inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best relief pitchers.

Written By: Max Power on 07/23/06 at 2:19 pm

:) Discuss.

Subject: Re: Best relief pitchers.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/23/06 at 3:30 pm

Mariano Rivera, bar none.  Despite his recent rash of postseason snafus, still the best, almost-automatic closer in the game.  Sure-fire Hall of Famer.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/23/06 at 10:53 pm

Mariano Rivera.  No debate necessary.  The dominance he showed in the PS alone, warrants him that title.  He'll be first-ballot HOF without a doubt.

Written By: La Roche on 07/24/06 at 6:34 pm

Toss up between Rivera and Smith.

Sutter gets a look in.

Here's the difference.

I think Rivera is by far the best closer of the modern era.. but ever since Tony La Russa started the concept of the closer only pitching the 9th, that's how it's been.
Your old school closer would often come in with the sacks jammed, no outs in the 8th.. and get out of it. He was your secret weapon.

90% of the time Rivera or Isringhausen or Hoffman.. whoever, will come in, 9th inning, no outs, nobody on, throw 9-10 pitches and leave.

Not quite the same thing: Discuss.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/24/06 at 6:43 pm

Toss up between Rivera and Smith.

Sutter gets a look in.

Here's the difference.

I think Rivera is by far the best closer of the modern era.. but ever since Tony La Russa started the concept of the closer only pitching the 9th, that's how it's been.
Your old school closer would often come in with the sacks jammed, no outs in the 8th.. and get out of it. He was your secret weapon.

90% of the time Rivera or Isringhausen or Hoffman.. whoever, will come in, 9th inning, no outs, nobody on, throw 9-10 pitches and leave.

Not quite the same thing: Discuss.  ;D

Mo's used more often in situations that are not 9th inning, no outs, bases empty, especially this season.  The guy can go 2 innings if need be, so most of the time, he becomes our 8th inning guy as well.

Written By: La Roche on 07/24/06 at 6:47 pm

Mo's used more often in situations that are not 9th inning, no outs, bases empty, especially this season.  The guy can go 2 innings if need be, so most of the time, he becomes our 8th inning guy as well.

True point.

The Yankees have lacked somewhat of a set-up guy and to be fair he's done a good job in that 2 inning role.

I'm not putting the guy down, just making the point that it's very hard to compare closers of today and 20-30  years ago.

I mean hell.. Isringhausen is a great closer, but I've seen La Russa have him face 2 guys before.. he'll throw 5 pitches and be put up in this pedestal as a hero.. odd.

Written By: nally on 07/25/06 at 12:13 am

Of those listed, only the top two are still active...and I can't decide between them (Mariano and T-Ho) at the moment. :-\\

Written By: Abix on 07/30/06 at 10:11 pm

My vote goes to  Joe Nathan. 

Written By: danootaandme on 08/02/06 at 5:00 pm

"The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" - Stephen King

Written By: freeridemt on 08/03/06 at 1:33 pm

You all forgot one of the all times best, Goose Gossage he played for the Red Sox, Yanks and San Deigo Padres.  Plus the way they counted saves back then is not the way we do it today. You can't tell how many times he saved the Sox in 67 or the Yanks durring there hayday from 76 to 81. Plus the Goose would come in for two or three innings in two or three games in a row.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/03/06 at 1:34 pm

You all forgot one of the all times best, Goose Gossage he played for the Red Sox, Yanks and San Deigo Padres.  Plus the way they counted saves back then is not the way we do it today. You can't tell how many times he saved the Sox in 67 or the Yanks durring there hayday from 76 to 81. Plus the Goose would come in for two or three innings in two or three games in a row.

You obviously aren't familiar with Torre's use of Mariano Rivera at times.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/03/06 at 1:58 pm

Dennis Eckersley

Written By: freeridemt on 08/03/06 at 2:01 pm

please the innings that the Goose ate up in the years from 75 to 79 for the yanks alone tell you he was in more games
Ok here is the offical stat the Goose 1809.3 innings pitched. Mariano Rivera 807 innings pitched no way Mariano comes close.

Written By: freeridemt on 08/03/06 at 2:05 pm

My whole point is that if they counted the saves the way they do now  back then,  how many would the Goose have alone for the Yanks..

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/03/06 at 2:08 pm

please the innings that the Goose ate up in the years from 75 to 79 for the yanks alone tell you he was in more games
Ok here is the offical stat the Goose 1809.3 innings pitched. Mariano Rivera 807 innings pitched no way Mariano comes close.

I wasn't saying that Mo has pitched as many innings.  What I was saying is that nowadays it is still not uncommon to see a closer pitch 2 innings in more than one game in a row.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/03/06 at 2:13 pm

Rivera can't pitch more than two innings, and certainly not do that more than two games in a row.  He doesn't have the stamina.

Written By: freeridemt on 08/03/06 at 2:14 pm

My point is they used the closers a lot different way back then.  Another one to think of is Rollie fingers he domiated the early 70's When the Oakland A's won three WS in a row. When is the last time a team has won three in  a row in Baseball?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/03/06 at 2:16 pm

My point is they used the closers a lot different way back then.  Another one to think of is Rollie fingers he domiated the early 70's When the Oakland A's won three WS in a row. When is the last time a team has won three in  a row in Baseball?

The Yankees did.  1998-2000.  Would've won four or five in a row if not for Knoblauch-head and if Mariano Rivera had thrown to first instead of trying to start a double play.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/03/06 at 2:17 pm

Rivera can't pitch more than two innings, and certainly not do that more than two games in a row.  He doesn't have the stamina.

Right.  How about Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS when he pitched 3 shutout innings in a row?  Mo can do it if he has to, we just won't be able to use him for a few games after that.  The same can be said for any of our relief pitchers (Villone, Farnsworth, Proctor).  I don't know how many times they've had to pitch 2-3 innings in back to back games because our starters sh*t the bed or had high pitch counts.  Mo has the stamina to do it.  He wouldn't be who he is and where he is if he didn't.  I believe he's pitched 3 innings in a couple games this season.

Written By: freeridemt on 08/03/06 at 2:24 pm

I know the Yanks won it three in a row, I meant that Sardonically. You have to go all the way back to the early 70's to find that.

Written By: Max Power on 08/05/06 at 5:00 pm

I know the Yanks won it three in a row...

Right after someone pointed it out.

Written By: Max Power on 08/05/06 at 5:02 pm

Actually he didn't play for the Red Sox, you're thinking about the White Sox and his name is on the ballot.

Written By: freeridemt on 08/06/06 at 11:24 am

Right after someone pointed it out.

Your right it is the White Sox and he pitched for 22 seasons.

Written By: Abix on 08/18/06 at 7:23 pm

I have to say that rookie Joel Zumaya (Detroit) looks like he's a force to be reckoned with. I can see him being a starter in no time.

Check for new replies or respond here...