inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: College football

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/06 at 8:23 pm

My Huskers beat Louisiana Tech 49-10. I didn't get to see the game but everyone I talked to said they looked pretty impressive, and that Nebraska's West Coast offense scheme seems to finally be coming together.

If there's one thing I hate about my job, it's that I have to work on Saturdays and I can't watch any college ball. I guess I'll have to go out and get a Tivo.

Subject: Re: College football

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/06 at 9:24 pm

OMG! I've been watching the Florida State-Miami game, and there's a player for Florida State whose last name is "Fagg."

That guy's probably meaner than Dick Butkus.  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 09/05/06 at 7:39 pm

My wife is a huge Nebraska fan, I, on the other hand, am a Penn State fan. This Saturday will be a
big test for the Nittany Lions. The Fighting Irish didn't look too good against Georgia Tech so hopefully
The Nits can get the job done.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/06/06 at 11:28 am

Perhaps Al should bring a radio to work so he can listen to the games?  :D

I have no preferences in college football.  I guess I'll root for me alma mater (California) but all I really want to see is some good football 8)

Written By: freeridemt on 09/07/06 at 8:05 am

Two really good games to see this weekend
Ohio State(1) vs Texas(2)
ND vs Penn State.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/09/06 at 9:50 pm

CA >> MN

:D

Seems Ohio State is pushing Texas around a bit...some darn good plays, even though the score doesn't reflect it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/14/06 at 3:13 pm

Perhaps Al should bring a radio to work so he can listen to the games?  :D
Believe me, I would, but I live down in Kansas City and they're all a bunch of Husker haters down here, so all the local stations broadcast the Mizzou and KU and K-State games, but no Nebraska.

I have no preferences in college football.  I guess I'll root for me alma mater (California) but all I really want to see is some good football 8)
Nebraska plays USC this week, I hate to say it but I think we're gonna get stomped. Then again, you never know.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/14/06 at 7:55 pm

Go Huskers!  Down with USC!  :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/14/06 at 9:42 pm

I don't follow college football because I don't like football, but you can't tear my sister away from the screen when the Fightin' Irish or the Georgia Bulldogs are on TV.  She even wants to paint her room red and black. 

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/15/06 at 12:24 am

8) I am a HUGE TN VOLS fan...this weekend, THE game...TN.  VS.  FLA.            GOOOOOOOOO VOLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/16/06 at 1:02 am

8) I am a HUGE TN VOLS fan...this weekend, THE game...TN.  VS.  FLA.             GOOOOOOOOO VOLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm down with the Vols.  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/16/06 at 9:05 am

I am not a fan of football either...but in our house...it is Pitt all the way.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/16/06 at 10:18 am

The reason I enjoy College Football is because you can quite a few "Favorite" teams. The teams I follow
and their order are.

1..Penn State
2..Tennessee
3..Michigan State
4..Hawaii
5..Oregon

If any of these teams play each other I will pull for the team with the higher ranking.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/16/06 at 2:48 pm

^ Hawaii?  :D  They're actually pretty good for a relatively obscure part of the country...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/18/06 at 12:54 am

USC beat Nebraska 28-10. I wasn't expecting the Huskers to pull off the upset, although we hung with the Trojans for most of the game. I thought Nebraska's playcalling was terrible and it seemed to me like the coach was just trying to run the clock out to avoid a blowout rather than making more aggressive plays and actually trying to win the game.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/18/06 at 5:40 am

The reason I enjoy College Football is because you can quite a few "Favorite" teams. The teams I follow
and their order are.

1..Penn State
2..Tennessee
3..Michigan State
4..Hawaii
5..Oregon

If any of these teams play each other I will pull for the team with the higher ranking.
  I LOVE The VOLS... >:( BOY was I upset this weekend...I almost trew up..I think my husband did....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/28/06 at 7:07 pm

#3 USC upset by some Beavers

U$C 1s t3h suxxorz!!!1!!!!!1!1!!1!trojanman!11!1

Written By: Brian06 on 10/28/06 at 7:25 pm

Another win for the Buckeyes. Go Bucks!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/02/06 at 3:33 pm

(#&*%(*&#%(*#&%#(*&% Stanfurd :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/02/06 at 5:20 pm

Cal > Stanfurd...barely.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/02/06 at 5:54 pm

Cal > Stanfurd trombones

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/02/06 at 6:44 pm

OMG UCLA > USC!  :o

Written By: nally on 12/02/06 at 6:48 pm

OMG UCLA > USC!  :o

Whenever they play each other I'm not sure which one to root for. Why? Because they're both local to me.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/02/06 at 6:49 pm

USC is the devil.  Root for the baby bears.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/03/06 at 3:19 am

Nebraska lost the Big 12 Championship to Oklahoma, 21-7. Now please excuse me while I beat my head against the wall over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/04/06 at 12:13 pm

So...how about OSU vs. Florida eh?  Michigan must be pleased :D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/01/07 at 7:30 pm

Had it tough today, my two favorite teams were playing each other. Penn State and Tennessee.
Penn State won 20-10. I have to say, I was pulling for the Nittany Lions but wouldn't have been
upset if the Vols won.

Written By: nally on 01/01/07 at 11:33 pm

I was at a friend's house today for a housewarming party, so I got to see the Rose Bowl game (UCLA vs Michigan). It was tied at 3-3 for quite a while, but it wasn't until the 3rd quarter when USC started to come alive. They ended up winning, 32-18. O0

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/02/07 at 12:01 am

Holy crap!

