inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best player without a championship ring?

Written By: Max Power on 07/20/06 at 11:02 am

Who do you think it is?

Subject: Re: Best player without a championship ring?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/20/06 at 4:13 pm

I'd give a toss-up between Dan Marino and Charles Barkley.  But that's just me.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/20/06 at 4:24 pm

Don Mattingly. 

Written By: loki 13 on 07/20/06 at 4:42 pm

Barry Sanders

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/20/06 at 4:50 pm

Cam Neely

Written By: danootaandme on 07/20/06 at 5:52 pm

Barry Bonds

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/20/06 at 7:32 pm

Barry Bonds

Hee hee...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/20/06 at 7:38 pm

Barry Bonds

Mmmmm, I don't know about this.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/20/06 at 8:07 pm

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, while he's an unpopular choice, it's not totally unfounded.  Bonds' teams have gone to the playoffs many times in his career, even though the only time they didn't totally yuk it up was 2002.  At press time, Bonds' career batting average is .300, he has 721 home runs and 509 stolen bases (only athlete in history to have 500/500 btw), almost 2800 hits and holds the career record in walks.  Dangerous hitter, even if he's all broken now.  Seven-time MVP and multiple Gold Gloves too, though whether or not he deserved all of these awards is up in the air.

If we look at Mattingly, though, he does have a career average over .300 and was a superb first baseman.  Only one MVP award, but almost always in the running for the award.  Didn't have nearly that many home runs, and only made it to one playoff series (that was really sad that he retired just before the Yankees won it all again).  But in terms of all-around good guyness, Mattingly was a heck of a lot cooler than Bonds will ever be.  The only people who actually cheer for Bonds are Giants fans, and not even all of them cheer.  Everyone cheered Mattingly.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/06 at 4:26 pm

Seven-time MVP and multiple Gold Gloves too, though whether or not he deserved all of these awards is up in the air.

I admit he may not be a likable guy( like say...Ty Cobb) But he made Golden Gloves and MVP before he started booting.

These are things he did before 1998

7 Time Silver Slugger winner for National League Outfielder (1990-94, 1996-97)
3 Time National League MVP (1990, 1992-93)
Major League Player of the Year (1990)
8-Time All-Star (1990, 1992-98,)
8-Time Gold Glove winner for National League Outfielder (1990-94, 1996-98)
Joined the 40-40 club in 1996(40 homers, 40 stolen bases in one season.  There are only 3 in this club Canseco and A Rod 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/21/06 at 4:37 pm

I admit he may not be a likable guy( like say...Ty Cobb) But he made Golden Gloves and MVP before he started booting.

These are things he did before 1998

7 Time Silver Slugger winner for National League Outfielder (1990-94, 1996-97)
3 Time National League MVP (1990, 1992-93)
Major League Player of the Year (1990)
8-Time All-Star (1990, 1992-98,)
8-Time Gold Glove winner for National League Outfielder (1990-94, 1996-98)
Joined the 40-40 club in 1996(40 homers, 40 stolen bases in one season.  There are only 3 in this club Canseco and A Rod 

Well yeah, those awards are probably "more legit" than the ones he got after '98 ;)  But it's kind of like the Wayne Gretzky situation...see, Gretzky didn't hit a lot, he wasn't particularly tough, didn't skate very fast, wasn't super agile, yet scored almost 900 goals and has more assists than ANYONE has total points.  You could argue that Gretzky got these records only because he was surrounded by talent like Mark Messier and enforcers like Marty McSorley, but what other scrawny not-so-agile guy in the same situation have you heard of that came even CLOSE to these records?  Similarly, even if Bonds took steroids, no other obviously-roided-up player commands that much respect at the plate or shows as much hand-eye coordination to pick out pitches and wack the stuffing out of them.  Do you honestly think someone would pitch around a juiced-up, oh, I dunno...Juan Pierre?  I didn't think so either :D

Some of the achievements may belong to the (alleged) drugs and the player's situation at the time, but a lot of it should still be attributed to the individual's own efforts.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/06 at 5:01 pm

Similarly, even if Bonds took steroids, no other obviously-roided-up player commands that much respect at the plate or shows as much hand-eye coordination to pick out pitches and wack the stuffing out of them.  Do you honestly think someone would pitch around a juiced-up, oh, I dunno...Juan Pierre?  I didn't think so either :D

Some of the achievements may belong to the (alleged) drugs and the player's situation at the time, but a lot of it should still be attributed to the individual's own efforts.

