inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pujols wins NL MVP

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/15/05 at 1:25 pm

Bullsh**.

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/braves/1105/16nlmvp.html

Subject: Re: Pujols wins NL MVP

Written By: nally on 11/15/05 at 1:31 pm

And I believe A-Rod won the AL MVP award (yesterday)..

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/15/05 at 2:00 pm

Bullsh**.

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/braves/1105/16nlmvp.html

EXCUSE ME!

Jealous that Jones didn't win are we  ;)

I agree Jones had a good year, but his average was nothing compared to Pujols, his on base Pctg was nothing compared to Pujols, his fielding stats were ok.. He just hit the ball hard.. a lot. That's what the Hank Aaron award is for  ;)

Written By: TarzSp on 11/15/05 at 3:30 pm

Andruw Jones should have won, plain and simple

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/15/05 at 3:49 pm

Andruw Jones should have won, plain and simple

Why?

Written By: TarzSp on 11/15/05 at 4:06 pm

Why?

Look at the Braves Roster and then look at the Cardinals Roster

Andruw Jones single handedly carried the Braves

And as cliche' as it may sound, Albert Pujols was the Best player in Baseball this past season, but Andruw Jones was the Most Valuable player in Baseball this past season

"Best" doesen't exactly mean "Most Valuable"

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/15/05 at 4:43 pm

Why?

Let's see:

1. Jones hit the most home-runs in all the majors.
2. Jones lead the NL in RBIs.
3. Jones won a silver slugger award (Pujols didn't.)
4. Jones won a gold glove (Pujols didn't.)
5. Jones won two-thirds of the triple crown (Pujols won NONE of the triple crown.)

What's the one big thing that Pujols has on Jones?  Batting average?  Pujols didn't ever beat Derrek Lee in batting average.

The Braves would not have won the NL east without Jones, the Cardinals could still have won the NL central easily without Pujols.  Jones was clearly more valuable to the Braves.  To the Cardinals, a team with all that pitching, hitting, defense, and especially money, Pujols was as valuable as the bat boy.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/15/05 at 4:49 pm

Look at the Braves Roster and then look at the Cardinals Roster

Andruw Jones single handedly carried the Braves

And as cliche' as it may sound, Albert Pujols was the Best player in Baseball this past season, but Andruw Jones was the Most Valuable player in Baseball this past season

"Best" doesen't exactly mean "Most Valuable"

I have to admit. I wouldn't have had a problem with Jones winning. He did indeed carry the team.

I don't like the way the MVP works, i think it should be for the best player, not the most Valuable. For his team, yeah Jones was the most Valuable.
In the league, Pujols was the best.

The way i look at it is this.

If you own a franchise, who would you pay more to get, Andruw Jones or Albert Pujols.

Let's see:

1. Jones hit the most home-runs in all the majors.
2. Jones lead the NL in RBIs.
3. Jones won a silver slugger award (Pujols didn't.)
4. Jones won a gold glove (Pujols didn't.)
5. Jones won two-thirds of the triple crown (Pujols won NONE of the triple crown.)

What's the one big thing that Pujols has on Jones?  Batting average?  Pujols didn't ever beat Derrek Lee in batting average.

The Braves would not have won the NL east without Jones, the Cardinals could still have won the NL central easily without Pujols.  Jones was clearly more valuable to the Braves.  To the Cardinals, a team with all that pitching, hitting, defense, and especially money, Pujols was as valuable as the bat boy.

That's a fairly inane statement. I can think of a dozen games in which Pujols.. won.. the game.
Not just played well, but won the game, that's value.
I don't disagree with your theory, Jones was the most valuable for his team, was he the most valuable in the league?

Written By: TarzSp on 11/15/05 at 4:53 pm

Jones was the most valuable for his team, was he the most valuable in the league?

It's the same thing

The Most Valuable player in the league would have to be the guy who is the Most Valuable to his own team, duh  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...