inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2007 domestic English cricket season

Written By: Bobo on 04/18/07 at 1:32 pm

Possibly just a place for me to geek out. But who knows.

Six matches start off today, while Sussex attempt to retain their 2006 title-winning form. Derbyshire's new Kolpak signing Ian Harvey makes a century on the opening day of his debut for the team. Meanwhile Leicestershire have made a moderately strong start to the opening day, John Maunders hitting an impossibly strong 82 before being unexpectedly caught. Kent are bowling like losers and giving Sussex every chance to blow them apart.

Subject: Re: 2007 domestic English cricket season

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/07 at 2:17 pm

Owais Shah playing for Middlesex against Somerset made an impressive 160 not out, with a chance of continuing tomorrow.

BTW, I was watching Sussex last Saturday at Lord's playing the MCC in a friendly match.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/07 at 6:13 pm

County Championship Division One

Surrey v Yorkshire at The Oval - Apr 18-21, 2007
Yorkshire won by 346 runs
Yorkshire 594/9d and 266/7d; Surrey 344 and 170

Sussex v Kent at Hove - Apr 18-21, 2007
Sussex won by 8 wickets
Kent 216 and 349; Sussex 510 and 57/2

Warwickshire v Lancashire at Birmingham - Apr 18-21, 2007
Match drawn
Warwickshire 490 and 189/7d; Lancashire 333 and 189/3

Worcestershire v Durham at Worcester - Apr 18-21, 2007
Durham won by 241 runs
Durham 313 and 416; Worcestershire 191 and 297

County Championship Division Two

Essex v Derbyshire at Chelmsford - Apr 18-21, 2007
Match drawn
Derbyshire 551 and 231/3d; Essex 407 and 131/3

Nottinghamshire v Leicestershire at Nottingham - Apr 18-21, 2007
Nottinghamshire won by 9 wickets
Leicestershire 299 and 311; Nottinghamshire 500 and 112/1

Somerset v Middlesex at Taunton - Apr 18-21, 2007
Match drawn
Middlesex 600/4d and 209/2; Somerset 850/7d

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/07 at 2:04 am

Surrey set a new one-day world record as they piled up an astonishing 496-4 from 50 overs against Gloucestershire in their FP Trophy game at The Oval.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/07 at 2:07 am

County Championship Division One

Surrey v Hampshire at The Oval - Apr 25-28, 2007
Hampshire won by 35 runs
Hampshire 481/9d and 224/1d; Surrey 203 and 467

Warwickshire v Sussex at Birmingham - Apr 25-27, 2007
Warwickshire won by an innings and 34 runs
Warwickshire 391; Sussex 151 and 206 (f/o)

Yorkshire v Durham at Leeds - Apr 25-27, 2007
Yorkshire won by 9 wickets
Durham 274 and 169; Yorkshire 414 and 30/1

County Championship Division Two

Essex v Glamorgan at Chelmsford - Apr 25-28, 2007
Essex won by an innings and 7 runs
Essex 584/7d; Glamorgan 394 and 183 (f/o)

Gloucestershire v Nottinghamshire at Bristol - Apr 25-28, 2007
Nottinghamshire won by 51 runs
Nottinghamshire 399 and 333/5d; Gloucestershire 328 and 353

Leicestershire v Somerset at Leicester - Apr 25-28, 2007
Somerset won by 198 runs
Somerset 357 and 376; Leicestershire 385 and 150

Middlesex v Northamptonshire at Lord's - Apr 25-28, 2007
Middlesex won by 154 runs
Middlesex 258 and 362; Northamptonshire 211 and 255

Written By: Bobo on 06/05/07 at 9:52 pm

Well, the season so far..

My second team Derbyshire hit a record 801-8 declared just a month ago. They're somewhat languishing in midtable after three draws from five games, though they have handed a debut to one of the most promising-looking cricketers from a non-Test playing nation that I've seen for a good few years in Frederik Klokker. Those with good cricketing memories will recall that one of the last Danish players to play in the big leagues once again played for Derbyshire, the great Ole (nicknamed Stan) Mortensen.

