inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What I hate about pro sports.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/04/07 at 2:57 pm

Other than the obscene amounts of money mediocre athletes make, what I hate about pro sports is;

Baseball: On a tag play, if the ball beats the runner to the base he is out regardless if an actual tag was made.
            On a double play the fielder only has to be near the bag with the ball to get the out.
            No consistent strike zone .
            Games take too long.

Basketball: Thug mentality.
              Walking is almost nonexistant.
              Palming the ball is nonexistant.
              inconsistent foul calling.
              Too long of a season.

Hockey: New rules
            Shoot out
            Too Long of a season.

Football: There is holding on every play, the refs usually call it to nullify a big play.
            players are adopting a thug mentality.

What I really hate about all the sports is that the players are unapproachable. They all want to charge a fee just
for signing their name.

Subject: Re: What I hate about pro sports.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/04/07 at 3:07 pm

Other than the obscene amounts of money mediocre athletes make, what I hate about pro sports is;

Baseball: On a tag play, if the ball beats the runner to the base he is out regardless if an actual tag was made.
            On a double play the fielder only has to be near the bag with the ball to get the out.
            Games take too long.

I don't know about that, whenever I see a double play on TV the first out always touches the bag...and on tag plays, the tag actually HAS to happen or else it's no out.  I'm not sure if you're talking about a steal attempt or a man advancing on a flyout, but in those cases, I've never seen a guy called out unless the tag is made (or if it at least looks close).

Shoot out
            Too Long of a season.

The shootout is great, it forces a win :)

All sports have seasons that run too long though, that's for sure...and the problem with pro sports is that the athletes are paid so much that it encourages kids to say "to heck with school" and concentrate on athletics for a one in a million shot at the big time...

Written By: loki 13 on 03/04/07 at 5:09 pm

I don't know about that, whenever I see a double play on TV the first out always touches the bag...and on tag plays, the tag actually HAS to happen or else it's no out.  I'm not sure if you're talking about a steal attempt or a man advancing on a flyout, but in those cases, I've never seen a guy called out unless the tag is made (or if it at least looks close).

The shootout is great, it forces a win :)

All sports have seasons that run too long though, that's for sure...and the problem with pro sports is that the athletes are paid so much that it encourages kids to say "to heck with school" and concentrate on athletics for a one in a million shot at the big time...

On the double play, I'm referring to a 4-6-3 double play. How many times have you seen a shortstop leave the bag a split second
before he catches the ball to make a good throw to first.

On a tag play, I'm referring to a baseman when he swipes at the runner sliding. It happened today, I won't mention the team
because I don't want the wrath of Beth, but the third baseman swiped at the advancing base runner. He missed the tag by
a few inches but the runner was called out. The ball arrived well ahead of the runner but a good slide prevented the tag, he
was called out anyway.

On The shoot outs, I hate the fact that a good, hard played game by both teams comes down to an individual effort.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/04/07 at 5:40 pm

It's called the "neighborhood rule".  Every team benefits from it, not just mine. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/04/07 at 5:46 pm

I dig what you be saying then.

I suppose it's kind of hard for blind umps to call it right all of the time :D

Written By: loki 13 on 03/04/07 at 6:03 pm

It's called the "neighborhood rule".  Every team benefits from it, not just mine. 

I know all teams benefit, but it seems like a very large neighborhood.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/04/07 at 6:10 pm

I know all teams benefit, but it seems like a very large neighborhood.  ;D

It's not, really.  I mean, if it's super-close the umps will go for it, especially if it's at the home team's park....but if it's not even close WITH the neighborhood rule...they won't use it.  Umps are fairly good about it, no matter how much a player protests that they applied the tag.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/04/07 at 6:31 pm

It's not, really.  I mean, if it's super-close the umps will go for it, especially if it's at the home team's park....but if it's not even close WITH the neighborhood rule...they won't use it.  Umps are fairly good about it, no matter how much a player protests that they applied the tag.

It was funny looking down the third base line and seeing a familiar face because as far as a "neighborhood rule" was concerned
Larry Bowa wasn't allowed in it.  ;D  When he played shortstop for the Phillies he was ejected out of more than one game
because an ump said he was off the bag turning a double play..He would argue vehemently so I guess he was scrutinized more
than anyone else.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/05/07 at 6:34 pm

Agents

Written By: tv on 03/05/07 at 11:28 pm

Games take too long.

