  Escobar was going to pitch because the score would have been tied, and considering what happened on that pitch to Crede, things could only look good for the Sox.  But then again, he could have hit into an out.  You just don't know.

The call was questionable at best but it didn't lose the game for the Angels.  Escobar's pitch did.  Unless you think the Sox paid him a bajillion dollars to throw a nice juicy strike down the middle. 

Written By: STAR70 on 11/07/05 at 5:31 pm

The call was questionable at best but it didn't lose the game for the Angels.     

of course it did. it allowed the winning run to get on base when the inning should have been over

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/08/05 at 1:03 am

of course it did. it allowed the winning run to get on base when the inning should have been over

Look, the umps might have been bought off to call a more liberal strike zone or to let that dropped third strike call go, but they can't force Escobar to throw a retarded pitch.  The Angels lost because they sucked.  Deal with it.

Written By: STAR70 on 11/08/05 at 4:12 pm

Look, the umps might have been bought off to call a more liberal strike zone or to let that dropped third strike call go, but they can't force Escobar to throw a retarded pitch.  The Angels lost because they sucked.  Deal with it.

with the correct call, the inning would have been over, and that pitch wouldn't have happened.

The Angels lost because the umps gave the ChiSox all the calls....

...not that I would EVER accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of doing anything so devious as paying-off the umps....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/09/05 at 12:48 am

with the correct call, the inning would have been over, and that pitch wouldn't have happened.

The Angels lost because the umps gave the ChiSox all the calls....

...not that I would EVER accuse the Grand and Noble ChiSox of doing anything so devious as paying-off the umps....

No, the Angels lost because they couldn't hit.  Same with the Astros.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/10/05 at 1:52 am

I'll bet all the Chicago bats were corked.  You dirty cheaters :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/10/05 at 5:09 pm

Hey Rice.....wrong team ;)

I know, but seeing as Sammy Sosa's in the AL now... ;)

Written By: TarzSp on 11/10/05 at 6:00 pm

Isn't the World Series over??

Oh, and Sammy Sosa was Released by the Orioles, so he is no longer in the AL

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/11/05 at 6:14 pm

But, he's not on the Sox ;)

But he did play the Sox, and maybe he dealt them some icky bats!  ::)  ;D

Written By: mets on 04/17/06 at 3:18 am

i think the mets will win it as long as the pitching holds up they will win we have a great infield and outfield the only team that will have a chance besides the mets in the whitsox

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/17/06 at 3:25 am

Being a native Chicagoan, it was nice to see my hometown team win.  I grew up on the North Side though, so I'd like to see the Cubbies win before I die.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/17/06 at 11:33 am

i think the mets will win it as long as the pitching holds up they will win we have a great infield and outfield the only team that will have a chance besides the mets in the whitsox

Yeah, the Mets look really good so far, so do the Yankees. We might see another Mets/Yankees World Series this year.

Check for new replies or respond here...