Worcestershire, a cricket team whose ground I must have gone past about 1,000 times in the last two years, in New Road, only a stone's throw away from Worcester College where I attended for one and a half years, are currently dead last in the league, bagging just 20 points thus far from 5 games.

Lancashire are somewhat underperforming this year, and it's nice to see Glamorgan where they belong, right at the bottom of the league, thanks to them rashly handing out a debut this year to the far-too young and inexperienced James Harris. Meh. I'm not bitter in any way. Oh to be seventeen again...

That's all. This week, it's Durham v. Lancashire and Sussex v. Hampshire. In the meantime, Zimbabwe have had their Test status temporarily revoked, Michael Vaughan says stupid things, while the oddly promising Daniel Birch makes his first-class debut.

Until next time...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/07 at 12:17 am

In the County Championship match in D2 at Lord's, where Middlesex beat Somerset by seven wickets, saw a strange declaration in the Somerset first innings at 50 for 8, due to the state of the wicket. Not trusting his last two players as batsmen, the Somerset Captain Justin Langer thought that the wicket pitch would turn to his advantage, but all turned out wrong for him when the opening Middlesex batsmen made a first wicket stand of 97.

Written By: Bobo on 06/08/07 at 9:26 pm

Interesting stuff, Philip, I'd completely missed that happening.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/07 at 2:23 am

I was there, after the eighth wicket suddenly all the players walked off the field. The light was perfect and I joking said "Declaration" which did come true.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/07 at 2:26 am

From inthenews.co.uk

Somerset skipper Justin Langer tried bowling Middlesex a googly at Lord's yesterday by declaring his side's first innings at 50-8 on the second morning of play. Bemused spectators (OK, groundstaff) were left well and truly stumped by the former Australian opener's decision to call an abrupt halt to Somerset's dismal showing with the bat.

It turns out the thinking behind Langer's unorthodox decision, aside from denying the home team another bonus point, was that conditions were bowler-friendly - and the sooner his seamers could get stuck into the Middlesex openers the better. So he was left with egg on his face when youngster Nick Compton and Billy Godleman put on 97 for the first wicket, helping Middlesex on their way to a 202-run lead.

And to further prove it was Somerset's inept batting, rather than the weather or pitch conditions, which were to blame Chris Silverwood and Alan Richardson continued their mesmeric form of late by removing both openers without a run on the board. A bad day at his old office for Langer.

Written By: Bobo on 06/09/07 at 4:35 pm

Sussex make 20 points from a single game, jumping three points in the league to second place. Worcestershire in D1 and Leicestershire in D2 remain winless.

Leicestershire handed a County Cricket debut to South African Garnett Kruger, who has moved to the club from the Lions, though I will be interested to see what he does come the Northern Hemisphere autumn, when the SuperSport series starts again.

Yorkshire are leading Division One, while Nottinghamshire top Divison Two. Meanwhile tomorrow sees the latest in a set of single-day 50-over matches in the Friends Provident trophy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/07 at 12:21 am

Today Middlesex play the curious match against Ireland. It could be a tuoghy for Ireland performed very well in the 2007 Cricket World Cup.

Written By: Bobo on 06/10/07 at 3:39 am

Indeed, today also sees the latest rounds in the Minor Counties Championship, with Shropshire taking on Berkshire. The Windies still need 432 runs if they're planning to win the Test.

Of all the players who have played all seven games of this season so far, the leader in the averages is Mark Ramprakash, thanks to his innings of 266 not out, he is the only player who has played every game and is averaging more than 100 so far this season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/07 at 4:44 am

Indeed, today also sees the latest rounds in the Minor Counties Championship, with Shropshire taking on Berkshire. The Windies still need 432 runs if they're planning to win the Test.

Of all the players who have played all seven games of this season so far, the leader in the averages is Mark Ramprakash, thanks to his innings of 266 not out, he is the only player who has played every game and is averaging more than 100 so far this season.
Mark Ramprakash has been phenomenal since leaving Middlesex, it is a shame he is too old for the England Squad now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/07 at 8:40 am

England victory seals Test series

Monty Panesar takes 10-187 in the match to help England beat West Indies by 60 runs and secure the series.

