inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NBA Season 2006-07

Written By: nally on 11/01/06 at 12:04 pm

So...the latest NBA (National Basketball Association) season is now underway...so what's everyone's favorite teams?

Me, I've always cheered for my local teams, so I have two local NBA teams: the Clippers and the Lakers; I like the latter better.

Last night, there were two games played:
Chicago Bulls trouncing host Miami Heat...108-66
L.A. Lakers edging the visiting Phoenix Suns...114-106

Subject: Re: NBA Season 2006-07

Written By: nupur on 11/01/06 at 1:59 pm

i've been waiting for an NBA thread for a while now...thanks! :D

i'm definately rooting for my local boys, the Celtics, led by none other than Paul Pierce 8). we have some new point guards (Rondo and Telfair) who i really think will make a difference this year...especially, if the guys can get used to each other's style, our running game could get us back in the playoffs...and if New Jersey has some trouble this season (which is possible), maybe we can even win the Atlantic

i also like Chicago. with Ben Wallace plus the guys they had last year, i think they're gonna be a pretty big force this season in the league...just look at last night's thrashing of the returning champs  ;D

as of right now, I have the Mavericks winning the championship, but that could change..

i don't know when Kobe is supposed to be back, but hopefully for you, nally, (as a Lakers fan) he won't be out too long and his sore knee won't affect his game too much..although he's definately not one of my favorite players, injuries are not a fun thing

Written By: nally on 11/01/06 at 2:28 pm

Well, I never really liked Kobe. ::) But I do like the Lakers.

Written By: nupur on 11/01/06 at 3:23 pm

Well, I never really liked Kobe.

good  :)

Written By: ... on 11/20/06 at 3:22 pm

The Lakers are off to a good start. But the Utar Jazz are better.

Written By: nupur on 11/21/06 at 9:33 am

yea, utah's doing really well. i think the past week they went 3-0. also, most of the playoff teams from last season aren't over .500. that'll probably change soon, though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/01/06 at 11:58 pm

NBA players sue league over ball, rules

Yikes!

Written By: nupur on 12/02/06 at 6:29 pm

NBA players sue league over ball, rules

Yikes!

the refs have been very tough this year, especially with the zero-tolerance policy, a player can't really argue against calls without getting a technical...they also have been calling way too many travelling violations, although i think after the players had complained, the refs were told to not be as nit-picky.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/09/06 at 11:02 am

Allen Iverson seems to have played his last game in a 76ers uniform. Iverson asked to be traded
and Chairman Ed Snyder agreed to try.

I am an A.I. fan. I loved what he brought to the court. He sold alot of tickets for the Sixers and his
merchandise sells well world wide. What I didn't like was his off court antics.He thought practice was
a bothersome bore and he consistently missed mandatory appearances. He skipped a fan appreciation
game at the end of last season, as did Webber, then acted as if he had no concern for the fans who
were there to see him.

The A.I. era is over, I will miss him here in Philadelphia but it is obvious the Sixers are going nowhere with
him. It is time for a change, this team must be completely torn apart and rebuilt.

Written By: nupur on 12/09/06 at 5:10 pm

part of me hopes Iverson comes to Boston, but I don't want to give up too many of our young guys for him, like gerald green.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/09/06 at 5:34 pm

part of me hopes Iverson comes to Boston, but I don't want to give up too many of our young guys for him, like gerald green.

You really want to rip my heart out don't you.  ;D I lived through the Dr. J, Larry Bird rivalry.
I remember full well what The Celtics, Sixers battles were about. The rivalry between the teams
isn't what it used to be but all the same I couldn't wish Iverson well if he is wearing the Celtic Green.  ;D

Written By: tv on 12/11/06 at 12:32 am

Allen Iverson seems to have played his last game in a 76ers uniform. Iverson asked to be traded
and Chairman Ed Snyder agreed to try.

I am an A.I. fan. I loved what he brought to the court. He sold alot of tickets for the Sixers and his
merchandise sells well world wide. What I didn't like was his off court antics.He thought practice was
a bothersome bore and he consistently missed mandatory appearances. He skipped a fan appreciation
game at the end of last season, as did Webber, then acted as if he had no concern for the fans who
were there to see him.

The A.I. era is over, I will miss him here in Philadelphia but it is obvious the Sixers are going nowhere with
him. It is time for a change, this team must be completely torn apart and rebuilt.

The Sixers had been a decent team from 1998-2005 except for 04. I don;t know after the Sixers appeared in the Finals in 2001 New Jersey and Detroit got better. Cleveland and Chicago have gotten better. The Sixers have no team chemistry. In 2001 they had basically all role players with the exception of Allen Iverson and it was good enough to get them to the Finals. They had basically the same team up until maybe 04 but I guess for that one year it was good enough for them to get to the Eastern Conference Finals. In 02 they lost to the Celtics in 7 games in the first round and in 03 suffered a tough 7 game second round loss to Detroit.

Its sad to see Philly tear apart their team and rebuild. They did the same thing after they traded Charles Barkley after the 91-92 season and basically that team that lost to the Chicago Bulls in the 90 and 91 second round of playoffs was basically Barkley and a bunch of role players with the exception being Hersey Hawkins maybe.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/11/06 at 11:06 pm

Old ball returns Jan 1

Yay? 

