inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sports in Movies, Books and Songs

Written By: danootaandme on 08/01/06 at 4:13 pm

What are your recommendations

Baseball-Ken Burns documentary
This Sporting Life-Movie(soccer)
Bingo Longs Traveling All Stars-Movie(baseball)

Subject: Re: Sports in Movies, Books and Songs

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/01/06 at 4:16 pm

Fictional or non-fictional?

Fiction: Field of Dreams, The Natural, Bull Durham, Slap Shot

Nonfiction: The Rookie (with Dennis Quaid), Miracle

I did enjoy reading parts of the book by Stephen King and some other dude about the Red Sox finally winning it all in 2004, even though I'm not a Sox fan. 

I think CCR did a fun song about playing in the "Center Field" too :D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/02/06 at 4:56 pm

Fictional or non-fictional?

Fiction: Field of Dreams, The Natural, Bull Durham, Slap Shot

Nonfiction: The Rookie (with Dennis Quaid), Miracle

I did enjoy reading parts of the book by Stephen King and some other dude about the Red Sox finally winning it all in 2004, even though I'm not a Sox fan. 

I think CCR did a fun song about playing in the "Center Field" too :D

Loved "Field of Dreams" with Shoeless Joe coming out of the cornfield, but I haven't seen "Bull Durham" yet, and I know it is supposed to be real good.  John Fogarty did "Centerfield" after CCR broke up, I am not a fan of Fogarty in any way, shape, or form, but I do like that song.  Stephen King also wrote "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" because he is a big Sox fan and loved when Gordon came up to relieve pitch.  I think that Gordon was traded the same year the book came out.  Have you seen "Baseball" by Ken Burns.  It is a documentary that is absolutely fantastic and a must see for every fan of Baseball, I dare say if you are not an enthusiast of baseball and its history before you see this you will be hooked once you do.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/03/06 at 9:16 am

Bull Durham was good except for the fact that Tim Robbins threw like an epileptic chicken :P

I saw the big anthology of "Baseball" DVDs at Costco but it just seemed like too much for me both in terms of $$ and time consumption :D  I think I will catch it on A&E or something when it broadcasts (whenever it does) :)

I would highly recommend "Miracle" if you haven't seen it.  You do not have to be a hockey fan to appreciate the movie.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/03/06 at 3:28 pm

I saw the big anthology of "Baseball" DVDs at Costco but it just seemed like too much for me both in terms of $$ and time consumption :D  I think I will catch it on A&E or something when it broadcasts (whenever it does) :)

They have it at our local library, or maybe at the video store.  Can't stress how good it is.  I don't know if you have seen any Ken Burns stuff, but he comes up with weird wonderful bits of history.  He also did The Civil War, which was fantastic and a few other things.  I think that "Baseball" and "The Civil War" should be seen by every American at some point.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/15/06 at 4:05 pm

Have you guys seen Bend It Like Beckham?

Written By: loki 13 on 08/15/06 at 5:36 pm

My favorite baseball movie is "Eight Men Out" with John Cusak, Charlie Sheen and D.B. Sweeney.
A story about the 1919 White Sox, or Black Sox scandal. The movie is based on a book by
Eliot Asinof.

Football movie: the original "Longest Yard" and props to the football scene in the movie "M*A*S*H"

Basketball movie: Hoosiers

Golf movie: Dead Solid Perfect

Hockey movie: Slap Shot

Chick flick figure skating movie: "The Cutting Edge" and "Champions, A Love Story" but if anyone should
                                            ask if I have seen these, I will emphatically deny it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/06 at 6:08 pm

Some of my favorites:

Major League (baseball)
Rudy (football)
61 (baseball)
Damn Yankees (baseball-yeah, yeah, I know-another musical  ;D )
Ice Castles (figure skating)
8 Men Out (baseball)
Field of Dreams (baseball)
American Anthem (gymastics)
A League of Their Own (baseball)
Bagger Vance (golf)
Wildcats (football)
The Sandlot (baseball)

I know there are more but that is all I can think of right now.

Oh yeah, I LOVE the song "Centerfield". That song ALWAYS brings a smile to my face.

There was another baseball song called "Right Field" by Peter, Paul & Mary.

Right field, it's easy, you know.
You can be awkward and you can be slow
That's why I'm here in right field
Just watching the dandelions grow

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/15/06 at 7:40 pm

Baseball (docu by Ken Burns)
Eight Men Out (book and movie)
Paper Lion
Field of Dreams
Seabiscuit (movie)

Written By: freeridemt on 08/15/06 at 11:38 pm

the Natural was a good one. I remember that one the most cause it got a lot of play when Kirk Gibson hit his game winning homer off the Eck in the world series. In which the power house Oakland A's got its but kicked by the LA Dodgers...

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/15/06 at 11:59 pm

The wrestling movies Beyond The Mat and The Rise and Fall of ECW. And I don't think the football movie Friday Night Lights was mentioned. I come from one of those southern football-or-death towns so I resemble that one.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/16/06 at 4:08 am

Seabiscuit (movie)

Did you read the book, too?  The book was great, and they had a Seabiscuit documentary on PBS.  I loved all of them.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/16/06 at 4:46 am

Did you read the book, too?  The book was great, and they had a Seabiscuit documentary on PBS.  I loved all of them.

I've read the book, but I prefer the movie honestly.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/06 at 12:29 pm

The wrestling movies Beyond The Mat and The Rise and Fall of ECW. And I don't think the football movie Friday Night Lights was mentioned. I come from one of those southern football-or-death towns so I resemble that one.

Another wrestling movie (fiction) is Visionquest. Good flick.

