inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: World Cup 2006 - it's own thread

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 7:35 am

Just thought it would be an idea for those of us who wanted to talk specifically about the World Cup, without wanting to drown it in the other 'football'  ;D thread, I would start a separate one of it's own.

I am copying across the few posts that have already been made :

Subject: Re: World Cup 2006 - it's own thread

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 7:37 am

From Philip Eno :

The draw for the Groups in the World Cup Finals is about to commence in 30 minutes time

With:
POT ONE
Germany (hosts)
Brazil (holders)
Argentina
England
France
Italy
Mexico
Spain 

POT TWO
Australia
Angola
Ghana
Ivory Coast
Togo
Tunisia
Ecuador
Paraguay

POT THREE
Croatia
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine 

POT FOUR
Iran
Japan
Saudi Arabia
South Korea
Costa Rica
Trinidad & Tobago
US

Special pot: Serbia & Montenegro

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 7:37 am

From Henk :

The draw is finished and boy, are we lucky! :P We will be facing Argentina, Ivory Coast and Serbia & Montenegro.... It may well be the toughest lot! :(

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 7:38 am

From Philip Eno :

World Cup finals draw in full

GROUP A
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

GROUP B
England
Paraguay
Trinidad & Tobago
Sweden

GROUP C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia & Montenegro
Holland

GROUP D
Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

GROUP E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

GROUP G
France
Switzerland
South Korea
Togo

GROUP H
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

England has an curious match against Sweden?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 7:39 am

From FussBudget :

Curse Johan Cruyff !  Drawing Australia to be in Brazil's group - I knew I never liked him for a reason  ;D ;D ;D

I really REALLY wanted us to be in a group with England (for obvious reasons - so I could annoy Paul and Philip) or alternately to be drawn against the USA, so we could stuff the ignorant Bruce Arena's observations regarding our abilities back down his big mouth.  Idiot.

He seems to forget the only result between the two countries  ::)  Let us progress to later stages of the tournament so we can have the chance, I say  :P

Henk, I sympathise for your having been drawn in Argentina's group.  :o  But one would think that Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coast won't present too many problems  ;)

I think Group D is potentially the easiest.  Quite how Mexico got to be in the Top 8 seeds is a bit beyond me  ???

Best of luck to all  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 7:40 am

From Paul (in reply to FussBudget) :

From tonight's London Evening Standard...

Allegedly, Sven wasn't aware of any 'rivalry' 'twixt Aus & England, which is why he never regarded that night in 2003 as of 'any significance'...

(And we wonder why this fool is still in charge...what planet is he on, exactly?)

Oh, apparently he's 'well aware' of the two countries rivalry now and he didn't want either country to be drawn in the same group either (so it turns out)...so that's alright then!

Ah! The legendary 'Group Of Death'...normally frequented by the Jocks...!

Group G appears to be a stroll in the park for France...

Yes, best of luck...as long as we win it...!!

(Oh look...a dead horse flying backwards!)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 7:41 am

From Henk (in reply to FussBudget) :

You could do us all a favour and kick them Brazilians out of the tournament.... How's that for a shock? ;)

Of these three opponents, I prefer Argentina - at least we've played against them in the past (please do not mention the World Cup final of 1978), so we know what they're like. Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coast, well... they're just dark horses. Both of them make a first appearance at the World Cup, so it's anybody's guess how they will do. But we know some names, like Kezman (formerly PSV) for Serb&Mon and Arouna Kon

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/05 at 8:02 am

Truthfully speaking my son is the football expert in my household, but I will do my best to keep you posted on World Cup 2006 matters.

Written By: Paul on 12/10/05 at 10:56 am

Right...

Pure speculation, of course, but Paulie's gonna whittle it down to the last sixteen half a year before a ball's even been kicked...

How these predictions could come back to haunt me...!

Group A: Costa Rica could pull something off, but the two Europeans should go through...

Group B: Totally impartial on this one, me...! A relatively 'easy' group for England if they don't slip into mediocrity...
Paraguay is a team of past glories and T&T shouldn't get a sniff by rights...
Both European teams progressing...

Group C: I've heard so much talk of the Ivory Coast being the 'dark horse', but I can't see them or S&N matching the quality of Argentina & Holland...

Group D: Foregone conclusion, this one...Mexico & Portugal...

Group E: Bit of a toughie, but I don't think the USA will have the firepower for this...both the European teams once more...

Group F: Pretty obvious who one will be, but how about the other?
Very close, but Australia certainly have the ability to pull something off...

Group G: Easy one for France, but I think Switzerland may come unstuck against the Koreans...

Group H: Should be fairly easy for Spain with Tunisia being Africa's sole representative in the last sixteen...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/05 at 11:40 am

Right...

Pure speculation, of course, but Paulie's gonna whittle it down to the last sixteen half a year before a ball's even been kicked...

Group A: Costa Rica could pull something off, but the two Europeans should go through...

Group B: Totally impartial on this one, me...! A relatively 'easy' group for England if they don't slip into mediocrity...

Group C: I've heard so much talk of the Ivory Coast being the 'dark horse', but I can't see them or S&N matching the quality of Argentina & Holland...

Group E: Bit of a toughie, but I don't think the USA will have the firepower for this...both the European teams once more...

Group G: Easy one for France, but I think Switzerland may come unstuck against the Koreans...

Group H: Should be fairly easy for Spain with Tunisia being Africa's sole representative in the last sixteen...
Ivory Coast could produce surprizes like Cameroon some years back.

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/10/05 at 4:11 pm

I'm not gonna give any predictions about this World Cup, because I have been wrong too many times in the past.

O well, maybe just a few then: final four will be Brazil, Germany, Argentina and...The Netherlands. The "new" world champion will be... :-X

Speaking of four... there's four Dutch coaches in this tournament: Marco van Basten (The Netherlands), Guus Hiddink (Australia), Dick Advocaat (South Korea) and Leo Beenhakker (Trinidad & Tobago). I don't think any other country has ever achieved something similar.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/10/05 at 10:56 pm

Let's see Paul :  :)

Right...

Me too !  ;D

Germany are certs and must be laughing themselves sill at being in this group  :)  Poland SHOULD get through, but I think also that Ecuador may not be easybeats...

Yep !  Although England to do their usual thing : Play well against Sweden but like a pub team against T&T, and also have a hard time against Paraguay.  I would not be surprised if Sweden top the group, by sheer fact that England put too much pressure on themselves to perform...

Easy peasy !  Argentina and the Dutch.  If they stuff that up, then... they deserve all the crap they get for it  ;D

Also agreed.  This is the group that I wanted Australia to be in.  Thoroughly unimpressive all round.  The Mexicans and Portugese should be laughing as much as Germany  ;)

Well, it looks like Italy and the Czechs, but Ghana are no slouches.  I have a suspicion that the US may not perform as well as previously, partly based on the incredible overconfidence eminating from their coach.  Also because it is a crappy group to find themselves in.

Cannot but agree.  2nd place would appear to be an even bet all around.  I know Australia are capable, specially under Hiddink now, we just need to get past Japan in the first game and we will be in with a good shout.  Japan and Croatia are not quite at the standard they were a few years ago.

Agreed, but I think as you say, the Koreans may fight for 2nd with the Swiss.

Well, if anyone is likely to disappoint it is the Spanish, they have had as much practice at that as Scotland (who set the bar)  ;D  Both Tunisia and the Saudis are very capable, and the Ukraine also, another tough group  :o

There ya have it  ;)

Written By: Criz on 12/11/05 at 11:44 am

England always seem to end up with Sweden in their group!! I blame Sven :P

Written By: Paul on 12/11/05 at 2:19 pm

England always seem to end up with Sweden in their group!! I blame Sven :P

I blame Ulrika...!

Written By: Criz on 12/11/05 at 4:02 pm

I blame Ulrika...!

LOL!!!  ;D

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/12/05 at 10:14 pm

As a guest I predict all europen quarter finals: Germany, Italy, Holland & England. And in the final there will be Germany vs Holland! Positively, the World Cup 2006 will be a great show!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/05 at 1:54 am

As a guest I predict all europen quarter finals: Germany, Italy, Holland & England. And in the final there will be Germany vs Holland! Positively, the World Cup 2006 will be a great show!
With for teams, shouldn't that be semi-finals?

Written By: Criz on 12/14/05 at 3:03 pm

I don't reckon it'll just be European teams - Brazil and Argentina are going to be in the quarter finals I think.

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/14/05 at 9:19 pm

With for teams, shouldn't that be semi-finals?

Hi, as to other four teams I let anyone figure it out but the four I mentioned will make to the next round(semi-finals). Thanks for the corrections! Traditionally, Brazil & Argentina fail to show their top performance when they play in Europe. Both teams are too depend on individual skill.

Written By: STAR70 on 12/15/05 at 3:53 pm

SOCCER HOOLIGANS!!!!

Written By: karen on 12/16/05 at 3:57 am

SOCCER HOOLIGANS!!!!

Where?  :-\\

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/16/05 at 7:00 am

SOCCER HOOLIGANS!!!!

Always found it interesting that it's only soccer that has 'hooligans'.  Pretty narrow mind set if one really believes that.  It is generally accepted that the hoooliganism that accompanies the sport exists solely because of the sheer weight of numbers of spectators at the matches, therefore allowing more anonimity for those wishing to cause trouble.

The media is as much to blame for continuing to push this misnomer down throats as anyone.  Idiots. 

But when I see TV pictures of suuporters celebrating a Stanley Cup victory by rioting in the streets and torching and turning over cars etc etc, they are - note - 'fans'.  Interesting parallel.  Civil disobedience, yet they are not hooligans, they are 'fans'.  Hmmm... ::)

Written By: Paul on 12/16/05 at 7:16 am

Always found it interesting that it's only soccer that has 'hooligans'.

Sadly, that's the one thing that can be attributed to us (although it has 'spilled' into other countries, it's not the sort of thing I'd like to see us export...)

On a more positive note, over recent years and tournaments, the authorities have managed to expel a lot of this trash from the hardcore support, but the threat still raises its head every once in a while - not helped, as you rightly say, by the 'stirrings' of the press...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/05 at 9:56 am

Always found it interesting that it's only soccer that has 'hooligans'.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/16/05 at 9:34 pm

Not all football fans are hooligans

Philip

Not sure if you have taken what I wrote out of context, so I will clarify just in case.  ;)

I agree with you 100%.  I was referring to an earlier cover-all statement, which gets trotted out by those who are not interested in the game.  Whether it be serious or simply tongue in cheek, i don't believe it heps anybody, and certainly does not help address the problem.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/06/06 at 9:37 am

The time has come for this thread to re-appear !  Not long now  :)

So, Engunderrrrrs, is Rooney going to be fit or not ?  Will Sven cover himself in glory or ignominy ?  :o

I see your people have been trying to rule out as many Aussies as you can, Schwarzer, Viduka, Cahill et al  :P  You vill FAIL  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/06 at 10:36 am

How many days is it to go now?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/06/06 at 10:42 am

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

I think we're in with a pretty good chance, better than we've had in 30 years in fact...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/06 at 10:44 am

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

I think we're in with a pretty good chance, better than we've had in 30 years in fact...
Who are the other teams in your group?

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/06/06 at 11:28 am

Who are the other teams in your group?

Allow me to answer that one. It's Brazil, Croatia and Japan. Brazil is one of the favourite teams to win the title, of course, but I'm thinking Australia has a fairly good chance of ending up #2 in this group.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/06 at 11:31 am

Allow me to answer that one. It's Brazil, Croatia and Japan. Brazil is one of the favourite teams to win the title, of course, but I'm thinking Australia has a fairly good chance of ending up #2 in this group.
It looks to be a entertaining group.

Written By: La Roche on 05/06/06 at 11:58 am

I'm thinking (always dangerous)..

That Sven may be best served playing 5 in the midfield.

With Gerrard or King in the holding role a'la Man Utd of the late 90's.

This would allow for Lampard, Cole etc to take on a more attacking role with Owen as the solitary striker.

It worked against Argentina in '98.

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/06 at 1:52 pm

I blame Ulrika...!

Ha ha! I wouldn't be surprised if she messed around with Blue Peter as well (think about it . . .).

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/06 at 2:08 pm

The time has come for this thread to re-appear !  Not long now  :)

So, Engunderrrrrs, is Rooney going to be fit or not ?   Will Sven cover himself in glory or ignominy ?  :o

I see your people have been trying to rule out as many Aussies as you can, Schwarzer, Viduka, Cahill et al  :P   You vill FAIL  ;D

That's the problem with England. They think it's all over when one of their main team is injured. Sven should have a plan B because injuries are always inevitable.

My guesses to go through to the knock-out stages . . .

GROUP A
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

Germany and Poland

GROUP B
England
Paraguay
Trinidad & Tobago
Sweden

England and Paraguay (I think we got off lucky this time around - unless Trinidad and Tobago become this years surprise team

GROUP C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia & Montenegro
Holland

Argentina and Netherlands

GROUP D
Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

Portugal and Mexico

GROUP E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

Italy and Czech Republic

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

Brazil and Croatia (though the sleeper would be for Australia to go through)

GROUP G
France
Switzerland
South Korea
Togo

France and S. Korea

GROUP H
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Spain and Tunisia

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:09 am

Yeah, I think we have a good chance...and as they say, anything can happen in soccer (I hesitate to call it 'football)...

Ironically, half the Australian team is Crotian!

Written By: La Roche on 05/07/06 at 1:34 am

That's the problem with England. They think it's all over when one of their main team is injured. Sven should have a plan B because injuries are always inevitable.

My guesses to go through to the knock-out stages . . .

GROUP A
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

Germany and Poland

GROUP B
England
Paraguay
Trinidad & Tobago
Sweden

England and Paraguay (I think we got off lucky this time around - unless Trinidad and Tobago become this years surprise team

GROUP C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia & Montenegro
Holland

Argentina and Netherlands

GROUP D
Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

Portugal and Mexico

GROUP E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

Italy and Czech Republic

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

Brazil and Croatia (though the sleeper would be for Australia to go through)

GROUP G
France
Switzerland
South Korea
Togo

France and S. Korea

GROUP H
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Spain and Tunisia

Can't agree with these.