I agree with all this.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/22/06 at 5:55 pm

Noel Thompson
Ralph DeNisco

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/22/06 at 6:15 pm

Well yeah, those awards are probably "more legit" than the ones he got after '98 ;)  But it's kind of like the Wayne Gretzky situation...see, Gretzky didn't hit a lot, he wasn't particularly tough, didn't skate very fast, wasn't super agile, yet scored almost 900 goals and has more assists than ANYONE has total points.  You could argue that Gretzky got these records only because he was surrounded by talent like Mark Messier and enforcers like Marty McSorley, but what other scrawny not-so-agile guy in the same situation have you heard of that came even CLOSE to these records?  Similarly, even if Bonds took steroids, no other obviously-roided-up player commands that much respect at the plate or shows as much hand-eye coordination to pick out pitches and wack the stuffing out of them.  Do you honestly think someone would pitch around a juiced-up, oh, I dunno...Juan Pierre?  I didn't think so either :D

The only place Bonds commands respect anymore IS at the plate.  If/when debate for whether or not he should be in the HOF comes up, in a choice between him and Pete Rose, I bet the majority of people asked would want Rose in over Bonds.  Quite a few of the veterans who are on the Veteran's Committee have said that if gets down to them to vote him in, they won't.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 6:18 pm

The only place Bonds commands respect anymore IS at the plate.  If/when debate for whether or not he should be in the HOF comes up, in a choice between him and Pete Rose, I bet the majority of people asked would want Rose in over Bonds.  Quite a few of the veterans who are on the Veteran's Committee have said that if gets down to them to vote him in, they won't.

That's fair, but he still hit a lot of home runs.  The prompt was "best player", not "favorite player". 

I like Charles Barkley a lot though...very tough athlete who was a multiple threat with all-range shots, better-than-average defender, superb rebounder for a guy his height.  He should be a shoo-in for the Basketball Hall of Fame :)  Funny guy too.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/06 at 6:25 pm

Ballotting for the Hall of Fame is a popularity contest.  It shouldn't be votes, it should be stats and until then it will be an unfair guage of the greatest players.  You must take note, too, that Ty Cobb got more votes than Babe Ruth, and was considered the greatest player of all time, and he was even less likeable than Bonds.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/22/06 at 7:31 pm

Ballotting for the Hall of Fame is a popularity contest.

I don't believe that.  Balloting for the ASG is a popularity contest.  The BWAA (Baseball Writer's Association of America) is responsible for electing players to the HOF.  Not fans, not other players .

It shouldn't be votes, it should be stats and until then it will be an unfair guage of the greatest players. 

You mean votes based on career stats both offensively and defensively?  Yeah, they already do that.  Why else do you think a lot of pitchers want to get at least a 20-win season or a Cy Young award under their belts?  Or why batters want to try to finish with a career average near .300 or better?  See, it IS based on stats.  A lot of great players aren't in the hall because they don't have the career numbers.  Mattingly would have gotten in had his career not been sidelined because of a back injury.

You must take note, too, that Ty Cobb got more votes than Babe Ruth, and was considered the greatest player of all time, and he was even less likeable than Bonds.

No, really?  I didn't know that.  I've only grown up with this game my whole life.  You must take note too, that at the time of Ruth's induction, he hadn't achieved the mythical status that he has now.  In the circles of people who knew baseball, the only thing he had over Cobb was HRs and that's because Cobb played in the Dead Ball era and Ruth didn't.  Cobb also has the highest career batting average EVER at .356, I believe.  And a lot of players back then were pricks.  It was a fact of life.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/06 at 9:20 pm

I don't believe that.  Balloting for the ASG is a popularity contest.  The BWAA (Baseball Writer's Association of America) is responsible for electing players to the HOF.  Not fans, not other players .

