inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beckham to sign with LA Galaxy

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 9:54 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-beckhamdc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Excellent. This is just the kind of injection the MLS needs to really solidify it'self as a major player in the football world.

Subject: Re: Beckham to sign with LA Galaxy

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/07 at 4:21 pm

Am I bothered?

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 4:30 pm

Am I bothered?

That would all depend on how much of a fan you are.

Those who like to complain about A-Rod's salary of 25.1 million per year.... Beckham will be paid $25,600,000 (25.6 million) per year. He will play around 30 games, A-Rod plays around 160.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 4:34 pm

That would all depend on how much of a fan you are.

Those who like to complain about A-Rod's salary of 25.1 million per year.... Beckham will be paid $25,600,000 (25.6 million) per year. He will play around 30 games, A-Rod plays around 160.  ;D

I'm sorry. I got this wrong. His salary will 25.6 million Pounds per year!  :o :o I believe this will make him possibly the highest paid sportsman ever? I'm going to have to look in to it.

At the current exchange rate his

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/11/07 at 4:37 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-beckhamdc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Excellent. This is just the kind of injection the MLS needs to really solidify it'self as a major player in the football world.

But Beckham seems to have lost all his skills nowdays,just look how poorly he did with Real,i think the L.A Galaxy are being robbed,1million per week :o How much more money can that man make???

I guess among the blind a one-eyed man is king  :D

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 5:15 pm

But Beckham seems to have lost all his skills nowdays,just look how poorly he did with Real,i think the L.A Galaxy are being robbed,1million per week :o How much more money can that man make???

I guess among the blind a one-eyed man is king  :D

You're damn right the one eyed man is King. haha. I think he is being bought mainly for star-appeal than anything.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/11/07 at 10:49 pm

He can't make soccer in the US what it is overseas.  He just can't.  He'll make it interesting for a while, but Americans have other sports to watch.

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 6:05 am

He can't make soccer in the US what it is overseas.  He just can't.  He'll make it interesting for a while, but Americans have other sports to watch.

The only sports that's as good as FOOTBALL (It's not bloody soccer) is Baseball. Then everything else is secondary.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/12/07 at 6:19 am

The only sports that's as good as FOOTBALL (It's not bloody soccer) is Baseball. Then everything else is secondary.

Americans have a hard time with sports that don't require using the hands lol
Foot work is so underrated in the US,it's shame really 'cause footbal is such an exciting sport to watch :)

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 6:28 am

Americans have a hard time with sports that don't require using the hands lol
Foot work is so underrated in the US,it's shame really 'cause footbal is such an exciting sport to watch :)

It's really growing in popularity thankfully. So many kids now play football. I've said before I think, in 10 years it will be exceptionally popular.

Written By: Paul on 01/12/07 at 7:04 am

I think he is being bought mainly for star-appeal than anything.

Good luck to him...

He'd better rake in as much cash now, as I can't see his punditry skills being much cop (a la Lineker...)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/12/07 at 8:02 am

Good luck to him...

He'd better rake in as much cash now, as I can't see his punditry skills being much cop (a la Lineker...)

Not with that wonderful speaking voice he has, Paul  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 8:24 am

Good luck to him...

I think $1,000,000 a week will see him good.

Written By: Gis on 01/12/07 at 10:22 am

This comes as no surprise cocidering Posh has been house hunting in L.A for the last couple of months. ::)
I wonder how much him being crap at Real had to do with HER hating Spain..............

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 10:59 am

This comes as no surprise cocidering Posh has been house hunting in L.A for the last couple of months. ::)
I wonder how much him being crap at Real had to do with HER hating Spain..............

Not much. Who'd wanna live in Spain? Blech!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/12/07 at 11:08 am

Sorry, over here it's soccer.  Football is the sport that Tom Brady plays.

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 11:18 am

Sorry, over here it's soccer.  Football is the sport that Tom Brady plays.

Tom Brady is a pussy and everyone knows that. I can't wait until next year when my man Michael Strahan comes back from injury and sacks THE!!! SHEIT! out of his punk ass!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/12/07 at 12:28 pm

Tom Brady is a pussy and everyone knows that. I can't wait until next year when my man Michael Strahan comes back from injury and sacks THE!!! SHEIT! out of his punk ass!