:o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/02/07 at 12:46 am

Holy crap!

That game was awesome. We'll be seeing that one on ESPN Classic for years to come.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/03/07 at 10:41 am

Holy crap!

That game was awesome. We'll be seeing that one on ESPN Classic for years to come.

I tell ya, almost nobody was more happy at the victory then I was.

I grew up in Boise, and BSU football was king there.  I even worked selling concessions in the stadium from 1979-1981.  I would spend many evenings walking the stands with trays of hotdogs and sodas (or as I said it: appetizers and mixers) in my blue jacket.  I was even there the game where they beat the Idaho State Vandals 65-7.

When I moved here to Alabama in 2003, one of the first things my boss asked me is if was for Auburn or Alabama State.  Since this is the "Deep South", it was just assumed that I had to root for one or the other.  But I stood my ground, and said I was for Boise State.  "Who?" was of course the usual response.

Normally, prompting them that BSU played on the Blue Astroturf was enough to at least remind them that there was a team that played on a blue field, even if they never remembered (or cared) for who that was.  Of course, most know of it as the "Smurf Turf", or as us locals called it, "The Tidy Bowl".  But us Bronco fans, we love our blue turf, and we have long hoped that we could see our team in a serious conference, like the Pac-10.

Instead, they get shuffled between minor conferences, that nobody ever heard of.  Big Sky, Big West, and the Western Athletic Conference.  So they are stuck playing teams like UC Fresno, UC Riverside, and Louisiana Tech (how that team is in the "Western Athletic Conference" just shows how bad things are: WAC is mostly a conference for cast-off schools that can't get into a serious conference for one reason or another).

In fact, in 1997 they got tired of getting snubbed for bowl games, and founded the "Humanitarian Bowl" (now the "MPC Bowl"), just to give the underdogs a chance to play in a bowl game.  And because they tend to dominate "non-BCS football", they end up playing in the games most of the time.  In 10 years, they have played in 4 of them (they turned down the chance 2 years ago because they were invited to play in their first outside bowl game, the Liberty Bowl).  And in those 4 games, they won 3 of them.

When I got back to work on Tuesday, I spent 10 minutes telling my boss about the Fiesta Bowl, and how my BSU Broncos played against Oaklahoma State.  And even 2 days later, it is the talk of ESPN, Fox Sports, and every Sports Newspaper writer in the country.  Everybody goes on every year about the Rose Bowl.  But if you go to Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, or the ESPN website, you will see the headline articles are still about BSU.  The "mid-Major School", that pulled off an unheard of upset against a major College Football team.

And next year, when the Auburn-Alabama game comes up, and people ask me who I am rooting for, I can say "BSU", and they will not all go "BS  Who?"  Because after this year, everybody knows who BSU is.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/03/07 at 11:35 am

Even last year, everyone knew who BSU is.  They got killed in the bowl game but nobody could say that the team wasn't any good.

Fresno is actually a Cal State school btw :)  I thought the blue turf was tacky but unique...personality is good for any football team.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/07 at 2:11 pm

I tell ya, almost nobody was more happy at the victory then I was.

I grew up in Boise, and BSU football was king there.  I even worked selling concessions in the stadium from 1979-1981.  I would spend many evenings walking the stands with trays of hotdogs and sodas (or as I said it: appetizers and mixers) in my blue jacket.  I was even there the game where they beat the Idaho State Vandals 65-7.
I actually have an uncle who is a dean at Boise State University, so I had a particular interest in pulling for BSU. (BTW, I've been to Boise several times and think it's a really cool town.) I e-mailed him the next day and he said yes, he was at the game and said it was awesome.
  Myself? I think it was one of the greatest college football games I've ever seen. No one really knew what to expect from this game, and right from the get-go BSU came at them with everything they had.  Granted, they had a 28-10 lead at the beginning of the 4th quarter and they blew it, and when (BSU QB Jared) Zabransky threw that interception (which OU ran back for a TD) with a minute left in the game I thought for sure it was over. But they kept their composure and pulled the thing off with some of the most thrilling football I've ever seen. (Hook-and-ladder? The Statue Of Liberty play? How awesome was that?)
  It was a great day, not just for Boise State but for college football overall. I don't think that those hacks from the BCS even wanted BSU to be there in the first place, and this game just offered more evidence as to how flawed and arbitary the so-called Bowl Championship Series really is. (Can we get a freakin' playoff system for NCAA Division I football already?!?  >:() After the game, Zabransky told the reporters that he felt that they deserved a shot against Ohio State, and I agree.
  Props to the Boise State Broncos, and if anything they at least deserve to crack the top 5.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/05/07 at 2:16 pm

Why there will not be playoffs in Div I-A until this man is eliminated...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/09/07 at 11:56 pm

So...

Florida a lot, Ohio State not so much

Enjoy :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/09/07 at 11:57 pm

That was f*cking pathetic and disgraceful.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/10/07 at 1:16 am

Michigan probably would have lost too :P

Written By: Mushroom on 01/13/07 at 10:41 am

It was a great day, not just for Boise State but for college football overall. I don't think that those hacks from the BCS even wanted BSU to be there in the first place, and this game just offered more evidence as to how flawed and arbitary the so-called Bowl Championship Series really is. (Can we get a freakin' playoff system for NCAA Division I football already?!?  >:() After the game, Zabransky told the reporters that he felt that they deserved a shot against Ohio State, and I agree.
   Props to the Boise State Broncos, and if anything they at least deserve to crack the top 5.