Written By: nupur on 12/12/06 at 9:38 pm

Old ball returns Jan 1

Yay? 

i'm wondering, will it be hard for the players to adjust back to the old ball since they've been playing with the new ball for so many months now?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/12/06 at 9:40 pm

They probably use the old ball on their own time just to reminisce about the "good ol' days" :D

Written By: nupur on 12/12/06 at 9:42 pm

They probably use the old ball on their own time just to reminisce about the "good ol' days" :D

haha, i could imagine that ;D

Written By: nally on 12/12/06 at 10:47 pm

Lakers had a 20-some-odd point lead in the 4th quarter, but it seemed to have evaporated when there was only one minute left. :-\\

Written By: nupur on 12/14/06 at 3:11 pm

Lakers had a 20-some-odd point lead in the 4th quarter, but it seemed to have evaporated when there was only one minute left. :-\\

i only saw the very beginning of the game. it's too bad Odom is out with his knee injury. he was having a great season.

Written By: nally on 12/14/06 at 3:44 pm

i only saw the very beginning of the game. it's too bad Odom is out with his knee injury. he was having a great season.

The Lakers ended up winning that game, btw...but barely.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/15/06 at 1:24 am

The Sixers had been a decent team from 1998-2005 except for 04. I don;t know after the Sixers appeared in the Finals in 2001 New Jersey and Detroit got better. Cleveland and Chicago have gotten better. The Sixers have no team chemistry. In 2001 they had basically all role players with the exception of Allen Iverson and it was good enough to get them to the Finals. They had basically the same team up until maybe 04 but I guess for that one year it was good enough for them to get to the Eastern Conference Finals. In 02 they lost to the Celtics in 7 games in the first round and in 03 suffered a tough 7 game second round loss to Detroit.

Its sad to see Philly tear apart their team and rebuild. They did the same thing after they traded Charles Barkley after the 91-92 season and basically that team that lost to the Chicago Bulls in the 90 and 91 second round of playoffs was basically Barkley and a bunch of role players with the exception being Hersey Hawkins maybe.

Speaking of which:

Sports Guy speaketh

Written By: nupur on 12/15/06 at 10:29 am

Speaking of which:

Sports Guy speaketh

good read. makes me really want iverson to come to boston.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/17/06 at 11:53 am

..and in this corner...

What a brawl!

Written By: loki 13 on 12/19/06 at 3:57 pm

Looks like Allen Iverson is headed to Denver. The league has to approve the trade but that shouldn't
be a problem. In return for Iverson, the Sixers will get Joe Smith, Andre Miller and two draft picks.

I'm not surprised with Iverson going to Denver. With the latest suspensions the Nuggets will need a
name to to put people in the seats, and what better name than Iverson.

It going to be interesting to see how Iverson and Carmelo Anthony will be able to play together. I suspect
Iverson to do well feeding Anthony the ball for a few games but once Iverson finds a comfort zone he will
be hard pressed to give the ball up.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/19/06 at 4:04 pm

..and in this corner...

What a brawl!

I love brawls in sports where fighting is not de mode.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/19/06 at 11:34 pm

Looks like Allen Iverson is headed to Denver. The league has to approve the trade but that shouldn't
be a problem. In return for Iverson, the Sixers will get Joe Smith, Andre Miller and two draft picks.

I'm not surprised with Iverson going to Denver. With the latest suspensions the Nuggets will need a
name to to put people in the seats, and what better name than Iverson.

It going to be interesting to see how Iverson and Carmelo Anthony will be able to play together. I suspect
Iverson to do well feeding Anthony the ball for a few games but once Iverson finds a comfort zone he will
be hard pressed to give the ball up.

Story here

I think that with another player who is a scoring threat, Iverson can be even more effective since he doesn't have to slash and attack the basket as much as he did in Philly (this is after Carmelo gets back from suspension).  Even when he scores a ton of points Iverson can be good for 9-10 assists or more so he's not a complete ballhog.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/21/06 at 4:19 pm

Larry Brown has been hanging around the Sixers organization for a few weeks now. Rumor has it,
he will be rejoining the Sixers in some capacity other than coach. Other rumors stated he was, in
some way, in with the Iverson trade.

The Sixers traded their, "headache," Iverson, they will bring Larry Brown back, all in attempts to make this
team better. What Ed Snider is missing is the obvious. Get rid of Billy King and maybe this team will get better.
King had Iverson for ten years. In those ten years, with the exception of one, King did nothing to get Iverson
a supporting cast. All he seems to do is get mediocre positional players. He refuses to get a natural center, the
Sixers have been using power forwards in the center position for years. Defense on this team has been non-
existant and the lack of a consistant shooter is painfully obvious. I just hope that some sense can be made of this
mess before they waste their first round picks.

Written By: tv on 12/24/06 at 11:08 pm

Larry Brown has been hanging around the Sixers organization for a few weeks now. Rumor has it,
he will be rejoining the Sixers in some capacity other than coach. Other rumors stated he was, in
some way, in with the Iverson trade.

The Sixers traded their, "headache," Iverson, they will bring Larry Brown back, all in attempts to make this
team better. What Ed Snider is missing is the obvious. Get rid of Billy King and maybe this team will get better.
King had Iverson for ten years. In those ten years, with the exception of one, King did nothing to get Iverson
a supporting cast. All he seems to do is get mediocre positional players. He refuses to get a natural center, the
Sixers have been using power forwards in the center position for years. Defense on this team has been non-
existant and the lack of a consistant shooter is painfully obvious. I just hope that some sense can be made of this
mess before they waste their first round picks.
What is the one year that your reffering too that Iverson had a supporting cast the year they went to the Finals in 01? That team was together for 4 years.

