inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Sports did you guys do?

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/07/06 at 6:03 pm

I was never a star, hell I wasn't even mediocre but I had fun at what I did.

As a little kid I played pee wee football, basketball, wrestling and baseball.  The first sport I started was baseball because it was just something every parent in town had there kid do.  It wasn't really something I chose to do it was something I thought back at that age was required of me.  Never the less I really enjoyed it. I remember my coach throwing so many pitches to me and me not hitting a damned one of them.  He was a good guy though, hated to take out the tee cause he really believed that after a while I'd hit it. 
  Football was something I didn't really wanna do but did it anyway a couple of years later  cause of the hype this country gives it.  I can't even really remember where or how much I played.  I don't think I new a single play or anything, all I knew was to find a guy that wasn't wearing my colors and hit him as hard as I could. 
  Basketball was something I just played cause I liked being around the other kids that played basketball. Hell we all sucked and you wouldn't have thought we knew the objective was to get the ball in the hoop, cause we never did anyway.
  Oklahoma State was on TV wrestling one day and I caught it on the local station.  I thought it was the coolest thing and ask my dad if I could try it.  I remember my first wrestling meet, got pinned in less than a minute 3 times with a black eye, a bloody nose and a red mark around my neck.  My mom looked at me and said, "You don't ever wanna do that again do you?"  I looked right back at her and said, "yes I do".  She couldn't believe it and to this day probably has no idea why, truth was I thought I was tough sheesh for taking all that abuse.

In Junior high I played football, basketball, wrestling, track and baseball.  Junior high football was actually fun for me.  I was nose guard, punter and kicker.  Nailed almost ever extra point attempt and 2/3 field goal attempts we had that year.  I remember missing the first field goal attempt and the coach saying that we'll just punt or go for it from now on.  I told him that I wouldn't miss again and he just sorta blew me off.  I started playing worse and then before the last game he asked me if I had a problem with him and I said no problem I just didn't think it was fair that he only gave me one chance.  He got pissed and said he knew the game of football a lot better than I did and told me to stick to punting, nose guard and kicking off.  Never the less the last game I ever played we won by 2 points cause of one of the two field goals I made.
  Looking back on my last two years of basketball I can't believe how I was upset that I played on the 7th grade team as an 8th grader.  I really really sucked.  But never the less I had fun.
    Wrestling was just my sport, was I good at it? No, I was worse at it than any of the other sports I did but I just liked how tough it made me feel.  I felt like I could take any kid in the school because I was a wrestler.  Most times I found out I was right too.  My junior high record was only like 10 wins and about 30 losses but man it gave me a lot of hope and pride for some odd reason.
    I ran track mainly becuase I liked to run, never took it seriously.  Just wanted to run and so I did.
Baseball was either my favorite or second favorite sport.  I spent most of the time sitting on the bench cause my unathletic ability.

In High School I ran cross country, wrestling, track, baseball and boxing. 
I took up cross country over football because I liked to just run for fun a lot better than I did football and I was sick of how idolized football was and how everyone thought it was a God among men in comparrison to other sports.  I wasn't worth a damn at cross country.  If I were to tell you my name you'd probably find me in a guiness book of world records for slowest time ever.
  I don't think there's anything in the world that a kid in high school can do that will work him harder than wrestling practices.  Damn we had hard wrestling practices.  Why in the hell I'd get up in the morning and go in and drill and run and lift weights all the damn time, I have no idea.  Why I loved the sport so much and wore my letter jacket everywhere I went with such pride I don't have the slightest Idea.  My career record was 30-52, the best I ever did during post season was 4th at regionals as a junior and 3rd at Regionals as a senior.  Never the less I loved that damn sport.
  It was weird in high school baseball actually having a position, that position as a freshman and sophomore and most of my junior season was on the bench.  The position as a senior cause the coach liked me, my hard work ethic and love for the sport, was centerfield.  I wasn't probably near as bad as I thought I was but I still didn't come close to all conference or anything like that.
  I took up boxing in the summer cause I have something inside of me that just demands to be tough.  I was a white kid that trained with 3 black kids and 1 Mexican.  I'll save all the "I got beat so bad" stories, but it did make me tougher.  No other kid's would mess with me, not when they knew that I was friends with the "boxers". 

In JUCO College I did wrestling.  I was the sorriest excuse for a wrestler that Junior college has ever seen but I did win love of the sport award both years I was there.  The coach told me that I was one of the hardest working, most dedicated wrestlers he thinks he's ever had in 30 years of coaching, just didn't have a spec of talent or ability to go along with the passion.