Myself, I think the entire NCAA system needs to be reworked.  Change the system so that 1-A, 2-A, and 3-A schools are placed by skill of players.  Then reconfigure all of the various conferences by geographical area (like it is in major league sports).  Then you have 2-4 different "Conferences", all based on geographical location, and not by wether a conference wants to let them in or not.

Then you can have an "end season" like the NFL has.  Wrap it all up with a "College Superbowl".  This lets all the teams play on an equal footing, reguardless of them being a "Rich School" like UCLA, or a "poor school" like BSU.  Most of us who root for BSU are still amazed that when they advanced to 1-A status, the Pac-10 allowed in all of their teams except football.  Wrestling, baseball, even Basketball is played with the Pac-10.  But BSU football is stuck with the WAC, because nobody else would let them in their conference.

But nobody from BSU expects much from their Basketball program, because it is not a basketball town.  And nobody cares about college baseball or wrestling.  About the only college sport woth watching is Football.

My boss is watching the game as I write this (I downloaded a copy for him), and even he is amazed.  He now sees why I have always loved BSU, and he is a die-hard Auburn fan.  I have had a little fun this week, ribbing him on the fact that my Broncos are ranked higher in the year-end polls then Auburn is.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/13/07 at 2:17 pm

Myself, I think the entire NCAA system needs to be reworked.  Change the system so that 1-A, 2-A, and 3-A schools are placed by skill of players.  Then reconfigure all of the various conferences by geographical area (like it is in major league sports).  Then you have 2-4 different "Conferences", all based on geographical location, and not by wether a conference wants to let them in or not.

Then you can have an "end season" like the NFL has.  Wrap it all up with a "College Superbowl".  This lets all the teams play on an equal footing, reguardless of them being a "Rich School" like UCLA, or a "poor school" like BSU.  Most of us who root for BSU are still amazed that when they advanced to 1-A status, the Pac-10 allowed in all of their teams except football.  Wrestling, baseball, even Basketball is played with the Pac-10.  But BSU football is stuck with the WAC, because nobody else would let them in their conference.

But nobody from BSU expects much from their Basketball program, because it is not a basketball town.  And nobody cares about college baseball or wrestling.  About the only college sport woth watching is Football.

My boss is watching the game as I write this (I downloaded a copy for him), and even he is amazed.  He now sees why I have always loved BSU, and he is a die-hard Auburn fan.  I have had a little fun this week, ribbing him on the fact that my Broncos are ranked higher in the year-end polls then Auburn is.

Hey Mush,

The NCAA is essentially already set up by skill level, in that primarily Division I schools have athletic scholarships and the Divisions II and III are composed of lower skilled athletes because Division I snatched up all the good ones and gave them SUVs.

I would like to see a reworking of the conferences but you would need to either expand the already considered "long" regular season to accommodate all possible matchups inside that conference, or allow some kind of selection committee as with NCAA basketball to seed the tournament field.  Neither of these are going to happen because the "haves" don't want to abandon the bowl system and thus lose their kajillions in bowl $$.

However, with what Boise State has accomplished this year, even though they had no shot to get to the championship game, they lit a fire under somebody's butt and now there will be a bigger push to ensure that in future years, everybody has a shot. 

Written By: Mushroom on 01/16/07 at 3:56 pm

Hey Mush,

The NCAA is essentially already set up by skill level, in that primarily Division I schools have athletic scholarships and the Divisions II and III are composed of lower skilled athletes because Division I snatched up all the good ones and gave them SUVs.

Not really.

The difference in "Division" is more an aspect of how much a school is winning to pay for it's sports program being part of the NCAA.  Division III is the cheapest to join, with II and I costing substantially more to join.

And even in the Division, it is fragmented into various "Conferences".  Then you have Division I schools like Notra Dame, which belongs to no conference.  Yet it is still frequently in "Bowl Games".

I want to see a scrapping of the current "Conference" system, and have it replaced with a more equitable "Regional" system.  This lets every team in a Division participate equally, reguardless if they are BSU or USC.  BSU moved from Division II to Division I in 1999, and in their first season were Conference Champs.  In fact, during their 8 year history of being a member of Division I, they have been Conference Champs 6 times.

But because of the weekness of the conference, they (and other schools in similar conferences) are never taken seriously.  Then you have the issue of schools (like BSU) which are in "Split Conferences".  The Big 10 allws in some of the sports (Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, etc), yet excludes them from participating in the "Big Money" sports (Football).

Myself, I say restructure it and do away with all conferences.  Have 3-4 regional "Conferences", and treat all the colleges in the same Division equally.  You will have some schools that would probably voluntarily back down a Division (like Fresno State), so they can participate more equally with the calibur of their teams.

After all, you do not see this in any of the Professional Sports leagues.  The Yankees have the same chance as the Mariners and the Marlins to play in the World Series.  And the same goes in Basketbell, Hockey, Soccer, and Football.  So why should College sports be treated differently?

"Oh, we are all in the same Division.  But we do not think you are good enough, so we won't allow you to play with us."

Even if BSU had slaughtered OSU 60-10, they would still have placed no more then 4th place.  Of course, then people would just be saying "Oh, OSU had an off night, so that does not count."  And if not for one fluke, the game probably would have ended with BSU up by 14 points.  That is no fluke.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/16/07 at 8:12 pm

Not really.

