inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sports figures' guest appearances on TV

Written By: KKay on 09/09/06 at 3:42 pm

I loved when sports stars used to show up on TV in comedies or variety shows.  Remember how Rosie Grier taught kids that it was OK to do embroidery and cry?  Remember how exctied the Brady kids were when they met Don Drysdale?  Did you see Dr. J on Doogie Howser?

What's your favorite guest appearnace by a sports figure?  Mention the Harlem Globetrotters as many times as you want cuz they were always good.

Subject: Re: Sports figures' guest appearances on TV

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/09/06 at 3:44 pm

I think I'm too young for this. 

Written By: Tia on 09/09/06 at 3:56 pm

^that comment with that avatar is strangely... hot.

i was just thinking about when, um, joe montana, quarterback for the 49ers was on SNL in the 80s. it's hilarious! once he almost, almost totally melts down and forgets his lines or something... and then makes up for it with a hilarious masturbation sketch. awesome.

Written By: Tia on 09/09/06 at 3:58 pm

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86istu.phtml

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/09/06 at 4:16 pm

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did a lot of movies while he was playing, and even after he retired.  I remember him as the tall black dude who got beat DOWN by Bruce Lee....but that was on the big screen, not TV.  I think Dennis Rodman was on a couple TV shows as a "role model" :P

Written By: Tia on 09/09/06 at 4:32 pm

oo! wasn't that enter the dragon? i love that movie. we're having "guys night" here at the witch mountain homestead some point soon and i might suggest that as a potential movie. that and... dirty mary crazy larry! yeah!

KAJ was a real bright spot in "airplane!"

Written By: freeridemt on 09/09/06 at 7:13 pm

oo! wasn't that enter the dragon? i love that movie. we're having "guys night" here at the witch mountain homestead some point soon and i might suggest that as a potential movie. that and... dirty mary crazy larry! yeah!

No it was The Game Of Death.
Where Lee had to fight his way up level by level. :) :)

Written By: loki 13 on 09/09/06 at 7:38 pm

The ones I can think of right off the top my head are;

Seinfeld: Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Paul O'Neill and Keith Hernandez

Brady Bunch: other than Don Drysdale, Joe Namath

Diff'rent Strokes: Muhammed Ali, Reggie Jackson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Reggie Jackson also appeared on an episode of The Jefferson's

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/09/06 at 9:18 pm

No it was The Game Of Death.
Where Lee had to fight his way up level by level. :) :)

For some reason I thought it was Fist of Fury...Bruce had his yellow suit on, the one that Uma Thurman wore in Kill Bill.

Kareem was one of Bruce Lee's celebrity students.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/06 at 1:26 pm

I was thinking of that, too. There was also Reggie Jackson in the Naked Gun.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/06 at 5:27 pm

For some reason I thought it was Fist of Fury...Bruce had his yellow suit on, the one that Uma Thurman wore in Kill Bill.

Kareem was one of Bruce Lee's celebrity students.

It was Game Of Death, Fist Of Fury was released earlier and was called The Chinese Connection overseas.
That had Bruce Lee fighting in an ice house.

Game Of Death showed Bruce Lee fighting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, strange thing about this movie is, that
is the only time you see the real Bruce Lee in the whole movie. The Game Of Death was put on hold so
Lee could film Enter The Dragon. He died before he could finish The Game Of Death so producers used
a stand in to finish the movie. They used the 12 minute fight scene with Kareem and made a movie around it.

Written By: KKay on 09/11/06 at 9:48 am

I remember OJ kissing Bill Murray on SNL. 

and there are tons and tons of sitcom scenarios where one kid says he knows the sports guy....tells all his friends, then he has to admit he lied but the dad pulls some strings and then the guy shows up anyway....or the kid pretends to be sick to get the guy to come visit...didn't Bobby Brady do this?  Was this the one with Don Drysdale?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/06 at 12:07 pm

I remember Joe Garagiola hosting a t.v. show. When I checked IMDB, it seems he hosted a couple of shows plus made numerous appearences on other shows.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0304792/

Cat

Written By: KKay on 09/16/06 at 1:12 pm

I used to love all Yogi Berra's tv commercials

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/16/06 at 2:49 pm

I used to love all Yogi Berra's tv commercials

Yo!

