inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Open 2006

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 6:48 am

Being played at The Royal Liverpool Golf Club at Hoylake, and  the last time Hoylake hosted the Open, Harold Wilson was Prime Minister, the England football team were world champions and Tiger Woods was minus eight years of age. So it's been a while.

Defending champion Tiger Woods went clear at the top of the leaderboard on 12 under after a brilliant round of 65.

Chris DiMarco is the closest pursuer - three shots back after he rattled in eight birdies in his round, including four in a row from the eighth.

He had earlier led by two, but a huge putt on the eighth began Woods' charge.

Spaniard Miguel Angel Jimenez was four shots clear on nine under at one stage, but dropped three shots to slip back before finishing on seven under.

Subject: Re: The Open 2006

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/06 at 2:12 am

After the third day of play, Tiger Woods leads the Open by a shot on 13 under from Chris DiMarco, Sergio Garcia and Ernie Els going into the final round at Royal Liverpool.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/06 at 12:24 pm

Tiger taps in for par. It's his. Tiger is in tears as he regains the Open Championship. What a player.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 1:34 pm

Police said arrests averaged four a day in the Hoylake area for what were described as minor offences.

Two men - aged 35 and 40, from the North East and believed to be from a fathers' pressure group - were arrested for criminal damage after paint was thrown on the 18th green as Tiger Woods made his way up the fairway.

Another man was arrested for indecent exposure.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/24/06 at 3:52 pm

I'm sorry if this thread didn't get the response you were hoping for, Philip. :(

As for me, I'm not much of a golf fan, and "we" don't have any real top players either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 4:10 pm

I'm sorry if this thread didn't get the response you were hoping for, Philip. :(

As for me, I'm not much of a golf fan, and "we" don't have any real top players either.
There must had been a Dutch Golfer once?

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/24/06 at 4:18 pm

There must had been a Dutch Golfer once?

Oh, there are plenty, Philip - just can't think of their names right now. :-\\

There was a Dutchman who won the Dubai Desert Classic (sp?) in 2004, I believe it was. Well, I'm sure it was Dubai anyway...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 4:20 pm

There was a Dutchman who won the Dubai Desert Classic (sp?) in 2004, I believe it was. Well, I'm sure it was Dubai anyway...
I am thinkiing back in the 70s, the name will come to me later.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/24/06 at 4:22 pm

I had a quick look and it was 2003, actually. His name is Robert-Jan Derksen with a score of 271.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 4:24 pm

I had a quick look and it was 2003, actually. His name is Robert-Jan Derksen with a score of 271.
There are two other, Maarten Lafeber and Rolf Muntz. But these are modern day.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/24/06 at 4:36 pm

There are two other, Maarten Lafeber and Rolf Muntz. But these are modern day.

Ah yes - of course!  :-[ They're probably not nearly as bad as I think they are, but they're no Tiger Woods or Ernie Els.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/06 at 4:28 pm

Ah yes - of course!  :-[ They're probably not nearly as bad as I think they are, but they're no Tiger Woods or Ernie Els.
I am still trying to remember the name of the old Dutch golfer, I will make enquiries elsewhere.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/27/06 at 5:01 pm

I was pleased to see Tiger win again. I know he's been roughed up over his father's death and it certainly showed when he won the tournament.

Chris De Marco was so close...

Check for new replies or respond here...