Group A

Germany & Costa Rica will advance

Group B

England & Sweden

Group C

Argentina & Holland

Group D

Mexico & Portugal

Group E

Czech Republic & The United States

Group F

Brazil & Australia (Japan could push 'em though, the croats have no team now)

Group G

France for certain, can't pick between the swiss or Koreans

Group H

Spain & Ukraine

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/12/06 at 8:27 am

Aussie news :

Tony Vidmar - veteran defender of the last 4 world cup campaigns, has had to withdraw from consideration for selection as he was having medical difficulties, and they (FIFA !)  :o have discovered a rare heart condition...

THE senior statesman of the Socceroos, defender Tony Vidmar, is out of the World Cup and his career is in limbo after recent tests revealed a life-threatening heart condition.

Vidmar's problem was discovered because of FIFA's new pre-tournament testing regime - implemented in the wake of the death of Cameroon midfielder Marc-Vivien Foe, who collapsed with a heart attack at the Confederations Cup in France three years ago. Vidmar becomes the first footballer to be caught in the net of the new "health passport" procedures, which encourage all players to complete a series of health checks before appearing in a FIFA tournament.

In a devastating personal blow, and a huge setback for team preparations, the 35-year-old has been forced out of the squad on the eve of realising his lifelong ambition to play in the World Cup finals. The third-most-capped Australian has played in four World Cup campaigns since making his Socceroos debut 15 years ago, and produced arguably his finest performances for his country in the two-legged play-off against Uruguay last November, including converting a penalty in the shoot-out in Sydney.

Oh boy, after all that commitment over all those years, and all those near misses - that must be absolutely devestating for him.  :( :( :(

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/12/06 at 8:30 am

Australia's squad :

With Fuss' stamp of approval or otherwise  :P

JOHN ALOISI Striker. Caps: 39. Goals: 22. Club: Alaves (Spain)  ;)

MICHAEL BEAUCHAMP Defender. Caps: 1. Goals: 0. Central Coast  :)

MARCO BRESCIANO Midfielder. Caps: 22. Goals: 7. Parma (Italy)  ;)

TIM CAHILL Midfielder. Caps: 14. Goals: 8. Everton (England)  ;)

SCOTT CHIPPERFIELD Wingback/midfielder. Caps: 44. Goals: 11. FC Basel (Switz)  ;)

ANTE COVIC Goalkeeper. Caps: 1. Hammarby (Sweden)  :-\\

JASON CULINA Midfielder. Caps: 11. Goals: 1. PSV Eindhoven (Holland)  :)

BRETT EMERTON Midfielder. Caps: 45. Goals: 11. Blackburn (England)  :)

VINCE GRELLA Defensive midfielder. Caps: 15. Goals: 0. Parma (Italy)

ZELJKO KALAC Goalkeeper. Caps: 50. AC Milan (Italy)  ;)

JOSHUA KENNEDY Striker. Caps: 0. Dynamo Dresden (Germany)  :-\\

HARRY KEWELL Midfielder/striker. Caps: 19. Goals: 6. Liverpool (Eng)  ;)

STAN LAZARIDIS Defender. Caps: 57. Goals: 0. Uncontracted  :)

MARK MILLIGAN Defender. Caps: 0. Goals: 0. Sydney FC  :)

CRAIG MOORE Defender. Caps: 30. Goals: 2. Newcastle Utd (England)  ;)

LUCAS NEILL Defender. Caps: 22. Goals: 0. Blackburn (England)  ;)

TONY POPOVIC Defender. Caps: 54. Goals: 7. Crystal Palace (England)  :)

MARK SCHWARZER Goalkeeper. Caps: 36. Middlesbrough (England)  :)

JOSIP SKOKO Midfielder. Caps: 44. Goals: 8. Wigan (England)  :)

MILE STERJOVSKI Midfielder/striker. Caps: 19. Goals: 3. FC Basel (Switz)  :)

ARCHIE THOMPSON Striker. Caps: 17. Goals: 21. Melbourne Victory  :)

MARK VIDUKA Striker. Caps: 31. Goals: 6. Middlesbrough (England)  ;)

LUKE WILKSHIRE Midfielder. Caps: 7. Goals: 0. Bristol City (England)  :-\\

GUUS HIDDINK Coach. Socceroos games: 6. Won: 5. Dr: 0. Lost: 1  :D :P

Notice anything about this one : ???

ARCHIE THOMPSON Striker. Caps: 17. Goals: 21. Melbourne Victory

The caps and goals are correct.  :o That situation is a perfect example of why Australia pushed for so many years to be part of the Asian Confederation (which occurred on 1 January this year).  Because matches against Pacific Island nations were starting to resemble Rugby scores, and WE weren't getting any decent match practice (although the Solomon Islands were pretty good)  :)

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/06 at 11:08 am

ZELJKO KALAC Goalkeeper. Caps: 50. AC Milan (Italy)  ;)

Christ almighty, old Spider Kalac is still around is he.

AC Milan of all bloody places, who'd have thought that.

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/06 at 11:09 am

Why exactly is there no Danny Tiato in the side?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/12/06 at 5:52 pm

Christ almighty, old Spider Kalac is still around is he.

AC Milan of all bloody places, who'd have thought that.

Yeah, but something tells me he may exactly be first choice there  ;D

Why exactly is there no Danny Tiato in the side?

Because on the rare occasions when he plays, he gets red-carded, because he has become the Aussie version of Robbie Savage, over-rated and over-testosteroned...  ::)

That or he picks up yet another long term injury  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/06 at 9:44 pm

Yeah, but something tells me he may exactly be first choice there  ;D

Because on the rare occasions when he plays, he gets red-carded, because he has become the Aussie version of Robbie Savage, over-rated and over-testosteroned...  ::)

That or he picks up yet another long term injury  ::)

Funny you should mention that.

Last time I was in the U.K, I went to a game and he got sent off.

I felt the need to shout at him "Piss off and calm down you daft twat!"

;D

Spider (You's guys call him that?) should be your first choice every day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/06 at 1:33 am

What is the latest on Wayne Rooney's foot?

Written By: La Roche on 05/13/06 at 11:34 am

Now much has been heard really.

It's going to be a few more weeks before anything is really known  :-\\

I'm somewhat concerned about Steven Gerrard after seeing him limping in the F.A cup final.

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/06 at 4:17 pm

Can't agree with these.

Group A

Germany & Costa Rica will advance

Group B

England & Sweden

Group C

Argentina & Holland

Group D

Mexico & Portugal

Group E

Czech Republic & The United States

Group F

Brazil & Australia (Japan could push 'em though, the croats have no team now)

Group G

France for certain, can't pick between the swiss or Koreans

Group H

Spain & Ukraine

You agreed with some of it.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 05/13/06 at 4:48 pm

You agreed with some of it.  ;D

Well.. yes, somewhat.

shh.

Hopefully Steven Gerrard didn't do anything to his leg, just cramp I expect.

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/06 at 4:58 pm

Well.. yes, somewhat.

shh.

Hopefully Steven Gerrard didn't do anything to his leg, just cramp I expect.

Very true. Let's hope it stays cramp.

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/15/06 at 4:28 pm

Marco van Basten has revealed the names of the 23 players that will go to the World Cup 2006:

Goalkeepers:
Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United)
Henk Timmer (AZ)
Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax).

Defense:
Andr

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/06 at 4:30 pm

Marco van Basten has revealed the names of the 23 players that will go to the World Cup 2006:

Goalkeepers:
Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United)
Henk Timmer (AZ)
Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax).

Defense:
Andr

Subject: Re: World Cup 2006 - its own thread

Written By: Guest on 05/15/06 at 4:34 pm

World Cup 2006 - it's own thread

No apostrophe. What you just said is "it is own thread."

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/06 at 4:35 pm

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Tottenham), David James (Manchester City), Robert Green (Norwich)

Defenders: Gary Neville (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), John Terry (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Sol Campbell (Arsenal), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea)

Midfielders: David Beckham (Real Madrid), Michael Carrick (Tottenham), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Michael Owen (Newcastle), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Standby: Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

So this is who Sven Goran Erikson will take to the world cup.

I'm still not sold on the idea of taking just three strikers, considering at the moment only one of them has world cup experience, and only two are fully fit.  :P

Joe Cole can however work as a great striker and between them Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard had a goal total of nearly 50.

A proud day for my family as my cousin Michael heads off to the world cup.  :)

I still think leaving Jenas or Hargreves behind and taking Defoe would have been a good idea. I'm not Jermaine Defoe's biggest fan by any means but he still presents another attacking option should Rooney not be fit, Crouch not play well and Walcott disapoint.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/19/06 at 7:04 am

Frankly, who gives a toss, except you, regularly, by the looks of it  ::)

Written By: Bobby on 05/19/06 at 7:06 am

LOL!!!

You go, Fuss!

k.

Written By: Paul on 05/19/06 at 7:10 am

Must be a Tartan Army supporter!

Written By: Paul on 05/19/06 at 7:12 am

Still attached to his ankle...glory be!

Written By: karen on 05/19/06 at 7:13 am

I caught something on the radio this morning.  It's still doubful whether Rooney will be fit in time.  Cole has said he can play up front if needed.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/19/06 at 7:14 am

LOL!!!

You go, Fuss!

k.

;)

Bigger tosser than Lee Bowyer and Robbie Savage combined  :P

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/19/06 at 7:15 am

I caught something on the radio this morning.  It's still doubful whether Rooney will be fit in time.  Cole has said he can play up front if needed.

One hopes you mean Joe, and not Ashley  :)

Written By: Paul on 05/19/06 at 7:18 am

Or Nat 'King'...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/19/06 at 7:20 am

Or Nat 'King'...

Or a striker even worse these days than Nat King...  Andy  ;D

Written By: karen on 05/19/06 at 7:22 am

Not sure I wasn't paying that much attention!

Written By: Paul on 05/19/06 at 7:26 am

Or a striker even worse these days than Nat King...  Andy  ;D

There was always that old joke when he was with the 'other' Manchester team...

Q. Why does Eric Cantona always play with his shirt collar up?

A. Because he doesn't want to get his neck dirty...he's always carrying Cole!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/19/06 at 7:37 am

There was always that old joke when he was with the 'other' Manchester team...

Q. Why does Eric Cantona always play with his shirt collar up?

A. Because he doesn't want to get his neck dirty...he's always carrying Cole!

Funny.  Cantona, now there was a flawed genius  ::)

Written By: Bobby on 05/19/06 at 7:42 am

Funny.  Cantona, now there was a flawed genius  ::)

Yes, he got a kick out of football . . . in more ways than one.  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/24/06 at 5:38 am

really hope the U.S. at least makes it to the quarter finals, but I doubt that happens.  We probably won't make it beyond the first round.  We gotta play Italy and the Czech republic first.. I don't think that will be easy.

The same freaking teams always win it seems.

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 5:45 am

[quote author=

Written By: Bobby on 05/24/06 at 5:48 am

[quote author=

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 5:50 am

So your first match is on Monday 12th June  (the full Group E schedule is here) will you be able to watch the matches?

It's like the same country winning the World Series.  ;) ;D

Well, there is an exception which proves the rule!

Written By: La Roche on 05/24/06 at 8:44 am

Canadian teams have won the world series  ;)

So your first match is on Monday 12th June  (the full Group E schedule is here)

Dang, we get better coverage here than you guys do in Europe.

We have numerous dedicated channels.

As the worlds only remaining superpower we have to keep abreast of global competitions.

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 8:57 am

Once only I think, in the mid-90's.  We had an American guy in the dept at the time and he stayed up most of the night watching the game only for the satellite link to fade in the last moments.

Perhaps Sky Sports (spit) have better coverage?

As the worlds only remaining superpower we have to keep abreast of global competitions.

The US is only a superpower because we decided to abdicate and let one of the children do it  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 05/24/06 at 9:01 am

We have numerous dedicated channels.

Two countries winning The World Series - one once apparently.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 05/24/06 at 9:04 am

Once only I think, in the mid-90's.  We had an American guy in the dept at the time and he stayed up most of the night watching the game only for the satellite link to fade in the last moments.

Dang, that's gotta suck, there would be up-roar if that happened.
By the way, for you folks who love to complain about it being called the World Series, we recently hosted the World Baseball Classic, essentially a world cup with some 16 teams in it.  :)

Perhaps Sky Sports (spit) have better coverage?

Doubt it. But it's a Murdoch station - The Fox Soccer channel. Or any of the ESPN channels, or GOL.

The US is only a superpower because we decided to abdicate and let one of the children do it  ;)

::) You're poor standard of and high cost of living, coupled with fleeting industrial and military power suggests otherwise  ;)

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 9:12 am

::) You're poor standard of and high cost of living, coupled with fleeting industrial and military power suggests otherwise  ;)

We could debate universal healthcare versus health insurance for those that can afford etc.  I know where I'd rather live.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/24/06 at 9:16 am

We could debate universal healthcare versus health insurance for those that can afford etc.  I know where I'd rather live.

Yes, but the UK is too cold, and too rainy. 

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 9:27 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/24/06 at 9:30 am

Or put another way, it never gets too hot to breathe and no hurricanes

Hot weather I can handle.  It gets a bit uncomfortable from time to time, however, cold weather is actually debilitating to me.

Written By: La Roche on 05/24/06 at 10:59 pm

;D I'm messing with you.

Back on topic.

Owen is starting with Crouch or Walcott on Thursday?

Written By: karen on 05/25/06 at 4:17 am

Owen is starting with Crouch or Walcott on Thursday?

According to the Beeb Crouch will start and then Walcott will come off the bench later.