The difference in "Division" is more an aspect of how much a school is winning to pay for it's sports program being part of the NCAA.  Division III is the cheapest to join, with II and I costing substantially more to join.

I think that is essentially true, but you may notice that the more money an institution has, the more superior athletes they are able to recruit, which means that what I stated isn't entirely false -- Division I has the best athletes :)

I want to see a scrapping of the current "Conference" system, and have it replaced with a more equitable "Regional" system.  This lets every team in a Division participate equally, reguardless if they are BSU or USC.  BSU moved from Division II to Division I in 1999, and in their first season were Conference Champs.  In fact, during their 8 year history of being a member of Division I, they have been Conference Champs 6 times.

But because of the weekness of the conference, they (and other schools in similar conferences) are never taken seriously.  Then you have the issue of schools (like BSU) which are in "Split Conferences".  The Big 10 allws in some of the sports (Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, etc), yet excludes them from participating in the "Big Money" sports (Football).

Myself, I say restructure it and do away with all conferences.  Have 3-4 regional "Conferences", and treat all the colleges in the same Division equally.  You will have some schools that would probably voluntarily back down a Division (like Fresno State), so they can participate more equally with the calibur of their teams.

After all, you do not see this in any of the Professional Sports leagues.  The Yankees have the same chance as the Mariners and the Marlins to play in the World Series.  And the same goes in Basketbell, Hockey, Soccer, and Football.  So why should College sports be treated differently?

Won't happen.  Too much money at stake :D  Which is why I posted the article, basically the major obstacle to the playoff system is that certain "power" conferences will lose a crapload of money because it would be redistributed much more evenly in a playoff than in bowls.  I think one sportswriter suggested that they keep the five current BCS bowls, but in a playoff system such that the top 10 teams by peer/computer ranking will compete, with the top two teams getting "bye" weeks to prepare for whoever makes it out of the round robin.  The other non-BCS bowls can still be played in a manner similar to basketball's NIT.  This system probably works the best because rankings are still taken into account and you reduce the amount of time required to play through the entire bracket.

"Oh, we are all in the same Division.  But we do not think you are good enough, so we won't allow you to play with us."

Even if BSU had slaughtered OSU 60-10, they would still have placed no more then 4th place.  Of course, then people would just be saying "Oh, OSU had an off night, so that does not count."  And if not for one fluke, the game probably would have ended with BSU up by 14 points.  That is no fluke.

BSU did give Oklahoma a ride :)  Considering how crappy Ohio State played against Florida, which also used tons of trick plays, I wouldn't have been surprised if BSU beat down on them too.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/07 at 10:17 am

I think one sportswriter suggested that they keep the five current BCS bowls, but in a playoff system such that the top 10 teams by peer/computer ranking will compete, with the top two teams getting "bye" weeks to prepare for whoever makes it out of the round robin.  The other non-BCS bowls can still be played in a manner similar to basketball's NIT.  This system probably works the best because rankings are still taken into account and you reduce the amount of time required to play through the entire bracket.

That is not much different then the way it is done now.  And it is horrible.

Since 1998 when the new "Non-BCS" system went into effect, we have had 4 teams go undefeated, but it did not count because they were "Non-BCS" schools (Tulane in 1998, Marshall in 1999, Utah in 2004, and Boise State in 2004 and 2006).  And of all of those, only 2 ever went on to play any kind of Bowl Game (Utah in 2004 and BSU in 2007).

And the result?  BSU is the only undefeated team the last season, yet is placed 6th in most polls.  Could you imagine the California Angels winning 75% of their games, only to be told at the end of the year that they belong to a weak league, so are not allowed to participate in the World Series?  Or telling a team that is top in it's NFL Conference that it can't participate in the Super Bowl or it's playoffs, because it was playing garbage teams like the Tennessee Titans or Houston Oilers.

Instead we have a system that has a team ranked 13-0 come in 5th place, while schools that went 11-2 come in 3rd and 4th.  And no matter how good a "Non-BCS" school is, it can never place above 3rd.  Even if the teams going to the BCS Bowl have 10-3 records (or worse), a Non-BCS school with a 13-0 record will still not place above 3rd no matter what.  Because the best a Non-BCS team can ever do is the Fiesta Bowl.

And if people think this year is a fluke, wait and see what happens in the future.  Ian Johnson is only a Sophomore, and has already stated that he will not even think of allowing his name to enter the NFL draft until after he graduates (in 2009).

My sincere hope is that next year, both Non-BCS slots are filled by Non-BCS schools.  And that no matter who the teams are, they blow away their BCS competitors.  Maybe that will finally make people start to pay attention.

Or schools will look at Notre Dame, and follow their example by leaving the conference system and trying to enter on merit under their own schedule. 

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/22/07 at 6:50 pm

I was very disappointed that Florida won another National title, but I didn't like Ohio State either. Louisville should have been ranked higher, but Wake Forest was a total mismatch. Let's hope that Michigan can squeak by USC next year (although I'd rather see another non-BCS team win it all.)

Written By: Mushroom on 02/07/07 at 8:16 am

Let's hope that Michigan can squeak by USC next year (although I'd rather see another non-BCS team win it all.)

That can't happen.  The way the BCS is set up, the best a non-BCS can ever do is play in the Fiesta Bowl.  If you are not in a BCS Conference, you can't play for the championship.  Period.