Nowadays a whole whoppin 10 years later I like to lift weights and pick up on occasional men's softball tournaments.  I really wish they had wrestling around for guys my age but not where I live. 

Subject: Re: What Sports did you guys do?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/07/06 at 6:09 pm

Ah, excellent topic :)

While I never did varsity nor professional (yeah, I wish...one year's salary would have me set for life) sports, I enjoyed playing:

--basketball
--baseball
--softball
--soccer
--American football
--roller hockey
--ice hockey
--cricket (imagine that)
--tennis
--billiards/pool
--foosball (this is so fun and it is considered a sport because you have no idea how much energy it requires when both players are playing seriously)
--badminton
--volleyball

I'm not super-athletic but I can usually hold my own :)

I have also worked out with weights and cardio equipment and did my fair share of swimming before I almost drowned in a lake.  My friend challenged me to swim across a big lake and I kinda didn't do it :P  I can also ride the unicycle, but not on a tightrope.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/07/06 at 6:14 pm

Ya know I really enjoyed swimming too.  I used to be a chicken off the diving board but now I'll try anything.  It was so weird, as a kid I couldn't hardly do anything but a toothpick then one day as a junior in high school I decided enough was a enough, so I went off the board and did a flip.  Took me the rest of the summer to learn how to stop and just do a dive but the next year I could do anything anyone asked me to do except a gainer.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/08/06 at 3:27 am

I played basketball and volleyball in grade school, didn't have time to play sports in high school, didn't have time to play sports in college.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/06 at 4:14 am

Before my back went pear-shaped, I used to play golf, nevering breaking 100 around the course and my handicap was my swing. Though I did enjoy cricket, but only as park cricket with a tennis ball, playing with friends.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/08/06 at 6:19 am

In Primary (Elementary) school, I enjoyed playing many sports during lunch-breaks, weekends.etc with friends, and played both Soccer and Australian Rules Football for the school team. Suffice to say I didn't actually participate in any extra-curricular sports, but played alot of basketball. I joined a Junior Tenpin Bowling League in 2002 at age 16 - in 2002-03 I won two awards - for highest position and something else, I forget what. I also achieved two lane records, and a Junior record of 223. Alas, those days appear to be over, as I haven't picked up a bowling ball in close to a year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/06 at 6:22 am

In Primary (Elementary) school, I enjoyed playing many sports during lunch-breaks, weekends.etc with friends, and played both Soccer and Australian Rules Football for the school team. Suffice to say I didn't actually participate in any extra-curricular sports, but played alot of basketball. I joined a Junior Tenpin Bowling League in 2002 at age 16 - in 2002-03 I won two awards - for highest position and something else, I forget what. I also achieved two lane records, and a Junior record of 223. Alas, those days appear to be over, as I haven't picked up a bowling ball in close to a year.

Ten Pin Bowling I tried only once, then again never had a strike.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/08/06 at 8:08 am

As far as participation in team sports goes :

Played Football (Soccer) for ten seasons.  8 seasons with Taringa Rovers as a junior, and then 2 with Moggill United as a senior.  In juniors was valued highly simply because I am left footed and they were so rare that I always got to play left wing  :P :P :P

Bowled for about 7 years in various organised leagues.  Won lots of trophies but mainly because of the standard of the opposition rather than any great abilities on my part  ;D  Got a high score of 267, that was something to remember :)

Played Indoor Cricket for a few years and we won the Premiership after scraping into 4th place, battling through to the final and then knocking off the team who had finished the season at # 1 and were unbeaten.  That was fun  ;)

Also played Cricket on literally two occasions for proper teams as a substitute.

Like sport.  Adept at most, master of none  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/08/06 at 9:43 am

Got a high score of 267, that was something to remember :)

Ha!  Mine was like 115 :D

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/08/06 at 10:03 am

ya'll talking about bowling now.

Kid you not one night I was picked for a team and scored a 25, a 25! The next night we went out bowling again and of course I was the last picked and they got "STUCK" with me.  I scored a 135 and helped win the game!  Pysche!

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/06 at 6:39 am

Played soccer to a semi-pro level. (I.e I was paid a weekly salary to play).