Rooney is having a scan on his foot today but we might not hear the results until tomorrow.  Full report here

Written By: karen on 05/31/06 at 10:47 am

World Cup Squads Just Announced

The following squads have just been announced for the 2006 World Cup: 

BRAZILIAN SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

Pinnochio 

Libero 

Vimto Memento Borneo Tango 

Cheerio Subbuteo 

Scenario Fellatio 

Portfolio 

SUBS: Placebo, Porno, Polio, Banjo, Brasso, Stereo (L), Stereo (R), Hydrochlorofluoro, Aristotle, Computersezno 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YUGOSLAVIAN SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

Itch 

Annoyingitch Hardtoreachitch Scratchanitch 

Hic Sic Spic Pric 

Digaditch Fallinaditch 

Horseraditch 

SUBS: Mowapitch, Letsgetrich, Shagabitch 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUSSIAN SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

Whodyanicabolicov 

Ticlycov Chesticov Nasticov 

Slalomsky Downhillsky 

Risky Swedishshev Mastershev 

****ov U****ov 

SUBS: Rubitov, Gechakitov, Sodov, Pastryshev, Najinsky, Ivorripa*******ov, Taykitov 

ROMANIAN SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

Chatanoogaciouciou 

Atishiou Blessiou Thankyiou 

Busqueue Snookercu 

Pennyciou Twoapennyciou Fourapennyciou 

I'llgetciou Youandwhosarmi 

SUBS: U, NonU, ManU, Stuffyiou, Lee Kwan Yu 

DANISH SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

Toomanigoalssen 

Tryandstopussen cr*pdefenssen Haveagossen 

Firstsson Seccondsson 

Thirdsson 

Legshurtssen Notroubleseeingussen 

Wherestheballssen Getthebeerssen 

SUBS: Howmanygoalsisthatssen, Finallygaveupcountinssen, Hurryupandblowthewhistlessen, Yourelatedtoalexfergusonssen 

ITALIAN SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

Baloni 

Potbelli Beerbelli Giveitsumwelli 

Wotsontelli Yrarseissmelli Onetoomani 

Legslikejelli Havabenni 

Wobblijelli Spendapenni 

SUBS: Cantthinkofani!!!, Buggermi 

MEXICAN SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

San Francisco 

Costa Brava Hopelez Juan Andonly 

Manuel Gearbox 

Don Criformi-Argentina Skrewdigalz Luis Canon Sombrero 

Chihuahua Jose 

SUBS: Jesus Maria Don Key, Burrito, Speedy Gonzalez, Tequila, Caramba 

DUTCH SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

Kenning van Hire 

Van Diemansland Van der Valk Van Gard Van Erealdizeez 

Ad van Tagus Hertz van Rental Transit van Dors 

Van Coova Van Sprokendown Aye van Hoe 

SUBS: Van Iller, Van Ishincreme, Van Morrison 

Two players who are not included are Russian hard-man Sendimov, who will be serving a three-month suspension, and the hard-working Mexican midfielder, Manuel Labor. 

There is no place in the Dutch squad for lesbian tranny, Dick van Dyke. 

The young Dutch star Per Vert has been excluded from the squad, after he was discovered in the back streets of Amsterdam with his finger in a dyke.

Written By: Paul on 05/31/06 at 5:03 pm

Two players who are not included are Russian hard-man Sendimov, who will be serving a three-month suspension...

I hear frantic discussions are continuing in order to replace him with a defender who is more renowned for his snooker skills...

Inov The Red

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/01/06 at 11:02 am

DUTCH SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP 2006 

Kenning van Hire 

Van Diemansland Van der Valk Van Gard Van Erealdizeez 

Ad van Tagus Hertz van Rental Transit van Dors 

Van Coova Van Sprokendown Aye van Hoe 

SUBS: Van Iller, Van Ishincreme, Van Morrison 

There is no place in the Dutch squad for lesbian tranny, Dick van Dyke. 

The young Dutch star Per Vert has been excluded from the squad, after he was discovered in the back streets of Amsterdam with his finger in a dyke.

It is a misunderstanding to think that all Dutch names include "van".(My name doesn't, for instance) Nevertheless, I like the idea of having Van Morrison sitting on the bench. ;D

I used to do a similar "name" thing for foreign teams with my brother (the Swedish team and those from Eastern Europe were most popular), but of course those names are only funny in Dutch. Apart from that, I've forgotten most of them. We should've written them down...

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 11:04 am

It is a misunderstanding to think that all Dutch names include "van".(My name doesn't, for instance) Nevertheless, I like the idea of having Van Morrison sitting on the bench. ;D

I know several Dutch people and none of them have van as part of their name,  I guess it could have included variations on 'Aardenuff' or similar.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/06 at 2:00 am

I know several Dutch people and none of them have van as part of their name,  I guess it could have included variations on 'Aardenuff' or similar.
Ludwig Van Beethoven had a Van in his name and he was German.

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/02/06 at 1:34 pm

Ludwig Van Beethoven had a Van in his name and he was German.

That was "Von", not "Van".  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/06 at 1:38 pm

That was "Von", not "Van".  ;)
Just testing the system.  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:06 am

World Cup Squads Just Announced

Love it  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:17 am

Hey hey !

We warmed up for the Cup by beating Euro Champions Greece  ::) ;D 1-0 in Melbourne a week ago.

95000 people for a football match in Australia - broke the previous record by about 35000 I think  :)

Tomorrow night we have a slightly more difficult match against Holland before taking on the might of Lichtenstein  :P before the tournament proper starts  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 8:18 am

England have just kick-off in their last warm-up match before the World Cup starts.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:20 am

England have just kick-off in their last warm-up match before the World Cup starts.

Jamaica hey ?  Good luck, that's a hiding to nothing in prospect  :o

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:21 am

And i see Sven's boys are 1-0 up already  :D

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 8:22 am

Satellite delay, Luke? :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 8:22 am

It seems you have more information than me.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:23 am

2-0 - it's a cakewalk !  :o

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:24 am

It seems you have more information than me.

http://soccernet-att.espn.go.com/scoreboard?league=all&lpos=wcnav&lid=gn_sn_fifa.world+Scoreboard&cc=3436

Go fo it !  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:24 am

Satellite delay, Luke? :P

I was HOPING it would be on TV but nooooo.....

So I am watching updated internet scores Matt  :(

I got to see the Hungary match live the other day though  :)  That was a nice treat for me

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 8:28 am

http://soccernet-att.espn.go.com/scoreboard?league=all&lpos=wcnav&lid=gn_sn_fifa.world+Scoreboard&cc=3436

Go fo it !  :)
I am tuning into Test Match Special for the cricket.

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 8:28 am

Presumably these updates are coming from the only place that matters?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 8:29 am

I was HOPING it would be on TV but nooooo.....

So I am watching updated internet scores Matt  :(

I got to see the Hungary match live the other day though  :)  That was a nice treat for me
The game is on BBC1.

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 8:32 am

That's the third goal. From Crouch. Accompanied with the dance.

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 8:34 am

That's the fourth. From Owen. After 31.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:34 am

The game is on BBC1.

This of course, relies on one being able to pick UP BBC 1  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:35 am

That's the third goal. From Crouch. Accompanied with the dance.

That's the fourth. From Owen. After 31.

Hmmm, You realise of course this is anti-beneficial to your cause.......  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 8:36 am

^^ I was just watching then and saw the goal live, knocking the ball pass the goalie, and remaining onside.

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 8:37 am

We're still sixfer in the Test Match. Free kick coming up...

And it's a... poor one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 8:39 am

We're still sixfer in the Test Match. Free kick coming up...

And it's a... poor one.
Not England has made 50 yet.

Brilliant sunshine at Old Trafford.

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 8:46 am

As we approach half time, Beckham is still on the pitch, and the guys contemplate the half time team talk from the Jamaican coach.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 8:50 am

As we approach half time, Beckham is still on the pitch, and the guys contemplate the half time team talk from the Jamaican coach.
Do footballers still have a half of an orange at half time?

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 9:04 am

I snuck into a dressing room at my village club the other day and helped myself to half an orange while nobody else was looking. It certainly happens in this area!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 9:06 am

I snuck into a dressing room at my village club the other day and helped myself to half an orange while nobody else was looking. It certainly happens in this area!

Animal  ;D ;D ;D

This is the REAL reason for the poor reputation of England supporters  :P

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 9:07 am

The Jamaicans are late, and James is now in goal instead of Robinson. Jermaine Taylor is also coming off, being replaced by Shane Crawford.

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 9:30 am

Crouch has made it five, and provides us with yet another one of his wonderful dances. Lampard and Beckham are replaced by Carrick and debutant Lennon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 9:30 am

Just think, you have deprived future England footballers nourishment and have probably ruin their chance in an excellent career playing International football.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 9:30 am

Three Spurs players on the field.

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 9:44 am

A foul to Owen brings a penalty. Crouch is going for the hat-trick (presumably he'll be given the other goal) and.. he lobs it over the top!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 9:47 am

A foul to Owen brings a penalty. Crouch is going for the hat-trick (presumably he'll be given the other goal) and.. he lobs it over the top!
If scored it would have been the best rest in the Sven's reign as coach.

Written By: Bobo on 06/03/06 at 9:51 am

Crouch makes it six-nil to England, his hat trick, the best goal of the day, and the best result under Sven Goran Eriksson.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/04/06 at 10:03 am

Netherlands 1 Australia 1  :) :) :) :) :)  :D

To say I am happy is a reasonable understatement - it's always nice to get a return on staying up till all hours  ;)

Specially as Aus played like crap in the first half...

PS :

Arjen Robben : biggest diver since Jurgen Klinsmann, what a fraud  >:( >:( >:(

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/04/06 at 10:39 am

Netherlands 1 Australia 1   :) :) :) :) :)   :D

To say I am happy is a reasonable understatement - it's always nice to get a return on staying up till all hours  ;)

Not just the first half... :P You were just lucky to get a goal in (our bad!).

PS :

...and to say he got rewarded for those alleged divings..? ::)

btw: Did you notice how efficient our corners were..? :o I think we got 13 during the match, and just what did we do with them..? Absolutely zilch! >:(

Written By: Paul on 06/04/06 at 1:19 pm

Would it be possible to have...

Jamaica, Jamaica and Jamaica as our opponents in Group B?

(I had this nightmarish vision of losing 5-4 when James got plonked in goal...!!)

Written By: La Roche on 06/04/06 at 3:07 pm

Netherlands 1 Australia 1  :) :) :) :) :)  :D

PS :

Nice to see the physical Australian game may well have deprived the world of seeing how great a player Wesley Snjeider is.  ;D

Oh well.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/05/06 at 3:01 am

Not just the first half... :P You were just lucky to get a goal in (our bad!).

Oooh !  You're a hard man, Henk  :)

...and to say he got rewarded for those alleged divings..? ::)

Allow me to re-phrase.  I am not saying he wasn't fouled on occasion, it it his willingness to soar through the air like a Fokker that irritates me... :-\\

btw: Did you notice how efficient our corners were..? :o I think we got 13 during the match, and just what did we do with them..? Absolutely zilch! >:(

I did notice that... 

I also acknowledge that you guys should on balance have won the game, but we are claiming the moral victory  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/05/06 at 3:02 am

Nice to see the physical Australian game may well have deprived the world of seeing how great a player Wesley Snjeider is.  ;D

Oh well.

What can one say ?  Dutch coach - Hiddink.  Dutch Asst Coach - Neeskens.  The equation is clear  :P

Besides, Wesley Snjeider is a Basketballer's name if ever there was one  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 06/05/06 at 9:51 am

What can one say ?  Dutch coach - Hiddink.  Dutch Asst Coach - Neeskens.  The equation is clear  :P

Besides, Wesley Snjeider is a Basketballer's name if ever there was one  ;)

;D

Maybe.

I still think you need Danny Tiatto in there, cripple Ronaldinho for life.

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/05/06 at 9:52 am

Oooh !  You're a hard man, Henk  :)

Not hard - just honest. ;) Your side didn't get that many chances now, did they? And the best one they got, they didn't get in.. :-\\

Allow me to re-phrase.  I am not saying he wasn't fouled on occasion, it it his willingness to soar through the air like a Fokker that irritates me... :-\\

I tend to disagree. There's other players (on our side too) that irritate me much more. Kluivert comes to mind, as well as Van Nistelrooy. Instead of working for their money, they just keep nagging and moaning about how they're being hindered by players of the opposite team.
That's something that really pi$$es me of. >:(

I did notice that...

You'd say they'd have practised these situations over and over again... :-\\

I also acknowledge that you guys should on balance have won the game, but we are claiming the moral victory  ;D

A win or a draw, I don't really mind. We'll meet you guys again in the quarter final, I reckon. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/07/06 at 2:32 pm

Wayne Rooney is on a plane back heading back to Germany.

Written By: Paul on 06/07/06 at 2:46 pm

Wayne Rooney is on a plane back heading back to Germany.

Which is marvellous news, but I can't help feeling that, once he is 'playable', he'll be a 'marked man' from the start...

Mind you, better than Jermain Defoe, I suppose!

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/07/06 at 2:52 pm

World Cup latest (friendly match):

Australia 3 - Liechtenstein 1

With only 13 minutes to go, it was still one all.
...so should we get worried..? :-\\

Written By: Paul on 06/07/06 at 3:15 pm

World Cup latest (friendly match):

Australia 3 - Liechtenstein 1

Isn't Liechtenstein's team made up of half of the principality's population?

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/07/06 at 3:42 pm

Isn't Liechtenstein's team made up of half of the principality's population?

Or thereabout. ;D

But seriously...It's not really a big deal, beating Liechtenstein, is it?  ::) It's not a team that I would have picked for a final opponent before the World Cup. I mean: if you win, it's because you're supposed to (so no big deal), but if you draw or lose... :o(and stranger things have happened!).

Written By: Paul on 06/07/06 at 4:42 pm

But seriously...It's not really a big deal, beating Liechtenstein, is it?  ::)

It's also no great achievement in slotting half a dozen past Jamaica, but it keeps the fans happy!

Speaking of 'fans' (and I use the term very loosely, here...)

It looks like some hardcore England 'thugs' (who were banned from travelling to Germany) have somehow managed to get there (wonderful security that we have!)

The sooner the Polizei get hold of these morons, the better...

Written By: karen on 06/08/06 at 6:15 am

On another messageboard we're running a sweepstake for the world cup.  I ended up with Ukraine and France.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/06 at 6:16 am

On another messageboard we're running a sweepstake for the world cup.  I ended up with Ukraine and France.
Do France have a good chance of winning?