On the bright side I think the Sixers aren't going to be that much worse off without Iverson. They have Andre Miller who is a natural point guard. Andre Igoudala has proven to be a 20+ point game scorer the past few games. Chris Webber is still good for 15 points a game if healthy. Joe Smith is a good locker room presence. Kyle Korver is a good shooter. Your looking at a 43 win team on paper but they have already dug themselves a 7-19 hole record wise. Billy King said the other night they need more pieces(players.) I agree they need a natural center. Dikembe Mutombo is the only natural center they have had in the past 5 years.

BTW, I love Iverson and he is one of my favorite ballplayers but they have alot of good players on paper now. Everybody thinks the Sixers are going to be horrible now tha they are without Iverson. I think this team is dangerous though in the Eastern Conference though. I think this team is capable of 35-37 wins this year but considering they were the worst team in basketball maybe before Iverson got traded a mid 30 win total is not bad for this team. I don't think Miami is that good. Washington and Indiana are too inconsistent, Boston is mediocre, New York is too young, and  New Jersey just lost their starting center for the year so the Sixers may make the playoffs even with a 35-37 win total. Detroit is the only real super team in the Eastern Conference and maybe Orlando but again their young as well.

Bottom Line: it hurts tha the Sixers are rebuilding but in the Eastern Conference anything is possible.

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 12:30 am

I think Melo and AI will mesh just fine. Denver could be a champion soon.

Written By: nupur on 12/27/06 at 11:36 am

I think Melo and AI will mesh just fine. Denver could be a champion soon.

even though Anthony is out right now, AI and Boykins make probably the fastest backcourt in the league..watching denver's game against the celtics last night, it seemed like Boykins will definately be able to take over a new scoring role on the team (in addition to Iverson) while Anthony is not playing. i don't know if the AI trade makes Denver instant contenders for the championship this year, but they could get very close.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/30/06 at 12:45 am

Michael Jordan & wife divorce

I wonder how much $$ she's gonna get off of him.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/30/06 at 12:46 am

Mofo is rich, so she's getting bank.

Written By: nupur on 12/30/06 at 2:51 pm

that's the same exact thing that popped into my mind..but still, 17 years is a long time. there must be a good reason for the divorce other than MJ's wife wanting his money.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/28/07 at 3:34 pm

I was so glad when the Pacers finally traded Stephen (Horse's A@$0) Jackson, but they hardly got anything for him. I can only hope that their moves will pay dividends (as it has for at least 3 games). But both of the thugs of "Brawl in Detroit" are gone. ;D

Written By: nupur on 02/15/07 at 10:29 am

Celtics finally just snapped their 18-game losing streak, led by Paul Pierce's 32 points.

Also, can't wait for All Star Weekend. I'm thinking Gerald Green is gonna win the slam-dunk competition this year ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/15/07 at 4:41 pm

Celtics finally just snapped their 18-game losing streak, led by Paul Pierce's 32 points.

Also, can't wait for All Star Weekend. I'm thinking Gerald Green is gonna win the slam-dunk competition this year ;D

I bought tickets at the beginning of the season for the Nets/Celtics game and what a disaster that was(losing game 17)  Those guys were like a bunch of lumbering half smart high school kids.  The only decent part of the game was watching Jason Kidd.  Delonte West wasn't so bad on the Celtics side, and Paul Pierce made his first appearance since being out forever.  The crowd loved it, but you could see he was hurting.  Seems like he may be back in for now.

Written By: nally on 02/27/07 at 10:43 am

Lakers won again...with a not-so-well Kobe.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/10/07 at 10:07 am

As great a player Allen Iverson is, he never made his teammates any better. That is more evident now on
the Sixers. They have a true point guard in Miller, and as a whole, are playing much better basketball with
him at the helm. Most fans in Philadelphia, along with the sports talk radio host, want the Sixers to lose as
many games as possible to better their chances at a decent lottery pick. As it stands now they are only
4 losses behind the final playoff spot.

I am not an advocate on losing on purpose. Fans want the team to develop young players, play hard, but
make sure to lose in the end. I feel the only thing you develop by losing is the ability to lose and accept loss
as the norm -- not something I want to see in young players. I am happy they are playing better ball, Mo Cheeks
is proving he can make his players play well as a team.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/12/07 at 3:55 pm

Isiah Thomas gets an extension

How 'bout DEM apples?

Written By: tv on 03/26/07 at 12:09 pm

I was so glad when the Pacers finally traded Stephen (Horse's A@$0) Jackson, but they hardly got anything for him. I can only hope that their moves will pay dividends (as it has for at least 3 games). But both of the thugs of "Brawl in Detroit" are gone. ;D
Yup they got nothing for Stephen Jackson and it looks like a terrible trade for the Pacers. I mean over the past 9-10 months they have traded Anthony Johson, Fred Jones, Al Harrington, and Stephen Jackson and I don;t know why the Pacers traded all those players except for Jackson and his off the court problems but Jackson was definately a talented and good player for them. In my opinion, If they kept those 4 players on the team they could have given Detroit and Miami and good run for their money in the East. Indiana did a similar trade with Minessota in 1992 which is remenicient of the Jackson trade but for different reasons in which they sent Michael Williams and Chuck Person to Minnesota for Sam Mitchell and Jerome "Pooh" Richardson because the Pacers didn't believe Person and Reggie Miller could co-exist on the same team I think but trading Williams was kinda awkward because he was a good player for them but of course they got Mark Jackson a couple seasons later from the Los Angeles Clippers to esentially replace Williams at the point guard spot. In my opinion too trading Harrington to Golden State was kinda awkward too since Harrington really didn't have any problems on the court or with the team that I know of.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/26/07 at 6:01 pm