Written By: Bobo on 06/11/07 at 4:57 pm

It's amazing some of the cricket players from the minor countries, one guy who is still playing regular first-team cricket for Belgium is 55 years old. He still has fire in his belly. Meanwhile on the sadder end of the scale are players like Marc Olivier, a Namibian cricketer who died in a motorcycle accident in December last year at the age of just nineteen - the same age as, from what I can gather, was one of the youngest first-class cricketers on record to die Joseph Chatterton.

Somehow, you know, I realized I could slip in somewhere, two of the Wikipedia articles I had written! :D

It is a shame he is too old for the England Squad now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/07 at 5:25 am

The prospects of play look bleak on the opening day of the fourth Test between England and the West Indies because of heavy rain.

Written By: Bobo on 06/21/07 at 9:17 pm

Ajmal Shahzad proves once again to be a worthy addition to this year's Yorkshire first eleven, scoring a career-best 32* from tenth in the lineup. My second team, Derbyshire, hand a debut to former Nottinghamshire player Richard Hodgkinson.

Meanwhile, Yorkshire lead Division One and Somerset lead Division Two. Nothing is happening now until July 8, when Middlesex face Derbyshire, and top-of-the-table Yorkshire face Lancashire. Paul Collingwood makes his fifth Test century, which means he has now scored more century innings (five) than he has half-century innings (four).

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 1:42 am

The reason for the break in the domestic English cricket season is for the it the start of the 20-20 tournament, which is not real cricket.

Written By: Bobo on 06/22/07 at 10:02 pm

As for what's going on in the competition, Warwickshire become the only "Midlands/Wales/West Division" team to pull off a victory in their first fixture, probably still due to the torrential rains and suchlike, forcing other teams to play out no-hope draws, after a failed late runchase from Somerset, led mostly by newbie Craig Keiswetter, their brand new Kolpak signing for 2007.

However I have just picked up from my sources that each of the eighteen teams next year is going to be once again limited to only one foreign player rather than two as has been the case previously. Sussex are currently right at the bottom of the South Division and if they play that badly again, that is where they shall stay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/07 at 2:42 am

As per usual Middlesex lose their 20-20 match, Surrey beat them by 6 wickets.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/07 at 3:36 am

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1240/593223739_79513306ee_m.jpg

With the state of the clouds and the currently weather situation it is amazing that the Surrey v Middlesex game was completed.

Written By: karen on 06/25/07 at 7:33 am

The reason for the break in the domestic English cricket season is for the it the start of the 20-20 tournament, which is not real cricket.

I don't care.  Leicestershire won!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/07 at 7:59 am

I don't care.  Leicestershire won!
The match betweenMiddlesex and Sussex was rained off yesterday, and today play Hampshire which lacks Shane Warne and Shaun Udal.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/07 at 4:46 am

In the 1st ODI against West Indies, England have recalled Ian Bell, Monty Panesar and Liam Plunkett.

West Indies won the toss and opted to bat first against England at an overcast Lord's in the opening match of the best-of-three one-day series.

Written By: Bobo on 07/02/07 at 11:38 am

The Twenty20 Cup continues, Warwickshire have nine points from ten thus far, having had one match abandoned, while Derbyshire are stuck at the bottom of the North division, and Surrey are at the top of the south division.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/07 at 11:47 am

The Twenty20 Cup continues, Warwickshire have nine points from ten thus far, having had one match abandoned, while Derbyshire are stuck at the bottom of the North division, and Surrey are at the top of the south division.
Once again today's round of Twenty20 is rain affected with Northamptonshire v Gloucestershire being abandoned as no result.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 11:28 am

The England and Wales Cricket Board is "determined to stamp out" unruly behaviour from supporters following a spate of incidents at Twenty20 matches.

Written By: Bobo on 07/07/07 at 8:55 pm

Today begin the first County Championship matches for over three weeks, Derbyshire face Middlesex at one of only two matches this season to be played at John Walker's Ground in Southgate. Yorkshire still top out Division One, while Somerset, fresh from their bottom placing in last year's Division Two, now head the league, having won more matches in the first half of this season than in the whole of last.