Yao!

Yo!

No...Yo-GI.

Written By: Abix on 09/16/06 at 4:29 pm

Yo!

Yao!

Yo!

No...Yo-GI.

yeh I love that one too. I still laugh at the AFLAC one too.. where he says, "you know the one where they give you money, which is the same as cash" and everyone including the duck drops their jaw. It still makes me chuckle.

Written By: Max Power on 09/16/06 at 4:35 pm

I was thinking of that, too. There was also Reggie Jackson in the Naked Gun.

Cat

Clemens in " Kingpin ", Reggie Jackson, Dale Earnhart, dancing football players, and a decapitated hockey player in " Baseketball "

Written By: KKay on 09/16/06 at 4:38 pm

the "homer at Bat"
episode where all the major league players are hired as ringers for Mr. Burn's softball team!!!

Homer: You're Darryl Strawberry.
Darryl: Yes?
Homer: You play right field.
Darryl: Yes?
Homer: I play right field, too.
Darryl: So?
Homer: Well, are you better than me?
Darryl: Well, I never met you... but yes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/06 at 5:52 pm

The commercial I always loved was with Billy Martin and George Steinbrenner: Tastes great! Less filling. With George saying, "Billy, you're fired." and Billy saying, "Not again." They redid the commercial with George saying, "Billy, you're hired" and Billy saying, "Not again." At the end of the commercial George says, "Did I say 'Hired'?"

Cat

Written By: KKay on 09/16/06 at 7:23 pm

Well Mr.Burns had done it.
The Power Plant had won it.
With Roger Clemens clucking all the while,
Mike Socia's tragic illness made us smile,
While Wade Boggs laid unconsciouson the bar-room tile.

Chorus:
We're talking softball.
From Maine to San Diego.
Talking softball, Manningly and Conseco,
Ken Griffy's grotesquely swollen jaw
Steve Sax and his run-in with the law,
We're talking Homer.....Ozzy and the Straw.

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/06 at 9:42 pm

Diff'rent Strokes: Muhammed Ali, Reggie Jackson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Too Tall Jones was also on Diff'rent Strokes :)

One of the best and funniest was an episode of the now cancelled series "Yes, Dear" where Johnny Bench, Ernie Banks and Frank Robinson appeared as themselves.  Big Jimmy Hughes had coached them in the minor leagues, but what he neglected to say was that the last time he saw them was just before he stole their payroll and took off in the team bus.  When they found out where he lived, they showed up and attacked him with chairs and bats

At the end, Little Jimmy said he was sorry, and Big Jimmy was like "Sorry for what?  Setting me up for a beating, or arming the guys that did it" ;D

Written By: nally on 09/19/06 at 11:58 pm

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did a lot of movies while he was playing, and even after he retired.  I remember him as the tall black dude who got beat DOWN by Bruce Lee....but that was on the big screen, not TV.  I think Dennis Rodman was on a couple TV shows as a "role model" :P

Kareem Abdul-Jabaar made a special guest appearance on a later episode of "Full House", namely the 184th episode. It's the one where Jesse proves to be no good at basketball. So Kareem drops by the court to try to help him.

Written By: whistledog on 09/27/06 at 2:58 am

Kareem Abdul-Jabaar made a special guest appearance on a later episode of "Full House", namely the 184th episode. It's the one where Jesse proves to be no good at basketball. So Kareem drops by the court to try to help him.

I remember that episode.  If I remember correctly, Jesse had no idea who it was ;D

Written By: nally on 09/28/06 at 5:16 pm

I remember that episode.  If I remember correctly, Jesse had no idea who it was ;D

That's right...when Kareem and his son first came to the court, Jesse didn't know who the tall man was. "Do you know how to play basketball?" Jesse asked. "A little," Kareem said, trying not to give himself away. Later, Jesse seemed to only be able to make baskets from a "sweet spot." The next day, before the game, DJ is about to introduce Kareem to the crowd; Jesse, sitting next to the tall man, asks if he knows this guy. "Yeah, I've heard of him," Kareem says. So then, surprise, surprise...when Kareem's name is mentioned, the tall man stands up. "Wait...you're him? He's you?" an astonished Jesse asks. Kareem responds with, "Well, you gotta be somebody!"

Check for new replies or respond here...