I played for school teams and was spotted by the coach of a local semi-pro team in a town called Wigston.
He took me down there for a tryout and I was good enough to play.
I generally played on the right hand side of the midfield but if there was a need for it I could play in central defence as well.
I then destroyed my knee and pretty much haven't played more than a few charity games and stuff since then.
I'm working on my coaching qualifications and would eventually like to work within Major League Soccer. I'll never play but I can certainly have an input on the sport I love.

For fun I played Rugby, Baseball, Football, Hockey, Lacrosse and I swam.

As for semi-serious competition... I did quite a lot of competitive sailing, although my last time out on a boat I was hopeless, my version of sailing now is to get the boat somewhere near the middle of the body of water and start drinking heavily.

I've always been a keen rider and have competed (and placed) in numerous dressage and cross country competitions.

Written By: paul.martin on 07/09/06 at 7:20 am

hi guys. some of the replies here are pretty impressive :)
I only play for pleasure, not a pro at any of these but as longs as it's fun it's defently worth it: tennis, table tennis, pool, inline skating, swimming

Written By: Paul on 07/14/06 at 7:14 am

Most of my sporting exploits were confined to school...

Rugby...nearly broke my arm within 5 minutes!

Cross-country...nearly had a coronary at 3 miles!

So, it was mostly confined to footy...the classic 'playground' version played on South London's finest concrete, with two teams comprising of 54 per side...

...if we were really up for it, this would swiftly transmogrify into a game of 'boots'...

Simple rules to 'boots'...you kicked the ball towards a puny-ish looking kid so it hit him and then all steamed in to the poor unfortunate kicking him to within an inch of his life!

Assuming he was still alive, he'd then get a chance to kick the ball at some other unsuspecting kid...(repeat ad nauseum, or until playtime was over)

Such gentle pursuits...

Written By: KKay on 07/14/06 at 9:52 am

I had a thread like this a while back...but i've forgotten it all...great idea.

I was in gymnastics for a while.
junior and high school.
otherwise just running around annoying people.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/14/06 at 12:35 pm

Field Hockey
Softball
Cheerleading

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/14/06 at 4:22 pm

Ha!  Mine was like 115 :D

Well, Rice, there's "opportunity for improvement"  :P

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/14/06 at 5:04 pm

I started playing soccer when I was about 7 years old, and it took me about 12 years (or so) to find out I wasn't made for the game.
I hated practice, I hated getting wet or dirty, and I had no talent whatsoever. The only thing keeping me in the team was the fact that there were only about 13 to 14 players, plus nobody else wanted to play on the right midfield. ;D
For as long as I can remember I tried to stay away from the "action" on the field - just did a lot of running to and fro, pretending to be busy and eager. I don't recall scoring a single goal in any of the competition matches I've played.

Come to think of it, I think I did have some sort of talent: I always knew where to be to avoid the ball getting passed to me. ;D

I also played bowls for about a year (yeah bowls, not bowling), but I had to give that up when I found my present job (we practiced on Wednesday afternoon b/c just about everybody was, like, 60-plus). I had seen it on the BBC quite a few times, and it seemed like just the kind of sport for me: mostly indoors and not too tiring (physically). I wasn't too bad at this, but I doubt I would've made it to the world top had I had the time & opportunity. Anyway - it was great fun. :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/06 at 7:28 pm

I played T-Ball when I was little, but I quit the day I took a ball in the face.  I stood in the field crying and bleeding, and all my coach could say was "Tough it out"  >:(

I played soccer for a bit, until I took a ball in the cherries.

Sports was never my thing  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/06 at 12:56 pm

I was the first girl to play soccer for my high school. There were 3 of us girls on the team but I was the only one to play in the first game because the other two didn't get their so-called physicals before hand. But that was the only team I was on-other then playing softball in gym class. But I was on the cheerleading squad in high school for basketball. Does that count?

Cat

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/18/06 at 10:32 pm

I was the first girl to play soccer for my high school. There were 3 of us girls on the team but I was the only one to play in the first game because the other two didn't get their so-called physicals before hand. But that was the only team I was on-other then playing softball in gym class. But I was on the cheerleading squad in high school for basketball. Does that count?

Cat

Cheerleading involves practice, discipline and in certain times and areas competition.  Anymore most states have a State tournament.  At the college level they train beyond technique as well.  Lifting weights and running as well as heavy stretching.  I'm not so sure if it's really important to think of it as a sport or not think of it as a sport. It keeps a lot of young girls doing something good and recreational.

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/18/06 at 11:20 pm

I don't do any sports at school....but in PE i like to play basketball....but that is about it

Check for new replies or respond here...