And since the top 2 places are reserved for the winner and looser of the BCS Bowl Game, the absolute best a non-BCS team can place is 3rd.  In fact, a lot of people were upset that BSU rated as high as 6th place.

Now think about that.  The only undefeated Division 1 school.  They had a perfect record, and won their Bowl Game in overtime against a team that was a 13 point favorite.  And some people think they were ranked to high at 6th.

Even if a non-BCS school won every game by 14+ points, went undefeated, and blew away USC in a Bowl Game, I can't see them getting ranked any higher then 5th.  In fact, above this years 6th place winner (13-0), you have teams with 12-1 and even 11-2 records.

And as long as we have these arbitrary conferences, that will never change.  BCS does not want any more schools, because they do not want the competition.  They are so used to having $15 million plus football programs, and they want nothing to interfere with that.

Myself, I want to see it all broken open, and see a fully open and fair system for all colleges in the same conference.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/02/07 at 2:05 am

Holy crap! (Part deux):

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272440130

Gotta love it.

Also, Nebraska beat Nevada 52-10.  :)

Written By: La Roche on 09/02/07 at 12:45 pm

Holy crap! (Part deux):

Gotta love it.

You have no idea how happy that made me. I get so sick of the intense love fest with Ohio State and Michigan. People! THEY'RE NOT THAT GOOD! I can't stand USC either but they're so far superior to both Ohio and Michigan.

Missouri beat up on Illinois in the first half, then bought on a bunch of for the third and fourth quarters and still won. Their defensive is a bit suspect but they should be able to shore it up and the offense is strong enough that they can probably blow enough teams out in the third and fourth when the other teams defense is getting tired.

Miami won which is always nice to see, love those criminal bastards.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/02/07 at 9:29 pm

How about Michigan getting beat, I think it was the first time a top ten ranked team was beaten by
a Division 1-AA team.

On a related note, Appalachian State was ranked #1 in the Division 1-AA polls and has won back to back
titles so they're not that bad of a football team, but Michigan should be a little embarrassed getting beat by them.

Written By: Wolveroses on 09/08/07 at 5:10 pm

How about Michigan getting beat, I think it was the first time a top ten ranked team was beaten by
a Division 1-AA team.

On a related note, Appalachian State was ranked #1 in the Division 1-AA polls and has won back to back
titles so there not that bad of a football team, but Michigan should be a little embarrassed getting beat by them.

how embarrassing part 2, where's the D?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/10/07 at 6:16 pm

Nebraska squeaked by Wake Forest 20-17. It wasn't pretty but a win's a win.

We've got USC in Lincoln this Saturday, I'm going with a couple friends. After this last game I'm feeling a little uneasy but anything can happen. If the Huskers can somehow pull this off Lincoln is gonna go absolutely apesheesh.

(Wolveroses: Not to rub salt in your wounds but I have the feeling that the whole state of Michigan wants Lloyd Carr's head on a silver platter right about now.)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/24/07 at 1:09 am

(I posted this on my Myspace blog, it's how I totally PWNED a Husker Hater at work the other day.)

So I get to work yesterday at about 3:30 and I'm rather pissed because I'd just heard about Nebraska's close call with Ball State. (41-40? What a crock of sh*t.) I go down into the break room and sit at my usual table with my friends when this guy sitting the next table over says, "So, I hear Nebraska lost to Ball State today." I said, "No, we won, but barely, don't get me started." So he starts taunting me about it ("Ball State? Who are they?" etc.) and I was in no mood for it, especially since I'm so disgusted with the current sorry state of Nebraska football.

Now, being a Husker fan living in Kansas City I expect people to give me some sh*t (and I'm totally dreading the Mizzou game BTW) but this guy was being a complete dick about it. He just kept going on and on and he wouldn't quit.

I got to the point where I was like, "Screw this, I'm going outside for a smoke" because I didn't want to hear it. And as I was walking towards the exit he was still going on and on in front of everyone (there were like 20-30 people in the break room). I was just about outside the room when I heard him say, "So, what suburb is Ball State from, anyway?" I turned around and shot back, "YOUR CHIN!" The whole room erupted into laughter and a few of the guys actually cheered.

I pumped my fist into the air in triumph and danced around a little just to taunt him and then went outside to smoke. Later I heard that he was really quiet after that. It was awesome.

Written By: statsqueen on 09/26/07 at 11:09 am

Holy crap! (Part deux):

Gotta love it.

As a longtime Michigan fan, I wasn't too crazy about the first couple of games of the season.

Written By: statsqueen on 09/26/07 at 11:10 am

a Division 1-AA team.

titles so they're not that bad of a football team, but Michigan should be a little embarrassed getting beat by them.

They were more than embarrassed, believe me.

Written By: statsqueen on 09/26/07 at 11:13 am

(Wolveroses: Not to rub salt in your wounds but I have the feeling that the whole state of Michigan wants Lloyd Carr's head on a silver platter right about now.)

We did when you posted this, no doubt--and would have settled for his head on aluminum foil if necessary.  However, since they beat Penn State the calls for his head aren't as vehement.  Stay tuned....

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/21/07 at 10:49 pm

Lots of turmoil back in Lincoln right now. Coach Bill Callahan is completely incompetent, and the Huskers haven't been this bad since 1961. Nebraska has had their asses handed to them for three straight weeks now (and not just close, hard-fought games either, but straight-out ass-whoopings) and Husker fans are pissed.

