inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Women's Olympic Figure Skating

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 10:34 pm

Predictions and opinions? I'm rooting for Sasha '06...first Jew to ever win a figure skating Gold medal (hopefully!) L'chaim!

Subject: Re: Women's Olympic Figure Skating

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 10:36 pm

I hope Sasha kicks Irina Slutskaya's ass from there to Rome and back.  I don't want a Russian sweep; we have some very talented skaters, and I'd like to see them win Gold. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 10:40 pm

I think Sasha's gonna get the gold.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 10:40 pm

Yeah, I think she has it in her, definitely. The Russians don't need to be sweeping this. I think Sasha should've gotten more coverage leading up to the games, but probably all the attention would've been bad for her performance. My great-great-uncle was the first Jew to win an Olympic Gold Medal, Mayer Prinstein. So it doesn't make much sense with me, I'm about the least athletic person I know  ;D.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/22/06 at 12:08 pm

As much as I hate going against Sasha, I'm going to have to pick the Russian to win here, too. Sasha is known to blow too many big competitions for gold. And Slutskaya won't be so easy to knock off the gold medal stand. I would like to see Sasha or any of the Americans or the Japanese women win for a change.

Written By: Marian on 02/22/06 at 2:07 pm

I hope Sasha kicks Irina Slutskaya's ass from there to Rome and back.  I don't want a Russian sweep; we have some very talented skaters, and I'd like to see them win Gold. 
actually a Russian sweep is impossible because their third skater,whose name escapes me,had to withdraw because of a nasty infection,and they couldn't replace her.I'm rooting for Sasha to win.I think at least one japanese will be on the podium,probably Fumie Suguri.Irina Slutskaya has a good chance of medaling too,though I didn't like her outfit in the short program.More Suitable for sarah Hughes or Kimmie Meisner--curvy women don't need Hamilton suits.I think longer shots for a medal go to Kimmie Meisner,Emily Hughes,and Elene Gedenkanishvilli of Georgia.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/06 at 2:09 pm

actually a Russian sweep is impossible because their third skater,whose name escapes me,had to withdraw because of a nasty infection,and they couldn't replace her.I'm rooting for Sasha to win.I think at least one japanese will be on the podium,probably Fumie Suguri.Irina Slutskaya has a good chance of medaling too,though I didn't like her outfit in the short program.More Suitable for sarah Hughes or Kimmie Meisner--curvy women don't need Hamilton suits.I think longer shots for a medal go to Kimmie Meisner,Emily Hughes,and Elene Gedenkanishvilli of Georgia.

I wasn't talking about Russians taking all 3 medals.  I was talking about Russians taking the gold medal in all the skating events.

Written By: Marian on 02/22/06 at 2:28 pm

I wasn't talking about Russians taking all 3 medals.  I was talking about Russians taking the gold medal in all the skating events.
Oh I get it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/22/06 at 5:08 pm

Yeah, Sasha really deserves it...she may be known for blowing big competitions but so far she's been dazzling.

Written By: nally on 02/22/06 at 5:10 pm

I think Sasha's gonna get the gold.

I sure hope so. 8)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/22/06 at 6:46 pm

She is a very long shot, but she did have a clean short program.
Elene Gedenkanishvilli of Georgia.

Written By: Marian on 02/23/06 at 7:51 pm

She is a very long shot, but she did have a clean short program.
She did,and she was a good spinner.Actually it's Gedevanishvilli,and she's the youngest skater there.I don't know if there are any other Georgians at the Olympics.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/24/06 at 11:02 am

Cohen did fall as I suspected, but I didn't count on Slutskaya falling, too. She was really P.O.ed after the Olympics. At least Sasha could have the excuse of a groin injury. But that isn't taking away from Japan's victory. Congrats to Shizuki Awakawa on her gold medal. :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 11:08 am

I'm glad for Arakawa because it's like a national shame to Japan that they haven't won any Winter Olympics Medals, and their first figure skating gold ever makes up for it to an extent. Sasha still has 2010 at Vancouver, and she seemed happy with her silver, but she's almost self-defeating.

Written By: Marian on 02/24/06 at 2:54 pm

I'm glad for Arakawa because it's like a national shame to Japan that they haven't won any Winter Olympics Medals, and their first figure skating gold ever makes up for it to an extent. Sasha still has 2010 at Vancouver, and she seemed happy with her silver, but she's almost self-defeating.
I think Japan xdeserved it too.All this talk about the Americans not doing well,but they're actualyy winning medals.Japan has been traditionally strong in the ski jumping events--it's unusau; for them not to medal.

Written By: nally on 02/24/06 at 3:34 pm

Well...a silver medal is certainly an accomplishment. I was, of course, cheering for Sasha (but I didn't see the competition on TV)...but I am happy for Arakawa. It's nice to see a plethora of different countries represented in a particular event.

Check for new replies or respond here...