Basketball: Thug mentality.
               Walking is almost nonexistant.
               Palming the ball is nonexistant.
               inconsistent foul calling.
               Too long of a season.

Shoot out
            Too Long of a season.

Football: There is holding on every play, the refs usually call it to nullify a big play.
             players are adopting a thug mentality.

What I really hate about all the sports is that the players are unapproachable. They all want to charge a fee just
for signing their name.

Basketball not all the players have a thug mentality. Players like Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Lebron James do not have a thug mentality. I agree about the inconsistent foul calling though.

My main complaint is what happened to players moving wtihout the ball in order to try to get wide open for a shot? Players just stand around the paint area nowdays while the big man on their team backs down somebody in the post. I mean Reggie Miller, Michael Jordan, and even Jeff Hornacek moved without the ball in order to get an open shot. Whatever happened to that?

Also palming the ball thats against the rules now. I agree to long of a season though.

Football: Again with the thing mentality? Not all the players are bad guys. LaDanian Thomlinson of the Chargers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do not have a thug mentality. I think some of the players are selfish but not all of them. There is not holding on every play.

Baseball: I agree too long of a season and no consistent strike zone. Wasn;t the progam called "qestec" or something that came out a few years supposed to take care of the inconsistent strike zone problem? I guess the program "questec" didn;t take care of the problem. I agree the games are too long as well.

Hockey: I don;t care about it anymore.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/06/07 at 9:18 am

You can't even WATCH hockey anymore!  How can you care about something you can't even watch?

:\'(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/06/07 at 11:55 am

The thing about basketball that I hate is that athletes who are paid so much can't even hit a darned free throw.  Come on.  It's a FREE throw.  Like, it's a gimme.  No guy in your face, you are already set, you can take your time...well, the ten second rule is on the books but nobody follows it but that's another matter :P

All basketball players should be forced to practice free throws until they are consistently 70%. 

Written By: tv on 03/06/07 at 1:27 pm

The thing about basketball that I hate is that athletes who are paid so much can't even hit a darned free throw.  Come on.  It's a FREE throw.  Like, it's a gimme.  No guy in your face, you are already set, you can take your time...well, the ten second rule is on the books but nobody follows it but that's another matter :P

Its something psychogical or I think it could be a wrong shooting stroke if a player is missing foul shots constantly. I mean LeBron James is shooting 67% from the foul line this year I think. I think its something psychogical that he can hit free throws on a consistent basis this year I think.

As for the players getting paid all that money thats not the players fault its the owners who give the players all this money. Keep in mind too while the players are rich they didn;t get all that money of the contract. Some of that money goes to their agent and some of it goes to taxes as well.

Written By: limblifter on 03/06/07 at 6:32 pm

Shoot out
            Too Long of a season.

IMO the elimination of the two line pass, the shoot out, stricter enforcment of the rules (especially hooking) has created some of the best hockey we've seen in years. The clutching and grabbing of the 90s slowed the game down to the point where it was almost unbearable to watch a game.

The only rule that I think has to go is the instigator rule. With the instigator rule too many lower calibre players are taking cheap shots at the star players without any fear of retribution.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/06/07 at 7:21 pm

IMO the elimination of the two line pass, the shoot out, stricter enforcment of the rules (especially hooking) has created some of the best hockey we've seen in years. The clutching and grabbing of the 90s slowed the game down to the point where it was almost unbearable to watch a game.

The only rule that I think has to go is the instigator rule. With the instigator rule too many lower calibre players are taking cheap shots at the star players without any fear of retribution.

I'm a hockey purist, I began watching hockey in the early '70s. A time when 3-2 was a high scoring game. I will agree that
the New Jersey Devils trap of the '90s was boring to watch and something had to be done. I just wish they went the
other way with it. It just seems now that you can't even hit a guy without the arm going up. It's a European game now,
I can watch it, I'm just not thrilled with it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/06/07 at 7:25 pm

I'll always love hockey, whether it's on TV again or not.  I've been a Red Wings fan for so long, I've lost count.  I hate the shoot-outs though.  Win, lose or tie.  Go back to that.  And get rid of the points system, and fix it.  2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss.  If you lose in overtime.....that's a loss, it's 0 points. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/06/07 at 7:43 pm

I'll always love hockey, whether it's on TV again or not.  I've been a Red Wings fan for so long, I've lost count.  I hate the shoot-outs though.  Win, lose or tie.  Go back to that.  And get rid of the points system, and fix it.  2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss.  If you lose in overtime.....that's a loss, it's 0 points. 