Steve Pederson, the athletic director who, back in 2003, fired head coach Frank Solich despite going 9-3 and then went on to completely bungle the search for a replacement, was fired last Monday, to the delight of pretty much the entire state of Nebraska. Back in September, Pederson signed Callahan to a 5-year contract extension, and since it's pretty obvious that Callahan will be gone at the end of the season he's gonna leave town with somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million, which is what it will take to buy out his contract. Not only has he completely destroyed a once-mighty football program and alienated a lot of the fan base but he's also getting a nice fat paycheck for his efforts.

I have pretty much written off the rest of the season and there's an excellent chance that Nebraska will not win another football game this year.

However, there is hope. After Steve Pederson was fired, the university hired legendary coach Tom Osborne as interim athletic director. Osborne has promised to go back to some of the traditions that made the Cornhuskers great and I have full confidence that he will hire a new coach that will fully embrace the rich history and traditions of Nebraska football while at the same time making the changes necessary to be competitive in the 21st century.

Bye bye Callahan, don't let the door hit you in the ass.  >:(

Written By: La Roche on 10/21/07 at 11:03 pm

Lots of turmoil back in Lincoln right now. Coach Bill Callahan is completely incompetent, and the Huskers haven't been this bad since 1961. Nebraska has had their asses handed to them for three straight weeks now (and not just close, hard-fought games either, but straight-out ass-whoopings) and Husker fans are pissed.

Steve Pederson, the athletic director who, back in 2003, fired head coach Frank Solich despite going 9-3 and then went on to completely bungle the search for a replacement, was fired last Monday, to the delight of pretty much the entire state of Nebraska. Back in September, Pederson signed Callahan to a 5-year contract extension, and since it's pretty obvious that Callahan will be gone at the end of the season he's gonna leave town with somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million, which is what it will take to buy out his contract. Not only has he completely destroyed a once-mighty football program and alienated a lot of the fan base but he's also getting a nice fat paycheck for his efforts.

I have pretty much written off the rest of the season and there's an excellent chance that Nebraska will not win another football game this year.

However, there is hope. After Steve Pederson was fired, the university hired legendary coach Tom Osborne as interim athletic director. Osborne has promised to go back to some of the traditions that made the Cornhuskers great and I have full confidence that he will hire a new coach that will fully embrace the rich history and traditions of Nebraska football while at the same time making the changes necessary to be competitive in the 21st century.

Bye bye Callahan, don't let the door hit you in the ass.  >:(

Callahan is a joke.

Mizzou stomped all over Texas Tech yesterday, Iowa state next, that'll be another blowout.

I'm looking forward to the Border match against Kansas in November, that's gonna be one hell of a balls out, gut bustin' game, Hell, Missouri and Kansas both play like Nebraska used to wouldn't you say Al? We get all the farmboys now.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/21/07 at 11:32 pm

Callahan is a joke.

Mizzou stomped all over Texas Tech yesterday, Iowa state next, that'll be another blowout.

I'm looking forward to the Border match against Kansas in November, that's gonna be one hell of a balls out, gut bustin' game, Hell, Missouri and Kansas both play like Nebraska used to wouldn't you say Al? We get all the farmboys now.  ;D

I'm actually going to that game, should be a good one.

Written By: tv on 10/31/07 at 3:01 pm

Callahan is a joke.

Thats funny your saying that Bill Callahan is joke I mean he did take the Raiders to the Super Bowl which was something Jon Gruden couldn;t do. Of course we know that Gruden's team the Bucaneers(that he coached) killed the Raiders in that Super Bowl.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/31/07 at 10:31 pm

Thats funny your saying that Bill Callahan is joke I mean he did take the Raiders to the Super Bowl which was something Jon Gruden couldn;t do. Of course we know that Gruden's team the Bucaneers(that he coached) killed the Raiders in that Super Bowl.

Callahan was like that coach that stole the Fonz's playbook in "The Waterboy" and then got pwned by the Fonz at the big game.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/03/07 at 2:22 am

Oh, Jesus, where do I begin?  >:(

I never bought into this whole "Callahan took the Raiders to the Super Bowl" BS.

Bill Callahan took Jon Gruden's team to the Super Bowl (the main reason being is because he let QB Rich Gannon call all the plays) and the reason they lost is because he never changed the playbook and Gruden knew exactly what he was doing. And, if you recall, the following year, the Raiders went 4-12 and at the end of the season Callahan called his own team "the dumbest team in America." Several former Raiders have since came out and said that basically they couldn't stand him.

Fast forward to 2007. Callahan has singlehandedly destroyed the once-great Nebraska Cornhuskers and all the traditions that made them so dominant over the last 40 years. I had high hopes for this season, Callahan has been at Nebraska for 4 years now and I thought this could be his breakthrough year. Instead the Huskers have been suffering through their worst season since 1961 (including devastating losses at home to Oklahoma State and Texas A&M). 

He has stubbornly refused to alter his game plan when necessary and, even worse, he has kept his BFF Kevin Cosgrove around, the defensive coordinator who has turned the once-feared Blackshirts into a complete laughingstock. And to make matters worse, after the humiliating 45-14 loss in Lincoln to Oklahoma State (which is a marginally good team at best), Callahan had the gall to say in his press conference the following week that he's "doing an excellent job."

