inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best sports dynasty?

Written By: Max Power on 08/09/06 at 9:28 am

Discuss

Subject: Re: Best sports dynasty?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/09/06 at 9:40 am

I voted initially for the Celtics' dynasty because they won 11 championships in 13 years (despite the NBA being a relatively small league back then) and they had some incredible players on those teams including Havlicek and Russell.  However, in retrospect, Lance Armstrong's string of Tour de France victories is very impressive because of the amount of endurance and drive it takes to ride that far through the country and mountains and blah de blah.  So I guess it's a toss up.  Not to discredit the other teams on your list though.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/09/06 at 11:08 am

Where are the Yankees of the 90s?  Those teams were rather good.

Written By: Tam on 08/09/06 at 11:47 am

I chose Montreal.
IMO no other team performs like they used to back in the day.
My second choice would be other: The Lakers, even though I truly cannot stand them - they were the team in the 80's!

Written By: freeridemt on 08/09/06 at 12:28 pm

Me thinks you should have broken the Yankees up in era's. The Ruth Era for example then Jolten Joe's. Then in the 50's alone where the Yanks won 5 WS in a row. During the Mantle days. Then Yanks in the 70's  Reggie's team. Then the 90's. Just my opinion of course.  As for Basketball the Celts of the 60s is the most impressive one they won 8 in a row. The Celts of the 70's where not that good they only won a few during that  decade. The 80's Celts, The 80's Laker's and the Bulls with Jordon. In hockey you have way to many era's to work with. The 50's and 60's  With the Rocket Richard.  Then the early 70's where one lone single defence man changed the way the game was played. Robert Orr. And you can't leave out the Oilers too. Just my opinion.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/09/06 at 12:30 pm

Where are the Chicago Bulls of the '90s?  Were you just pulling names out of a hat?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/09/06 at 12:54 pm

As for Basketball the Celts of the 60s is the most impressive one they won 8 in a row. The Celts of the 70's where not that good they only won a few during that  decade. The 80's Celts, The 80's Laker's and the Bulls with Jordon. In hockey you have way to many era's to work with. The 50's and 60's  With the Rocket Richard.  Then the early 70's where one lone single defence man changed the way the game was played. Robert Orr. And you can't leave out the Oilers too. Just my opinion.

I think that it's impressive that the Montreal Canadiens were so dominant for so long (24 Cups!) but they only played in a league of six...but then again, the talent was so concentrated in those six teams that to win so much is still impressive and you can't take away from those guys.  The Oilers deserve credit because they had to deal with an incredible Islanders team, a powerful Calgary team, and the Canadiens and Bruins.  With hockey's CBA revamped these days, it seemed to increase parity and competition and as such, we saw six different Cup champions in seven years and the rules changes and such allowed a team from Carolina to win it all (not that I mind, I used to live there).  So you also have to look at the sustained success of teams like Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey in always fielding a team that can go all the way.

The Jordan Bulls (6 championships in 8 years) deserve notice, for sure. 

Written By: freeridemt on 08/09/06 at 3:05 pm

One Team I did leave out for basketball was the Laker's of the 60's and early 70's, In the NBA finals they faced the Celts more then any other team. I could not leave out The Big O, Oscar Robertson  or Jerry West they where an incredible team as well.

Written By: freeridemt on 08/09/06 at 3:30 pm

Hey can we count collage teams?
I only say that for the UCLA basketball team
UCLA's basketball program has the international reputation of being No. 1. There is a major reason for that his name is John Robert Wooden, who announced his retirement after the 1974-75 season (his 27th campaign) as the Bruins' head coach with the winningest record in all of the sport's history. Wooden celebrated his 92nd birthday on Oct. 14, 2002.
Wooden concluded his 40 years as a head coach that season and his 885-203 overall career win-loss record (a percentage of .813) is unequaled. A large part of that success was at UCLA. In 27 years as Bruin coach, his teams registered 620 wins, and only 147 losses while earning far more national honors than any other university. Under Wooden, UCLA won an unprecedented 10 NCAA championships, including seven consecutive (1966-73). Included in the string is one of the most amazing win streaks in all of sports, 38 straight NCAA tournament victories. In addition, there is the all-time NCAA consecutive winning-streak record of 88 games over four seasons, which included consecutive 30-0 seasons in 1971-72 and 1972-73. UCLA also won 149 of 151 games in Pauley Pavilion during his Bruin tenure.

Written By: Sean1983 on 08/11/06 at 3:37 am

I voted Islanders on this one.  I'm a little biased, being a fan and all.

Written By: holicman on 08/11/06 at 10:06 am

Liverpool FC's Dynasty from 1959 to 1978.

In English football they travelled from the 2nd division to the heights of European success by winning the European cup.

They had won many league and cup titles during this time, and to this day, no team has surpassed their feats.

Ian Callaghan became the only player at Liverpool to travel from the 2nd division to the heights of Europe, between 1959 and 1978.

He played 848 matches, an all time Liverpool record.

This is the only dynasty that matters............

Written By: danootaandme on 08/16/06 at 4:55 pm

I voted for Tiger because he is sooooo gooood loooookin"  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/22/06 at 6:39 pm

Other: The Colts dynasty of the 2000s that never happened. Let's hope at least they'll win SB XLI (at least I hope they win it ;) )

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/30/06 at 2:27 pm

I chose the current run of Tiger Woods. He really is great!

Also, the A's franchise in the 70's was awesome as was the 49ers in the 80's/early '90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...