Written By: La Roche on 06/08/06 at 12:31 pm

It looks like some hardcore England 'thugs' (who were banned from travelling to Germany) have somehow managed to get there (wonderful security that we have!)

After the death of the casual the Eastern European fans took up the baton.

English fans still have the reputation, but after going to matches in Estonia and Montenegro I can safely say I'd keep my jacket buttoned up if you know what I mean.

Written By: Paul on 06/08/06 at 3:30 pm

English fans still have the reputation, but after going to matches in Estonia and Montenegro I can safely say I'd keep my jacket buttoned up if you know what I mean.

Loud and clear, matey!

Anyway, the whole shebang kicks off (literally) in a matter of hours time, so whoever's taking an interest...

Good Luck & 'Bring On The Footy'...

Written By: La Roche on 06/08/06 at 3:36 pm

Loud and clear, matey!

Anyway, the whole shebang kicks off (literally) in a matter of hours time, so whoever's taking an interest...

Good Luck & 'Bring On The Footy'...

Of course, Ajax vs PSV was an eye-opener as well.  ;D

BRING EM ALL ON!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/06 at 1:34 am

After the death of the casual the Eastern European fans took up the baton.

With the World Cup starting today all police leave has been cancelled, good luck?

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/09/06 at 1:38 am

This topic should be moved to the Sports Zone, I think.

Written By: karen on 06/09/06 at 3:21 am

[quote author=

Written By: Paul on 06/09/06 at 6:48 am

And it will be if Bobo requests it.

So there!

We could start a new thread on World Cup songs as well.  My locla radio station has been playing a selction of the new ones.

There's been so many this year...it's become a bit of an overkill...

For my money, you can't beat 'Back Home' from our 1970 squad (when we were still world champions...sigh!)

Written By: karen on 06/09/06 at 7:18 am

I like This Time (We'll Get It Right)

FOund this song lyrics page with all the football songs that charted.

http://www.btinternet.com/~upforgrabsnow/lyrics1.html

Written By: Paul on 06/09/06 at 7:41 am

Still got that somewhere (but I did wisely decide against buying the album!)

It never really struck me until someone pointed it out to me a while back, but there's one line to it which is wrong...

'Hear the roar of the red, white and blue...'

There isn't any blue in England's colours!

Written By: karen on 06/09/06 at 7:44 am

Still got that somewhere (but I did wisely decide against buying the album!)

It never really struck me until someone pointed it out to me a while back, but there's one line to it which is wrong...

'Hear the roar of the red, white and blue...'

There isn't any blue in England's colours!

There's a teeny, tiny bit on the badge

Written By: karen on 06/09/06 at 7:45 am

and it would have to rhyme with either white or red.  what's rhymes with white?  sheeshe?  not a good choice!

Written By: Morton on 06/09/06 at 7:46 am

w00t! I am really psyched about the World Cup now... i've spent the last hour listening to footie songs!  :D

Written By: Paul on 06/09/06 at 7:47 am

There's a teeny, tiny bit on the badge

Okay...point taken, but I was looking at it from a 'national flag' viewpoint!  ;)

I'll go back to sleep...wake me up in time for kick-off tomorrow!

Written By: Morton on 06/09/06 at 7:56 am

I've changed my wallpaper!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/06 at 12:49 pm

Even Google has go into the swing of things.

http://www.google.co.uk/logos/worldcup06_uk.gif

Written By: BarbarianAlexander on 06/09/06 at 4:55 pm

Yes, We are back. Nobody can take the cup from our land this time. Yeah, the goals we conceded were stupid but we are leaning for sure. The other game I think Poland should play another qualifying round with teams ranking more than 100.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/10/06 at 7:23 am

Believe it or not, this Aussie has that on a 45  ;D

(Helps that I was in Britain in April of 82  ;))

It's a pretty snazzy tune.

Of course, they didn't get it right, but, you know...  :)

Written By: Paul on 06/10/06 at 5:41 pm

Hm...does he now?

It's a pretty snazzy tune.

Always thought it was a bit 'naff'...mind you, worth catching the TV performances for Keegan's 'bubble perm' alone!

Written by two past members of ('Next Door To Alice') Smokie...

And Adrian ('Classic') Gurvitz had a hand in the flip side...which probably explains why we didn't 'get it right'!

Anyway...best of luck to you lot on Monday...give 'em hell... ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/11/06 at 7:15 am

Always thought it was a bit 'naff'...mind you, worth catching the TV performances for Keegan's 'bubble perm' alone!

Written by two past members of ('Next Door To Alice') Smokie...

And Adrian ('Classic') Gurvitz had a hand in the flip side...which probably explains why we didn't 'get it right'!

Anyway...best of luck to you lot on Monday...give 'em hell... ;)

Keegan, great player, crap hairdo...apparently Rix, Souness and Robson were all going to the same hairdesser  ;D

Monday, thanks - it is our time  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/11/06 at 7:17 am

Hm...does he now?

Yes !  Oh that you could doubt me...I suffer mortally from my wound  :D

Refer attached  ;)

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 4:12 am

The Aussie manager seemed quietly confident about it all when I heard him interviewed on the radio this morning.

Did anyone hear watch the England match?  I heard bits of it on the radio but missed the goal.  Was it a Beckham goal or an own goal?  I heard both options.

Written By: Paul on 06/12/06 at 6:46 am

Did anyone hear watch the England match?

Sure did...but did we make things hard for ourselves in that 2nd half...

We could certainly do with stepping things up a notch...

Was it a Beckham goal or an own goal?  I heard both options.

According to FIFA (who draw up the rules on these things), it's been credited as a Gamarra own-goal...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/12/06 at 6:58 am

No reply to the picture Paul ?  :)

Written By: Paul on 06/12/06 at 7:05 am

No reply to the picture Paul ?  :)

Apologies...didn't think you were after one!

My copy's still gathering dust in the 'back room' along with the (ahem!) Scottish song from that year ('We Have A Dream')...

What can I say? I was young and foolish!

Just found out a little snippet of trivia re: Australia...

They have yet to score a World Cup goal...amazing, but sadly true...

In the '74 encounter, they lost 3-0 to West Germany, 2-0 to East Germany and drew 0-0 with Chile...

So, come on! Make up for lost time...whack several past the Japs!

Written By: mandamoo on 06/12/06 at 7:25 am

Let's hope so, Paul ! :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 7:39 am

Just 20 minutes to go...

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 7:50 am

Yes !  Oh that you could doubt me...I suffer mortally from my wound  :D

Refer attached  ;)

Not sure I'd admit to actually owning the record!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/12/06 at 7:52 am

Apologies...didn't think you were after one!

My copy's still gathering dust in the 'back room' along with the (ahem!) Scottish song from that year ('We Have A Dream')...

What can I say? I was young and foolish!

Just found out a little snippet of trivia re: Australia...

They have yet to score a World Cup goal...amazing, but sadly true...

In the '74 encounter, they lost 3-0 to West Germany, 2-0 to East Germany and drew 0-0 with Chile...

I was 12 when I sat up and watched that, and it is a fact that is not lost on all Aussies !  Whether we do well or not, I REALLY want us to score goals.

Here's another little snippet.  Stan Lazaridis has played over 60 times (I think) for Australia and has never scored  :o  I am tipping him to do so on the big stage  :D  (Assuming he gets to play that is  ;))

I am sure some of our guys may quietly mention the war to them in passing  :P :-\\ ;)

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 7:52 am

Come on Japan  :D :D

http://www.durisol.com/graphics/japan%20flag.gif

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 8:59 am

Come on Japan  :D :D

http://www.durisol.com/graphics/japan%20flag.gif

w00t! Japan are leading in the first half!  :D

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 9:29 am

It's not looking good for Australia is it?

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 9:30 am

It's not looking good for Australia is it?

Nope!  ;D

Viduka (their 'Star Player' couldn't even score an easy free kick on the edge of the area)  :P

Their defense is all over the place, they're not taking the opportunites they're given... perhaps they should stick to Rugby  ;D

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 9:37 am

perhaps they should stick to Rugby  ;D

Actually, after watching some of the Aussies play, you'd think they were playing Rugby... how dirty are the Aussies?!

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 9:46 am

Actually, after watching some of the Aussies play, you'd think they were playing Rugby... how dirty are the Aussies?!

What a surprise. The Aussies push, shove and foul an equaliser. Proves my point that they can't play proper football

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 9:50 am

I'm not watching I just have the BBC automatic score thingy.

Australia 2 Japan 1

modified 'cos Aus scored again!!

Written By: Paul on 06/12/06 at 9:53 am

Same here...I'll catch the highlights later...

Australia 2 Japan 1

Cahill again...and there goes a third! (Aloisi)

Seems to be something of a 'comeback...!! Well done, Aus...

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 9:54 am

Australia 2 Japan 1

That was disgusting. Australia are the dirtiest team in the competition. Japan were the better team. They showed real skill and they never lashed out or fouled the Australia players. Japan should have gone away with three points

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 10:00 am

That was disgusting. Australia are the dirtiest team in the competition. Japan were the better team. They showed real skill and they never lashed out or fouled the Australia players. Japan should have gone away with three points

Reading the BBC report makes it appear slightly different.  I counted 4 and half Japanese fouls and 3 to the Aussies.  Japan got the first foul mentioned and the first booking

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/12/06 at 10:03 am

Right Dak.  ::) They all play in WHOSE leagues ?  ;)

Why don't you concentrate on how woeful England were the other night  :o ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thanks.  I came here to say I was a little freakin' happy about the result, and the comeback.

PS  Thank you Karen for a little perspective  ;)

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 10:10 am

Reading the BBC report makes it appear slightly different.  I counted 4 and half Japanese fouls and 3 to the Aussies.  Japan got the first foul mentioned and the first booking

I saw no less than 2 Aussies shove the Japanese players during the second half... speaks for itself, really

Why don't you concentrate on how woeful England were the other night  :o ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I believe i've already discussed that match. And we weren't WOEFUL, we played well in the first half. We were BAD in the second half, but not THAT bad  >:(

At least England don't have to play dirty to win games

Written By: La Roche on 06/12/06 at 10:26 am

Blah Blah.

The game how it's supposed to be played.
Hard and Physical.

Make your mind up pal, I know you'll complain when the south americans dive all over the place as well.  ;)

A great result, I'm glad I got up for it!

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 10:28 am

Blah Blah.

The game how it's supposed to be played.
Hard and Physical.

No, sorry, you appear to have gotten yourself confused with Rugby. Football (soccer) is actually supposed to be a non-contact sport as far as possible

Written By: La Roche on 06/12/06 at 10:29 am

No, sorry, you appear to have gotten yourself confused with Rugby. Football (soccer) is actually supposed to be a non-contact sport as far as possible

I suppose that makes such greats as Terry Butcher and Paul Ince awful players then?

English Football has always been very physical. It's the way the game is supposed to be played, obviously you can't throw punches, but the game came out of Rugby, it involves a lot of physical interaction.

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 10:32 am

I suppose that makes such greats as Terry Butcher and Paul Ince awful players then?

English Football has always been very physical. It's the way the game is supposed to be played, obviously you can't throw punches, but the game came out of Rugby, it involves a lot of physical interaction.

No, you can't throw punches. And according to the rules, you can't go around shoving players for no reason.. but that's what I saw the Aussies do at least twice. One time, the Japanese player wasn't even on the ball?!

Written By: La Roche on 06/12/06 at 10:32 am

No, you can't throw punches. And according to the rules, you can't go around shoving players for no reason.. but that's what I saw the Aussies do at least twice. One time, the Japanese player wasn't even on the ball?!

So what? They're Japanese.  ;D

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 10:34 am

So what? They're Japanese.  ;D

That's not the point.

At least one of the Aussies should have been red carded. That first Australian goal was a shambles

Written By: La Roche on 06/12/06 at 10:35 am

That's not the point.

At least one of the Aussies should have been red carded. That first Australian goal was a shambles

Not really. Some sloppy defending (that's what you get with a Brazilian coach) a scrappy goal yes.. but not shambolic.

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 10:37 am

Not really. Some sloppy defending (that's what you get with a Brazilian coach) a scrappy goal yes.. but not shambolic.

Meh. It wasn't really a great game unless you're Australian

I mean Jesus, they win a game against Japan and suddenly they think they can go all the way  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 10:40 am

I've got to side with Davey.  Its no big deal.  Its not as if they were throwing punches.  Basketball isn't technically supposed to be contact either but everyone knows a certain amount of roughness is involved.  Its a f*cking professional sport.  Its as competitive as you can get.  Of couse its gonna be a little rough.

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 10:51 am

Fine. Australia aren't gonna go far. They're playing Brazil next... should be a laugh

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 10:53 am

Read this report from the BBC site.  The only foul mentioned was a Japanese one.  They also mention Japan obstructing the Aussie goalie.

I came here to say I was a little freakin' happy about the result, and the comeback.

Well done

Written By: Morton on 06/12/06 at 10:54 am

Read this report from the BBC site.  The only foul mentioned was a Japanese one.  They also mention Japan obstructing the Aussie goalie.

I know what I saw, I don't need a report telling me what I saw. In fact, the BBC also showed the Australian coach shoving his considerable weight around... does it mention that in the report? no

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 11:15 am

USA 0 Czech Republic 1

5 mins: GOAL USA 0-1 Czech Republic
Zdenek Grygera bursts down the right and his pinpoint cross is a gift for 6ft 7ins striker Jan Koller to nod in.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 11:38 am

USA 0 Czech Republic 1

5 mins: GOAL USA 0-1 Czech Republic
Zdenek Grygera bursts down the right and his pinpoint cross is a gift for 6ft 7ins striker Jan Koller to nod in.

Um, wait, is this game still going on? ???

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 11:41 am

[quote author=

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 11:42 am

USA 0 Czech Republic 2 now

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 11:47 am

2-0.. come on USA!

We had a stroke of luck when that Czech player was put out.

Written By: La Roche on 06/12/06 at 11:55 am

[quote author=

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 11:55 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 12:14 pm

You don't cheer an injury.

Err, *I* did. :P

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 12:18 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Paul on 06/12/06 at 12:52 pm

At least England don't have to play dirty to win games

Quite...

