inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: USA Basketball

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/29/06 at 3:03 pm

I know a lot of you probably catch glancing clips of the team playing in Asia right now, but Team USA actually has a more-than-great shot at winning the World Championship this year, and fans are actually supporting them on foreign soil.  The team concept and coaching is paying off.  I think they'll face some serious competition from Brazil, Argentina or Spain, but it's hard not to root for such a fundamentally sound team.

Subject: Re: USA Basketball

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/01/06 at 8:49 am

The USA got Hellas owned last night, losing to Greece.  I am actually not too surprised because non-American teams usually have some extremely good shooters, and the mid-range jumper and free-throw shooting seem to be a lost art in the USA these days.  I imagine the USA can still get the bronze and will retool their lineup from the 24-man roster to get some better shooters in the Olympic lineup (assuming they qualify, which they should).  Greece was awesome though, good on them ;)

Written By: nupur on 09/01/06 at 1:46 pm

i was really disappointed that USA lost, but what can you do about it? i feel like a lot of people are getting down on the team, saying that the rest of the world has caught up to US basketball, but the truth is that we really only lost one game out of all we have played. let's just hope that we can win the bronze. i mean, it's better than nothing. 8)

also..just a note on the team..

i think they should have kept bruce bowen on the team. they needed him as a veteran and 3-point shooter. i'm glad gilbert arenas got cut, though. he is my least favorite player in the nba mostly because he is really conceited and thinks he is the best player in the world. i also think he has somethin against my team - the CELTICS ;D

*paul pierce better make this USA team  :)*

Written By: loki 13 on 09/02/06 at 11:58 am

I would like to see the USA win but I'm not surprised they didn't. The US team is so arrogant that they
think they can win on talent alone. The US team is made up by a bunch of guys playing for themselves,
whereas the rest of the world is a bunch of guys playing for each other. It's been proven over the years
that team play is what it takes to win. I am not convinced that any world team is better than the US, but
until they can learn to put their egos and millions of dollars of endorsment deals on the back burner and
play as a team they are destined to be also rans.

Written By: nupur on 09/02/06 at 12:05 pm

It might seem like all these guys are only playing for themselves, and maybe they are, but you have to look at the bigger picture. i believe this USA team was created not to win now. this team was made with a bunch of star young players becuase in four years we hope they'll be ready to play in the olympics and win gold. then, they'll be four years older and that much more experienced. i consider FIBA like practice for the bigger prize (and i'm probably the only one that's thinking this way).

Written By: loki 13 on 09/02/06 at 12:14 pm

It might seem like all these guys are only playing for themselves, and maybe they are, but you have to look at the bigger picture. i believe this USA team was created not to win now. this team was made with a bunch of star young players becuase in four years we hope they'll be ready to play in the olympics and win gold. then, they'll be four years older and that much more experienced. i consider FIBA like practice for the bigger prize (and i'm probably the only one that's thinking this way).

I understand your thinking, but by losing they now have to play their way into the Olympics. The other
teams will also be four years older and more experienced, especially since they have been playing as a team
in this tournament. It will make it that much harder, considering the other teams will be gunning for the US.

Written By: nupur on 09/02/06 at 12:27 pm

I understand your thinking, but by losing they now have to play their way into the Olympics. The other
teams will also be four years older and more experienced, especially since they have been playing as a team
in this tournament. It will make it that much harder, considering the other teams will be gunning for the US.

you have a good point there.

in any case, i feel like we need to improve our defense. since we put up points so easily, we don't always need to play the best of defense against every team. also, since we don't have that many outside shooters, most of our guys end up penetrating and getting a lot of turnovers. european play is pretty different compared to NBA style, which is somewhat of a factor for our trouble, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/02/06 at 12:46 pm

you have a good point there.

in any case, i feel like we need to improve our defense. since we put up points so easily, we don't always need to play the best of defense against every team. also, since we don't have that many outside shooters, most of our guys end up penetrating and getting a lot of turnovers. european play is pretty different compared to NBA style, which is somewhat of a factor for our trouble, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

Agreed, but for some reason defense has been the forgotten art in the NBA. Ever since Denver began
playing that "run and gun" offense in the 80's, other teams began to play the same style. Forgo defense
and put up as many points as possible is the way of the new NBA. Larry Brown, who I don't like, is the last
of a dying breed. He stressed defensive play. Until the NBA coaches stress defense, the NBA players will be
no match for the rest of the world.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/02/06 at 9:48 pm

The defense was adequate against the lesser teams because of the USA's athleticism and pressure, but they could not adjust against the pick and roll for some reason.  The pick and roll is a very good fundamental play but it can be stopped.  I also think that if the Americans had worked on their midrange jumpers and free throw shooting, they would have won.  They beat a VERY good Argentina team for the bronze.  They probably would have stood an excellent chance against Spain too.

Oh well.  They will have no problem qualifying for the Olympics, and the commitment the players on the roster thus far have shown is nothing to be disappointed about :)  The US may not get gold again for a bit, but they'll get there again.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/07/06 at 11:52 am

An interesting proposal

Might actually work :o

Written By: nupur on 09/07/06 at 1:07 pm

that's (surprisingly) a really interesting idea, but i doubt if it would actually work. i mean, eventually, wouldn't these guys would realize that what they're doing is worth more than what they're getting paid? if anything, they'd say, " i could get paid more if i were in the NBA," then they'd decide that the only way they could make it to the NBA would be to get noticed as an individual rather than as a piece of a team, and then we'd be back where we are now. of course, i'm thinking this through way too hard, because i don't even think Chuck Klosterman was serious about his own plan.

Check for new replies or respond here...