It's a safe bet that Nebraska will finally be rid of Bill Callahan by the end of this month and I say good riddance, don't let the door hit you in the ass. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a job as an offensive coordinator in the NFL, but he's proven twice now that he is utterly incompetent as a head coach and once he's gone I highly doubt that his phone will be ringing off the hook with calls coming in from any Division I schools (let alone any NFL teams) trying to fill a head coaching vacancy.

Bill Callahan flat-out sucks.  >:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/04/07 at 1:02 am

Not to pile on, but...

Kansas absolutely destroyed Nebraska today, 76-39.

76 points? That's the most points any team has ever scored against the Huskers in the entire history of the program.

Please, please, PLEASE explain to me why Bill Callahan isn't a joke.  ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/05/07 at 5:31 pm

On the bright side, Nebraska DID score 39 points...

After losing three straight since being ranked #2, the Cal Bears jumped back into the rankings at #24.  I hope they can at least beat Stanfurd this year :P

Written By: La Roche on 11/06/07 at 8:47 pm

Something most people really didn't think at the start of the year.. but given the right circumstances.. Missouri could conceivably end up playing for all the marbles as it were at the end of the year.

You've gotta look for Ohio to lose.. as soon as they do they'll plummet, the big 10 is piss weak and the BSC has no confidence in it. The big 12 is a hell of a lot stronger and if you see them beating Kansas and running the table there's no easy way to deny them the number 2 spot. We all know LSU is the real best team in the country.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/07/07 at 1:29 am

Something most people really didn't think at the start of the year.. but given the right circumstances.. Missouri could conceivably end up playing for all the marbles as it were at the end of the year.

You've gotta look for Ohio to lose.. as soon as they do they'll plummet, the big 10 is piss weak and the BSC has no confidence in it. The big 12 is a hell of a lot stronger and if you see them beating Kansas and running the table there's no easy way to deny them the number 2 spot. We all know LSU is the real best team in the country.

The Border Showdown between KU and MU should be an awesome game. To me it's all up in the air (is Kansas for real or have they just been beating up on a bunch of patsies? If Mizzou beats Kansas, can they win a rematch against Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game?)  All I know for sure is that whoever wins the Big 12 this year deserves a shot at the national title.

Written By: La Roche on 11/07/07 at 7:41 am

The Border Showdown between KU and MU should be an awesome game. To me it's all up in the air (is Kansas for real or have they just been beating up on a bunch of patsies? If Mizzou beats Kansas, can they win a rematch against Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game?)  All I know for sure is that whoever wins the Big 12 this year deserves a shot at the national title.

Exactly!

Dude, I tried to get tickets to the border showdown, I was gonna take my cousin and also see if you wanted to go..

But I assume you don't wanna pay $70 a ticket? (that's with my discount by the way).

Kansas... are an anomaly, they really shouldn't be playing this well, but.. they are. I don't know, it should really all come down to the border game.

I think Mizzou can beat Oklahoma, you saw the same game I did, they were in it all the way and lost because of throwing interceptions, not because they were a worse team.

Written By: La Roche on 11/11/07 at 4:47 pm

ILL-E-F**KIN-NOIZE!

Written By: loki 13 on 11/17/07 at 6:08 pm

Watching Penn State lose anther game is so frustrating because this game has surpassed Joe Paterno.
The Nittany Lions haven't been any good since the early 80's. The game has changed,Paterno has not.
Paterno is revered in Happy Valley and the Alumni haven't the guts to force him out. By Paterno staying
he is doing a disservice to the program. Top notch recruits are bypassing PSU because the program lacks
the winning attitude it once had.

DO US ALL A FAVOR JOE PA...........RETIRE!!!

Written By: La Roche on 11/17/07 at 11:24 pm

Missouri won, Kansas won, Oklahoma lost.

Next Saturday is gonna be a balls out war man! Whoever wins is pretty much gonna end up going to the National Championship game.

I tried to get tickets but couldn't, it's all down to Al now!

Written By: loki 13 on 11/18/07 at 10:30 am

Missouri won, Kansas won, Oklahoma lost.

Next Saturday is gonna be a balls out war man! Whoever wins is pretty much gonna end up going to the National Championship game.

I tried to get tickets but couldn't, it's all down to Al now!

With Oregon's loss Thursday night and Oklahoma's loss yesterday, will that move Kansas into the cursed #2 spot?
This Saturday's game will definitely be a highlighted, must watch game.

Written By: La Roche on 11/18/07 at 11:10 am

With Oregon's loss Thursday night and Oklahoma's loss yesterday, will that move Kansas into the cursed #2 spot?
This Saturday's game will definitely be a highlighted, must watch game.

Well, LSU should be first, with their 10 - 1 record.
KU will be second as they're 11 - 0 with their unbelievably weak schedule.
Missouri should be third, they're 10 - 1 with a tougher schedule than Oklahoma who should probably be fourth.. maybe.
West Virginia and Ohio won, either of these teams could leap frog Oklahoma for the 4th spot.
In theory, one of them could leap frog Missouri and go third with Missouri in fourth.

Either way - If Kansas beats Missouri on Saturday they'll be the only undefeated team and will pretty much be guaranteed the number 2 spot before going to face Oklahoma.
However, if Missouri beats an undefeated Kansas on Saturday, there's no way they can't go second.