...but it would be nice for England to show some 'fight' (and I don't mean pulling punches!) as the Australians seem to have shown in that match...

Roll on Thursday...

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/12/06 at 1:48 pm

lol...that was harsh. I do think the US will come back late in the game and equalise 2-2. They are actually dominated the game in terms of possession, shots at goal.etc.

Well... they didn't. It ended 0 - 3 for Czech Republic.

You don't cheer an injury.

Of course you don't. That's not cricket.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 1:52 pm

Quite...

...but it would be nice for England to show some 'fight' ...

Roll on Thursday...
Kick off at 5pm, that is the time I usually finished work, do I dash home to watch it, or go shopping in the empty shops?

Written By: chaka on 06/12/06 at 1:56 pm

USA lose 3-0...and who was saying they could win the cup?  ???

Written By: mandamoo on 06/12/06 at 2:48 pm

Thanks.  I came here to say I was a little freakin' happy about the result, and the comeback.

As you should be !  ;)

YAY to us !!!  :D :D :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/12/06 at 3:15 pm

As you should be !  ;)

YAY to us !!!  :D :D :D

Quite right Moo  :)

Methinks a certain someone in this thread is suffering a severe case of 'little brother comes good'  :P  Take a valium  ;)

Sorry our first goal wasn't up to the lofty standards set by the Stadium of Light ( ::) ;D) last season - I didn't realise that only GOOD goals were allowed now  :o  By God, let's take a game where one of the main criticisms from non-officianados is that the scoring is too low, and reduce the amount of goals  :D :D :D

We'll give it back then.  2-1.  Then Japan would have to give their barged goal of Schwarzer back.  2-0. We stil win.  I trust that Cahill's 2nd was good enough for you ?  ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/12/06 at 4:26 pm

Latest from the fields:

Italy 2 - Ghana 0 (final score)

...well, no real surprises there.

I've not seen the entire game, but from what I've seen some Ghana players were very lucky to not have been sent off...

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 4:59 pm

USA lose 3-0...and who was saying they could win the cup?  ???

I was. >:(

This is not how they usually play at all.  It was just a bad day, and the Czechs are a tough team.  They got stunned early on. 

We'll fare better against the Italians on Saturday. :)

Written By: karen on 06/13/06 at 3:28 am

Methinks a certain someone in this thread is suffering a severe case of 'little brother comes good'  :P  Take a valium  ;)

Sorry our first goal wasn't up to the lofty standards set by the Stadium of Light ( ::) ;D) last season - I didn't realise that only GOOD goals were allowed now  :o  By God, let's take a game where one of the main criticisms from non-officianados is that the scoring is too low, and reduce the amount of goals  :D :D :D

We'll give it back then.  2-1.  Then Japan would have to give their barged goal of Schwarzer back.  2-0. We stil win.  I trust that Cahill's 2nd was good enough for you ?  ;D

Did you hear that the Americans wanted to increase the number of points per goal because they thought 3 - 1 sounded a boring score.  You would have won 9 - 3 under their system.  And they'd still have lost!  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/13/06 at 3:43 am

Did you hear that the Americans wanted to increase the number of points per goal because they thought 3 - 1 sounded a boring score.  You would have won 9 - 3 under their system.  And they'd still have lost!  ;)

Divide it by three instead and yo ustill get the same end result  ???  The point is ?  :P

Well, let's not forget that it was the Yanks, who in their inimitable 'change-it-cos-we-know-best-even-though-we-don't-know-much-about-it style'  :P, introduced the 35-Yard offside line to the now-defunct NASL in the late 70's/early 80's.  ::)

http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/year/1982.html

Mercifully, FIFA had the balls to say to them "No ya don't, or no World Cup qualifiers"  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: karen on 06/13/06 at 3:49 am

Divide it by three instead and yo ustill get the same end result  ???  The point is ?  :P

That the score sounds more 'exciting' if bigger numbers are involved. 

Apparently  :-\\

Written By: Morton on 06/13/06 at 6:11 am

Sorry our first goal wasn't up to the lofty standards set by the Stadium of Light ( ::) ;D) last season

This is the WORLD CUP THREAD (you know, NATIONAL teams?)

Leave my home team the f*ck out of it  >:(

Written By: footyfan on 06/13/06 at 6:17 am

Someone needs to take a chill pill  ::)

Written By: chaka on 06/13/06 at 7:17 am

Someone needs to take a chill pill  ::)

thanks for that very original comment.

Written By: footyfan on 06/13/06 at 7:24 am

thanks for that very original comment.

You're welcome  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/13/06 at 7:58 am

Leave my home team the f*ck out of it  >:(

"You get what you give", sunshine  ;)

As I said earlier my lad, valium...

Please refer to the other thread where you had your spit at me, for more details  :)

Written By: Morton on 06/13/06 at 8:09 am

"You get what you give", sunshine  ;)

When did I ever make attacks against your local team? That's right, I didn't

You had no right making smart comments about Sunderland, seeing as how this is a thread based around National teams

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/13/06 at 8:15 am

When did I ever make attacks against your local team? That's right, I didn't

You had no right making smart comments about Sunderland, seeing as how this is a thread based around National teams

Ah hells bells man !  ::)  See the other thread and chill out, sport  ;)

Written By: Bobo on 06/13/06 at 12:44 pm

Switzerland look to be holding group favourites France 0-0, and earlier on Togo lost (albeit valiantly) to the last tournament's co-hosts and surprise semi-finalists South Korea.

Written By: A. Guest on 06/13/06 at 12:54 pm

The title of this thread should say "...its own thread"... the apostrophe should not be there! Because "it's" with the apostrophe is the contraction for "it is", so what it says here is "World Cup 2006 - it is own thread"...which doesn't make cents...er, sense. ::)

Written By: Bobo on 06/13/06 at 1:27 pm

Well, it does now, I suppose. Thanks for pointing that out, Mr. A. Guest.

The title of this thread should say "...its own thread"... the apostrophe should not be there! Because "it's" with the apostrophe is the contraction for "it is", so what it says here is "World Cup 2006 - it is own thread"...which doesn't make cents...er, sense. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/06 at 1:30 pm

So who is playing tonight?

Written By: Bobo on 06/13/06 at 1:37 pm

Brazil and Croatia. The coverage has started on the Beeb, and the match starts at 8:00.

So who is playing tonight?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/06 at 1:44 pm

Brazil and Croatia. The coverage has started on the Beeb, and the match starts at 8:00.
So that means my family will be home to watch it very soon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/06 at 2:08 pm

There is player called Fred playing for Brazil?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/15/06 at 5:07 am

Well, it does now, I suppose. Thanks for pointing that out, Mr. A. Guest.

Trouble is, Mr A Guest, has appeared before in this thread - Page 5 - as simply "Guest", with the accent on simple... :

Perhaps he should be referred to as P. Dantic  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/18/06 at 12:25 am

So, it's the big one tonight - at least for some people from the Southern Hemisphere :)

Obviously, for Australia, it is their World Cup Final.  This is a hurdle we have to negotiate, and it is a good test of where we really stand on the world stage.

We have had the players for a long time now, but Hiddink has managed to give them a belief and confidence no previous coach has ever really been able to harness.

How do I think we can get a result against Brazil ?

Stay patient, don't let ourselves be overrun by an onslaught in the first 10 - 15 minutes.  The longer we can keep Brazil from scoring, the more they will get rash - though that will take a while.  After all, the pressure is on them.  Australia has the fallback postion that no-one expects us to win, or draw, so if we don't, then who cares ? 

We care ;)  There is a belief that we can get something out of the game.  To be honest, I have moderate confidence in this happening, you never know.  Last time we played Brazil in the Confederations Cup, we beat them, so it is possible.

We also have to get at their fullbacks, Cafu and Roberto Carlos.  They are getting old.

As a friend of mine on the board told me :

"Brazil never changes...every Brazilian footballer wants to be a striker and, while I appreciate they are deadly in conjuring up something out of nothing, their defence is, at times, dubious when exploited..."

Let's hope tomorrow morning by my 4 o'clock I am wearing a bigger grin than I was after Japan :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 12:43 am

Yeah, I too believe that the prospect of the Socceroos winning is more than wishful thinking. Brazil were weak against Croatia (it has been said before), but I believe it was sort of deliberate - to give other teams a false sense of confidence. Brazil are renowned for starting tournaments slow, and finishing strongly. It'll still be a mighty challenge, but I can't imagine the roar of victory if we win.

Written By: mandamoo on 06/18/06 at 1:18 am

So, it's the big one tonight - at least for some people from the Southern Hemisphere :)

Let's hope tomorrow morning by my 4 o'clock I am wearing a bigger grin than I was after Japan :)

Let's hope so - I wish them the best of luck :)

Written By: Paul on 06/18/06 at 2:38 am

Go Australia!

I'll be rooting for yer (altho' not in (ahem!) that sense!)  ;)

Let's hope you can come away with a pretty dam' fantastic result... :)

Written By: Paul on 06/18/06 at 1:29 pm

Sadly, not that fantastic a result...but Brazil found it more difficult than that scoreline suggests...

A valiant performance in every sense...

All's not lost for the Socceroos...far from it!

Croatia seem to be having difficulty finding the net at the moment!

Written By: La Roche on 06/18/06 at 1:56 pm

Sadly, not that fantastic a result...but Brazil found it more difficult than that scoreline suggests...

I'd have to agree.

The second goal really flatters the Brazilians.

An outstanding performance from the Australian side.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/18/06 at 5:51 pm

Waaaah !  We played well, but did not take our chances.  Gotta do that.  :(

A couple of poor choices by Kewell and Bresciano when bearing down on goal. 

One of those games where yo uare left with a whole bunch of

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/19/06 at 4:39 am

I was SO happy we tied with Italy.  Now if we can beat Ghana on Thursday and if Italy beats the Czech republic than I think we'll advance. :)

Written By: Paul on 06/19/06 at 6:50 am

[quote author=

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/19/06 at 9:46 pm

No, no, no...in this game you don't 'tie'...you 'draw'!

I don't think there's been any mention of it, but it was a much better performance from the States (Italy's own goal was complete class!), despite the three sendings off...

I agree !  The USA result was HUGE as far as I was concerned.  Congrats to Master of Reality  :)

Written By: La Roche on 06/19/06 at 10:36 pm

I agree !  The USA result was HUGE as far as I was concerned.  Congrats to Master of Reality  :)

It was a great game. Mired by awful officiating. The lads put on a great performance. I'm pretty much desperate for them to go far. The better the national team does, the more the sport advances here.

I'm rather excited about Mr. Beckhams desire to play here. I don't care how good he is when he does, he's a HUGE! Marquee name.

Written By: Paul on 06/20/06 at 7:43 am

The final group games commencing today, with Germany v Ecuador and Sweden v England battling it out to ascertain who will play who this weekend...

Written By: karen on 06/20/06 at 10:27 am

The final group games commencing today, with Germany v Ecuador and Sweden v England battling it out to ascertain who will play who this weekend...

Germany were 2 - 0 up the last I heard.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/06 at 12:37 pm

Germany were 2 - 0 up the last I heard.
What was the final score?

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/06 at 12:40 pm

Finished 3-0 to Germany.

So, bar a Sweden will the fixtures will be Sweden vs Germany and England vs Ecuador.

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/20/06 at 12:41 pm

Germany 3 - Ecuador 0.

So you'd better not get defeated by the Swedes... ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/06 at 12:42 pm

So, bar a Sweden will the fixtures will be Sweden vs Germany and England vs Ecuador.
Is that if England beat Sweden?

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/06 at 12:43 pm

Is that if England beat Sweden?

If they win or draw. The only way it could be different is if Sweden were to win. Then the fixtures would be Sweden - Ecuador and England - Germany.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/06 at 12:45 pm

If they win or draw. The only way it could be different is if Sweden were to win. Then the fixtures would be Sweden - Ecuador and England - Germany.
Therefore, England not to lose?

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/06 at 12:46 pm

Therefore, England not to lose?

That would probably be the desired result, yes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/06 at 12:54 pm

That would probably be the desired result, yes.
Depends on who you support?

Written By: chaka on 06/20/06 at 2:49 pm

So far,so good.
It's half time and it's 1-0 for England!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/06 at 2:52 pm

So far,so good.
It's half time and it's 1-0 for England!
The pub across the road from me has been a bit on the quiet side tonight.

Written By: Paul on 06/20/06 at 3:54 pm

The pub across the road from me has been a bit on the quiet side tonight.

I'll bet it was like a morgue when that Swedish equaliser went in!

Some good fluid football from both sides...but what a foolish goal to concede (Sweden's 2nd...)

Well, we're both through...they meet Germany, we meet Ecuador...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/06 at 3:55 pm

Some good fluid football from both sides...but what a foolish goal to concede (Sweden's 2nd...)

Absolute silence.

Written By: Morton on 06/20/06 at 7:17 pm

We played well in the first half, but only in short bursts near the second... defending for both goals was absolutely atrocious. Still, we drew which means we play Ecuador on Sunday... which means...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I'M OFF WORK!!!!!!!

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/06 at 11:19 pm

We played well in the first half, but only in short bursts near the second... defending for both goals was absolutely atrocious. Still, we drew which means we play Ecuador on Sunday... which means...

I'M OFF WORK!!!!!!!

THANK YOU! Good man!

I'm sick to death of hearing English 'fans' go on about how awful the side has been. I'm sorry, but.. did they not win the group?

They played well today, very well in fact. Apart from in about what, the 89th minute? The 1st Swedish goal was just a good goal, not much could be done about it. I think fingers do have to point at Robinson for the second, but ya know, it's not like somebody else couldn't clear it. Just a communication breakdown, that kind of thing happens.

In all fairness, Ecuador really shouldn't be any sort of major obstacle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/06 at 12:58 am

So it is Sunday then, but what time?

Written By: mandamoo on 06/21/06 at 1:46 am

Well done to England  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/06 at 1:47 am

Well done to England  :)
So far, so good.

Written By: karen on 06/21/06 at 3:45 am

So it is Sunday then, but what time?

4.00 p.m.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/06 at 11:21 am

He's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming, Owen coming home!