Sussex in general have been much more cautious than their lower-echelon teams, having handed out just one debut in the entire season, to former Foxes boy Chris Liddle. He is a promising-looking young thing considering he started out his career in the tailend.

We shall see.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/07 at 12:26 am

Today begin the first County Championship matches for over three weeks, Derbyshire face Middlesex at one of only two matches this season to be played at John Walker's Ground in Southgate. Yorkshire still top out Division One, while Somerset, fresh from their bottom placing in last year's Division Two, now head the league, having won more matches in the first half of this season than in the whole of last.

Sussex in general have been much more cautious than their lower-echelon teams, having handed out just one debut in the entire season, to former Foxes boy Chris Liddle. He is a promising-looking young thing considering he started out his career in the tailend.

We shall see.
This is the first I have known a County Championship match to start on a Sunday, and weather looks it might up today.

Written By: Bobo on 07/11/07 at 9:56 am

Jesus Christ, this is worth a mention.

Essex hit 700-9 declared, just 61 runs off a team first-class record, James Foster having contributed 204 of these runs before being caught out. Nottinghamshire reply with 791 all out, beating their previous highest score of 739—7 declared, 104 years ago.

Full scorecard is here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/07 at 2:46 pm

Jesus Christ, this is worth a mention.

Essex hit 700-9 declared, just 61 runs off a team first-class record, James Foster having contributed 204 of these runs before being caught out. Nottinghamshire reply with 791 all out, beating their previous highest score of 739—7 declared, 104 years ago.

Full scorecard is here.
Please note, that in this match the two highest scorers of each side, James Foster (204) of Essex and Chirs Read (240) of Nottinghamshire, are both wicketkeepers.

Written By: Bobo on 07/11/07 at 3:40 pm

Please note, that in this match the two highest scorers of each side, James Foster (204) of Essex and Chirs Read (240) of Nottinghamshire, are both wicketkeepers.

Yes indeed, I had only just read that, Read on 240 becoming the first Nottinghamshire wicket-keeper to hit a double-century.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/07 at 3:44 pm

Yes indeed, I had only just read that, Read on 240 becoming the first Nottinghamshire wicket-keeper to hit a double-century.
Today Ben Scott the wicketkeeper when he was out for lbw for a duck, it started the collapse of Middlesex chase to reach 282, which Middlesex subsequently lost. Our hopes were high with we were on 165/4, but we were soon to lose.

Written By: Bobo on 07/11/07 at 10:05 pm

Shropshire are, for the time being, leading the Minor Counties Championship Western Division, with, if the worst comes to the worst, Devon picking up six points more than us from an abandonment. Though the weather may have calmed down by the time that comes to pass.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/07 at 1:00 am

After scoring 146 in the first innings, Marcus Trescothick is unbeaten on 69 in the second innings as Somerset defy the odds to beat Northants by nine wickets.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/07 at 4:10 pm

England hope to build on a 3-0 win over West Indies when they begin the second Test series of the summer on Thursday against India.

India have won just once in 14 Tests at Lord's but Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar have scored more than 25,000 Test runs between them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/07 at 2:35 am

England have reach 77-2 in their second innings, 174 ahead, after a rain-affected third day of the first Test against India at Lord's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/07 at 1:42 pm

Ottis Gibson became the first bowler to take all 10 wickets in a Championship innings for 13 years as Durham skittled Hampshire at the Riverside.

The 38-year-old took 10-47 in three continuous spells either side of lunch and after a rain interruption.

It was the first time the feat had been achieved in the Championship since Middlesex's Richard Johnson took 10-45 against Derbyshire in 1994.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/07 at 4:40 pm

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1017/877197293_c9b9816ee9_m.jpg

Cricket commentator Jonathan Agnew interviewing Daniel Radcliffe at Lord's during the Test Match at Lords.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/07 at 9:53 am

England fell agonisingly short of victory in the first Test against India at Lord’s yesterday as the worst summer weather for nearly 60 years came to the rescue of the touring team. With India 98 runs short of their victory target of 380 and England needing only one wicket to take the lead in the three-Test series, bad light stopped play before rain forced the match to be abandoned as a draw.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/07 at 4:54 am

SECOND NPOWER TEST, Trent Bridge: England v India
Start delayed, damp outfield

The start of the second Test between England and India at Trent Bridge will be delayed as groundstaff race to prepare the outfield for the match.

