inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Josh Gibson or Babe Ruth

Written By: danootaandme on 07/30/06 at 5:19 pm

I Gotta go with Josh

Subject: Re: Josh Gibson or Babe Ruth

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/30/06 at 7:30 pm

Who's Josh Gibson?

Written By: loki 13 on 07/30/06 at 8:34 pm

Josh Gibson's numbers were better, Didn't he hit 69 home runs one year?
though I'm sure alot of his stats were inflated or exaggerated I would have to agree
with your choice of Gibson. It would have been interesting to see how he would
have faired in a desegregated league, it is a shame he died so young.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/06 at 3:59 pm

Who's Josh Gibson?

www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/G/Gibson_Josh.stm

Rice you gotta get down with the Negro League.  It is probably the most fascinating chapter in the history of baseball.

Josh Gibson was a Negro League player, some called him the black Babe Ruth, I would say it is the other way around. In 1936 he hit 84 homers. It has been said, as Loki pointed out, that Negro Leagues inflated their numbers, I think that is part of the inherent racism of the times, not wanting to admit that black players could play as well, and in many cases better than the best white players. He was the second Negro Leaguer to get into the Hall of Fame, after Satchel.  The first to get in who had played exclusively in the Negro Leagues.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/31/06 at 4:07 pm

Oh yeah, I know what the Negro League is :)  The only Gibson I really know about though is Bob...great pitcher.

It's a shame that the black players didn't get a chance to showcase their stuff in the bigs back in the day.  At least they made progress since then.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/31/06 at 4:13 pm

Josh Gibson or Babe Ruth............in what?  What are we comparing?  This is like asking someone "Cheese or Sawdust?".

The only MLB Gibson I've ever heard of is Bob Gibson, and he was one hell of a pitcher. Dismantled that Red Sox team like no one's business back in '67.  That said, I'm going with Babe Ruth.    I'm not familiar with Josh Gibson and since I don't know why/what we're comparing to Babe Ruth with/for......I'm going with the person I've heard of. 

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/06 at 5:35 pm

Oh yeah, I know what the Negro League is :)  The only Gibson I really know about though is Bob...great pitcher.

It's a shame that the black players didn't get a chance to showcase their stuff in the bigs back in the day.  At least they made progress since then.

Just because they didn't get a chance to showcase their stuff in the white leagues doesn't mean they didn't get to showcase their stuff at all. I think it is a vestige of racism that allows people to figure that since blacks were not allowed to play in the "big" leagues that somehow we cannot compare them to the white players of the day. It is also a vestige of that racism that refuses to give credence to the Negro Leagues as a legitimate league who kept reliable stats. Players who saw Gibson play say that he was the best player they ever saw, and his stats were better than the Babes, but of course they were Negro League stats, deemed unreliable.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/06 at 5:37 pm

Josh Gibson or Babe Ruth............in what?  What are we comparing?  This is like asking someone "Cheese or Sawdust?".

The only MLB Gibson I've ever heard of is Bob Gibson, and he was one hell of a pitcher. Dismantled that Red Sox team like no one's business back in '67.  That said, I'm going with Babe Ruth.    I'm not familiar with Josh Gibson and since I don't know why/what we're comparing to Babe Ruth with/for......I'm going with the person I've heard of. 

We are comparing 2 of the most famousbaseball players in history(thought you said you were a fan)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/31/06 at 5:44 pm

We are comparing 2 of the most famousbaseball players in history(thought you said you were a fan)

I am a fan, dear.  See, what I was saying was just putting down two names doesn't make it a comparison.  I could start a thread saying "Cheese or sawdust" and until I put down the parameters, the comparision makes no sense.  Am I asking which is worse?  Am I asking which is better?  Am I asking what goes better on french fries?  Am I asking what looks better on linoleum tiling?  See my point?  Furthermore, you're questioning my fanhood when you don't even get how players are elected to the HOF?

Just because I hadn't heard of him/what he's done, doesn't make me less of a baseball fan than someone who has.  Have you heard of Tony Lazzerri?  Frank Crosetti? 

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/06 at 5:50 pm

Just because I hadn't heard of him/what he's done, doesn't make me less of a baseball fan than someone who has.  Have you heard of Tony Lazzerri?  Frank Crosetti? 

Taking names out of hats? The Italian wave, neither Lazzeri or Crosetti comes anywhere near the stature of Gibson or Ruth. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/31/06 at 5:51 pm

Taking names out of hats? The Italian wave, neither Lazzeri or Crosetti comes anywhere near the stature of Gibson or Ruth. 

No, I was listing players I've heard of and asking if you had heard of them as well.  I wasn't comparing them to Gibson or Ruth.  Did I say I was?  Please point out in my post where I did that.  I'd like to see it.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/06 at 5:55 pm

I wasn't comparing them to Gibson or Ruth.  Did I say I was?  Please point out in my post where I did that.  I'd like to see it.

panties in a twist?

Back on topic....Babe or Josh

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/31/06 at 5:58 pm

Just because they didn't get a chance to showcase their stuff in the white leagues doesn't mean they didn't get to showcase their stuff at all. I think it is a vestige of racism that allows people to figure that since blacks were not allowed to play in the "big" leagues that somehow we cannot compare them to the white players of the day. It is also a vestige of that racism that refuses to give credence to the Negro Leagues as a legitimate league who kept reliable stats. Players who saw Gibson play say that he was the best player they ever saw, and his stats were better than the Babes, but of course they were Negro League stats, deemed unreliable.

Actually, I was just reading how, along with Bruce Sutter, 17 folks associated with the Negro Leagues were just enshrined into the Hall of Fame.  A bit late in the recognition of talents and contributions, but at least they finally got it right, eh?  :)

I may have gotten the numbers wrong.  The article can be googled though, because the fact that Sutter got in kinda overshadowed the Negro Leaguers secondary storyline...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/31/06 at 5:59 pm

panties in a twist?

Curious about the state of my underwear, are we?  Nice.  I'll send you bi-weekly reports if you'd like.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/06 at 6:05 pm

Actually, I was just reading how, along with Bruce Sutter, 17 folks associated with the Negro Leagues were just enshrined into the Hall of Fame.  A bit late in the recognition of talents and contributions, but at least they finally got it right, eh?  :)

I may have gotten the numbers wrong.  The article can be googled though, because the fact that Sutter got in kinda overshadowed the Negro Leaguers secondary storyline...

Actually they have been inducting Negro Leaguers since the 70's, Gibson was added in 72.  I haven't been to the Hall, but,  I was disappointed that Buck O'Neill didn't make it, more I think because he is still around in his 90's and would have appreciated it.

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/06 at 2:25 pm

Actually they have been inducting Negro Leaguers since the 70's, Gibson was added in 72.  I haven't been to the Hall, but,  I was disappointed that Buck O'Neill didn't make it, more I think because he is still around in his 90's and would have appreciated it.

There is a big push to get him in the Hall, did you see when the KC minor league team added him to their roster.. he drew two walks.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...