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/21/06 at 4:15 pm

Netherlands 0 - Argentina 0

Well, that was one very exciting game I have been watching...(not!)

We've never been a real threat to the Argentines (who had the better chances). If we continue to play like this, it will be over in the next round...

Written By: Paul on 06/21/06 at 4:43 pm

Well, that was one very exciting game I have been watching...(not!)

We've never been a real threat to the Argentines (who had the better chances). If we continue to play like this, it will be over in the next round...

Hey! No need to be too despondent, Henk...

...I mean, at least you've still got some strikers!

Congratulations on getting through to the second phase... :)

Written By: mandamoo on 06/22/06 at 6:21 am

Here's hoping we beat Croatia in the final qualifier in around eight hours time.....

Written By: karen on 06/22/06 at 6:30 am

Yeah good luck to Australia in that match.

Do they need to win to go through to the next round?  I'm losing track.

Written By: Morton on 06/22/06 at 6:34 am

Yes. If Croatia win them, they'll go one place above them and Australia will finish third

Written By: mandamoo on 06/22/06 at 6:34 am

Thanks Karen - we need a win or a draw  :)

Written By: Paul on 06/22/06 at 6:49 am

Thanks Karen - we need a win or a draw  :)

...for a second-round encounter with either Italy, Ghana, or Czechoslovakia (even the USA, but that's a bit remote)...such is the congested state of Group E...

I wish you Aussies well...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/22/06 at 7:13 am

...for a second-round encounter with either Italy, Ghana, or Czechoslovakia (even the USA, but that's a bit remote)...such is the congested state of Group E...

I wish you Aussies well...

Oooh !  The USA, that would be nice - refer my post on Page 1 - Reply # 4  ;D  Here's hoping  :P

I am quietly confident.  Hiddink won't be playing for a draw, he will be going for a win, which is a good thing.  And given the Croatians have to win, they may leave themselves exposed at the back  :P

Now, if only we can put the ball in the net this time....  :)

Let's hope I can still post a  :) in 9 hours' time  ;)

Written By: Criz on 06/22/06 at 8:39 am

He's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming, Owen coming home!

It's really awful about Owen - and the fact that they kept replaying what happened to him - I couldn't watch it!

I know everyone's complaining about England - but hey, that's what we do! England never really play amazingly well in these tournaments and we are used to complaining because we expect so damn much!!

I honestly don't think we can win though, there are much better teams in the cup than the English team. Although we'd have a better chance if Lampard actually did something productive. He's so over-rated!!

Written By: La Roche on 06/22/06 at 11:02 am

It's really awful about Owen - and the fact that they kept replaying what happened to him - I couldn't watch it!

I know everyone's complaining about England - but hey, that's what we do! England never really play amazingly well in these tournaments and we are used to complaining because we expect so damn much!!

I honestly don't think we can win though, there are much better teams in the cup than the English team. Although we'd have a better chance if Lampard actually did something productive. He's so over-rated!!

No... no he isn't. Frank Lampard is without a shadow of a doubt one of the best midfielders in Europe. Problem is, he's played somewhat out of position with England. He is used to slotting in to the free role but whilst playing for England his movement is far more restricted.
Anyway, you obviously missed about the past 3 years where he's been superb in an England jersey.

You do however raise a good point.

The English press seem to be of the opinion that anything less than 7-0 is a travesty.. and then of course considering the simple nature of most of the people who still read English 'newspapers' they pick up on this and spout on about it themselves.

As Ghana showed today (and actually over the past couple of weeks) anybody can beat anybody on any given day. If you look at the 'top' teams in the competition, Argentina, Portgual, Brazil, Germany etc, these are all teams that the English side has a perfectly acceptable record against in the past few years.

Written By: Bobby on 06/22/06 at 2:02 pm

I agree. Well done Australia.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/22/06 at 2:06 pm

It was one hell of a match full of incident. Cole's goal was a cracker! Quite a bit of drama at the end of it . . . We were so certain to win. This means we still haven't beaten them in 30 odd years.  ;D

A bit of a shame for Owen but we're playing Ecuador in the next round so it's good that we have avoided Germany.

Written By: Paul on 06/22/06 at 2:17 pm

Ouch!

Me and my colossal mouth...I'll keep quiet from now on!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/06 at 2:18 pm

Ouch!

Me and my colossal mouth...I'll keep quiet from now on!
Spoken as in the same vain as Murray Walker.

Written By: Paul on 06/22/06 at 2:44 pm

Spoken as in the same vain as Murray Walker.

...but not half as good-looking!

Australia back in it with Craig Moore's equaliser from the spot...

And get this! Brazil's losing!

That's it, everyone...it's the end of the world!

Ah well...fun while it lasted!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 4:03 pm

Australia 2, Croatia 2

Doesn't matter, cos we're into the next round!  :)

Written By: Paul on 06/22/06 at 4:05 pm

Group F settles with Brazil steaming past Japan 4-1 and a glorious ding-dong battle between Australia & Croatia ending in 2-2...enough to put Australia through to the last 16 and a date with Italy...

Well done Aus...!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/06 at 4:11 pm

Who will Australia be playing in the next round?

Written By: Paul on 06/22/06 at 4:13 pm

Who will Australia be playing in the next round?

Italia...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/06 at 4:15 pm

Italia...
Could be a cracker?

Written By: Paul on 06/22/06 at 4:18 pm

Could be a cracker?

With the somewhat dubious performances the Italians have been churning out, it certainly could!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/22/06 at 5:18 pm

Simply stated :

:P :) ;) :D

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/22/06 at 5:30 pm

Simply stated :

:P :) ;) :D

...which roughly translates to "Advance Australia fair"....?  ::) ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/22/06 at 5:36 pm

...which roughly translates to "Advance Australia fair"....?  ::) ;)

Possibly  :)

Another interpretation may be that Zjelko Kalac has had his place on death row changed to a pardon...for now  :o :P

Written By: La Roche on 06/22/06 at 7:48 pm

Possibly  :)

Another interpretation may be that Zjelko Kalac has had his place on death row changed to a pardon...for now  :o :P

SPIDER KALAC!

Sorry, I get so excited at the mere mention of Spider.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/22/06 at 7:55 pm

SPIDER KALAC!

Sorry, I get so excited at the mere mention of Spider.

From hereon in so will *I*  ;D ;D

Written By: La Roche on 06/22/06 at 7:58 pm

From hereon in so will *I*  ;D ;D

You mean, you weren't before..  :o ;D

Written By: karen on 06/23/06 at 4:28 am

Well done to Australia

Written By: Paul on 06/23/06 at 6:50 am

Well done to Australia

Indeed...despite some 'strange' refereeing by Graham Poll (whose performance yesterday is being 'looked at' by FIFA's ref committee...)

Last of the group games being mopped up today...Spain looking likely to progress, but there should be a tussle with Ukraine & Tunisia...

But all eyes will be on Group G, where France, if they don't start finding some form and quickly, could find themselves exiting...

Written By: Bobby on 06/23/06 at 7:18 am

Group F settles with Brazil steaming past Japan 4-1 and a glorious ding-dong battle between Australia & Croatia ending in 2-2...enough to put Australia through to the last 16 and a date with Italy...

Well done Aus...!!

Japan just didn't have the stamina heading into the second half and got a kicking as a result. The Brazillian goals where excellent (that Ronaldo one was just poetry in motion) but to say they played well through the whole 90 minutes would be a lie.

I was impressed with the Aussies (despite the awful goalkeeping blunder). What I liked about them was their spirit to just keep on going for it! This shows that they can hold their own against Italy.

What was going on with the ref giving that guy 3 yellow cards before he got sent off.  ;D

Written By: Criz on 06/23/06 at 7:53 am

I'm really happey the Aussies got through! What a great game...shame a bout the ref! Who heard of one player getting 3 yellows in a match  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/06 at 11:53 am

I'm really happey the Aussies got through! What a great game...shame a bout the ref! Who heard of one player getting 3 yellows in a match  ::)
What are the chances of England v Australia for the final?

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/25/06 at 4:05 pm

What are the chances of England v Australia for the final?

I don't know about that happening, Philip, but please do us a favour and beat the sh!t out of those Portugese. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/06 at 4:17 pm

I don't know about that happening, Philip, but please do us a favour and beat the sh!t out of those Portugese. ;D
I will put my ESP Vibes onto them...

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/25/06 at 4:29 pm

I will put my ESP Vibes onto them...

We've already crippled them for you. ;) Two players were sent off and will be suspended, and Christiano Ronaldo was injured - but I don't think that will prove to be too serious.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/06 at 4:31 pm

We've already crippled them for you. ;) Two players were sent off and will be suspended, and Christiano Ronaldo was injured - but I don't think that will prove to be too serious.
Just make sure that the team physio gives him a rough time.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/25/06 at 5:19 pm

Commiserations Henk  :(  I have not yet seen any vision, just read the reports.  Apparently Russian referee Valentin Ivanov has made Markus Merk and Graham Poll seem quite sane, under the circs. 

I see that he equalled the record for most yellows in a match (16)  :o Add that to 4 Reds and I wish I had got up to watch the game. 

On a different subject, I *did* get up to watch England.  I fear they are really gonna have to step up a gear or two soon.  I know they are still there, but the performances haven't bee terribly inspiring  :(  I say that with a genuine  :(, they are - because of heritage - far and away the second team I follow, and I would like to see them do well.

Australia vs Italy tomorrow  :P  For me, anything after the group stage was always gonna to be a bonus, but now that we're here...  ;)  It's good to be a genuine underdog, all the pressure is on the Azzurri  :D  Viduka to finally score  :o

Written By: Paul on 06/25/06 at 5:29 pm

On a different subject, I *did* get up to watch England.  I fear they are really gonna have to step up a gear or two soon.  I know they are still there, but the performances haven't bee terribly inspiring  :(  I say that with a genuine  :(, they are - because of heritage - far and away the second team I follow, and I would like to see them do well.

Many ta's for the encouraging words, Luke...but I'm afraid I have to echo your sentiments in the first part...

For the 'talent' that's there, it's bloody frustrating, that much I can say... :-\\

Australia vs Italy tomorrow  :P  For me, anything after the group stage was always gonna to be a bonus, but now that we're here...  ;)  It's good to be a genuine underdog, all the pressure is on the Azzurri  :D  Viduka to finally score  :o

Give the bastards hell...!!  :D

Written By: karen on 06/26/06 at 10:26 am

Current score

Australia 0  Italy 0

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/26/06 at 12:47 pm

Current score

Australia 0  Italy 0

And we all know how that one ended - even before the game had started...

Blasted Italians! >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 12:58 pm

Current score

Australia 0  Italy 0
Final score

Australia 0  Italy 1

Ten-man Italy beat Australia in the second round courtesy of an injury-time penalty from Francesco Totti.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/26/06 at 9:25 pm

What can I say ?

I will avoid saying what I would like to say and concentrate on the positive.  Australia played well in all 4 games and maybe didn't get the bounce of the ball...

But you have to make your own luck and we did ourselves no favours in that regard...

It was a great ride though  :) 

Unless you live in this country, I cannot describe to you the difference qualifying for the cup, and then getting past the group stage, has done for the game.  At last, it is taken seriously.  Everyone here is extremely prould of their country's efforts.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/06 at 1:35 am

It seemed that no team wanted to score in last nights Switzerland v Ukraine match.

Written By: mandamoo on 06/27/06 at 3:26 am

Unless you live in this country, I cannot describe to you the difference qualifying for the cup, and then getting past the group stage, has done for the game.  At last, it is taken seriously.  Everyone here is extremely prould of their country's efforts.  :)

The way the entire country has embraced the World Cup and the successes of the Socceroos has been extraordinary and overwhelming and just wonderful to witness. A fantastic effort from the team. :) :) :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/27/06 at 5:33 am

What can I say ?

I will avoid saying what I would like to say and concentrate on the positive.  Australia played well in all 4 games and maybe didn't get the bounce of the ball...

But you have to make your own luck and we did ourselves no favours in that regard...

It was a great ride though  :) 

I watched the last 10 minutes of the match and I really was heartbroken for you guys. I just couldn't believe Italy would win via a dive - what a way to go.

However, I will say this. Australia has definitely done it's country proud and you guys should definitely hold your heads high. Keeping Italy to a draw for 90 minutes is a very respectable way to go.  8)

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/27/06 at 12:56 pm

Can somebody please stop those Brazilians...? As far as I'm concerned, they didn't even deserve to make it through the group stage.. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/06 at 12:58 pm

The ball was in, it was a goal.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/06 at 12:59 pm

The ball was in, it was a goal.

Oops, that was fourty years ago!

Written By: La Roche on 06/27/06 at 1:00 pm

Can somebody please stop those Brazilians...? As far as I'm concerned, they didn't even deserve to make it through the group stage.. :P

They've had some astonishingly flattering scorelines.

2-0 Against an Australia team that outplayed them for the most part.

3-0 over a Ghana team that had them beat for 70 minutes of the game.

About the only result Brazil have had where they played to the high Brazilian standard is the Japan game, with that being said though, it's not like Italy, England or Germany have exactly been highlight reel material but they're in the next round as well.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/27/06 at 4:43 pm

They've had some astonishingly flattering scorelines.

2-0 Against an Australia team that outplayed them for the most part.

3-0 over a Ghana team that had them beat for 70 minutes of the game.

About the only result Brazil have had where they played to the high Brazilian standard is the Japan game, with that being said though, it's not like Italy, England or Germany have exactly been highlight reel material but they're in the next round as well.

Yeah the Brazilians are an exceptionally talented lot - they're playing a far better game than England are right now (imo)

btw did anyone see the Italy/Australia game, again that was a totally engrossing match and a pleasure to watch what with all the fancy footwork and  the great teamwork.

Written By: Paul on 06/27/06 at 6:10 pm

However, I will say this. Australia has definitely done it's country proud and you guys should definitely hold your heads high. Keeping Italy to a draw for 90 minutes is a very respectable way to go.  8)

Well said, Rob...Aus had a fantastic attempt, showing plenty of skill and fight all the way...

