inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Superbowl half-time show should have had Motown also

Written By: Carl on 02/06/06 at 1:35 pm

It was good seeing the Stones perform, but a co-worker today brought up an excellent point.

Here the game was in Detroit, the birth of Motown, so why not in addition to the Rolling Stones, didn't they have someone like Smokey Robinson, The Temptations or Aretha Franklin perform? I think they kind of missed the boat there, but still a good show.

Subject: Re: Superbowl half-time show should have had Motown also

Written By: Carl on 02/06/06 at 2:00 pm

You know, I missed the beginning actually  :-\\, when you say 'them' who sang the national anthem?

Written By: danootaandme on 02/06/06 at 3:23 pm

They were actually added in at the last minute because a lot of people in Detroit were real put out that Motown had
been completely excluded from all the ceremonies so the producers had to come in with some quick PR damage control.  If I was those
guys I would have told them to stuff it.  B-listing Motown in Detroit! What an insult.

Written By: Carl on 02/06/06 at 3:36 pm

B-listing Motown in Detroit! What an insult.

Yes, I agree, no reason why they BOTH couldn't perform. It would have been cool to see Mick do a song with someone like Smokey or Aretha. The Stones did do a version once of "Ain't too proud to beg'

Written By: danootaandme on 02/06/06 at 3:39 pm

Yes, I agree, no reason why they BOTH couldn't perform. It would have been cool to see Mick do a song with someone like Smokey or Aretha. The Stones did do a version once of "Ain't too proud to beg'

He could have done something with Aretha.  She sang for Dwayne Allman(The Weight), and I do believe for a moment the Stones
would have been humbled.

Written By: Paul on 02/07/06 at 7:26 am

They were actually added in at the last minute because a lot of people in Detroit were real put out that Motown had
been completely excluded from all the ceremonies so the producers had to come in with some quick PR damage control.  If I was those
guys I would have told them to stuff it.  B-listing Motown in Detroit! What an insult.

Didn't Motown 'stuff' Detroit in the 60s by moving to the west coast?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/07/06 at 10:29 am

They had Stevie and Aretha, doing hits like Just enough for the city, My cherie amor, a couple of other, Aretha belted out the natl anthem with style and emotion. They started the program and did well, just had too many other new artists with them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/06 at 11:04 am

Boy, they've been talking about the commercials and the half-time show all week and it's only Tuesday!  What's that other thing that goes on at the Superbowl. You know, that other little thing they do?
???
Oh yeeeah!  They play football.  Forgot about that!
::)

I think it's time for the Rolling Stones lips-and-tongue logo to include a pair of dentures.  How about it?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/07/06 at 11:17 am

Boy, they've been talking about the commercials and the half-time show all week and it's only Tuesday!  What's that other thing that goes on at the Superbowl. You know, that other little thing they do?
???
Oh yeeeah!  They play football.  Forgot about that!
::)

I think it's time for the Rolling Stones lips-and-tongue log to include a pair of dentures.  How about it?
and some bondo to fill in some of those wrinkles too

Check for new replies or respond here...