I'm still angry at the Pistons for getting rid of Ben, to of all teams Chicago!  I grew up a Chicago Bears fan rather than a Lions fan (living closer to Chi-town than Detroit), but when it came to hoops, I was all about the Bad Boys of Motown.  I don't follow it as closely as I do football though, as that is my favorite sport to watch (esp when my daughter is on the field)    ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/31/07 at 12:39 am

So Kobe scored 50+ points again...but the Lakers lost to the Rockets 107-104.

Kobe scored 53 points, which is more than the rest of his teammates combined.  I see a problem here.

Written By: nally on 03/31/07 at 12:59 am

So Kobe scored 50+ points again...but the Lakers lost to the Rockets 107-104.

Oh well...you win some, you lose some. :-\\ Good for Kobe, though.

Kobe scored 53 points, which is more than the rest of his teammates combined.  I see a problem here.

Yeah...he seems to do that a lot. Guess no one stands a chance or something?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/31/07 at 1:02 am

Yeah...he seems to do that a lot. Guess no one stands a chance or something?

It means the coach's plan of "give it to Kobe all the time" isn't working and that Kobe isn't involving his teammates to get the pressure off of himself to score all the time.

Written By: tv on 03/31/07 at 10:20 pm

It means the coach's plan of "give it to Kobe all the time" isn't working and that Kobe isn't involving his teammates to get the pressure off of himself to score all the time.
Kobe can't do it by himself. I mean Jermaine O' Neal is trying to do the same thing with the Pacers right now(carry the team on his back) like Kobe is but you can;t have one player to do it by himself. I mean Charles Barkley tried to carry the 76ers on his back in the late 80's/early 90's but it just didn't work because it can't. I mean for example Michael Jordan had Scottie Pippen for years watching his back in Chicago. You need 2 superstars on a team in this legue to win and to go far in the playoffs one guy can't just do it by himself. I don;t get why Phil Jackson can;t get Lamar Odom to be that 2nd guy to take the pressure off Kobe. There are exceptions of course I mean Allen Iverson did carry the 76ers to 56 wins and the NBA Finals in 2001 but I look back on the 76er team in 2001 and Aaron McKie and Eric Snow were instrumental in the success of that Sixer team too as well as Iverson back in 2001.

Written By: nally on 04/16/07 at 12:44 pm

Okay, so the Lakers have clinched a playoff spot, while the Clippers are still up for one. They gotta win their last game in order to get it.

Written By: tv on 04/17/07 at 7:54 pm

How about the whole Tim Duncan/Joey Crawford fiasco on Sunday? Time Duncan was laughing on the bench in the Spurs game vs Dallas on Sunday and Crawford gave him 2 technical fouls which ejected Duncan from the game for just Duncan laughing on the Bench. Today NBA Commisioner David Stern suspended Joey Crawford for the whole entire NBA playoffs and Duncan received a 25,000 dollar fine for verbally abusing an NBA referee(Crawford.)

In my opinion Duncan should have never laughed at Crawford because I feel that was disrepectful on Duncan's part but at the same time  Duncan should have not been thrown out of the game for his actions I feel.

I also understrand Stern had warned Crawford about has actions before this whole incdent with Duncan on Sunday but Crawford says in a press release which was on ESPN that he would eject Duncan again id he had to do the whole incident over again or something to that effect. Also, Stern has said this is the last we might have seen of Crawford in the NBA even though Crawford has been an NBA referee for 30 years.

Written By: nally on 04/19/07 at 2:36 pm

So the Clippers' season is over.... oh well :-\\

Written By: statsqueen on 04/19/07 at 2:44 pm

So the Clippers' season is over.... oh well :-\\

Sorry to hear it!  The Suns play Sunday afternoon and the Pistons play Sunday night  :)

What's the logic (I'm sure there is some) to having the 8th seed play the #1 seed?  Is it to demoralize the bottom rung team right off the bat or to reward the #1 seed?  Has the #8 ever beaten the #1?  I know it's been done in tennis, but what about hoops?

Written By: tv on 04/19/07 at 6:40 pm

What's the logic (I'm sure there is some) to having the 8th seed play the #1 seed?  Is it to demoralize the bottom rung team right off the bat or to reward the #1 seed?  Has the #8 ever beaten the #1?  I know it's been done in tennis, but what about hoops?
Has the #8 seed ever beaten the #1 seed in Hoops? Yes it has happened on 2 occasions: the Denver Nuggets who were the #8 seed in the 1994 NBA playoffs defeated the Seattle Supersonics 3 games to 2 back then. As a matter of fact the Nuggets were trailing 2 games to 0 when they won their next 2 games agianst the Sonics at Home and than won a historic and very memorable Game 5 on the Sonics homefloor.

In 1999 the New York Knicks in a strike a shortened NBA season(a 50 game regular season) as an 8th seed went up against the #1 seeded Miami Heat and beat the Heat in Game 5 on the Heats homeflloor on an last second Allan Houston bank shot if I remember correctly.