(I don't think they'll be brushed aside 'poor relations' of the game as from now...as some seemed to think so...)

'Fight' being what us lot are severely lacking in at the moment...let's hopefully see some improvement come Saturday...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/28/06 at 3:36 am

Well said, Rob...Aus had a fantastic attempt, showing plenty of skill and fight all the way...

(I don't think they'll be brushed aside 'poor relations' of the game as from now...as some seemed to think so...)

'Fight' being what us lot are severely lacking in at the moment...let's hopefully see some improvement come Saturday...

England are playing abysmal and boring games just now. Talk about just scraping through matches    ::) ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/06 at 1:43 pm

There is a day's rest today, so there is nothing for us to discuss.

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/28/06 at 3:25 pm

There is a day's rest today, so there is nothing for us to discuss.

There's always something to discuss!

Like... how's Christiano Ronaldo's leg doing? ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/06 at 3:31 pm

There's always something to discuss!

Like... how's Christiano Ronaldo's leg doing? ::)
Still limping?

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/28/06 at 4:07 pm

Still limping?

Excellent! ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/06 at 4:10 pm

Excellent! ;)
Are there any other limping legs in Germany?

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/28/06 at 4:11 pm

Not that I'm aware of. :-\\

Written By: karen on 06/29/06 at 3:56 am

It could be arranged

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/06 at 3:40 pm

It could be arranged
Before a match is played?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/29/06 at 5:29 pm

Before a match is played?

Scoreline predictions for Saturday guys??

Written By: Morton on 06/29/06 at 5:47 pm

Scoreline predictions for Saturday guys??

I have a really strong gut feeling it's gonna go to extra time and possibly even penalties... I imagine the scoreline to read:
Portugal 1 - 0 England
C. Ronaldo

at half time, and after 90s minutes...
Portugal 1 - 1 England
C. Ronaldo      Rooney

In extra time, it could go either way

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/06 at 1:04 am

I have a really strong gut feeling it's gonna go to extra time and possibly even penalties... I imagine the scoreline to read:
Portugal 1 - 0 England
C. Ronaldo

at half time, and after 90s minutes...
Portugal 1 - 1 England
C. Ronaldo      Rooney

In extra time, it could go either way

Portugal 0 - 0 England

With a penalty shoot-out.

Written By: Morton on 06/30/06 at 4:39 am

Portugal 0 - 0 England

Penalties? We'd have no chance  ;D

Written By: karen on 06/30/06 at 10:51 am

Germany 0 Argentina 0 at half time

Update

Germany 0 Argentina 1

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/06 at 11:35 am

75 mins: Germany win a free-kick a few yards outside the area after a foul - rather soft, it must by said - on David Odonkor. But Lukas Podolski's effort is blocked by the wall.

Still Germany 0 Argentina 1

Written By: Paul on 06/30/06 at 1:23 pm

Penalties? We'd have no chance  ;D

Tell that to the Argentinians!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/06 at 1:24 pm

What is all this about a punch-up at the match today?

Written By: Paul on 06/30/06 at 1:29 pm

What is all this about a punch-up at the match today?

I didn't catch it, but apparently both teams and their entourages had some sort of scuffle...

This sort of behaviour doesn't surprise me in the slightest if Argentina's involved...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/06 at 1:55 pm

I didn't catch it, but apparently both teams and their entourages had some sort of scuffle...

This sort of behaviour doesn't surprise me in the slightest if Argentina's involved...
I am waiting for the day when a fooball game breaks out in a boxing match?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/30/06 at 5:46 pm

Portugal 0 - 0 England

..and the score after pens?

I am waiting for the day when a fooball game breaks out in a boxing match?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/01/06 at 7:53 am

I was amazed after Australia knocked out Uruguay in the playoffs that the same thing didn't happen  :o

I think things may have been different had the second leg been in Montivideo and the same result had occurred  :-\\

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/01/06 at 7:56 am

QF time my English friends.  We wanna see the right result tonight.

England by 2-1, I think, but only after being behind and scaring everybody !  :o :P

Written By: Paul on 07/01/06 at 8:36 am

Yep! Hour and half to go...

I don't know about 'the right result', Luke...but I would like to see 'the right performance'!

If there was ever a time for a squad to start 'turning it on', now would be pretty timely!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/01/06 at 8:48 am

Yep! Hour and half to go...

I don't know about 'the right result', Luke...but I would like to see 'the right performance'!

If there was ever a time for a squad to start 'turning it on', now would be pretty timely!

Think of me as I am freezing half to death at 3 in the morning watching your lot (hopefully) stumble to victory  :D

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/01/06 at 11:36 am

QF time my English friends.  We wanna see the right result tonight.

England by 2-1, I think, but only after being behind and scaring everybody !  :o :P

Not very likely, with only 15 minutes left and England down to ten man (after Wayne Rooney was sent off)...

It's still goalless, however, so it could go either way. I've turned the telly off.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 11:37 am

Not very likely, with only 15 minutes left and England down to ten man (after Wayne Rooney was sent off)...

It's still goalless, however, so it could go either way. I've turned the telly off.
The pub across the road from me is very vocal.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/01/06 at 11:40 am

The pub across the road from me is very vocal.

Is it still vocal, or has it grown quiet? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 11:43 am

Is it still vocal, or has it grown quiet? ???
The liquid has taken over!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 11:51 am

As predicted 0 - 0 at full time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 12:21 pm

If you want a good omen England have never lost with Peter Crouch on the pitch.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/01/06 at 12:49 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...We had a deal! :\'(

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 12:49 pm

ENGLAND ARE OUT

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 12:50 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...We had a deal! :\'(
The pub across the road from me is very quiet now.

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 12:50 pm

F*CKING SH*T

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/01/06 at 12:50 pm

ENGLAND ARE OUT

:\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 12:51 pm

Who was it that was sent off?

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 12:51 pm

Who was it that was sent off?

Rooney

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 12:58 pm

Rooney
Wayne Rooney, how come?

Written By: Paul on 07/01/06 at 1:12 pm

If you want a good omen England have never lost with Peter Crouch on the pitch.

Sadly, that omen's now been destoyed!

Once it went to the shoot-out, I just knew it was game over!

But a spirited performance when down to 10 men...shame we couldn't nick it!

And, even better...at least we've seen the back of the Swedish liability!

Written By: Paul on 07/01/06 at 1:16 pm

Think of me as I am freezing half to death at 3 in the morning watching your lot (hopefully) stumble to victory  :D

Spot-kick their way to defeat, more like!

Sorry that it didn't quite go to plan, but many thanks for watching at that hour, Luke... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 1:41 pm

Sorry that it didn't quite go to plan, but many thanks for watching at that hour, Luke... :)
Well Luke can go straight back to bed, we still have the evening to live through yet.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/01/06 at 2:54 pm

Same here... I could tell by the looks on their faces that they just weren't confident.

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 2:55 pm

Same here... I could tell by the looks on their faces that they just weren't confident.

yeah,especially Gerrard,it was all written across his face.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 2:58 pm

yeah,especially Gerrard,it was all written across his face.
Had the team been practicing the taking of penalties?

Written By: Criz on 07/01/06 at 3:05 pm

Wayne Rooney, how come?

He kicked a Portugese player, y'know...where it hurts :S

As I predicted right from the start of the tournament...England would get to the quarter finals and then go out on penalities - why are they so damn predictable! ???

The team have apparently been practising penalties for weeks...well it doesn't show :( Mind you, probably Svens first choices weren't exactly on the pitch at that time i.e. Rooney and Owen and Beckham.

Oh...and I still think Lamprad is shockingly bad...I stand by that claim!!!

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 3:08 pm

He kicked a Portugese player, y'know...where it hurts :S

It's a disgrace what he did,letting the whole team down.Plus he did it right infront of the ref.

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 3:15 pm

France 1 Brazil 0!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 3:18 pm

France 1 Brazil 0!
That explains the shouting from the pub opposite me.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/01/06 at 3:59 pm

France 1 Brazil 0!

There is some justice in this world after all. :)

On the other hand...this probably clears the way for Germany to become World Champion. :-\\

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 4:00 pm

There is some justice in this world after all. :)

On the other hand...this probably clears the way for Germany to become World Champion. :-\\

France played really well...hopefully they'll kick Portugal out of the tournament.

Written By: Criz on 07/01/06 at 4:46 pm

It's a disgrace what he did,letting the whole team down.Plus he did it right infront of the ref.

Totally.

But the thing is, the ref didn't even see him do that, he basically was going to let him off and just let Portugal have a free kick. However, once he pushed Ronaldo he got sent off. So if that was the reason for his sending off that's terrible v refereeing (sp??) -  still , he did deserve it for his earlier crime.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/01/06 at 9:14 pm

It will be interesting to see if there is the same outpouring of irritation with Rooney as there was with Beckham when he got sent off against Argentina that time....

Yeah, once it got to penalties I was concerned.  And was noting the same thing, the apparent nervousness... :(

The most frustrating part for me was that they 'did an Australia'.  Had most of the game, made a lot of chances, but a combination of inept finishing and back luck did for them.  I know just how you feel  :( :( :(

Written By: Paul on 07/02/06 at 4:26 am

It will be interesting to see if there is the same outpouring of irritation with Rooney as there was with Beckham when he got sent off against Argentina that time....

To paraphrase Mr. Fawlty...I think he may have got away with it...

The reason being that when Beckham received his marching orders, he was playing for a certain Manchester club that was almost universally reviled...

Yes, so does the potato-faced hothead, but the certain Manchester club are not as all-conquering as they used to be! A 'sympathy' reaction, perhaps?

Whatever...I think a certain Mr. Ronaldo will be bearing the brunt (once he gets back to the certain Manchester club!)

Yeah, once it got to penalties I was concerned.  And was noting the same thing, the apparent nervousness... :(

Heh! And the overpaid Swedish liability even managed to twist the knife by bringing on Carragher who's taken something like four spot-kicks in his whole career! Marvellous!  ::)

(Well, at least his first effort went in!)

I still don't know how the Germans do it...it must be something in the water!

The most frustrating part for me was that they 'did an Australia'.  Had most of the game, made a lot of chances, but a combination of inept finishing and back luck did for them.  I know just how you feel  :( :( :(

Hey ho! What can you do?

(Well, taking a tried and tested striker would've been a start! Still, Walcott had a nice holiday!)

A Germany/France final, I feel...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/06 at 6:04 am

The latest news is that David Beckham has stepped down from the captainship of the England Squad.

Written By: chaka on 07/02/06 at 1:46 pm

The latest news is that David Beckham has stepped down from the captainship of the England Squad.

Good. I'm sick of him.Some people think the whole England team is all about Mr. Beckham.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/06 at 1:49 pm

Good. I'm sick of him.Some people think the whole England team is all about Mr. Beckham.
May be the change will do some good.

Written By: chaka on 07/02/06 at 1:50 pm

May be the change will do some good.

Yeah,let's hope so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/06 at 1:54 pm

Yeah,let's hope so.
...but who will be the new captain?

Written By: Criz on 07/02/06 at 6:47 pm

Beckham has just got old...he was a fantatsic player a few years back but his glory days are well and truely over. Lennon is better than Becks for sure!

...but who will be the new captain?

I predict John Terry?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/02/06 at 8:00 pm

I'm amazed that France played so much better than Brazil  :o

Written By: twistedwarp on 07/02/06 at 9:59 pm

Germany World cup champion 2006!! ;)

Written By: Bobby on 07/03/06 at 5:22 am

But a spirited performance when down to 10 men...shame we couldn't nick it!

And, even better...at least we've seen the back of the Swedish liability!

I wasn't at all surprised when it hit 0-0 at Extra time. I said we would go out at penalties.

I didn't feel sad when we lost either because I knew we were blagging it through the whole competition anyway. We didn't play like winners.

Written By: karen on 07/03/06 at 9:43 am

Time to change my avatar from this then

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/06 at 11:33 am

I predict John Terry?
My workmate said John Terry too.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/03/06 at 9:45 pm

I'm amazed that France played so much better than Brazil  :o

You and about 6 billion other people Rice  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/06 at 1:19 am

First Semi-Final tonight.

Germany v Italy

Who will win?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/04/06 at 10:02 am

You and about 6 billion other people Rice  ;D

For serious.  I was also sort of surprised, but not as much, that France beat Brazil in '98 when Zidane scored two goals with his bald spot.  That was also a good game.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/04/06 at 10:02 am

First Semi-Final tonight.

Germany v Italy

Who will win?

I vote for Germany :)

Written By: karen on 07/04/06 at 11:18 am

I vote for Germany :)

me too

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/06 at 11:48 am

I reckon on Germany too!

Written By: chaka on 07/04/06 at 2:44 pm

Yeah,unfortunately Germany  :P

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/04/06 at 2:46 pm

Well I don't know the current score but I hope the Italians win.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/06 at 3:06 pm

The match is not on here too.

Written By: philbo on 07/04/06 at 4:34 pm

Well I don't know the current score but I hope the Italians win.

2 goals in the last two minutes of extra time.  Best game so far, and the best ref so far, too (those two things may well go together)

For any England fans: We're Coming Home

(btw... that was Italy 2 Germany 0)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/04/06 at 4:42 pm

2 goals in the last two minutes of extra time.  Best game so far, and the best ref so far, too (those two things may well go together)

For any England fans: We're Coming Home

(btw... that was Italy 2 Germany 0)

Yahooo!!!  thanks for that.. also saw it on the MSN homepage as I logged in 

Written By: Paul on 07/04/06 at 5:15 pm

Stunning game of footy, that...

And proves how much I know about the game (I blame Eriksson for rotting my brain)...tipping Germany for the final and passing judgement about the Italians 'not being at their best'...

Hey! Perhaps the BBC will take me on as a future pundit!

Written By: La Roche on 07/04/06 at 5:17 pm

Stunning game of footy, that...

Second best of the tournament, just behind Brazil - France.

I'd love a France - Italy final, you know that would be pure beautiful football.

Written By: philbo on 07/04/06 at 5:26 pm

I'd put it the other way round, if only for the (most unexpected) bravery of the players: one Italian getting accidentally kneed in the head as he fell, and he was up on his feet ten seconds later (albeit holding/shaking his head a bit).

