inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember or even admit to watching the XFL?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 9:18 pm

>:(  I can't believe Vince McMahon would try to mess with football..but that's what he did with his XFL..  :D

Yeah, I watched it the first few weeks...and then decided it sucked!

Anyone else remember the XFL?

Has any XFL player besides Tommy Maddox and Rod Smith(?) made it to the NFL?

Subject: Re: Anyone remember or even admit to watching the XFL?

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 9:20 pm

Yea I watched it, I remember Jesse Ventura was one of the commentators, it was destined to fail, lol.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 10:08 pm

How about those dumb player nicknames, like 'He Hate Me'...there was even a player nicknamed 'Chuckwagon'...

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/23/06 at 9:33 am

I remember watching the first game. I was highly anticipating it, since I was assuming that it would be a brutal combination of pro football and pro wrestling, and I thought that it had some real potential. I was driving for US Xpress at the time, and I watched the first game with about 8 or 9 other truckers in the TV lounge at their terminal in Oklahoma City. And, being a former truck driver, I'll be the first to admit that a lot of these people who drive these big rigs down America's highways aren't exactly brain surgeons, if you catch my drift. There were a few WWF fans there, and they were absolutely stoked on the whole concept of the XFL.
  After the initial pre-game hype had ended, and the game was well underway, I began to realize how big of a huge, steaming turd Vince McMahon had just dumped on the American public. I'd seen high school football games that were more exciting and well-executed than the crap I was seeing.  Finally, about halfway through the second quarter, I said out loud and to no one in particular, "You know, this really isn't very good."  The room got really quiet all of a sudden, though when I looked around some of the other drivers nodded in agreement.  Later on in the game, there happened to be a good, solid, bonecrunching collision between a receiver and a defensive back, and some ignorant, backwoods hillbilly moron blurted out in his stupid Southern drawl, "Boy, you sure don't see THAT in the NFL!" No one replied to him, but I couldn't help but think to myself (along with many others in the room, I'm sure) "Are you f**king stupid or something?!?"
  Amazingly enough, I watched a few more games, thinking that the quality of the football games might improve. They did not, but when they were doing the pregame show before the first XFL game that was played in L.A., I was able to witness The Rock stand on the 50-yard line of the L.A. Coliseum and utter one of the most untrue and ridiculous statements I've ever heard. He shouted to the crowd something like, "The NFL turned its back on Los Angeles...but now the XFL is bringing it back!" Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the people of Los Angeles that turned their back on the NFL by, uh...not going to any Rams games?
    I think that perhaps the biggest mistake that the XFL made was trying to compare itself to the NFL.  Apparently Vince McMahon, in doing that, had grossly underestimated the intelligence of the American people.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 9:41 am

I did....  I'm still mad at NBC for cancelling The Pretender, so they can air the XFL instead....  >:(

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/23/06 at 9:51 am

I did....  I'm still mad at NBC for cancelling The Pretender, so they can air the XFL instead....  >:(
Yeah, but you can also take great satisfaction in knowing that NBC lost a sh*t-ton of money on the XFL. I think they lost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million, and in hindsight anyone at the network with half a brain should have known that the whole concept of the XFL would never succeed. It was nothing but bush-league football with a bunch of smoke and mirrors, and NBC got exactly what they deserved.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 12:16 pm

I love irony!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 1:41 pm

You didn't miss anything!  ;D

Written By: Carl on 01/23/06 at 1:45 pm

You didn't miss anything!

I'll say, watched the first one the that was it!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 1:46 pm

;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/06 at 1:51 pm

I never watched XFL becuase there was always something better drying on my wall that I could watch  ;D

Written By: Carl on 01/23/06 at 1:53 pm

;D I LOVE IT!!!

Written By: STAR70 on 01/23/06 at 6:08 pm

me!!! I watched the XFL like a MF!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...