It almost happened again in 2002 or 2003 if I remember correctly in which the #8 seeded Orlando Magic led the#1 seeded Detroit Pistons in a 7 game playoff series 3 games to 1 and former Orlando Magic and current Houston Rocket superStar Tracy McGrady said the series was over with the Pistons after the Magic led the playoff series 3 games to 1 but the Pistons came back to win 3 games in a row thus winning the playoff series 4 games to 3.

NOTE: I think the particular season in which the Pistons came back to beat the Magic the NBA made the rule in which the 1st round of a playoffs is a 7 game series in which before the 1st round of playoff series was a best of a 5 game series.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/20/07 at 7:34 am

Has the #8 seed ever beaten the #1 seed in Hoops? Yes it has happened on 2 occasions: the Denver Nuggets who were the #8 seed in the 1994 NBA playoffs defeated the Seattle Supersonics 3 games to 2 back then. As a matter of fact the Nuggets were trailing 2 games to 0 when they won their next 2 games agianst the Sonics at Home and than won a historic and very memorable Game 5 on the Sonics homefloor.

In 1999 the New York Knicks in a strike a shortened NBA season(a 50 game regular season) as an 8th seed went up against the #1 seeded Miami Heat and beat the Heat in Game 5 on the Heats homeflloor on an last second Allan Houston bank shot if I remember correctly.

It almost happened again in 2002 or 2003 if I remember correctly in which the #8 seeded Orlando Magic led the#1 seeded Detroit Pistons in a 7 game playoff series 3 games to 1 and former Orlando Magic and current Houston Rocket superStar Tracy McGrady said the series was over with the Pistons after the Magic led the playoff series 3 games to 1 but the Pistons came back to win 3 games in a row thus winning the playoff series 4 games to 3.

NOTE: I think the particular season in which the Pistons came back to beat the Magic the NBA made the rule in which the 1st round of a playoffs is a 7 game series in which before the 1st round of playoff series was a best of a 5 game series.

tv,

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me--I appreciate the trouble you went to.  I used to be a huge basketball fan, but kind of got out of it for a long time, now trying to get back in.  lol Even when I do watch, I would never be able to boast having a memory like yours though!  :)  I'm impressed.

Leave it to the Pistons!  :P

Anyway, thanks again.  It can be fun when there is an upset like that (unless of course the team getting eliminated is one that I like!)  ;)

Happy Friday!

Amy

Written By: tv on 04/20/07 at 4:46 pm

tv,

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me--I appreciate the trouble you went to.  I used to be a huge basketball fan, but kind of got out of it for a long time, now trying to get back in.  lol Even when I do watch, I would never be able to boast having a memory like yours though!   :)  I'm impressed.

Happy Friday!

Amy
Yeah I kind of stop following basketball a little bit from 1999(after Jordan left in 1998)-2006 but I am getting back into it though now. I remember rooting for the Sixers in 2001 when they lost to the Lakers in the Finals and sorta rooted for the Sacamento Kings when Chris Webber was playing for them in the playoffs when the Kings had the big rivalary with the Lakers in the early portion of the 00's.

Ill be rooting for the Nets because I live in New Jersey but than gain I would like to see Chris Webber when a championship with the Pistons also. I would like to see the Utah Jazz do some damage in the Western Conference Bracket but I don;t think they are going to beat the likes of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady in their first round matchup against the Houston Rockets.

Written By: nally on 04/23/07 at 11:21 am

And so, the Lakers lose game one of the first round of playoffs... ::)

Written By: Rice in limbo on 04/23/07 at 1:22 pm

And so, the Lakers lose game one of the first round of playoffs... ::)

That's because Kobe can't do it alone and he picked a really bad time to suck it up.

Written By: nally on 04/23/07 at 5:19 pm

That's because Kobe can't do it alone and he picked a really bad time to suck it up.

Which he seems to do a lot of, lol. ::)

Written By: nally on 05/03/07 at 2:23 pm

And so the Lakers' season is over. :-\\

Suns 119, Lakers 110. Phoenix wins the series 4 games to 1.

So now the Suns will face the San Antonio Spurs, who overcame a 1-0 game deficit to eliminate the Denver Nuggets.

Written By: tv on 05/03/07 at 5:55 pm

Tonights the Jazz vs Rockets Game 6 and Utah must win to stave off elimination to send the series back to Houston for a 7th and deciding game. Tommorow night is the Nets vs Raptors(Game 6) in  which the Nets can eliminate the Raptors at home in New Jersey so we'll see what happens in both games....

Written By: tv on 05/04/07 at 1:24 pm

Well congratulations to the #8 seeded Goden State Warriors for closing out the series out against the #1 seeded Dallas Mavericks last night. A big congrats to the Warriors players such as point guard Baron Davis and also Stephen Jackson as both played excellent in the series against Dallas and also congrats to coach Warroirs Don Nelson.

I say if the Warriors play Utah depending on the outcome of The outcome of Game 7 between the Rockets-Jazz on Saturday night(the Jazz won last night to force a 7th and deciding game on the Rockets homefloor) the Warriors I think have a chance to beat the Jazz but I don;t think they would have a chance to beat the Rockets in a playoff series however.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/06/07 at 4:42 pm

I'm a Jazz fan and happy that they won Game 7.  Good experience for their team for a confidence boost.  Although, I wouldn't say that im necessarily a great fan of the NBA, I still follow them. 