I'd love a France - Italy final, you know that would be pure beautiful football.

So few of the matches have given the football I'd expect, that an Italy-France final may well end up being a torrid dive-fest.  Having said that, Italy-Portugal (well, Anyone-Portugal) is probably more likely to go that way.

But no arguments about the Mexican ref from tonight's match for the final?  Couldn't disagree with a single decision tonight, and that's damn near unheard of.. (Klinsmann might not agree, but he seemed to be complaining about everything)

Written By: Tia on 07/04/06 at 6:17 pm

if they'd played some HuG at 11 at halftime they'd a won. it's that simple.

lemme be coach.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/05/06 at 5:55 am

I am not really a fan of football at all  but caught glimpses of the  ITALY - AUSTRALIA game and had to stay with it.  I was thoroughly entertained and totally engrossed in the match, not only were the players tactical and sportsmanlike, most of all there was no thuggery involved.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/06 at 2:06 pm

Why is Ronaldo being booed every time he has the ball?

Written By: Paul on 07/05/06 at 2:08 pm

Why is Ronaldo being booed every time he has the ball?

Perhaps he's trying to get it sent off...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/06 at 3:58 pm

France booked a World Cup final spot against Italy after Zinedine Zidane's first-half penalty earned victory over a disappointing Portugal in Munich.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/05/06 at 4:30 pm

France booked a World Cup final spot against Italy after Zinedine Zidane's first-half penalty earned victory over a disappointing Portugal in Munich.

Italy vs. France...

...boring.

Now don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

Written By: La Roche on 07/05/06 at 6:10 pm

Italy vs. France...

...boring.

Now don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

Doubt it, but I could be wrong.

By the way.. Zidane has carved his name in the history books.

I (and many others I'm sure) regard him as the best of this generation. His name stands up there with those of Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Baraesi and the rest.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/05/06 at 7:57 pm

Zidane has the magic bald spot!

Is this game being broadcast on ABC?  I don't have cable :(

Written By: Satish on 07/05/06 at 11:02 pm

Zidane has the magic bald spot!

Is this game being broadcast on ABC?  I don't have cable :(

The final on Sunday will be on ABC, yes.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/05/06 at 11:04 pm

The final on Sunday will be on ABC, yes.

Sweet.  What time is it on in the US of A?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/06 at 11:55 am

I did not catch the name, but the referee for the World Cup Final will be the same referee that sent off Wayne Rooney.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/07/06 at 7:49 am

I hope I am wrong, but I tend to agree with Henk.

I think it will be a boring final.  Apart from people from those two countries, it's getting hard to find anyone who is keen on either of them  :P

I hope if they play out a soreless bore-all draw, that Sepp Blatter announces that FIFA are keeping the trophy  ;)

PS  I also think, as per tradition, that the 3rd v 4th place game will be quite entertaining.  Hopefully something unfortunate will happen to C. Ronaldo ...

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/08/06 at 4:07 pm

PS  I also think, as per tradition, that the 3rd v 4th place game will be quite entertaining.  Hopefully something unfortunate will happen to C. Ronaldo ...

??? The 3rd/4th place match usually ends up to be quite boring. It's a game nobody wants to play...

Anyway - Germany beat Portugal 3 to 1.  Portugal had the better play, but they never got any real chances (except when it was already too late). Germany on the other hand had Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/06 at 4:11 pm

??? The 3rd/4th place match usually ends up to be quite boring. It's a game nobody wants to play...

Anyway - Germany beat Portugal 3 to 1.  Portugal had the better play, but they never got any real chances (except when it was already too late). Germany on the other hand had Bastian Schweinsteiger.
...and the help of an own goal.

Written By: Satish on 07/08/06 at 9:48 pm

Sweet.  What time is it on in the US of A?

The World Cup final will be on Sunday at 2 PM Eastern, 11 AM Pacific on ABC, with a  pre-game show that'll start half an hour to an hour before the game.

Written By: Satish on 07/08/06 at 9:56 pm

Has anyone else seen the "Fan of the Match" section on the official FIFA World Cup site? I think it's the funnest thing! They give prizes to the people wearing the most colourful and outrageous costumes to the games:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/hfc/fom.html

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/09/06 at 1:20 am

...and the help of an own goal.

...but it was a Schweinsteiger free kick! ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 1:22 am

...but it was a Schweinsteiger free kick! ;)
I still have not seen the goals yet, I wainting for news reports.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/10/06 at 5:59 am

??? back atcha !  ;D  ;D  Germany v Portugal was quite entertaining.  I have seen all the 3 v 4 matches since 1978 and I stand by my statement, usually more entertaining than the final, because the pressure (of the final) is not there, they can relax a bit.

2002  Turkey 3 South Korea 2

1998  Crotia 2 Netherlands 1

1994  Sweden 4 Bulgaria 0

1990  Italy 2 England 1

1986  France 4 Belgium 2

1982  Poland 3 France 2

1978  Brazil 2 Italy 1  The first Brazilian goal by Nelinho remains one of the best goals I have seen anywhere, anytime

Gee.  I know which I'd rather watch  :)

"It's a game nobody wants to play..."  Why ?  Based on ?

Compare it, for example, to the boredom of the 1990 final.  I still haven't recovered.  The only exciting thing was the two Argentinians getting sent off and Maradona crying.  And that stupid ref that thought it was all about him.  ::)

I just think there is too much at stake in the final to let teams really loosen up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/06 at 7:06 am

France captain Zinedine Zidane wins the World Cup's Golden Ball award, despite being dismissed in the final.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/10/06 at 1:44 pm

??? back atcha !  ;D  ;D  Germany v Portugal was quite entertaining.  I have seen all the 3 v 4 matches since 1978 and I stand by my statement, usually more entertaining than the final, because the pressure (of the final) is not there, they can relax a bit.

2002  Turkey 3 South Korea 2

The 2002 bronze medal game was the most entertaining match of all, because both teams weren't expected to reach the semis.
I still think South Korea deserved to win, though.

1998  Crotia 2 Netherlands 1

Let's forget about that, please. We should've beaten Brazil.

1994  Sweden 4 Bulgaria 0

1990  Italy 2 England 1

1986  France 4 Belgium 2

1982  Poland 3 France 2

1978  Brazil 2 Italy 1  The first Brazilian goal by Nelinho remains one of the best goals I have seen anywhere, anytime

Gee.  I know which I'd rather watch  :)

Quite frankly - these are all games that have long been forgotten, unless you're living in one of the countries involved.

"It's a game nobody wants to play..."   Why ?  Based on ?

Two teams that were this close to playing the final. Usually it's two teams that had high expectations. What's left to play for? Who remembers if you end up third or fourth?
Furthermore, I don't think any team enters the World Cup hoping to play for third or fourth place.

Compare it, for example, to the boredom of the 1990 final.  I still haven't recovered.  The only exciting thing was the two Argentinians getting sent off and Maradona crying.  And that stupid ref that thought it was all about him.  ::)

I just think there is too much at stake in the final to let teams really loosen up.

I agree though, that a lot of finals were equally boring.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/06 at 1:53 pm

Are we all glad that the World Cup is over for another four years?

Written By: La Roche on 07/10/06 at 4:46 pm

Matterazi said that he hoped Zidane's entire family died awful deaths.. this on the day that Zidane learnt his mother was terminally ill. He also told him to fuc.k himself.

So I stand by my first statement, if Matterazi had said that to me, I'd have killed him.

Written By: Rice in limbo on 07/10/06 at 4:48 pm

Matterazi said that he hoped Zidane's entire family died awful deaths.. this on the day that Zidane learnt his mother was terminally ill. He also told him to fuc.k himself.

So I stand by my first statement, if Matterazi had said that to me, I'd have killed him.

F'realz?  Link me!

Written By: La Roche on 07/10/06 at 5:26 pm

F'realz?  Link me!

On the BBC News at 10.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/10/06 at 8:29 pm

Bah!  I don't get BBC :P

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/11/06 at 2:43 am

Let's forget about that, please. We should've beaten Brazil.

This is true.  Holland are getting nastily close to the underacheivers tag that Spain so proudly hold.  What's the go Henk ?  The Netherlands are better that this.  What is holding them back do you think ?

Two teams that were this close to playing the final. Usually it's two teams that had high expectations. What's left to play for? Who remembers if you end up third or fourth?

Furthermore, I don't think any team enters the World Cup hoping to play for third or fourth place.

Well, it depends on your outlook, I guess.  Look at my country.  Of course, I would have been shattered had they got to the semi, then lost.  But I still would have wanted them to have one more crack at 3rd at least.  Maybe it's the difference at being elated at just being there, and being one of the countries that are perenially (or almost) there... ?

I agree though, that a lot of finals were equally boring.

You got THAT right  ;D

Written By: Paul on 07/11/06 at 6:46 am

Holland are getting nastily close to the underacheivers tag that Spain so proudly hold.

Noooo...we've got our eyes on that!

Written By: karen on 07/11/06 at 6:50 am

France captain Zinedine Zidane wins the World Cup's Golden Ball award, despite being dismissed in the final.

Has anyone else seen this yet?

http://ftagn.free.fr/zidane.swf

You have to move your mouse onto zidane and then click

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/06 at 1:07 pm

Has anyone else seen this yet?

http://ftagn.free.fr/zidane.swf

You have to move your mouse onto zidane and then click
Brilliant!

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/11/06 at 1:49 pm

This is true.  Holland are getting nastily close to the underacheivers tag that Spain so proudly hold.  What's the go Henk ?  The Netherlands are better that this.  What is holding them back do you think ?

I'm not sure. Heck, if I knew we'd be World Champion by now! ;D

It could be a lot of things. Wrong coaching, bad luck, players that are underachieving, loss/lack of concentration, injuries, but most likely a combination of these.
We've had great players in the past, but we've often lacked a team. You can't win when your strikers play their own game (esp. Patrick Kluivert). Now we have somewhat of a team, but we lack great players. We need more international experience, although this might cause the same problems we've faced in the past: players will not be available due to the fact that they're playing in foreign leagues. I think that's our main problem.

Well, it depends on your outlook, I guess.  Look at my country.  Of course, I would have been shattered had they got to the semi, then lost.  But I still would have wanted them to have one more crack at 3rd at least.  Maybe it's the difference at being elated at just being there, and being one of the countries that are perenially (or almost) there... ?

I stick to my point: no team enters the World Cup thinking: wouldn't it be great to play for third place?
The "underdogs" all hope to survive the first round, and take whatever comes next as an extra.
The favourites only want one thing: become World Champion.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/11/06 at 3:27 pm

I'm not sure. Heck, if I knew we'd be World Champion by now! ;D

It could be a lot of things. Wrong coaching, bad luck, players that are underachieving, loss/lack of concentration, injuries, but most likely a combination of these.
We've had great players in the past, but we've often lacked a team. You can't win when your strikers play their own game (esp. Patrick Kluivert). Now we have somewhat of a team, but we lack great players. We need more international experience, although this might cause the same problems we've faced in the past: players will not be available due to the fact that they're playing in foreign leagues. I think that's our main problem.

I stick to my point: no team enters the World Cup thinking: wouldn't it be great to play for third place?
The "underdogs" all hope to survive the first round, and take whatever comes next as an extra.
The favourites only want one thing: become World Champion.

Ha ha !  Don't talk to an Australian about players not being able to play as they are in a foreign league !  Try being on the other side of the globe and having that problem  ;D

We have resorted to playing most of our 'home' friendlies in London  :(

I suppose my point to your end point is that we are not all favourites, and the World Cup is there for all teams who qualify.  Offer 3rd place up front to most of the countries entering, and I think they would take it.  Notwithstanding your point, they would still like to win  :)

Written By: Tia on 07/12/06 at 8:48 pm

so zidane headbutted that guy cuz he broke bad with zidane's mom and sister.

i can understand that.

Written By: karen on 07/14/06 at 6:32 am

Refer attached  ;)

I was looking around the bric-a-brac market the other week.  One guy had a copy of this for sale.  "50p to you, love"

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/14/06 at 4:23 pm

I was looking around the bric-a-brac market the other week.  One guy had a copy of this for sale.  "50p to you, love"

Did ya buy it ?  :D

Written By: Tia on 07/14/06 at 10:40 pm

Refer attached  ;)
there's no refer attached to this post! believe me, i looked.

Written By: karen on 07/17/06 at 6:50 am

Did ya buy it ?  :D

I thought about it!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/06 at 7:51 am

there's no refer attached to this post! believe me, i looked.

The image attached to reply # 151 on page 11 ?

I can still see it...  ???  I confused  :)

Karen can see it, judging by her comments...  :)

Written By: karen on 07/21/06 at 8:11 am

The image attached to reply # 151 on page 11 ?

I can still see it...   ???  I confused  :)

Karen can see it, judging by her comments...  :)

But it wasn't attached to the quote I posted.

Written By: Tia on 07/21/06 at 9:07 am

sorry, i thought you said "reefer." :-[

Written By: karen on 07/21/06 at 9:57 am

Sure, that makes sense!  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/22/06 at 9:04 am

:o ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/06 at 2:10 am

After the incicent towards the end of the 2006 World Cup Final, Zinedine Zidane has been banned for three games and fined

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/23/06 at 2:48 pm

After the incicent towards the end of the 2006 World Cup Final, Zinedine Zidane has been banned for three games and fined

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/06 at 2:50 pm

As if Zidane cares - it was his last game.

Materazzi was banned for two games, I believe. :-\\
Come to think of it, has Zidane only retired from International Football or from the whole game itself?

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/23/06 at 2:52 pm

Come to think of it, has Zidane only retired from International Football or from the whole game itself?

I don't know, really... :-\\

Written By: karen on 07/24/06 at 3:59 am

According to this BBC report Zidane has retired from football completely.  He will be working with children and young adults as part of a FIFA intiative for three days instead.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 6:41 am

According to this BBC report Zidane has retired from football completely.  He will be working with children and young adults as part of a FIFA intiative for three days instead.
Community Service in other words.

Written By: karen on 07/24/06 at 6:54 am

Community Service in other words.

that's it

Check for new replies or respond here...