That is irrelevent. 

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 12:31 pm

That is irrelevent. 

Most of what I say is. Point is. Beckham signing for LA paves the way for more big name players to come over to the states.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/07 at 12:36 pm

Most of what I say is. Point is. Beckham signing for LA paves the way for more big name players to come over to the states.
Big named footie stars have been over to the States before, I seem to remember the late and great Bobby Moore playing a few seasons over there.

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 12:42 pm

Big named footie stars have been over to the States before, I seem to remember the late and great Bobby Moore playing a few seasons over there.

Pele and Lothar Mattheus to name a couple of others. That was in the old North American Football League which collapsed. The main reason big names haven't moved to the MLS yet is because the league was establishing it'self. Now attendance is consistent, there is a reasonably large fan base nationwide, they can start to invest serious money.

Written By: Paul on 01/12/07 at 2:16 pm

Not with that wonderful speaking voice he has, Paul  ;)

Tell me about it...he talks worser than what I does...

Possibly the most opportunic piece of punditry was someone's bright idea of hauling in Paul Gascoigne for the 2002 World Cup...

Subtitles had to be included for those living south of Sheffield...

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/12/07 at 5:02 pm

You got a good point there.
Becks wears shorts,Posh wears the pants i believe she says "Let's go,David!" at least once every hour ;D

Not much. Who'd wanna live in Spain? Blech!

I'm :o What gives?Maybe an Holiday in Spain that went sour?

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 5:05 pm

I'm :o What gives?Maybe an Holiday in Spain that went sour?

Yup, been there a couple of times and just.. it does nothing for me. I much preferred Portugal.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/12/07 at 5:11 pm

Yup, been there a couple of times and just.. it does nothing for me. I much preferred Portugal.

Ah i loved Spain,you gotta love a country that stops after lunch so people can sleep,i miss the siesta :(

Where have you been there?

Wait let me pm you...after all this thread is about Beckham ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 7:36 pm

sorry...but nobody should be making THIS much money...no matter how good at something they are....for the love of God...there are people starving, and he's making that much money.....this disgusts me. >:(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/12/07 at 7:44 pm

sorry...but nobody should be making THIS much money...no matter how good at something they are....for the love of God...there are people starving, and he's making that much money.....this disgusts me. >:(

I'm sorry Erin, but it's not his fault there are starving people in the world.  Nor should he be penalized because there are starving people in the world.  If he is worth that kind of money and the owners want to give him that kind of money, then he should get that kind of money.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 7:49 pm

I'm sorry Erin, but it's not his fault there are starving people in the world.  Nor should he be penalized because there are starving people in the world.  If he is worth that kind of money and the owners want to give him that kind of money, then he should get that kind of money.

nobody is worth THAT much money. It's asinine that people in this world are allowed to earn that much money. I think there should definitely be a cap on how much any athlete, actor, musician, etc. should be able to make.  What the hell makes them so special that they deserve to make THAT much money? There are plenty of people out there who are just as good as them, if not better...they just don't have the luck of being discovered as some do. I have always disagreed with the ridiculous amount of money that "famous" people make.  It's really sad.  I know it's not his fault that there are people in poverty....but all I am saying is that in a world where certain individuals CANNOT get ahead, no matter what they try to do (been there, done that).....and other people don't even know where their next meal is coming from....NOBODY should be making that kind of money. What in the heck does one person even need all that money for....I mean, he can literally buy anything he wants...over and over again...is it really necessary?

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 7:58 pm

nobody is worth THAT much money. It's asinine that people in this world are allowed to earn that much money. I think there should definitely be a cap on how much any athlete, actor, musician, etc. should be able to make.  What the hell makes them so special that they deserve to make THAT much money? There are plenty of people out there who are just as good as them, if not better...they just don't have the luck of being discovered as some do. I have always disagreed with the ridiculous amount of money that "famous" people make.  It's really sad.  I know it's not his fault that there are people in poverty....but all I am saying is that in a world where certain individuals CANNOT get ahead, no matter what they try to do (been there, done that).....and other people don't even know where their next meal is coming from....NOBODY should be making that kind of money. What in the heck does one person even need all that money for....I mean, he can literally buy anything he wants...over and over again...is it really necessary?