Like I said, a popularity contest.  The BWAA votes.  If they don't like you they can keep you out, Jim Rice is a case in point.  If it was purely on stats, without voting, it would be a fairer method.

And a lot of players back then were pricks.  It was a fact of life.

Things haven't changed all that much. A lot of the players back then were pricks and lot of the players now are pricks.  Something that players learned from from the Babe was to be careful with your public image which is why Babe Ruth was one of the first players(if not the first) to hire a publicity agent.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 9:36 pm

I don't think they really cared too much about Babe Ruth's image after he won the Yankees a bunch of World Series :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/23/06 at 1:56 am

Like I said, a popularity contest.  The BWAA votes.  If they don't like you they can keep you out, Jim Rice is a case in point.  If it was purely on stats, without voting, it would be a fairer method.

Oh. My. God.  How do you have elections of any nature?  By voting, that's how.  Whether it's student class president, head cheerleader or POTUS, you have a list of candidates and based on their qualifications, you vote to determine who wins.  Or in this case, who gets into the HOF.  There are a select number of players every year that come up for election and the BWAA has to determine BASED ON STATS.....ON STATS who gets in and who doesn't.  Are you trying to tell me that they also don't like Ron Santo, Goose Gossage and Don Mattingly?  Hello.....look at their stats comperable to other people playing the same position who are currently in the hall and then tell me if they belong or if they don't.  Here's a list of other LFers in the HOF.  Please tell me by looking up all the numbers if Rice should be included with them: Carl Yastrzemski, Ted Williams, Willie Stargell, Stan Musial, Billy Williams and Lou Brock.  Jim Rice and Ted Williams don't even belong in the same sentence unless you're saying they both played for the Red Sox.

You CANNOT just line up a bunch of batting averages, earned run averages and the like and say if you get over this number in each of these fields you get in.  Then everyone and their brother would get in and that's not the point of the HOF.  Jim Rice, while good......doesn't have the numbers to get in.  Sorry.  Some people have really good years that look like they're HOF-bound and then things happen that make it look not so likely.  It's not bias.  It's not favortism.  It's not a popularity contest.  It's "take a look at the following people already there who played that position and tell me if he deserves to be in with them". 

Barry Bonds may have the numbers to get in when it's all said and done but if Bud Selig says that because of the steroids he's not eligible for the HOF, that's not the BWWA's fault.  It's Barry's for being a jackass.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/06 at 6:55 am

Oh. My. God.  How do you have elections of any nature?  By voting, that's how.  Whether it's student class president, head cheerleader or POTUS, you have a list of candidates and based on their qualifications, you vote to determine who wins.

Student President(he$$ US President), head cheerleader, POTUS, win because of qualifications?  Naive to say the least  ::)

Jim Rice and Ted Williams don't even belong in the same sentence unless you're saying they both played for the Red Sox. Jim Rice, while good......doesn't have the numbers to get in

He did have the numbers, if he didn't he wouldn't keep making the ballot.  The constant reason that shows up when asked of the voters(if they care to answer) is that he wasn't a nice quy.  He wasn't, to the media, so now is payback time.  Most players aren't Ted Williams, that doesn't keep them out of the Hall.  His stats were way to over the top for them to pass him up, but take note, Ted, while everyone gets teary eyed talking about the Splendid Splinter, was considered an awful, awful, human being.  There are players whose images while playing become distant memories and they become the loveable figures that don't match the reality of their actions during their carreers. He hated Boston, but then I can sympathize with that.  It is my opinion it is because playing for Boston he had to hide his hispanic background.

Barry Bonds may have the numbers to get in when it's all said and done but if Bud Selig says that because of the steroids he's not eligible for the HOF, that's not the BWWA's fault.  It's Barry's for being a jackass.