Heavy rain on Wednesday and Thursday left the outfield under water, but a dry night and fine conditions on Friday morning offered more encouragement.

As the mopping up continues, the bowlers' run-ups remain the areas of principal concern for the captains.

Inspections were due every half hour, with a possible start at 1200 BST.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/07 at 2:36 am

On the final day of play, India are left needing just 73 to beat England and take a 1-0 lead in the Test series after bowling out the hosts for 355 on the fourth day at Trent Bridge.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/07 at 5:57 am

THIRD NPOWER TEST, The Oval (day five):
India 664 & 180-6 v England 345 & 79-1

England require the total of 500 runs to win

WICKET: Strauss c Laxman b Singh 32 (Eng 79-1)

England require another 421 runs with 9 wickets remaining to win

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/07 at 5:14 am

Friends Provident Trophy final, Lord's:
Durham 312-5 (50 ovs) v Hampshire 158-5 (32.3 ovs)
Resumption delayed by rain

Durham's quest to secure the FP Trophy was again disrupted by the elements as rain prevented a resumption against Hampshire at Lord's on Sunday morning.

Lord's looked a desolate arena, with vast areas of empty white seats as the covers took care of the square.

When play does resume, Hampshire will somehow try to revive their innings.

They require 155 runs from 17.3 overs, but have Dimitri Mascarenhas and Nic Pothas at the crease, with eternal optimist Shane Warne still to come.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/07 at 9:37 am

Friends Provident Trophy final, Lord's:
Durham 312-5 (50 ovs) v Hampshire 158-5 (32.3 ovs)
Resumption delayed by rain

Durham's quest to secure the FP Trophy was again disrupted by the elements as rain prevented a resumption against Hampshire at Lord's on Sunday morning.

Lord's looked a desolate arena, with vast areas of empty white seats as the covers took care of the square.

When play does resume, Hampshire will somehow try to revive their innings.

They require 155 runs from 17.3 overs, but have Dimitri Mascarenhas and Nic Pothas at the crease, with eternal optimist Shane Warne still to come.

Durham earned their first major success with a 125-run win over Hampshire in the Friends Provident Trophy final. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/07 at 5:14 pm

Once again the bad weather has played havoc with the latest round of County Championship matches.

Surrey drew with Sussex. Match abandoned without a ball being bowled, due to rain.

Kent drew with Worcestershire. In a match that was consisted of a two innings game.

Middlesex versus Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire trail by 208 runs with 5 wickets remaining in the 1st innings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/07 at 12:52 am

Mark Ramprakash compiled his seventh Championship hundred of the summer and passed 30,000 first-class runs on day one against Hampshire at the Rose Bowl.

Ramprakash hit a six and 16 fours and was unbeaten on 124 out of Surrey's 283-2 when bad light ended play.

Written By: Bobo on 09/01/07 at 10:59 pm

In other news, my second team (internationally speaking) are victorious in the African Under-19 Championship, with an excellent performance from new boys and openers Raymond van Schoor, Tiaan Louw, and Sean Silver. van Schoor is the former captain of the burgeoning under-15s team.

Meanwhile, most teams now only have two games left in the County Championship season. With an 11.5 point gap at the top of division one, Yorkshire look safe for another title, while Somerset are mathematically uncatchable at the top. Worcestershire, who have suffered one of the worst seasons in my memory if not just for results' sake then the floods.

Incidentally, in neither the 14-point victory seasons up to this date, nor the 12-point victory seasons, no single team has scored a smaller proportion of the available points to them (at this point in the season), since the beginning of my life, almost entirely thanks to the inclement weather.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/07 at 1:41 am

Meanwhile, most teams now only have two games left in the County Championship season. With an 11.5 point gap at the top of division one, Yorkshire look safe for another title, while Somerset are mathematically uncatchable at the top. Worcestershire, who have suffered one of the worst seasons in my memory if not just for results' sake then the floods.