Well, the fact that he is the most recognisable face in the most watched sport in the world (roughly 2 billion people watch football games every week) suggests the fan base he attracts is worth more than that to the league and therefor the U.S economy over a 5 year period. There are over 60,000,000 people in the United States who lay some claim to a hispanic heritage.. you think they give a sh.it about Ice Hockey?  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/12/07 at 7:59 pm

Speaking only on what I know, Alex Rodriguez's contract is worth about the same as Beckhams' and he gives quite a bit of it to charity.  Some of it is tied up in stocks and bonds and other investments.  He gets about $16 mil a year and most of that money isn't spent on himself.  He's a first-ballot HOF'er and one of the best players in the game right now.  To say he should get LESS is not right.  I don't think it's asinine to give people what they're worth relative to their abilities to perform their jobs. 

Again I'll reiterate, I do think some people make too much money for their given profession, but to say that because there are people who CAN'T make that kind of money, therefore no one should, doesn't sit well with me.  Other people in the world and their situations in life should not dictate what celebrities are paid for their services.  If they want to give Beckham that kind of money, that's their prerogative.  He's only one of the best soccer players in the world.....one could easily say that he deserves the money.  As another point, the bulk of that money is actually tied up in endorsements, if you read the contract.  He's not physically getting paid that much money to kick a soccer ball around.  Unlike in MLB because of the Players' Union, most of his salary is tied up in endorsement contracts.  If those sponsors want to give him that kind of money to represent their product, let them.  It's their money. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 8:03 pm

Speaking only on what I know, Alex Rodriguez's contract is worth about the same as Beckhams' and he gives quite a bit of it to charity.  Some of it is tied up in stocks and bonds and other investments.  He gets about $16 mil a year and most of that money isn't spent on himself.  He's a first-ballot HOF'er and one of the best players in the game right now.  To say he should get LESS is not right.  I don't think it's asinine to give people what they're worth relative to their abilities to perform their jobs. 

Again I'll reiterate, I do think some people make too much money for their given profession, but to say that because there are people who CAN'T make that kind of money, therefore no one should, doesn't sit well with me.  Other people in the world and their situations in life should not dictate what celebrities are paid for their services.  If they want to give Beckham that kind of money, that's their prerogative.  He's only one of the best soccer players in the world.....one could easily say that he deserves the money.  As another point, the bulk of that money is actually tied up in endorsements, if you read the contract.  He's not physically getting paid that much money to kick a soccer ball around.  Unlike in MLB because of the Players' Union, most of his salary is tied up in endorsement contracts.  If those sponsors want to give him that kind of money to represent their product, let them.  It's their money. 

It's just sad that someone's fame is able generate that much money.  I'm not discriminating against Beckham...I am speaking of all "famous people", really. Yes, there are a LOT of talented people out there, but there are even MORE talented people out there who never get discovered. Why is it that the chosen few get to reap all of the benefits of this vast amount of money...while the rest of us have to sit back and watch them live in the life of luxury, whenever, some of "us" that are watching them...are just as good, if not better. That is what gets to me the most I think.  Why is it that "some" people have it all...and "others" have nothing?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/12/07 at 8:09 pm

It's just sad that someone's fame is able generate that much money.  I'm not discriminating against Beckham...I am speaking of all "famous people", really. Yes, there are a LOT of talented people out there, but there are even MORE talented people out there who never get discovered. Why is it that the chosen few get to reap all of the benefits of this vast amount of money...while the rest of us have to sit back and watch them live in the life of luxury, whenever, some of "us" that are watching them...are just as good, if not better. That is what gets to me the most I think.  Why is it that "some" people have it all...and "others" have nothing?

Because they're smart enough to get the money.  That's not to say that everyone else is stupid, but to command that kind of money, a level of shrewdness and business acumen is required.  You also need to be in the right place at the right time.  That's what separates the David Beckhams in the world from the faceless names at the local park.  Undiscovered people are undiscovered people.  They don't control the market.  Players in the minor leagues who are better than current major league talent don't set the bar for what owners pay the big-league players.  That's reverse economics. 