Written By: nally on 05/23/07 at 4:53 pm

I'm not really following the playoffs right now, since none of my favorite teams are in it. However, if someone could post a list of who's in what playoff round right now, that'd be helpful. :)

Written By: tv on 05/24/07 at 6:37 pm

I'm not really following the playoffs right now, since none of my favorite teams are in it. However, if someone could post a list of who's in what playoff round right now, that'd be helpful. :)

Who's still playing:

Western Conference Finals: San Antonio Spurs lead the Utah Jazz 2 games to 0. Game 3 of the Jazz-Spurs Seres will be Saturday on ABC and will take place in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Eastern Conference Finals-The Detroit Pistons lead the Cleveland Caviliers 1 game to 0. Game 2 will take place about 20-30 minutes from now on ESPN I think on the Pistons home floor.

Written By: nally on 05/24/07 at 9:25 pm

Who's still playing:

Western Conference Finals: San Antonio Spurs lead the Utah Jazz 2 games to 0. Game 3 of the Jazz-Spurs Seres will be Saturday on ABC and will take place in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Eastern Conference Finals-The Detroit Pistons lead the Cleveland Caviliers 1 game to 0. Game 2 will take place about 20-30 minutes from now on ESPN I think on the Pistons home floor.

Thanks a lot. O0 I had forgotten.

It doesn't really matter to me who wins, as I have no reservations against any of the four teams. However I'd kinda like to see the Utah Jazz take it in the Western Conference. As for the East, either Detroit or Cleveland is fine with me. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 05/25/07 at 2:12 am

Cavs blew it again, oh well.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/28/07 at 8:52 pm

At least the Jazz came back to win that last game.  They may be down tonight, but it is still early--I have confidence in them to take it.

As for the Cavs, you can have them.  Yeah, they won last night at home, but I still think (ok, want) Detroit to take it.  (The Pistons & Wings are the only pro MI teams worth anything! Makes it hard to root for your state teams, ya know?)

Written By: nally on 05/29/07 at 10:18 pm

At least the Jazz came back to win that last game.  They may be down tonight, but it is still early--I have confidence in them to take it.

As for the Cavs, you can have them.  Yeah, they won last night at home, but I still think (ok, want) Detroit to take it.  (The Pistons & Wings are the only pro MI teams worth anything! Makes it hard to root for your state teams, ya know?)

I've always rooted for my local teams in every sport. Since no California teams are left in the NBA playoffs, it doesn't matter to me who wins the championship.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/30/07 at 9:40 am

I've always rooted for my local teams in every sport. Since no California teams are left in the NBA playoffs, it doesn't matter to me who wins the championship.

I try to be faithful to my local teams, too....but have you ever tried rooting for the Detroit Lions?  It is only possible against the Green Bay Packers!!!!!

Written By: nally on 05/30/07 at 2:53 pm

I try to be faithful to my local teams, too....but have you ever tried rooting for the Detroit Lions? It is only possible against the Green Bay Packers!!!!!

Detroit Lions? No. Probably because they're a football team, and there hasn't been an NFL franchise in Los Angeles since the Rams left for St. Louie in the mid-90's. :-[

So with regards to NBA teams, I've always been loyal to the Lakers, but if the Clippers are around I like to cheer for them too.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/30/07 at 3:14 pm

Detroit Lions? No. Probably because they're a football team, and there hasn't been an NFL franchise in Los Angeles since the Rams left for St. Louie in the mid-90's. :-[

So with regards to NBA teams, I've always been loyal to the Lakers, but if the Clippers are around I like to cheer for them too.

I'm sorry about your Rams.  Do you ever cheer for the Chargers?  (I know they aren't in LA)

My point was simply that it is very difficult to root for a team that is primarily known for consistently losing seasons.    :)  (for most of my lifetime anyway)

Written By: nally on 05/30/07 at 3:18 pm

I'm sorry about your Rams.  Do you ever cheer for the Chargers?  (I know they aren't in LA)

They're in San Diego, so I guess they're the closest NFL franchise. But to be honest with you, I don't follow football very much. My dad does, though, and he cheered for the Rams as a youngster.

My point was simply that it is very difficult to root for a team that is primarily known for consistently losing seasons. :) (for most of my lifetime anyway)

I see. :) In baseball, my L.A. Dodgers were doing that for a time in the mid-80's (1984, '86 and '87)...but they finished on top in 1985 and '88... and went on to win the World Series in the latter year.

Written By: tv on 05/30/07 at 5:47 pm

Well the Pistons(well mostly "Mr Big Shot" i.e. Chauncey Billups) really stunk it up in the last 2 minutes of the game last night in the game against the Cavs. I mean when is the last time you remember Chauncey Billups turning the ball over in the last minute of the game? I can;t remember. Than  the Pistons get a fast break oppotunity and Chauncey takes a "3" that misses in the last 2 minutes of the game off the fast break oppotunity. I think Chauncey's stock has fallen since the Pistons bowed out to the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals last year(2005-2006.) I actually did think Chauncey Billups was the REAL regular season MVP(instead of Steve Nash) for the 2005-2006 NBA regular season in which the Pistons went 64-18 during the 2005-2006 regular season. I don't know the Pistons as a whole just don't look like the same team fundamentally as when they upset the Lakers in the 2004 NBA Finals and went to the NBA Finals against the Spurs in 2005. The pistons of the past 2 playoff seasons always lose interest in keep inferior teams hanging around in playoff series instead of putting them away like Cleveland this year and last year and the Bulls this year. The Pistons are better than this but if Detroit wins this playoff series against Cleveland they cannot lose interest against the Spurs because the Spurs will embarass the heck out of the Pistons if the Pistons lose interest agsainst the Spurs.