Whether or not Selig keeps him out is another story.  He will of course keep McGwire out, since he admitted taking steroids, and other suspected players will have to be blackballed at the same time.  If he puts the skids on McGwire I would say Bonds and him can sit home together and talk about the good old days.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/23/06 at 11:22 am

Student President(he$ US President), head cheerleader, POTUS, win because of qualifications?  Naive to say the least  ::)

I was talking about in theory, for God's sake.  Christ. 

He did have the numbers, if he didn't he wouldn't keep making the ballot.  The constant reason that shows up when asked of the voters(if they care to answer) is that he wasn't a nice quy.  He wasn't, to the media, so now is payback time.  Most players aren't Ted Williams, that doesn't keep them out of the Hall.  His stats were way to over the top for them to pass him up, but take note, Ted, while everyone gets teary eyed talking about the Splendid Splinter, was considered an awful, awful, human being.  There are players whose images while playing become distant memories and they become the loveable figures that don't match the reality of their actions during their carreers. He hated Boston, but then I can sympathize with that.  It is my opinion it is because playing for Boston he had to hide his hispanic background.

A lot of players that have no chance to make the hall make the ballot every year.  You wanna know why?  "Maybe next year".  If the first year you're eligible you don't get in, they take you off the ballot, the HOF would be pretty effing empty.  Also, maybe the next year's class will be weaker than the previous, so the person who might not have been able to get in the previous year would be able to get in the next.  And WHO THE HELL CARES IF TED WILLIAMS WAS AN AWFUL HUMAN BEING?  I know about his contempt for the press, but this has nothing to do with that.  I could give a flying fig in hell about who he hated, who hated him, why they hated each other.....means nothing.  If the way these people really were was a determinant for inclusion, once again.....the hall would be an empty place.

Have you tried taking a look at the numbers of the people he comes up for election with every year?  Have you?  I don't think you have.  If you did a little comparison shopping, you'd see that while Rice is good......he's not that good.  He benefited from having good teammates (Yaz, Fisk, Lynn) all those years in Boston, but if he had been stuck on another team without them, he wouldn't have near the numbers he does now.

Written By: Bobo on 07/23/06 at 1:22 pm

Careful with the language guys. I don't want to have to be forced to use my left mouse button.

Written By: Max Power on 07/23/06 at 2:38 pm

Karl Malone.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/23/06 at 3:35 pm

Karl Malone.

I would agree up to a point, if you will include John Stockton in the package deal.  Those two complemented each other, as without Stockton in LA (and Karl's self-reduced role) Karl didn't put up quite the same numbers. 

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/23/06 at 8:15 pm

Larry Shreeve

Written By: La Roche on 07/24/06 at 8:52 am

Larry Walker

Written By: freeridemt on 07/25/06 at 1:08 am

You can not justify putting William's and Rice in the same sentence. William's gave up quite a few years of baseball to serve in the military. Twice in fact during WWII and Korea. If he had stayed home what stats would he have had?  Would we even be having this talk, they prorated William's Stats if he had stayed home And the Home Run total would have been between 725 and 750, plus around 3500 hits so you do the math. Rice was good don't get me wrong but Williams did most of this on crappy Red Sox's team back then.

Written By: Max Power on 07/29/06 at 5:07 pm

Just want to know, did Andre Dawson get one with the Marlins in 2003?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/29/06 at 7:56 pm

Just want to know, did Andre Dawson get one with the Marlins in 2003?

I thought he was retired by then.  Was he a coach on that team?

Written By: Max Power on 07/29/06 at 9:49 pm

I thought he was retired by then.  Was he a coach on that team?

Front office.

Written By: Max Power on 08/11/06 at 5:34 pm

The Waner brothers.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/11/06 at 8:11 pm

Max, it might help if you gave a brief bio of the people you are speaking of and a reason why you pick them in this category.  I have no idea who these Waner guys are  :-\\

Written By: Max Power on 08/11/06 at 10:07 pm

Max, it might help if you gave a brief bio of the people you are speaking of and a reason why you pick them in this category.  I have no idea who these Waner guys are  :-\\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Waner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Waner

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/11/06 at 10:28 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Waner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Waner

There's a lot of players in the HOF that don't have rings; doesn't mean they deserve to get them.

Check for new replies or respond here...