In the County Championship Division 2, Middlesex have three games left to play, but will need maximum points and rely on the top teams not attaining many.

Written By: Bobo on 09/05/07 at 10:37 am

England are trying to keep the Indian total as low as possible, only two wickets have gone at the time I am writing this, but more importantly...

While Sachin Tendulkar hits his 83rd one-day half-century, and Sourav Ganguly his 71st, in the final over of the English innings, Dimitri Mascarenhas hit five consecutive sixes. Something of an incredible feat especially in the final innings of what looks to be a lost cause.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 12:11 pm

England are trying to keep the Indian total as low as possible, only two wickets have gone at the time I am writing this, but more importantly...

While Sachin Tendulkar hits his 83rd one-day half-century, and Sourav Ganguly his 71st, in the final over of the English innings, Dimitri Mascarenhas hit five consecutive sixes. Something of an incredible feat especially in the final innings of what looks to be a lost cause.
...and India win the game.

Written By: karen on 09/06/07 at 9:53 am

Dimitri Mascarenhas hit five consecutive sixes. Something of an incredible feat especially in the final innings of what looks to be a lost cause.

We were trying to decide if anyone has ever hit six sixes in an international?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/07 at 9:59 am

This is what the commentators on Sky and Test Match Special (on the radio) were asking. It has been done in first class cricket at least once by Garfield Sobers back in the late sixties. Let me try and find out more.

Written By: Bobo on 09/06/07 at 11:48 am

Please view this video to view Herschelle Gibbs managing the same feat, the first time it had been achieved in one-day cricket, following, as they say later in the video, the twice it had been achieved before, by Gary Sobers and Ravi Shastri.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/07 at 1:04 pm

Please view this video to view Herschelle Gibbs managing the same feat, the first time it had been achieved in one-day cricket, following, as they say later in the video, the twice it had been achieved before, by Gary Sobers and Ravi Shastri.
Cricket Six Sixes in an Over by Sir Gary Sobers

Written By: Bobo on 09/06/07 at 2:11 pm

Thank you for providing that link, Philip. I hadn't the time to search for it and hyperlink it here!

Cricket Six Sixes in an Over by Sir Gary Sobers

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/07 at 2:13 pm

Freddy Filntoff achieved six sixes once, or at lease he scored a magnificent figure for Lancashire, around about the time he started playing for England.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/07 at 2:14 pm

Thank you for providing that link, Philip. I hadn't the time to search for it and hyperlink it here!
To put this in true prospective, I remember watching live on Grandstand on BBC TV.

Written By: Bobo on 09/07/07 at 11:08 am

Stephen Fleming hits a double century as Nottinghamshire make 548-9 declared. Sutton and Mahmood share a ninth-wicket partnership of 69 for Lancashire against Durham.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/07 at 11:57 am

Stephen Fleming hits a double century as Nottinghamshire make 548-9 declared. Sutton and Mahmood share a ninth-wicket partnership of 69 for Lancashire against Durham.
Middlesex's chances of promotion depends on this match and I cannot see Derby beating Nottinghamshire now.

Written By: Bobo on 09/07/07 at 3:38 pm

Somerset are Division Two champions and gain promotion into next year's County Championship Division One.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/07 at 4:58 am

Somerset are Division Two champions and gain promotion into next year's County Championship Division One.
Nottinghamshire all but won promotion to Championship Division One after thrashing Derbyshire by an innings.

That means Division Two for Middlesex next year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/07 at 7:00 am

History was made last night at the Lord's Cricket Ground when then first floodlit game was played for the Pro40 Division Two match between Middlesex and Derbyshire, in which Middlesex 199-6 won by four wickets.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44108000/jpg/_44108393_lords416.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/07 at 7:26 am

Freddy Filntoff achieved six sixes once, or at lease he scored a magnificent figure for Lancashire, around about the time he started playing for England.
Andrew "Freddy" Flintoff scored 34 (6, 4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 6, 0) of an over from AJ Tudor (which included two no-balls) in the Lancashire v Surrey match at Manchester in 1998, altogether with the two no-balls counting for two extra runs each under ECB regulations, that total for that over was 38.