Cat

Written By: freeridemt on 08/16/06 at 2:45 pm

If they ever make another movie about a horse the best one I think would be Secretariat. Was no contest won the Belmont by 31 lengths. I have all three of the triple crown races that year. The only horse to be counted in SI 50 greatest Athletes.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/16/06 at 4:52 pm

Speaking of horses, "Phar Lap" was a good movie, too.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/16/06 at 8:35 pm

I don't know how I forgot to mention,

"Bang The Drum Slowly" a novel by Mark Harris, turned into an excellent movie.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/17/06 at 6:22 am

I don't know how I forgot to mention,

"Bang The Drum Slowly" a novel by Mark Harris, turned into an excellent movie.

^ Good one

Written By: Abix on 08/18/06 at 6:45 pm

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: Abix on 08/18/06 at 7:07 pm

ok, I'm dating myself, by mentioning some of these movies. Some are only considered "sports" movies marginally, but what the heck...
Here are some of my most memorable ones...
1. Bad News Bears (the original, with Jodie Foster and Walter Matthau...who didn't love this movie??)
2. Caddyshack (Golf)
3. Ice Castles (Figure Skating)
4. All The Right Moves (HS Football)
5. Jerry Maguire
6. Something For Joey (the real life story of Heisman Trophy winner, John Cappeletti's younger brother, who died of Leukemia.. this was a movie of the week back in the mid 70's and I remember crying like a baby)
7. The Champ (Boxing)
8. Raging Bull (Boxing)
9. Rocky (Boxing) (funny, I mention 3 boxing movies , yet I'm not a fan of Boxing..)
10. Brian's Song (the real life story of Chicago Bears' Brian Picollo, another tear jerker)
11. Hoosiers (Gene Hackman..what can I say? My husband still cries when he watches Hoosiers)
12. Pride Of The Yankees (James Stewart does a fine rendition of Lou Gehrig , and Babe Ruth plays himself in this touching movie about the great Iron Horse)
13. Cobb (Tommy Lee Jones plays Ty Cobb, a mean SOB, but worthy of the books, because of his staggering slugging ability)
14. Love and Basketball (one of the only movies that gives credible recognition to the WNBA)
15. Bend It Like Beckham (an Indian girl's struggle to maintain her cultural traditions, and yet have her family recognize their stereotypes of women and athleticism)

One book I'd like to mention  (Sister Morphine, if you don't have it, you should get it or at least check it out from a library)
New York Yankees One Hundred Years - The Official Retrospective.
It has some interesting data on the great Bronx Bombers,  as well as some awesome pictures.
It was printed in 2002 . It's a fascinating book for Yankees fans and baseball fans. 

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/06 at 5:25 pm

I loved the movie "Cobb", but as you say, he wasn't the nicest person, actually he was one of the worst as far as ball players go.  He makes Bonds look like a choir boy.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/06 at 5:33 pm

Just remembered "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton.  It caused a Huge stir when it first came out.  The first real sports "tell all"  talked about the women, drugs, and drinking...and it named names.  He was  persona non grata for many years. 

Written By: whistledog on 08/20/06 at 6:55 pm

Here's a bunch of ones I enjoyed:

<Baseball> Fever Pitch
<Baseball> The Major League Trilogy (though "Back to the Minors" was the weakest)
<Boxing> Gladiator
<Cycling> American Flyers
<Football> All the Right Moves
<Football> Necessary Roughness
<Football> Wildcats
<Golf> Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius
<Golf> Caddyshack I and II (thought the sequel was better)
<Golf> Happy Gilmore
<Hockey> Miracle
<Racing> Stroker Ace
<Skiing> Aspen Extreme
<Skiing> Out Cold
<Tennis> Wimbledon

3 of my all-time favourite sports songs came from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics ...

http://homepage3.nifty.com/hinemosu-soundtrack/review/image/la_olympic.jpg

Reach Out (Track Theme) - Giorgio Moroder and Paul Engemann
A Chance For Heaven (Swimming Theme) - Christopher Cross
Olympia - Sergio Mendes

"Olympia" was not included on the soundtrack

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/06 at 6:25 pm

Breaking Away (cycling)
Oxford Blues (Rowing)

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/22/06 at 12:57 am

One book I'd like to mention  (Sister Morphine, if you don't have it, you should get it or at least check it out from a library)
New York Yankees One Hundred Years - The Official Retrospective.
It has some interesting data on the great Bronx Bombers,  as well as some awesome pictures.
It was printed in 2002 . It's a fascinating book for Yankees fans and baseball fans. 

Oh, I've had that book for a couple of years now.  :)    I love it.  It really is a great read. 

Written By: Abix on 08/25/06 at 8:56 am

Oh, I've had that book for a couple of years now.   :)    I love it.  It really is a great read. 

It makes a great coffee table book and quite the conversation piece.  :)  Another one I have is "All Century Team"  edited by Mark Vancil and Peter Hirdt.  printed in 1999.  It goes back 100 years to pick the best players and form the grand daddy of All star teams. It's another great book for baseball fans.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/30/06 at 12:59 pm

Movies: Field of Dreams, A League of Their Own, Pride of the Yankees and National Velvet (for horse racing :0) What about Boxing? I loved "Somebody Up There Likes Me" with Paul Newman.

Books: For some reason, nothing is coming to mind at the moment. I like generalized stuff, like photo books or coffee table books as I don't think I'm passionate enough to read about a team in a lot of detai (The A's franchise may be a possibility). I may be interested in a biography of a sports great, though - like Dimaggio, Babe Ruth, etc.

Songs: Take me out to the Ball Game  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...