inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Julio Franco

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/23/06 at 8:08 pm

Me and Julio down by the ballpark...

:D

Subject: Re: Julio Franco

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 8:09 pm

Okay?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/24/06 at 1:27 am

We're not worthy!
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mz6Re1EFi4AqyKjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12e9jdb36/EXP=1156487034/**http%3a//www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/2699notworthy.jpg
I admire an old guy like Julio still banging home runs at the age of 48. Good for him, and a good inspiration for some of us old dudes to stay in shape.  8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/24/06 at 11:16 am

For realz.  Rickey Henderson is still in the minors doing his ego trip, but Julio is actually still playing with the big boys.  Can you imagine a 20-something pitcher, all ashamed because some guy his father's age just belted one 450 feet off of him?  :D

Written By: nally on 08/31/06 at 7:09 pm

For realz.  Rickey Henderson is still in the minors doing his ego trip....

Really? I thought Rickety Henderson had retired. :o (For the record, he's gonna be 48 on Christmas Day this year.) He had a brief stint with the Dodgers back in 2003, and I hadn't heard anything more about him after that, so I assumed he retired...but apparently that hasn't happened yet?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/31/06 at 7:34 pm

Really? I thought Rickety Henderson had retired. :o (For the record, he's gonna be 48 on Christmas Day this year.) He had a brief stint with the Dodgers back in 2003, and I hadn't heard anything more about him after that, so I assumed he retired...but apparently that hasn't happened yet?

Last I heard he was in the minor leagues, not sure which organization's though.

Written By: nally on 09/10/06 at 4:13 pm

So JF is with the New York Mets...as I found out earlier today as the Dodgers were finishing up a series with them. Wow...48 and still showing no signs of age...that's impressive. :o

Written By: La Roche on 09/10/06 at 4:43 pm

I would be willing to bet he's over 50 ya know.

Written By: nally on 09/10/06 at 5:05 pm

Last I heard he was in the minor leagues, not sure which organizations though.

When was this?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/11/06 at 9:30 am

When was this?

Last I heard, Rickey was being Rickey in the minors as of last year, not sure where.

Written By: nally on 09/11/06 at 11:35 am

Last I heard, Rickey was being Rickey in the minors as of last year, not sure where.

Here's what I found out on Answers.com about Rickety Henderson:

Henderson's last major league game to date occurred on September 19, 2003; he was hit by a pitch in his only plate appearance, and came around to score his 2,295th run. Though it is increasingly unlikely that Rickey Henderson will return to major league action, his status continues to confound.

Henderson has yet to officially retire from professional baseball. (Thought so.) After leaving the Dodgers, Henderson started his second consecutive season with the Newark Bears in the spring of 2004. On May 9, 2005, Rickey signed with the San Diego Surf Dawgs of the Golden Baseball League, a Class-A independent league. This was the SurfDawgs and the Golden Baseball League's inaugural season and Henderson helped the SurfDawgs to the league championship.

Henderson was quoted in May of 2005, still insisting that he is capable of playing in the major leagues. It was reported by NBC and ESPN that Henderson had announced his much-delayed official retirement on December 6, 2005, but this was denied by his agent the following day. On February 10, 2006, Henderson accepted a position as a hitting instructor for the New York Mets. He has left the door open to returning as a player. On July 2, 2006, Henderson revealed that he had been offered the chance to rejoin the San Diego Surf Dawgs as a player for the 2006 season, which would have been his 31st in professional baseball, but decided he'd had enough. But six weeks later, on August 11, Henderson claimed "It's sort of weird not to be playing, but I decided to take a year off," adding, "I can't say I will retire. My heart is still in it... I still love the game right now, so I'm going to wait it out and see what happens."

Check for new replies or respond here...