Written By: Bobo on 09/19/07 at 2:17 pm

On the same topic..!

Yuvraj Singh becomes the first player to hit six sixes in a Twenty20 match. Team-mate Verinder Sehwag says: "He has a lot of power so he can hit it wherever he wants, he was awesome."

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/07 at 2:19 pm

On the same topic..!

Yuvraj Singh becomes the first player to hit six sixes in a Twenty20 match. Team-mate Verinder Sehwag says: "He has a lot of power so he can hit it wherever he wants, he was awesome."
Just saw on television and after losing to India, England are well and truly paciking their bags to come home.

Written By: Bobo on 09/19/07 at 2:20 pm

I haven't seen it, was it as good as Sehwag made it sound?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/07 at 2:21 pm

Nottinghamshire all but won promotion to Championship Division One after thrashing Derbyshire by an innings.

That means Division Two for Middlesex next year.
Nottinghamshire only needed to gain one point in the last game of the season to gain promotion, which they did achieve.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/07 at 2:21 pm

I haven't seen it, was it as good as Sehwag made it sound?
There was a look of delight on his face.

Written By: Bobo on 09/19/07 at 2:26 pm

There was a look of delight on his face.

I'm certain there will soon be clips up on Youtube as there are for Sobers, Shastri and Gibbs.

Written By: Bobo on 09/19/07 at 3:21 pm

What's more of course, is that it was Yuvraj Singh who bowled the over that Dimitri Mascarenhas hit five sixes off just last month.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/07 at 3:54 pm

What's more of course, is that it was Yuvraj Singh who bowled the over that Dimitri Mascarenhas hit five sixes off just last month.
It is a small world? I bet Yuvraj Singh has been practicing.

Written By: Bobo on 09/21/07 at 11:28 pm

Worcestershire's Daryl Mitchell carries his bat for 70 throughout an in-the-end uninspiring first innings, Mushtaq is on a half-century plus, not out, but Worcestershire still need 130 to avoid the follow-on and to stop Sussex from clinching second spot.

Durham up top have finished their final game, while Lancashire are a long way behind in theirs. All in all, a fabulous advertisement throughout the season for County Cricket's newest representatives. Here's to the start of the 2008 season!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/07 at 3:39 am

Surrey batsman Mark Ramprakash re-wrote the history books on Friday at the same time as severely denting Lancashire's chances of becoming county champions.

The former England batsman, 38, scored an unbeaten 130 at the Oval as he reached 2026 runs for the season at an average of 101.30.

By achieving those feats for a second year in a row he became the first cricketer in history to do so.

Ramprakash has now scored 19 centuries this season and 97 in his career.

Surrey eventually declared with the score on 295 for five, with Ramprakash having faced 255 balls with 19 fours and a six, leaving Lancashire an unlikely target of 489 runs for victory with 112 overs left in the match.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/07 at 3:40 am

Surrey batsman Mark Ramprakash re-wrote the history books on Friday at the same time as severely denting Lancashire's chances of becoming county champions.

The former England batsman, 38, scored an unbeaten 130 at the Oval as he reached 2026 runs for the season at an average of 101.30.

By achieving those feats for a second year in a row he became the first cricketer in history to do so.

Ramprakash has now scored 19 centuries this season and 97 in his career.

Surrey eventually declared with the score on 295 for five, with Ramprakash having faced 255 balls with 19 fours and a six, leaving Lancashire an unlikely target of 489 runs for victory with 112 overs left in the match.

We planning for next season to be at the match when Mark Ramprakash reaches his hundredth 100.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/07 at 11:55 am

NatWest Pro40 play-off, Southgate: Middlesex (151-4) bt Northamptonshire (148 all out) by six wickets

Middlesex Crusaders secured promotion to Division One of the Pro40 after beating Northamptonshire in the play-off by six wickets at Southgate.

Check for new replies or respond here...