inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2006 All-Star Game

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/06 at 2:15 pm

I'll be rooting for the National League.

Cat

Subject: Re: 2006 All-Star Game

Written By: nally on 07/09/06 at 2:17 pm

Same here. It's been ten long years since they won the ASG...they're overdue for a win! :o

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/06 at 5:35 pm

Yeah the Major League needs to beat Quadruple A for once.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:04 pm

My vote is "don't care".  Pud Lite is trying to make a meaningless game meaningful and in the process, ruining what should be a fun game.  This game should have ZERO bearing on anything, but he had to make HFA contingent upon it.  I wish no one on my team was even in it.  They need the rest.

And after watching the way the AL destroyed the NL in interleague play, I have a hard time seeing the NL winning this thing anyway.

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/06 at 8:08 pm

My vote is "don't care".  Pud Lite is trying to make a meaningless game meaningful and in the process, ruining what should be a fun game.  This game should have ZERO bearing on anything, but he had to make HFA contingent upon it.  I wish no one on my team was even in it.  They need the rest.

Gotta agree.

'This time it counts!'

No Bud.. shut up. We play 162 games to decide who is better.. not a fuc.king exhibition match.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/09/06 at 8:10 pm

Does home field really matter all that much when the middle three games of the series are played at the lower-seed's field?  Don't you think this gives the lower-seed a more even chance?

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/06 at 8:12 pm

Does home field really matter all that much when the middle three games of the series are played at the lower-seed's field?  Don't you think this gives the lower-seed a more even chance?

It all really depends where you're playing to be honest.

For instance, the Twins go in to every game with an advantage.. whereas if you take Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen and Encarnacion to Wrigley.. the away team has the advantage.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/11/06 at 8:23 am

Liriano goes

He deserved it more than Pizczfzcky anyway.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/11/06 at 11:32 pm

I didn't watch the game, but I knew before it even started that the real league (the AL) would win, and I was right.  HUZZAH!

Written By: nally on 07/12/06 at 12:00 am

yeah...the NL was one (blanking) strike away from winning it...but then whats-his-name knocks in the runs to give the AL a lead...and eventually another victory. >:( Bah!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/12/06 at 12:04 am

You silly NL fans with your pitchers who bat. 

Written By: nally on 07/12/06 at 12:07 am

Well, the game was in an NL stadium this year, so there was no DH. Next year the game will be in an AL stadium (I dunno which one, though), so the pitchers won't be batting.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/12/06 at 12:16 am

Well, the game was in an NL stadium this year, so there was no DH. Next year the game will be in an AL stadium (I dunno which one, though), so the pitchers won't be batting.

Nope, the next ASG is in San Francisco, an NL park.

Written By: nally on 07/12/06 at 12:18 am

Nope, the next ASG is in San Francisco, an NL park.

So they're not alternating anymore like they used to? Darn. :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/12/06 at 12:21 am

So they're not alternating anymore like they used to? Darn. :-\\

I don't know why next year's ASG is in San Fran when they've alternated every year prior to next year.  Last year was an AL park the year before that NL and so forth and so on.  More sh*tty commissioning by Pud Lite.

Written By: nally on 07/12/06 at 12:25 am

I don't know why next year's ASG is in San Fran when they've alternated every year prior to next year.  Last year was an AL park the year before that NL and so forth and so on.  More sh*tty commissioning by Pud Lite.

Your guess is as good as mine. ::) I wonder if the 2008 game is gonna be in an AL park.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/12/06 at 12:29 am

Your guess is as good as mine. ::) I wonder if the 2008 game is gonna be in an AL park.

It will be. 

Among the cities in the running for 2008's All-Star Game are Anaheim (whose stadium was so completely transformed in the late 1990s and early 2000s that some people almost consider it a whole new entity), Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Toronto. Commissioner Selig said during the 2005 All-Star Break that the 2008 game will definitely go to an American League city.

So why the NL park in back-to-back years if you're just going to go back to alternating it after that?  I heard he wants to have the 2009 ASG in Yankee Stadium because that would be the last season the team plays there before they move to the new park. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/06 at 12:18 pm

Didn't get to see the game last night (we had company). I did see the highlights. It looked like it was a very close game. Bummer about the NL.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 07/12/06 at 2:36 pm

You silly NL fans with your pitchers who bat. 

They don't bat... they flail.  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/12/06 at 2:41 pm

They don't bat... they flail.  ;D

The best thing they do is bunt...that's mostly all they're expected to do anyway.  Too bad that don't help pitchers improve their batting skillz :P

Written By: La Roche on 07/12/06 at 2:50 pm

The best thing they do is bunt...that's mostly all they're expected to do anyway.  Too bad that don't help pitchers improve their batting skillz :P

Some are good batters. But yes, most just bunt.

Marquis and Wainwright can both hit.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/12/06 at 2:54 pm

What I would like to see is for the NL to continue to cultivate good pitchers who can hit from the college ranks.  From high school through college, a lot of pitchers can still hit very well, but that skill seems to wane as they go further in the big leagues.  Once you have a good hitting pitcher, continue to foster their skills by inserting them in non-crucial pinch hit situations.

You can also put them in pinch-run situations to keep them loose.

Y'know, last night's game was low-scoring but it was still exciting.  The NL was literally a couple pitches away from winning it in the top.  I think they should have said "the hell with Carlos Lee" at the last at-bat and pinch hit Nomar, but oh well.

Written By: La Roche on 07/12/06 at 2:59 pm

What I would like to see is for the NL to continue to cultivate good pitchers who can hit from the college ranks.  From high school through college, a lot of pitchers can still hit very well, but that skill seems to wane as they go further in the big leagues.  Once you have a good hitting pitcher, continue to foster their skills by inserting them in non-crucial pinch hit situations.

You can also put them in pinch-run situations to keep them loose.

Y'know, last night's game was low-scoring but it was still exciting.  The NL was literally a couple pitches away from winning it in the top.  I think they should have said "the hell with Carlos Lee" at the last at-bat and pinch hit Nomar, but oh well.

Mulder hit all through college but was never encouraged at the major league level.
Yes, in the NL, a hitter than can bat all of a sudden becomes a 5 tool guy (in a roundabout sense).

Written By: nally on 07/12/06 at 4:02 pm

That's what the majority of them do. Occasionally they'll get a hit or something.

Written By: Abix on 07/30/06 at 10:17 pm

I know I'm a little late , posting here,  but it's been a busy summer. In reply to pitchers  who can hit- Johan Santana is a great hitter. FYI :P
Ok I'll go back to my dorkathon now. Carry on.

Check for new replies or respond here...