inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kobe Bryant - Egomaniac!

Written By: Tam on 10/11/06 at 10:28 am

As if Kobe Bryant didn't have a big head already! Here is another reason reason why I can't stand that guy!

He is changing his player number from 8 to 24!
Apparently, it is the number he wore in High School - which is cool, so why didn't he use it when he came into the league? The Lakers had already retired 33 (the number he switched to after leading his high school to the state championship) for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - so instead the little egomaniac switched to 8 - the number he used in Italy and the combination of his number he wore at Adidas' ABCD Camp, 143. The numbers add up to 8.  espn

Now, apparently the team put in the number change before the March 3 deadline - and this year he is wearing 24!!
AND - he is being secretive about it!

"Here's the deal, though. Michael Jordan was #23. The Nike Jordan XXIII's are the next ones due out (CORRECTION THAT BLOWS THIS WHOLE THEORY MORE OR LESS TO HELL: the XXIII's are actually nearly two years away), at next year's All-Star game. Wouldn't it be cool if the line were then retired, only be taken over by "the new Jordan," Kobe Bryant, #24?

Can you imagine that meeting? "Umm, Mr. Jordan, what do you think about having Kobe Bryant be Michael Jordan from here on out..."

Assuming this is the truth, and I'd bet good money that it is, then I salute the geniuses at Nike for thinking of it. Clever.

But a lot of the poetry is lost because Bryant is, apparently, in the end, changing his number and his identity to help Nike make more money. That's not as exciting as if he had always been #24."  True Hoop

Granted, the above articles are from April of this year - however, go to his player profile for the Lakers. The proof is in the number he displays next to his name! Bryant Player Page
Man, that guy annoys the crap out of me!!!

Subject: Re: Kobe Bryant - Egomaniac!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/11/06 at 4:44 pm

I honestly don't think he cares as long as he keeps bringing in that $15-20M a year ;)  But yeah, it's kind of weird how he made this number change thing such a big deal.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/06 at 4:47 pm

Well I am shocked.  A sports superstar with a big ego, what is this world coming to.  ::)

Written By: nupur on 10/12/06 at 7:54 pm

i'm not that shocked at all. he's not one of my favorite nba guys, anyways. players' numbers don't affect their game.. sure, nike can use this to make more $$, but i don't see why it's such a big deal.

Check for new replies or respond here...