I think they should have no ties.  That's why the shoot-out is so exciting.  I like the marathon overtimes during playoff hockey though.

Anyway, win = 2 points, loss/OT loss/shootout loss = 0 points.

And professional basketball players should still shoot 70% at the line.  They get paid too darned much to have "psychological problems" :P

Written By: limblifter on 03/07/07 at 8:00 am

I'm a hockey purist, I began watching hockey in the early '70s. A time when 3-2 was a high scoring game. I will agree that
the New Jersey Devils trap of the '90s was boring to watch and something had to be done. I just wish they went the
other way with it. It just seems now that you can't even hit a guy without the arm going up. It's a European game now,
I can watch it, I'm just not thrilled with it.

I haven't seen a player get called for a penalty simply by hitting someone. The only way the players will get called is if they are setting up a screen, or hitting someone before they have the puck.

I'll even go as far to say that these new rules have helped open the game up to harder, cleaner, open ice hits. Gone are the days when a player could simply hunker down and skate along the boards untouched while his teamate would pick off oncoming checks.

I agree with the others about eliminating the three point game. But I still like the shoot-out. If you've been to an NHL game during a shoot-out you'd be hard pressed to find one person who is not standing up cheering. It's very exciting to see live.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/08/07 at 12:20 am

Normally I don't complain too much about sports, but...

The way the officials ran and called the 2007 Daytona 500 was utterly fubared.

Because they want exciting races, they red flagged the race with like 2 laps to go to clean up debris from a wreck. Ending the race under caution would have been sensible.

NASCAR has no sense though. Everyone wants an exciting finish, and they got one. There was a 2 lap shoot-out. On the last lap, there was a pretty horrible accident that resulted in about 20 cars being total losses, probably costing the teams close to 10 million dollars in equipment.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the leaders raced back to the line, when NASCAR should have thrown the caution and frozen the field. Mark Martin should have won that race.

Here's a video clip of the final 2 laps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngu95gKL_1s

The race may have "officially" ended under caution, but throwing flags after passing the checkered flag is pointless.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/08/07 at 12:38 pm

Strikes.  When men who make millions of dollars a year to play a freaking game go on strike.  If they're so unsatisfied with what they're being paid, maybe they should get a real job and stop whining.

Drama.  Last night I was watching this NFL follies show, and at the end it showed a bunch of great plays but there was this choir singing some epic song in the background.  It's football, not opera, people.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/13/07 at 8:59 pm

Not a huge Baseball fan, and can't stand Football or Basketball--both sports bore me--I watch the Cardinals if they are in the playoffs (Baseball) and every now and then I'll check on how the Rams or Chiefs are doing in Football, but I never watch, stop go stop go stop go. . .Puke. . .Basketball has never interested me as a fan and the attitudes of 90% of the players is just not entertaining. . .

Now Hockey, I've grown up as a hockey lover and I like most of the new rules, but hate some too . . .

The instigator rule is awful, they are talking about getting rid of it though.

Hockey used to be tough, now they call too many penalties--it's still tougher than other sports but they are giving in to people who say Hockey is too rough, da da da, guess what, those people will never be hockey fans. . .so to that I say blah. . .Let them play unless they truely break the rules.

I can't stand the new point system whatsoever. . .I agree with no ties, however if you are going to do that it should be that winning in regulation is worth 3 points, a win in overtime or shootout is worth 2 Points, and a loss in overtime is worth 1.  3 Point games right now mean both teams benefit which shows in the west. . .it has made the stretch very uncompetitive in the west, and catching up even marginal deficits in the standings is darn near impossible because teams know, they get to overtime and they get a point.  Sometimes when it's tied at the end you see teams deliberately just trying to stay in it.  It sucks. . .by having winning in regulation worth more than winning in overtime, you'd make it to where there is a big incentive to win in regulation.  I'd rather bring back ties than stick with the current point system. . .I hate the current point system, but honestly, I think we need to encourage winning in regulation. . .if you get a point for losing in overtime, that's if they keep that, they should make it to where winning in regulation is worth more so that all games are worth the same amount of points.  Some teams are only in the playoff hunt right now because of overtime, and that's not right. . .while teams that are really strong in regulation--especially in the east--may be out because of when they lost. . .I think it needs to be revisited.

Agrees with Red Ant on Nascar. . .I think the sport however has grown faster than officiating could keep up and that one will be fixed in the future. . .

soccer I find to be of more interest (or Football in the rest of the world) than the other three "Big 4" here in America.

