inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NCAA Final Four

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/30/06 at 7:21 pm

This poll sort of makes up for me not posting a tourney thread before it began.

Subject: Re: NCAA Final Four

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 7:39 pm

I really want to go with George Mason but Florida's just got too much for them. The UCLA-LSU game will be a classic with LSU winning by 2 on the last play. LSU will beat Florida in the title game by about 5 or 6 points.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/30/06 at 7:52 pm

Yeah, I was wondering if there was one of these that I missed or if maybe there just wasn't an interest. This has been one heck of a good tourney. I'm an SEC fan, so I'm probably biased, but I voted Florida. UCLA and LSU are both awesome teams, and I guess at this point you really can't say anything bad about George Mason, but I think the Gators at their best can outplay all three.

Written By: Daveyd989 on 03/30/06 at 7:58 pm

god i hated the road to the final four who would of thought almost all these teams would have got it my final 4 was Duke, Kansas, Ohio and Uconn and that didn't work out so i'll go with UCLA vs. Florida
Florida winning

Written By: Kenlos on 04/02/06 at 3:49 pm

Yeah I only got one of the Final Four teams, that being Florida.  As for the National Championship I think Florida will defeat UCLA and here is why.  First of all if you look at the UCLA-LSU game pretty much everything went UCLA's way.  LSU played a poor game all around especially on offense.  They couldn't make any shots (as I believe they missed every 3 they attempted, missed a large amount of their free throws, and miss many lay-ups).  They basically handed the game to UCLA.  Yet even though UCLA had pretty much everything going their way they still only scored 59 points in the entire game, only 18 in the second half.  They can't do that against Florida and expect to win.  Florida is one of the top shooting teams in the country and are more talented than LSU.  UCLA only has one big man underneth and thats Hollins, where Florida has two Horford and Noah which I believe gives them the advantage inside.  If Florida can keep their turnover numbers low then I think Florida will be cutting down the nets on Monday night.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/02/06 at 5:28 pm

My Tigers lost and that sucks >:(

But I've got to go with UCLA in the game. I know Florida will probably be the favorites but UCLA played really good agianst LSU so I'm gonna go with them in a really close game.

Written By: Kenlos on 04/02/06 at 6:44 pm

My Tigers lost and that sucks >:(

But I've got to go with UCLA in the game. I know Florida will probably be the favorites but UCLA played really good agianst LSU so I'm gonna go with them in a really close game.

As I said in my above post its not really that UCLA played that well, I mean they only scored 18 points in the second half.  Its that LSU played so poorly.  The missed just about everything they put up.  If you figure that if atleast a couple of those attempted 3's had fallen and if they had made most of their free throws and if they had made most of those missed lay-ups then LSU would find themselves in the title game playing Florida not UCLA.  So in my mind LSU lost the game UCLA didn't win it.  Which is part of the reason I think Florida has the edge.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/02/06 at 6:49 pm

As I said in my above post its not really that UCLA played that well, I mean they only scored 18 points in the second half.  Its that LSU played so poorly.  The missed just about everything they put up.  If you figure that if atleast a couple of those attempted 3's had fallen and if they had made most of their free throws and if they had made most of those missed lay-ups then LSU would find themselves in the title game playing Florida not UCLA.  So in my mind LSU lost the game UCLA didn't win it.  Which is part of the reason I think Florida has the edge.

I'd like to see Florida win, but I don't think it's as sure as all that. Consider what happens to Zags when they played UCLA. The moral of the story is, you have to play two entire halves of good basketball. What UCLA has going for them is they can stay decent throughout the game. Zags would have won, except they stopped hitting shots near the end, and those 4-ish minutes were enough to remove them from the game and let UCLA edge them out. I think if Florida can play at the top of their game from start to finish, they'll have this, but that's never guaranteed in any ball game.

Written By: Kenlos on 04/02/06 at 8:33 pm

I'd like to see Florida win, but I don't think it's as sure as all that. Consider what happens to Zags when they played UCLA. The moral of the story is, you have to play two entire halves of good basketball. What UCLA has going for them is they can stay decent throughout the game. Zags would have won, except they stopped hitting shots near the end, and those 4-ish minutes were enough to remove them from the game and let UCLA edge them out. I think if Florida can play at the top of their game from start to finish, they'll have this, but that's never guaranteed in any ball game.

Thats true for any game really, even the LSU-UCLA game is an example.  UCLA only played half a game if you come down to it scoring 41 in the first half and only 18 in the second half, luckily for them LSU was off the whole game.  As for Gonzaga they didn't have near the weapons Florida has.  If you took Adam Morrison away from Gonzaga then they lose a huge chunk of their offensive production.  Florida on the other hand has dangerous weapons at every position.  I am not saying UCLA can't win this game because they definitely could.  I just don't think they will, I think Florida will be to much for them.  We shall see tomorrow night.

Written By: zcrito on 04/02/06 at 10:12 pm

I keep hoping the days of UCLA basketball domination were over. They destroyed many Final Four and Championship dreams with their basketball machines over the years.

And they are always overlooked as a threat by people probably because they're out on the West coast and don't get much television time elsewhere.

Buuuttt... I hope they win this time. Florida always has their football season to take away any pain.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 8:35 am

Florida will win, but big props to George Mason for making the Final Four. Everybody round here was excited for them, shame they couldn't make it all the way, still, they sure as hell got to the dance.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 11:04 am

Florida will win, but big props to George Mason for making the Final Four. Everybody round here was excited for them, shame they couldn't make it all the way, still, they sure as hell got to the dance.

Yeah, I really wanted to see George Mason go all the way, even though I didnt think they would they still gave Florida there best shot even though they could have played better IMO.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/06 at 4:19 pm

Yeah, I really wanted to see George Mason go all the way, even though I didnt think they would they still gave Florida there best shot even though they could have played better IMO.

Considering they came from nothing, I'm pretty impressed with them.

I'd have liked to see 'em do it, you are right there, I don't think they played as well as they were capable of.. kinda rolled over and died.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 4:39 pm

Considering they came from nothing, I'm pretty impressed with them.

I'd have liked to see 'em do it, you are right there, I don't think they played as well as they were capable of.. kinda rolled over and died.

Exactly. If they were capable of beating Michigan St., North Carolina, and Conneticut then they could have beaten Florida for sure. Even Witchita St. wasn't a gimme by any means.

Written By: Kenlos on 04/03/06 at 11:43 pm

Congrats to the Florida Gators the 2006 NCAA Basketball National Champions.  Defeating UCLA 73-57.  Their first National Title in basketball.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/04/06 at 2:13 am

Congrats to the Florida Gators the 2006 NCAA Basketball National Champions.  Defeating UCLA 73-57.  Their first National Title in basketball.

It was great to see them keep up their high level of play from start to finish. Congrats, Gators!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 10:16 am

Don't know...I just wanted my name to be beside the 'Last Post' on every thread in the 2000s board

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 1:03 pm

Yeah, I got this one way wrong. My UCLA pick couln't have been more wrong. Congrats to the Gators, they played a great game and deserve to be champs.

Check for new replies or respond here...