The people, be they musicians, actors or athletes, who make that kind of money are some of the best at their chosen field.

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 8:12 pm

Why is it that "some" people have it all...and "others" have nothing?

Rugged Individualism.

What you're talking about is essentially the basis of communism. I'm not trying to be funny with you Erin. The whole basis of the capitalist society is that if you can do something to a higher standard than others, you can command a higher $ figure. It's the way the game is played.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 8:15 pm

Rugged Individualism.

What you're talking about is essentially the basis of communism. I'm not trying to be funny with you Erin. The whole basis of the capitalist society is that if you can do something to a higher standard than others, you can command a higher $ figure. It's the way the game is played.

The game sucks. :-\\

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 8:17 pm

'Stop The World - I wanna get off'  ;)

But hey, life's a bitch and then you die.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/12/07 at 8:18 pm

So should people get less than they deserve just because other people who can do the same thing at the same level don't get anything at all?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 8:18 pm

'Stop The World - I wanna get off'  ;)

But hey, life's a bitch and then you die.

I can't wait until I do.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/12/07 at 8:19 pm

I can't wait until I do.

I'm confused and a little scared of this statement.  Are you saying you can't wait for your life to be over or you can't wait for your situation to end?

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 8:20 pm

So should people get less than they deserve just because other people who can do the same thing at the same level don't get anything at all?

I think it's safe to say that Albert Pujols is a better first baseman than Jason Giambi. Giambi earns more than twice as much. Is that unfair? No. It's a matter of circumstance.

I can't wait until I do.

Oh, now cut that out. That's a load of BS and you know it, it's just been a crappy week.  :-*

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/12/07 at 8:22 pm

I think it's safe to say that Albert Pujols is a better first baseman than Jason Giambi. Giambi earns more than twice as much. Is that unfair? No. It's a matter of circumstance.

Jason got the contract he did at the time he did because he was an MVP, had great numbers.  The fact he's not playing at that level now and someone like Pujols is and NOT getting that kind of money is unfair, but you also have to look at the markets when they were signed. 

For example, look at all the crazy free-agent signings this off-season.  Zito got $126 MILLION DOLLARS.  $126 MILLION DOLLARS. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 8:22 pm

I'm confused and a little scared of this statement.  Are you saying you can't wait for your life to be over or you can't wait for your situation to end?

I guess whatever happens to come first.  I just am stressed to the point that I can hardly handle it anymore...and I am letting it shine through in my posts.  I'm just sick of being frustrated...trying to get ahead...and when I see people making money of this caliber...it depresses me even more. That's why I am so against it, I suppose.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 8:24 pm

Oh, now cut that out. That's a load of BS and you know it, it's just been a crappy week.  :-*

ya, it really, really has. ;)

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 8:25 pm

Jason got the contract he did at the time he did because he was an MVP, had great numbers.  The fact he's not playing at that level now and someone like Pujols is and NOT getting that kind of money is unfair, but you also have to look at the markets when they were signed. 

For example, look at all the crazy free-agent signings this off-season.  Zito got $126 MILLION DOLLARS.  $126 MILLION DOLLARS. 

Right, he got the contract based on what he did at the time and his past record, like Beckham. Real Madrid and Manchester United have earnt hundreds of millions from Beckham in terms of advertising, ticket sales and merchandise, he's a global brand name. He's getting paid an insane amount as an investment.

ya, it really, really has. ;)

..and so adapt to the unknown, under wandering stars you'll roam, by yourself but not alone.  ;)

Written By: tv on 01/14/07 at 3:40 pm

Erin, I agree with you even as a sports fan I think athletes are getting paid way too much money. In my opinion if you want to blame sports figures for getting these big contracts like Beckham just recieved blame the owners of these teams that are willing give these athletes these big contracts.

Anyway, back to talking about David Beckham the guy is now more now known as a celebrity rather than a soccer player. Beckham was a model  a couple years ago for guys that were coined as being metrosexual when the whole Metrosexual thing was "in" a few years ago. Add to the fact he has a beautiful wife too which makes him more of a celebrity.

I don;t know maybe some of these posters on this thread are from overseas where Beckham is well known since I'm from the US but the paragraph above was my opinion of Beckham.

Check for new replies or respond here...