Memo to rasheed wallace: Do not throw your head band because you are a lightining rod for refs to call a "T'" on you if you keep on doing that.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/30/07 at 6:01 pm

So Kobe isn't happy and wants to be traded.  They have built the team around him, but he's not happy.  What's the story?

Written By: nally on 05/31/07 at 3:44 pm

So Kobe isn't happy and wants to be traded.  They have built the team around him, but he's not happy.  What's the story?

I wonder which team he'll end up with... ::)

Written By: statsqueen on 05/31/07 at 4:36 pm

Well the Pistons(well mostly "Mr Big Shot" i.e. Chauncey Billups) really stunk it up in the last 2 minutes of the game last night in the game against the Cavs. I mean when is the last time you remember Chauncey Billups turning the ball over in the last minute of the game? I can;t remember. Than  the Pistons get a fast break oppotunity and Chauncey takes a "3" that misses in the last 2 minutes of the game off the fast break oppotunity. I think Chauncey's stock has fallen since the Pistons bowed out to the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals last year(2005-2006.) I actually did think Chauncey Billups was the REAL regular season MVP(instead of Steve Nash) for the 2005-2006 NBA regular season in which the Pistons went 64-18 during the 2005-2006 regular season. I don't know the Pistons as a whole just don't look like the same team fundamentally as when they upset the Lakers in the 2004 NBA Finals and went to the NBA Finals against the Spurs in 2005. The pistons of the past 2 playoff seasons always lose interest in keep inferior teams hanging around in playoff series instead of putting them away like Cleveland this year and last year and the Bulls this year. The Pistons are better than this but if Detroit wins this playoff series against Cleveland they cannot lose interest against the Spurs because the Spurs will embarass the heck out of the Pistons if the Pistons lose interest agsainst the Spurs.

Memo to rasheed wallace: Do not throw your head band because you are a lightining rod for refs to call a "T'" on you if you keep on doing that.

Very well put.  Micah (my daughter) got so frustrated she changed the channel (unheard of in our house).  I watched sporadically (she caved a few times to see if they were finally pulling it together) and it seemed like every time I watched, C was missing a shot.  I watched the beginning for a bit and he missed his first 3 or so shots.  I knew it was going to be a long night at that point.

Written By: nally on 05/31/07 at 11:40 pm

I happened to catch a snippet of the Cleveland-Detroit game on TNT almost an hour ago...they were in a 2nd overtime, with the Pistons taking a lead with < 3 min. left. I didn't get to see anything more, though.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/01/07 at 1:48 am

I happened to catch a snippet of the Cleveland-Detroit game on TNT almost an hour ago...they were in a 2nd overtime, with the Pistons taking a lead with < 3 min. left. I didn't get to see anything more, though.

Cavs won 109-107.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/07 at 11:01 am

I wonder which team he'll end up with... ::)

Oops, he changed his mind.  ???

Written By: Brian06 on 06/01/07 at 4:26 pm

The Cavs better win, this city deserves it we're sick and tired of losing lol.

Written By: tv on 06/01/07 at 4:48 pm

Cavs won 109-107.
You know I think Detroit made a big time mistake 4 years ago in not picking Dwayne Wade or Carmelo Anthony in the NBA Draft but instead they went for Darko Millic and that move may cost them in the next few years because Cleveland is going to be good for at least 10 more years becuse of Lebron. I mean Detroit 2 years ago could get away with not having a LeBron type of player but now they can;t. I think the Pistons if they lose this playoff series against Cleveland may make a big time trade in which they may include Richard Hamilton because he has some big time value. I don't see Chauncey Billups going anywhewre though since his stock has fallen in the last year. You know the more things change the more they stay the same I mean the Pistons were a thorn in Michael Jordan's side from 1988-1990 in which the Pistons beat the Bulls 3 straight years in the playoffs but finally Chicago beat the Pistons in the 1991 NBA playoffs and the owners of the Pistons broke that team up which included Isiah Thomas, John Salley, Bill Lambieer, Joe Dumars and Dennis Rodman. Flash foward to the 2006 NBA Playoffs second round in which Lebron(maybe the Closest thing we have seen to Jordan) force the Pistons to an expected 7 game playoff series and now the Cavs maybe on the verge of breaking(or at least changing) the Pistons team up just like the 1991 Bulls did.

Still Detroit was in this spot last year against Cleveland on Cleveland homecourt and they pulled out a game 6 win so I wouldn't count Detroit out yet but this sort of remind me of 1991 all over again with the Pistons sort of in a way I mean it took Detroit nearly a decade to get back on track to returning to being a top tier team after getting swept by the Bulls in 1991 in the Eastern Conference Finals.

I think the following scenrios will happen if the following happens:

1.) If Detroit beats Cleveland and wins 2 straight games against them the same core of Pistons players that are on the team now will be on the Pistons 2 years from now.

2.) If the Pistons bow out to Cleveland expect some kind of trade for a superstar player(i.e. Kevin Garnett maybe) so Detroit has a go to guy that can score in the low post anytime and they have a have a player to stack up against Lebron.

Written By: statsqueen on 06/01/07 at 4:57 pm

The Cavs better win, this city deserves it we're sick and tired of losing lol.