Written By: statsqueen on 11/18/07 at 3:37 pm

Watching Penn State lose anther game is so frustrating because this game has surpassed Joe Paterno.
The Nittany Lions haven't been any good since the early 80's. The game has changed,Paterno has not.
Paterno is revered in Happy Valley and the Alumni haven't the guts to force him out. By Paterno staying
he is doing a disservice to the program. Top notch recruits are bypassing PSU because the program lacks
the winning attitude it once had.

DO US ALL A FAVOR JOE PA...........RETIRE!!!

I guess U-M alumni didn't have the guts/heart to force out Lloyd Carr, but they sure were calling for his head on a platter at the beginning of the season.  There is a LOT of talk that he is going to step down now that the Wolverines are out of pretty much everything, after having lost to Wisconsin and losing the Rose Bowl bid to OSU yesterday.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/26/07 at 9:29 am

Callahan fired; Nebraska looks for new coach

Whodathunkit?

Written By: La Roche on 11/26/07 at 12:27 pm

MIzzou are officially the best team in the coutry!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/27/07 at 1:19 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-playoff112707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This gentleman makes a very strong proposal.

Written By: La Roche on 11/27/07 at 1:51 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-playoff112707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This gentleman makes a very strong proposal.

It's an excellent idea.

The rankings system is archaic and retarded.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/02/07 at 11:14 am

It's an excellent idea.

The rankings system is archaic and retarded.

I agree, Take a look at the first two spots; to me, Missouri and West Virginia are frauds as well as Ohio State.
I know conference schedule has a lot to do with it and teams can't help who they play but between the 3
teams they played against 6 ranked teams and went 2-4. LSU played 7 ranked teams and went 6-1, Georgia
went 2-2 against ranked opponents but like LSU they play in the toughest conference in football, the SEC.

Who should play for the national title; The Big 10 isn't what it used to be, so by virtue that takes out Ohio State.
Virginia Tech (Atlantic Coast) is in a tougher Conference but doesn't quite meet the standards as the SEC. So in my
opinion, which don't mean squat, the title game should stay in the SEC with LSU vs. Georgia.

On another note, The NCAA should do the right thing, knock West Virginia out and give a BCS game the undefeated
Rainbow Warriors of Hawaii, I know the WAC sucks but a 12-0 season is still an accomplishment.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/02/07 at 11:40 am

On another note, The NCAA should do the right thing, knock West Virginia out and give a BCS game the undefeated
Rainbow Warriors of Hawaii, I know the WAC sucks but a 12-0 season is still an accomplishment.

Oh, yes!  The fans here are going crazy after the Warriors finished a perfect season yesterday!  :D

Written By: La Roche on 12/02/07 at 12:00 pm

Couldn't get anything going against Oklahoma.

Unsurprisingly I entered a haze that I'm just starting to emerge from.

I'm going to sit and pout today.  :(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/02/07 at 8:02 pm

Couldn't get anything going against Oklahoma.

Unsurprisingly I entered a haze that I'm just starting to emerge from.

I'm going to sit and pout today.  :(

I didn't get to watch the game, I had to work.  >:(

Bummer for Mizzou though. Like I was telling my friends at work last night, now you know how Husker fans felt about OU back in the 70's.

Also, today Nebraska named (LSU defensive coordinator) Bo Pelini as their new head football coach, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

I am stoked!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/02/07 at 9:34 pm

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=746648

BCS title game between OSU and LSU.

This is why we need a playoff, considering that college teams can't play every single "good" team each season and it's so subjective to rank who is the "best" team.  Make the players play an extra 3-4 rounds, it's not like they're actually going to school for the most part anyway :P

Written By: La Roche on 12/02/07 at 9:38 pm

I didn't get to watch the game, I had to work.  >:(

Bummer for Mizzou though. Like I was telling my friends at work last night, now you know how Husker fans felt about OU back in the 70's.

Also, today Nebraska named (LSU defensive coordinator) Bo Pelini as their new head football coach, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

I am stoked!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Right, OU - Negative football.

I thought you were a fan of that Geezer up in Buffalo?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/03/07 at 3:13 am

Right, OU - Negative football.

I thought you were a fan of that Geezer up in Buffalo?
Turner Gill? Well, at 45 I wouldn't say he's geezing quite yet.

I would've been happy with Gill, but when Pelini speaking was at his press conference today formally accepting the job at NU, he spoke with such passion and intensity that he seemed like he was chomping at the bit to get started and I was getting goose bumps listening to him speak.

I think he's gonna be an awesome head coach at Nebraska.

Written By: La Roche on 12/03/07 at 9:08 am

Turner Gill? Well, at 45 I wouldn't say he's geezing quite yet.

I would've been happy with Gill, but when Pelini speaking was at his press conference today formally accepting the job at NU, he spoke with such passion and intensity that he seemed like he was chomping at the bit to get started and I was getting goose bumps listening to him speak.

I think he's gonna be an awesome head coach at Nebraska.

Geezer as in.. bloke, not geezer as in old man.  ;D

Well understandably so, he's got an outstanding system to work with and who can blame him for being excited, there's no reason Nebraska can't turn it around and challenge again within the next 2-3 years.

Written By: Blah on 12/08/07 at 10:45 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/12/08/heisman.ap/index.html

Tebow wins!  Fatality...

Written By: statsqueen on 12/10/07 at 8:48 pm

Wish Michigan could get a new coach........  ???  :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/07/08 at 10:47 pm

LSU > OSU.

Who wants a playoff?  :D  I wonder how Georgia or USC would've done against LSU...or how Kansas would've fared against Missouri again.

Check for new replies or respond here...