Bowling is still the most fun to play, but watching it is a bore.

Written By: tv on 03/15/07 at 12:13 pm

Everybody has talked about NASCAR the last couple of posts and the only problem I have NASCAR is that a car owner like Jack Roush is allowed to own 5 teams and Rick Hendrick owns 4 teams. Thats ridiculous in my opinion because there should be a cap on how many teams a car owner can own I say 2 or 3 cars an owner can own and thats it. I think somebody owning 4 or more cars is ridiculous now. I would like a salary cap in NASCAR on how much a team owner can spend but I don;t think that that will ever happen because the sport itself is too complicated for that due too the fact that unlike other sports your not paying an individual player because in NASCAR you have to pay the guys at the shop that work prepare the cars for the races every weekend, you have to pay crew members, sponsors, and the driver.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/18/07 at 5:32 pm

Keeping on the NASCAR theme, I hate that the rookie drivers are handed everything. They no longer
have to work their way up the ranks. Now I can add another rookie driver to my "I can't stand" list."
He's a rookie to NASCAR, not to racing but Juan Pablo Montoya has made my list. Getting mad at a
lapped car for making him loose at the end of the race. BOO-HOO Juan, should everyone stop racing
for your benefit. The car racing him, even though he is a lap down, is fighting for position in the points
race. So until they change the points system back to the way it was, which they won't, suck it up Juan
and drive the car, stop crying, or one of the veterans will make sure you see the wall at every track.

Written By: tv on 03/18/07 at 7:05 pm

Keeping on the NASCAR theme, I hate that the rookie drivers are handed everything. They no longer
have to work their way up the ranks. Now I can add another rookie driver to my "I can't stand" list."
He's a rookie to NASCAR, not to racing but Juan Pablo Montoya has made my list. Getting mad at a
lapped car for making him loose at the end of the race. BOO-HOO Juan, should everyone stop racing
for your benefit. The car racing him, even though he is a lap down, is fighting for position in the points
race. So until they change the points system back to the way it was, which they won't, suck it up Juan
and drive the car, stop crying, or one of the veterans will make sure you see the wall at every track.
As far as rookie getted handed everything I don;t know though dohave to go through the Busch Series or Craftsman Truck Series to move up to NASCAR so they are really not handed everything to them right away.

As far as Juan Montoya whining about a lapped car making him loose he said that the lapped car was making him loose on the teams radio(the radio he uses to communicate with his team) it wasn;t like he complained after the race about the lapped car making him loose to reporters. I myself would have agreed with your point that its ridicolous about him complaining about a lapped car if Juan had complained to TV reporters about it.

Written By: wildcard on 04/01/07 at 6:16 pm

I am not a NASCAR fan.  I use to like baseball as a kid, but it seems these days that theres so much trading going on that teams don't stay as teams. 

Written By: loki 13 on 04/01/07 at 9:00 pm

Now it's Jeff Gordon's turn to whine. I'm a Jeff Gordon fan but what he complained about after the race at Martinsville
was ridiculous. He whined about his Teammate, Jimmy Johnson, blocking him too much at the end of the race. Jimmy
Johnson did what every other race car driver would have done to win a race. So, Gordon, push him out of the
way and win the race or sit back and accept a 2nd place finish, either way ---- STOP WHINING.

Written By: limblifter on 04/30/07 at 4:52 pm

I hate classless NASCAR fans who feel the need to throw beer bottles at a driver just because they don't like him.

Written By: tv on 04/30/07 at 10:18 pm

I hate classless NASCAR fans who feel the need to throw beer bottles at a driver just because they don't like him.
I agree the fans at Talledega Superspeedway shouldn't have thrown beer cans at Jeff Gordon after he won the NASCAR race in Talladega, Alabama yesterday and it was a classless act. The(classless reasons) why the fans yesterday threw the beer cans was because Gordon broke moved past the late Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s on the All-time NASCAR victories list on what would have been Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s birthday(yesterday.) The other reasons why the fans threw beer bottles at Gordon's car was because before Gordon became a popular NASCAR driver NASCAR was basically a southern region spectator sport but when Gordon started to get popular with all the endorsement deals NASCAR became "commercialized" if you in which NASCAR lost its Southern routes and some of the NASCAR fans in the south don;t like that at all. Finally, I think alot of fans at Talladega yesterday were hardcore Dale Earnhardt Sr. fans as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...