Brian,

While I appreciate the trouble you went to in the Midwest thread, as a Michigan resident I have to tell you...I understand where you are coming from, but the Pistons are all we have right now!!!  We really need them to win.  The Wings lost to the Ducks, I'm sure the Tigers aren't going to do much, and the Lions?  Well, 'nuff said.    :)

Written By: Apocalyptic Horseman on 06/02/07 at 10:59 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers are going to the NBA Finals.

The world is doomed.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/02/07 at 11:01 pm

Cavs are in the finals!!!!!!! YESSSSSSS!

Written By: statsqueen on 06/03/07 at 8:02 am

Well, that's the end of the basketball season for me.  I don't like either team in the finals.  Now the only Detroit teams I have are the Tigers (which I don't even like baseball) and the Lions.  Heaven help me, it's gonna be a long year.......how long til hoops start again?????  ;)

Written By: nupur on 06/07/07 at 2:20 pm

i find the spurs incredibly boring to watch. go cavs!!

Written By: tv on 06/07/07 at 2:58 pm

i find the spurs incredibly boring to watch. go cavs!!
Well Manu Ginoboli can be exciting to watch at times. The NBA Finals don;t even interest me that much this year I mean if the Pistons were in it I would watch but the Cavs-Spurs I;m not really too interested in watching that.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/07/07 at 10:39 pm

Spurs = solid fundamental basketball = boring. 

Written By: nally on 06/07/07 at 10:42 pm

Did they win tonight? :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 06/08/07 at 3:23 pm

I read on my phone the Cavs lost, hopefully we come back with a win in the next game. Go Cavs! Sadly I'm unable to see them here.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 06/08/07 at 3:49 pm

Yup, Spurs won it. I was hoping the Cavs could win. :-\\

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/12/07 at 7:35 am

The Spurs are a very good team and hard to beat.  I think they have alot going for them over the Cavs just through experience in the finals.  Most of the Spurs players have been to the finals before, I dont know if any of the Cavs players have been there at all.

Im a Utah Jazz fan and am very happy that they made it as far as they did.  Im not sure why they got to play the Warriors in the 2nd round though.  I haven't read the new rules for the playoffs, but the brackets seem kind of wierd to me.  I hope this season wasn't a fluke for the Jazz.  I want to see them continue to get better. 

Im happy Detroit beat the Lakers a few years back in the finals, but cant say im sad that they lost this year.    ;D

Written By: tv on 06/13/07 at 3:45 pm

The Spurs are a very good team and hard to beat.  I think they have alot going for them over the Cavs just through experience in the finals.  Most of the Spurs players have been to the finals before, I dont know if any of the Cavs players have been there at all.

Im a Utah Jazz fan and am very happy that they made it as far as they did.  Im not sure why they got to play the Warriors in the 2nd round though.  I haven't read the new rules for the playoffs, but the brackets seem kind of wierd to me.  I hope this season wasn't a fluke for the Jazz.  I want to see them continue to get better. 

Im happy Detroit beat the Lakers a few years back in the finals, but cant say im sad that they lost this year.    ;D

The Jazz faced the Warriors in the second round because the Warriors who were seeded #8 in the Western Conference went up against the Dallas Mavericks who were seeded #1 in the 1st round of the Playoffs. The Warriors pulled off one of the biggest upsets in NBA History in beating the Maverics 4 games to 2 in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs. They are no new rules for the playoffs in how the teams are seeded the #8 seeded team always plays the #1 seeded team in the 1st round of the playoff in each respective conference(East and West.)

As far as the Jazz go yeah it was this was their best year in awhile but I don't look for the Jazz to go the NBA Finals anytime because the Spurs are going to be good for at least 3 more years.

As far as Detroit is concerned everybody included myself pointed out that Detroit needed a superstar player in the series against the Cavs  in that series to match up with Lebron James but I was wrong I think. The Cavs won because they had a player(i.e. Daniel Gibson) that could come off the bench and score alot of points but Detroit does not have a player like that and hasn;t since Vinnie Johnson 17 years ago. Gibson was the difference maker against the Pistons in Games 4 and 6 whereas Lebron was the diffrerence maker in Game 5 against the Pistons when he scored 48 points in that particular game.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 06/13/07 at 6:16 pm

I'm a Jazz fan, and I'm ticked they were beat of of going to the finals by those dang blasted Spurs. No offense to spurs fans. Now it looks like the Spurs will win the NBA championship. :-X

Written By: nally on 06/13/07 at 9:29 pm

I'm a Jazz fan, and I'm ticked they were beat of of going to the finals by those dang blasted Spurs. No offense to spurs fans. Now it looks like the Spurs will win the NBA championship. :-X

So they're up 3 games to none now? If so, then things ain't lookin' too good for them Cavs. :-\\

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/15/07 at 1:04 am

Spurs = the w1n!

What's disturbing is that Cleveland could have won all four of those games...oh well.

Written By: statsqueen on 06/16/07 at 6:11 pm

Well Manu Ginoboli can be exciting to watch at times. The NBA Finals don;t even interest me that much this year I mean if the Pistons were in it I would watch but the Cavs-Spurs I;m not really too interested in watching that.

I agree with you, tv.  Pistons aren't in it, I didn't pay attention.  If it hadn't been for cnn.com, I wouldn't have known the Spurs swept.  Even though I didn't care enough to watch, I was happy to hear the Cavs got eliminated in 4.

Check for new replies or respond here...